Bute Co. was formed from Granville Co. in 1764 and abolished in 1779 when it was divided into Warren Co. and Franklin Co. The courthouse of Bute Co. was located at a place called "Buffalo Rice Path" on land owned by Jethro Sumner about 6 miles southeast of present Warrenton, North Carolina. Most of the records of Bute County are still located in Warren Co. though some may be found in Franklin Co.
Location of Bute Co., 1764 - 1779 County Area in 1760
County Area in 1770 County Area Today
Copyright 2011 to present by the NCGenWeb Project Inc. and individual contributors as shown. Materials on this website are furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins, any commercial use, without the consent of the author of these pages is prohibited. Portions of this site as noted on their pages are not in the public domain and is not to be reproduced for any purpose without express written consent of the owner of the material. Last updated 06/04/2012