New About Search Data Deeds Military Wills Links Query Home




Oxford Torch Light
Tuesday, January 5, 1886

In Memoriam.

Died suddenly, on the morning of the 30th November, at Cloverdale, her residence, near oxford, in Granville Co., in the 65th year of her age. Mrs. Elizabeth Hammie, wife of Mr. R. H. Hammie and youngest daughter of Mrs. Susan Davis, so well and favorably known in this community many years ago. The subject of this notice was a lady of such rarely refined, modest, pure and humble christian qualities making those who knew her to love her dearly—it is pain unspeakable to think of her as being dead. She fulfilled every relation of his so fully, it is difficult to assert in which she shone most beautifully. The sad wail of the aged-husband with whom she lived in loving affection for nearly 46 years would be sufficient proof of the best man in which he held her if her long and tender ministration had not borne its own testimony. She was everything to him, and he has been often heard to say that she was more lovely to him in her advanced years than when he claimed her his bonny bride. There surely never lived a happier mother and with better cause than Mrs. Hammie. For she lived to see all eight sweet daughters and two exemplary sons members of the church—Episcopal—to which she belonged.
The loving and devote friendship, and most tender regard and consideration between mother and children was indeed a rare beautiful example



Oxford Public Ledger
Friday, September 10, 1909

A Sad Death

The community around Gray Rock church was made sad on August 31st, 1909, when the Death Angel entered the
home of Mr. Len Harris and took from it the beloved wife and mother, Mrs. Harris was sister of the late David Blackly, Esq. She leaves to mourn for her a husband, one daughter, Mrs. Ross Longmire, and four sons, Messrs. Willie, L. T., Athial and P. H. Harris, besides a host of loving friends and relations Mrs. Harris had suffered for about a year with that dread disease, dropsy, and all that loving hands and good Dr. J. A. Morris could do was done, but it seemed as if nothing could stay the hold of Death.
Truly a good woman has gone to her reward. She was a most consistent church member, having been a member of gray Rock Methodist church for fifty years old. To the bereaved children we would say that we know the idea of giving her up is hard, but you should look to Jesus and be comforted. –Mary E. B.



Oxford Public Ledger
January 29, 1952

Jas. Elmo Harris
Passes In County

Funeral Rites For Providence Farmer to Be Conducted at 2:30 Today

James Elmo Harris, 44, a farmer of Providence community, died at his home at 8:15 a.m. Monday. Death was ascribed to heart disease with which he had suffered for many months.
The funeral is to be conducted today, Tuesday, Providence at 2:30 p.m. by Rev. Clyde F. Melton, Baptist minister. Burial will be in Elmwood cemetery in this city.
Mr. Harris was the son of the Mrs. Lillie Harris and the late Amos Harris of Providence.
Surviving in addition to his mother are his wife, the former Mary Brodgen, a son, James Samuel Harris, a sister, Mrs. B. S. Murray, four brothers, Hunter, Woodrow and Wallace Harris, all of Providence and Samuel Harris of Roxboro.



Oxford Public Ledger
Thursday, May 7, 1903
His Life Crushed Out.

Logan Harris, who was hauling logs for Messrs., Henry & Veazey near Creedmoor, was killed Thursday. A log rolled off the wagon, throwing Harris under it and crushed him to death.
Mr. Henry provided a nice burial for the unfortunate man. The remains were interred Friday at Stem.
At the time of his death, Harris had a license in his pocket to marry a woman by the name of Husketh, and the ceremony was to have taken place Sunday--Durham Sun.---




Oxford Public Ledger
Friday, January 25, 1907

Death Of Mr. M. D. Harris

Mr. M. D. Harris
was born 1854 and died January 9, 1907, thus making him fifty three years old. He was born and raised in Granville county where he died. He was the son of the late David Harris, “Nat “ as he was familiarly called was a good boy and at the early age of fourteen years he joined the Amis Chapel Baptist Church and the church lost a good and consecrated member in his death. Mr. Harris had been in declining health for several months and had been confined to his room for some time, and his death was not unexpected by his friends and family. He is survived by his wife who was Miss Mollie Ellixson, together with five children, three boys, Lonnie, Claud, Earl, and two girls, Mary and Gertrude, a brother and two sisters also survive him.
Rev. P. H. Fontaine preached his funeral from his home on Friday p.m. from the one hundred and third psalm, after which the remains were interred at the old family burying ground at Mr. Dave Fraziers to await the resurrection morn.
The pall bearers were: Messrs., Johnny Watkins, Walter Jones, Ballard Norwood, J. C. Harris, and J. L. Chandler. To the grief stricken loved ones we offer our most heartfelt sympathy in their deep sorrow. Remember it is not all of life to live nor all of death to die. He is only gone, before, yet a little while and we too shall answer the last roll call and shall pass over the dark and silent river of death to be with loved ones gone before and there will be a glorious reunion then. May God sustain the grief stricken widow and children in their sorrow. ---I. B. N.



The Public Ledger
Thursday, October 19, 1899

Entered Into Rest.

Mrs. Margaret L. Harris, daughter of Horace
Bumpass, and wife of Rudolph Harris, died September 17, 1899, in the 26th year of her age.
During her last sickness, which was protracted and painful, she maintained great cheerfulness. She found her sorest trial in leaving behind three little children. Her only sister, Miss Edith Bumpass, and her three brothers, Robert, Horace and Thomas Bumpass showed her much kindness and affection.
Possessing a cheerful disposition, she was never fretful. Her life seemed to illustrate the Bible teaching, “Beloved think it not strangle concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you.”
But rejoice in as much as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that when his glory shall be revealed, ye may, be glad also with exceeding joy.” Peter 4 : 12 and 13.
When only about 12 years old she joined the M. e. Church, South, at Webb’s Chapel; and the best people of her church say that she was a good member. That she was held in high esteem by many, was evidenced by the great gathering of her burial at her father’s old home. Brother Thomas H. Street, of the Missionary Baptist, conducting the services.

May God’s grace come to the sorrow stricken ones, both to comfort and to save.
R. H. Broom, Pastor.
Roxboro Courier.



Public Ledger
Thursday, August 10, 1899
Sweetly Sleeping.

At the residence of Maj. John M. Crenshaw, near Wake Forest, on Saturday morning, July 22, at 9 o’clock, Mr. Robt. E. Harris, quietly passed away. He was born March 16 1804.
Truly a good man has fallen. No stain or dishonor rests upon his name and character. Kind heaven smiled upon his life with length of days allotted to but few, and we are assured that the world is better by his having lived in it. He was emotional in his nature, and tender in his feelings. All the better elements ruled in his daily life. Some of his virtues may have been overlooked, not recognized, yet to us they shone with a luster unseen by many of larger pretensions. A more even tempered man than Uncle Robt., I don’t suppose ever lived. We mourn his departure, and by the grace of God we hope to meet him in the better world. ----A. C. W.--



Oxford Public Ledger
August 14,1925

Wesley Hart Dead
Funeral services At the Presbyterian Church this Afternoon at 4 O’clock.

David Wesley Hart, aged 74, died at his home on Williamsboro street late yesterday afternoon after an illness of several weeks.
Funeral services, conducted by Rev. Kennison, of Durham, will be held from, the church, which the deceased was a member, this afternoon, and the internment will follow at Elmwood Cemetery.
Mr. Hart is survived by the following children, G. W. Hart, Winston Salem; Mrs. W. H. Turlington, Fayetteville, C. P. Hart, Welville, Virginia, Miss Virginia Hart and Edwin Hart of Oxford; his widow, formerly Miss Pattie Currin. One of his sons, Ernest F. Hart, was killed in France during the World War and the Ernest F. Hart, Post, American Legion in Oxford is named in his honor.




Oxford Public Ledger
Thursday, February 15, 1900

Peaceful Be Thy Sleep.

The Soveign Ruler of the Universe has seen fit o gather another one of his faithful children to dwell with him in a “Home in Glory.”
Mrs. Susan Haskins, of Stem, who was on a visit to her daughter, Mrs. H. T. Beasley, at Louisburg, was stricken with paralysis and died on Wednesday, the 8th inst.
The remains were carried to Stem Thursday afternoon, and the funeral services were conducted by Rev. A. McCullen, of Oxford, in an impressive manner, after which they were interred by tender hands in the cemetery at that place.
Mrs. Haskins was 69 yeas of age and for many years truly a consistent member of Moore’s M. E. Church, and noted for her piety. She was greatly beloved in her community and will be greatly missed, and many eyes were filled with tears on hearing that she had passed, “Beyond the smiling and the weeping,” and was sweetly sleeping on the “Evergreen shore.”
She was the mother of most highly esteemed friend, Mr. John Haskins, to whom our deepest sympathies go out in the tenderest manner, as well as to the other members of the family in the irreparable loss they have called upon to sustain. May God of Love and Mercy comfort then in the sad hour of grief.





Oxford Public Ledger
Friday, January 19, 1894
Death Of Mrs. Charity Hester.

A writer in the Orphan’s Friend in speaking of this good lady says:
Mrs. Charity Hester, widow of the late Rev. B. B. Hester, of Granville county, NC, after a long and eminently useful life, died December 3, 1893, at her home where she lived fifty-eight years . She was born September 12th 1813, so she lived to the ripe old age of eighty years, two months and twenty-one days. She was married to B. B. Hester November 11, 1829, and they lived happily together for more than 62 years. Thirteen children were born unto them of whom ten are still living. She professed faith on Christ when quite young, but doubts disturbed her until a gracious revival at Banks Chapel occurred even after marriage where she and her husband sought and found “the assurance of forgiveness and acceptance. From that glad hour she was a happy and devoted Christian.


Oxford Public Ledger
Tuesday, August 26, 1890

Death Of Franklin B. Hester

Mr. Franklin B. Hester, died in Oxford on Thursday the 21st, at the residence of Col. R. O. Gregory. He was the brother of the late M. H. Hester, and he and his brother were ever residents of the same household until the death of the former a few years ago.
Mr. F. B. Hester never married and he and his brother carried on a farm conjointly for many years using everything in common and participating equally in the privileges of the plantation without disagreement or discord. Both of them were gentlemen of gentle, pleasant manners, and great kindness of nature. They lived in peace with the world, were kind neighbors, both of them being greatly esteemed by their acquaintances. The tie that bound together in life was so strong and tender that in writing of the one the character of both naturally arisen before imagination.
Mr. F. B. Hester has lived considerably beyond the period usually allowed to mortals, though for the past several years his health has been feeble, and for some time before his demise it was manifest to his friends the ravage of time was gradually but surely doing its work. He was a strict member of the Baptist church on whose service he attended until the infirmities of age rendered it impracticable for him to do so. His life was quiet and blameless. His friendships were sincere and faithful. His faith in Christ was strong and his work was Godly. In his death another valuable link that binds this generation to the past broken. He was 77 years old. -----------




Oxford Public Ledger
Tuesday, January 4, 1921
The Death Record

Miss Laura Hester died at the home of her brother, Mr. B. F. Hester on Wednesday. Miss Hester had been an invalid for years. The interment was held Thursday at the family burying ground. The deceased leaves one sister Mrs. Parham of Oxford, and a brother B. F. Hester with whom she had lived.


Oxford Torch Light
Tuesday , October 23, 1883


At Boggy Depot Indian Territory October 11, 1883, Mrs. Rebecca Hester, in the 78th year, of her age. The deceased was born in Granville county North Carolina and married to Thomas T. Hester, about the year 1872 and moved to the state of Arkansas in 1852 then to the Indian Territory in 1872. She was a consistent and faithful member of the Baptist church for more than 40 years, having joined the Church at Tabbs Creek and was baptized by Elder J. S. Purifoy, who was then Pastor. She passed away calmly and peacefully in full triumph of a living faith . Only 2 days before her final exit, she talked freely about her departure. Said she had lived out her, three score years and then told her daughter where she wanted to be buried.
The Passage of scripture and hymn she wanted read and sung at her funeral. This closes a long and active life, (especially her last years) was spent in trying to make others happy.


Oxford Public Ledger
Thursday, January 18, 1900

Tribute to the Memory
of Benjamin Willis Hicks, read at his Funeral, December 31, 1899.
Benjamin Willis Hicks, twelfth and youngest child of Abner Hicks and Elizabeth Harris Hicks his wife and last survivor of that family, born T Red-Garden, four miles East of Oxford, in Granville county, North Carolina on the 15th day of October in the year of our Lord 1828, and departed this life on the 30th day of December, 1899. He spent his entire life, except four years in Virginia in the Military Service of the Southern Confederacy, and died and his mortal body will today be buried, at the place where he was born, by the side of the remains of his father and grandfather who, with him, by the grace of God owned and dwelt upon this homestead. (purchased by his grandfather from the Earl of Granville.), more than one hundred and fifty-seven years.
He was married to Isabella Jane Crews, daughter of a near neighbor and a distant relation in the moth of October, 1854. For more than 45 years they were a help meet for each other. She, with seven children, issue of said marriage, survives.
He was a faithful Christian and loyal supporter of the church (the Methodist Protestant), throughout his entire life. He prayed with his family twice daily and at noon in his closet.
This sacred soil over which he and his ancestors held dominion, was never the subject of a mortgage; nor were deceased or his tenants or servants ever suitors or respondents in the Courts of the Country.
To owe no man anything and to do his duty to his God, his country and his family were the guiding stars of his long career, as of his father before him. He kept in mind and often repeated the requirements of God as expresses by his prophet: “To do justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly before thy God.” Those things he did. He dwelt in love and charity with his neighbors, served his generation by the will of God; and surrounded by his family and friends departed this world in full confidence and blessed hope of an everlasting home in a world free from sorrow and sin---
And “tho from out our bourn of time and place. The flood has borne him far. We hope to see again his blessed face. When we have crossed the bar. -----


Oxford Public Ledger
February 18, 1936

Patrick Hight Is Buried Saturday

Son Of Late Mr. And Mrs. R. M. Hight Succumbs to Pneumonia at His Home

Patrick Hight died at his home in Fishing Creek township, route 3, eight miles from Oxford, after an illness of pneumonia.
The funeral was conducted Saturday afternoon at Peace’s chapel church, Rev. E. G. Usry, Baptist minister, was in charge of the service. Intement was in the church cemetery.
A son of the late Mr. And Mrs. R. M. Hight, Mr. Hight was 34 years of age. He had been engaged in farming at the Hight homeplace, living there with his sister, He had never married. Mr. Hight was well known over the county and his death was a shock to his host of friends.
Surviving are two brothers, Robert and H. A. Hight and four sisters, Mrs. Hurley Newton, miss Jennie Hight, Mrs. Carrie Davis and Mrs. Arch Davis, all of this county.





Oxford Public Ledger
Friday, March 10, 1905

Mr. B. F. Hobgood Dead-Came Here to Beside of His Mother In-law And Suffered Stroke of Paralysis.

Benjamin F. Hobgood, of Oxford, NC. died at 6 o’clock Monday evening at the home of his brother in law, John T. White, 506 North Marshall Avenue, Brawnleton, as the result of Paralysis. His paralysis seizure occurred some time Saturday night or early Sunday morning, but his condition was not discovered until he was called on Sunday morning for breakfast.
Mr. Hobgood was summone to Northfolk with his wife and son last week on account of the illness of his mother in law, Mrs. Mary W. White, whose death occurred last Thursday. His health appeared to be excellent, but it is probably that the affliction through which the family has recently passed in the death of Mrs. White had some effect in hastening his own collapse.
Mr. Hobgood was formerly engaged in farming near Oxford, but for several years had been engaged in business in that town. He was 60 years of age.
Mr. Hobgood is survived by his widow, formerly Miss Carrie White of Portsmouth; a daughter, Miss Jessie Hobgood; and two sons, Benjamin Hobgood, of Jacksonville, and Harry Hobgood, and one brother Prof. F.P. Hobgood, President of Oxford Female Seminary, who was by his bedside when the end came.
The funeral services took place on Wednesday morning 11 o’clock at 506 North Marshall Avenue-Norfolk Landmark. The sudden death of Mr. Hobgood was a shock to his friends and relatives in Oxford and Granville and deep sympathy is expressed on all sides for the bereaved ones.-------



Public Ledger
Friday, July 10, 1891

Death of Mrs. Harriet Hobgood

On Tuesday morning last the messenger of death visited suddenly the residence of Mr. J. F. White on Raleigh street and claimed as its victim the soul of Mrs. Harriet Hobgood, relict of the late Mr. Henry Hobgood in the 66th year of her age. Mrs. Hobgood had been in feeble health for some time, but she thought to be improving. On Tuesday morning she was sitting up in a chair, and when she went to lay down, became faint, and expired before medical aid could reach her. Dr. Booth reached her a few minutes after she had expired and pronounced that death was produced by neuraigia of the heart. Mrs. Hobgood was an exceeding good woman and was a member of the Baptist church.
The remains were interred at the old family graveyard some five miles in the country on Wednesday afternoon in the presence of a large number of sorrowing relatives and friends. The burial services were conducted by Rev. J. S. Hardaway. We extend to the bereaved family our sympathy in this their hour of affliction.


Oxford Public Ledger

Friday, October 6, 1911


Sudden Death-Mr. Isaac Newton Hobgood Expires at His Home on the 3rd


Mr. Isaac Newton Hobgood died suddenly at his home at Providence Granville County on October 3rd 1911, In the 68th year of his age. Brother Hobgood had been ill for a year or more. It was evident that he was afflicted with “ Heart failure. ”Early in the morning of Oct. 3rd., he went to feed his hogs, and dropped senseless, and expired in a few minutes. The doctors has told his friends that they might expect him to die suddenly at any time, therefore his death, while sad, was not a surprise. Brother Hobgood  leaves a very dependant family; an afflicted mother, and his wife’s niece. Brother Hobgood tried hard to provide for his family. He opened little store and was making enough to live on. In the early part of his life, Bro. Hobgood was not a very active Christian worker, but when he moved down the country and located and located at Providence , and joined Beulah Baptist church. He was a consistent, earnest active church member. He repined rapidly for his heavenly home. His trust in the Lord was strong, unshaken and comforting. His resignation to the Divine will was perfect.

His hope of heaven was undoubted. He was buried the old Mrs. Nancy Hobgood  burying ground, where many of his kin folks live. The burial services were conducted By Rev. J. A. Stradley his present pastor, assisted by Dr. R. H. Marsh a former pastor. A large number of people attended the burial. “ Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord.” ----


The Torch Light
Tuesday, August 20, 1878

Mr. Joseph Hobgood, died of typhoid fever, at his residence near Oxford, on Friday, day last. Mr. H. leaves a wife and two children to mourn his loss.




Oxford Public Ledger
February 5, 1892

Death Of Mr. R. H. Hobgood

It with regret we chronicle the passing of Mr. R. H. Hobgood, which occurred on Wednesday morning last. For several years past he has been a citizen of Oxford, and at the time of his death proprietor of the Exchange Hotel.
Mr. Hobgood has for nearly all his life been afflicted with rheumatism, from which disease he was a great sufferer. He was the son of the late Mr. Henry Hobgood and his family. He was an affectionate father and kind neighbor, and was of an obliging disposition and had a great many friends. Many years ago he ran for the office of Sheriff, and although at the time quite a young man he made a good convass surprising many of his acquaintances by his fluency and ability with which he spoge. he leaves behind him a wife and several children who are greatly bereaved by his death. We extend to them our sincere and condolence.





Oxford Public Ledger
Thursday, May 14, 1903
Mrs. Sophia Hobgood Dead.

Mrs. Sophia Hobgood, relict of the late Alfred Hobgood, departed this life on inst., Thursday morning at her home in Oxford.
Mrs. Hobgood had been in declining health for some time, but the immediate cause of her death was a stroke of paralysis the day previous. She was well known in Oxford and Granville county,{* note-Oxford is Granville county NC-transcribed as is} being a devoted Christian lady and a consistent member of Oxford Baptist church. The funeral services were conducted from the church on Friday afternoon and the pall-bearers were: E. K. Howard, Joe Meadows, J. G. Hunt, W. S. Stark, Judge Graham, Jas. Long, S. W. Cooper, C. D. Ray. The interment was in Elmwood.
Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Knott of Kinston, and Mrs. Thos. Jeffreys, of Rocky Mount, attended the funeral.
To the bereaved family we extend our kindest sympathies. May a divine Providence comfort them.



Public Ledger
Friday, October 11, 1895

In A Home Of Glory.

The community of Grissom, mourn the loss of one of its present and best women in the death of Mrs. W. T. Hockaday, which occurred on Saturday afternoon after an illness of some days with typhoid fever. She was a daughter of the late Robert Garner, and a sister of our most esteemed citizen, Mr. Howard Gardner, one of our level-headed county commissioners.
She was a devoted member of Brassfield Baptist Church, and a tendency to advance the cause of her Lord and Master, and was greatly beloved by all who knew her. She was about 37n years of age and leaves behind a fond husband and several children to mourn her demise.
The burial took place on Sunday at the old family burying ground near Grissom witnessed by a large concourse of sorrowing friends.
Our sympathies go out to the grief stricken family.




Oxford Torch Light
Tuesday, November 4, 1884

A Horrible Death

Susan Horner, a colored woman of this town, met with a sad and fatal accident on the 27th of October. It seems she had taken a friend home to show her some presents that had been given her, On entering she was cautioned by her son not to light the lamp as it was out of order. She did not obey and immediately on lighting, the lamp exploded in her face. Her clothing was ignited and she stood a pillar of flames. Before they could be extinguished, the woman was badly burned that she died a few hours later.



Public Ledger
Tuesday, February 18, 1890

The Work of a Nurse.

On Sunday night the residence of Mr. E.K. Howard, at Providence, was the scene of sorrow and anguish. It seems that the family had company and Mrs. Howard left her baby in the care of the negro girl who it seems was very anxious to get it to sleep in order that she might go out with her best fellow. The baby was not inclined to go to sleep so she determined to make it, she went into Mrs. Howard’s trunk and got a bottle partly filled with laudanum and poured some water in it and gave it to the child which was soon asleep, and the girl waltzed off with her bean. Mrs. Howard went into the room and discovered the odor of laudanum. She soon found out that it had been given to the baby and tried to arouse it but the opiate had taken full possession of the child. Dr. Booth was sent for at once and at last accounts was doing all he could to restore it to consciousness, but with little hope of success.



Oxford Public Ledger
Tuesday February 4, 1890

Death Of Rev. L. F. Humphreys.

We are called upon to announce the death of Rev. L. F. Humphreys, which occurred on Thursday morning last. He had been sick for a long time with consumption and his death was hourly expected by his friends. He was an excellent man, and ranked among the best Baptist ministers of the county. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and belonged to the lodge at Bera. He was buried in Oxford Friday with the honors of that fraternity. Rev. J. S. Hardaway and Dr. R. H. Marsh conducted the funeral services.



Oxford Public Ledger
Friday, March 20, 1896

Death of Mr. C. A. Hunt

The death angel has saddened another home of Granville. This time it claimed Mr. C. A. Hunt, who lived near Enon, as its victim on Thursday morning last after an illness of several months. His demise was not a shock to his relatives or friends, and they were in a measure prepared for the summons when it came. Mr. Hunt was 42 years of age and leaves a wife and three children along with several brothers and sisters to mourn his death. He was a consistent member of the cause of Christ. The burial took place on Friday at the old family burying ground, conducted by Dr. R. H. Marsh, witnessed by a large concourse of sorrowing relatives and neighbors. To the bereaved family we extend our warmest sympathy.



Torch Light
Tuesday, July 11, 1876

Death of Geo. W. Hunt.

This excellent man and useful citizen died at his residence near Oxford, on Tuesday evening June 27th, aged 59 years, 6 months and 17 days.
Mr. Hunt was a son of the late John Penn Hunt, of Granville county, and a great grandson of John Penn one of the signers of the National Declaration of Independence.
He had been about 38 years a member of the Methodist E. Church at Salem, in Granville county, having embraced religion in the year of 1838 under the preaching of Rev. Hezekiah G. Leigh. His life from that time to the day of his death was a conspicuous example of Christian rectitude. His piety was deep and earnest, his character lofty and pure. He was firm in his convictions and inflexible in his adherence to the line of duty. He was a man of remarkable clear head and sound understanding. His opinions were always valuable and his counsel was often sought by those who needed a safe adviser in matters of difficulty. His heart was large and full of tender sympathy for those of distress, His charity was undemonstrative but it was a charity that did not fall, and many a tear will be wept over his grave by the widow and orphan, to whom he proved himself so true, a friend while living. Mr. Hunt had been in feeble health for several months and for about five weeks before his death was confined to his bed with an attack of dysentery, which was prevailing in his family. Often during his sickness he said he believed his end was nigh, and calmly arranged all his business preparatory to his departure. Shortly before his death he called his oldest son to his bedside and charged him with wise and anxious counsel as to the life he desired him to live, and the example he should place before his younger brothers and sisters, and amongst other things exacted of him a promise never to engage in any business that required him to deal in intoxicating liquors. Mr. Hunt died with perfect composer soothed and sustained with an unfaltering trust in the merits of his Redeemer. As his end drew near he refused to be stimulated saying he wished to face death with an unclouded mind, for him death had not terror and the grave was but the portal through which he passed to a better and brighter world. He leaves a widow and a large family of children, and a very extensive family connection. His funeral was preached at Salem church to a very large congregation on Wednesday the 28th inst., by Rev. L. K. Willie, from the text Matthew 7 chapter 20 verse “wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.” --------------------


Oxford Public Ledger
Tuesday, July 15, 1890

Death Of Mr. John L. Hunt

This estimable gentleman, formerly a citizen of Granville county, died at Kittrell, Vance County on Friday July 11, after an illness of some two weeks. He was a son of the late Joseph Hunt and was a brother of Mrs. D. N. Hunt and Mrs. J. B. Crews and Mrs. B. I. Breedlove. He was one of the leading citizens of Kittrell, and a most successful merchant and a man of unapproachable character. He was possessed of many noble qualities and and his death is peculiarly sad as he leaves behind a widow with three children. He was 36 years of age. His remains were entered at the Salem church grave yard Saturday with Masonic honors. Several people from Oxford attended the funeral services.


The Torch Light
Tuesday, July 26, 1880

Mrs. John L. Hunt
, at Kittrell, Saturday night last, after a brief illness. About 23 years of age. Was buried at Salem Church yesterday.




Torch Light
Tuesday, July 4, 1876


John W. Hunt
was born in Granville county near Oxford, N.C., March 12th 1819. His early manhood was spent in Oxford acquiring a business education. He was greatly beloved by the people, and it still remembered by many as a favorite youth. At the age of 24 he married to Miss F. C. Bailey of Person Co. The next year he removed to that county near Mill Creek. Afterwards having been a pointed sheriff, he relocated in Roxboro, where he also served as Register of Deeds and Probate Judge. At this place he died May 26th 1876, of paralysis. He was a man of feeble constitution, but of a resolute mind. On Tuesday before his death on Friday, though feeble from a previous attack of paralysis, he was in his office attending to its business, here the last attack was made, and though rendered speechless, he walked to his residence.
In his 19th year he professed religion and joined the Methodist church. Afterwards, he united with the Baptist church at Tabbs Creek and received the hands of Rev. Mr. Knabb. Thence he removed his membership to Mill Creek and was by it elected to the Deaconship. He was a devoted and exemplary Christian --firm in his convictions, conscientious in his labors, gentle in his manners and consistent in his piety. His influence was for good and in behalf of every good work. In the Flat River Association he was ranked among the very best and most useful brethren. One of the most interesting and happy scenes of his life occurred a few days before his death. Great christian and parental anxiety had been experienced in behalf of the conversion of some of his younger children. He was exceedingly anxious that his should become christians before his departure. This desire was realized, and with untold leasure he witnessed the baptism of three of them---perhaps the last of his children who had attained the years accountability. When death came, it found him in full watchfulness and prayer. He spoke freely and confidently of his departure. He died in the full assurance of faith. Thus has gone a good man, a reliable friend, a kind husband, a tender father, a beloved brother. We mourn our loss, but hope to meet thee again.



Public Ledger
Friday, February 7, 1890

Death from La Grippe

Martha Hunt, wife of Rev. Jas., Hunt, w worthy colored minister, died on Tuesday with the grippe, and he himself is considered dangerously ill with the same disease.

A colored man by the name of Madison Alford came here a few days ago from Franklin county, was taken down with the grippe and died after a four days illness.
Since the above was put in type Rev. James Hunt, who was sick at the time of his wife’s death, died on Thursday morning. He was a most worthy minister of the gospel and stood high in the estimation of the colored people.


Oxford Public Ledger
Friday, June 1, 1894

A Peaceful Sleep—
Death Of Robert J. Hunt On Thursday Night at 12 o’clock

About this hour, on the night of May 24th, 1894, this excellent young man breathed his last at the home of his father, John W. Hunt in Oxford, NC.
Robert Hunt was born October 25, 1869, and therefore was nearly 25 years of age. He was converted at the early age of twelve years. The circumstances of his conversion were these: While he was at home in his room up stairs, he heard his mother singing “shall we gather at the River” where bright angel feet have trod.” He was so moved upon by the Spirit of God under singing the hymn that he came downstairs , threw himself into his mother’s lap, confessed his sins and his trust in the Savior, and ever afterward looked back upon that time as the hour of his conversion. That he was a converted soul no one that knew him would ever question, for unto the day of his death his life was a beautiful example of how a Christian ought to live.
He was baptized into the fellowship of the Oxford Baptist Church, Nov. 10th, 1883, in the 14th year of his age, and his membership continued in the Oxford Baptist church till his death. His character was of the highest excellence. Modest as a woman and singularly pure; absolutely free from bad habits; ambitious to cultivate and improve himself; generous, kind and amiable, trustful, and honorable; patient and cheerful. He seems to me, and I knew him well, to be, take him all in all, one of the noblest and highest specimens of young manhood it has ever been my good fortune to meet in life. These may sound like words exaggerated praise, but they are the words of sober truth, and were I called on to name a young man to commend as an example to young men I know no one whose character I could more fully commend than that of Robert J. Hunt.
For several years he had been suffering with consumption. During all these years his cheerfulness, patience and resignation to God’s will were manifest to all who knew him well. Only a fortnight before his death, when he was going about and was even hopeful of recovery, to a neighbor who asked him if he was afraid to die, he replied, “Not at all, I regard death as a simply a duty we must all perform.” Not long before his end his father asked him: “son, are you willing to die?” He answered:
“Perfectly willing if the Bible is true.” He then proceeded to bequeath his books, etc., to different members of the family; bade them not to grieve at his departure, and in a short time after he fell asleep.-----------J. S. Hardaway


Oxford Public Ledger
Friday, March 9, 1906

Death of Capt. J. B. Hunter

The death of Capt. J. B. Hunter occurred at 2:30 o’clock this morning at his home “Blue Gables” on Burch Avenue.
Capt. Hunter had been in failing health for about 12 months and his death from heart failure this morning did not come as a surprise to the loving relatives who were watching at his bedside. Had he lived, Capt. Hunter would have reached his seventy-second year. As it was the allotted time of three score years and ten were more than rounded out, each of which were spent in worthy action and noble deeds.
He was the last eight children, five boys and three girls, to pass over to the Great beyond, and he faced his journey into that “undiscovered country” as he had always faced the trials and vicissitudes, encountered on the way of life, with unflinching courage and abiding faith in him who is never trusted in vain.
Capt. Hunter leaves a wife and an adopted son, Mr. Harry Hunter, and a number of relatives.
He was for many years a consistent communicant of the Episcopal Church and a member of the Masonic Order.
Capt. J. B. Hunter was born in Gates county, North Carolina, on April 3, 1834, and a son of Edward Riddick and Martha Hunter.
On June 16, 1857, he was united in marriage to Miss Martha Burrell, daughter of John Spottswood and Sarah Burrell, of Granville county with whom he lived happily forty-nine years, and had death not interfered, one more year would have witnessed the celebration of their golden wedding.
For several years previous to taking up their residence in Durham, Capt. Hunter edited a newspaper in Baltimore. On moving here several years ago he became associated with the late E. C. hackney in the publication of the Durham recorder. Later in July 1902, he began the publication





©2010 by  NCGenWeb Project.  No portion of  any document appearing on this site is to be used for other than personal research.  Any republication or reposting is expressly forbidden without the written consent of the owner. Last updated 01/02/2012