Return to Currituck Co.
1860 Federal Census of Currituck County, North Carolina
Free Inhabitants in the County of Currituck, State of N. C.
enumerated between June 1 and August 23, 1860 by
John F. Frost, Asst. Marshal
The data on each page of the census is arranged in columns as follows:
- Column 1 - Dwelling houses numbered in the order of visit
- Column 2 - Families numbered in the order of visit
- Column 3 - The name of every person whose usual place of abode on the first day of
June, 1860 was in this household
- Column 4 - Age in years or months (mo.)
- Column 5 - Sex
- Column 6 - Color
- Column 7 - Profession, occupation or trade of each male over 15 years
- Column 8 - Value of real estate
- Column 9 - Value of personal estate
- Column 10 - Place of birth naming the state, territory or country
- Column 11 - Married within the year (mwy)
- Column 12 - Attended School within the year (asy)
- Column 13 - Persons over 20 who cannot read & write (crw)
- Column 14 - Whether deaf and dumb, blind, insane, idiotic, pauper, or convict
--In this transcript, the information from columns 11 through 14 has been combined into a single column called "Comments."
--Dwelling/Family #140/ 141 in Tulls Creek District was omitted.
--In the Poplar Branch District, Dwelling/Family #633/638 is repeated; these have been altered by the transcriber to read 633/638-A and 633/638-B to reflect the fact that they are two separate households.
--Following #956/956, the last dwelling on the list, a note says, "add 1 [for a total of] 957." It's possible this was done by the enumerator to make up for the duplicate dwelling number in the Poplar Branch District mentioned above.
Go to Currituck County 1860 Census Surname Index:
Go to Currituck County 1860 Census Districts:
Many thanks to Ben Bateman who provided a typed copy of
the 1860 Census transcribed from a photocopy of the original. I proofed Ben's work and
put it into HTML format for use on the NCGenWeb Currituck County web site.
-- Marty Holland, November 2003