Return to Currituck Co.
1850 Federal Census of Currituck County, North Carolina
Free Inhabitants in the County of Currituck, State of N. C.
enumerated between July 31 and Sept. 26, 1850 by
Thomas F. Baxter, Asst. Marshal
The data on each page of the census is arranged in columns as follows:
- Column 1 - Dwelling houses numbered in the order of visit
- Column 2 - Families numbered in the order of visit
- Column 3 - The name of every person whose usual place of abode on the first day of
June, 1850 was in this household
- Column 4 - Age in years or months (mo.)
- Column 5 - Sex
- Column 6 - Color
- Column 7 - Profession, occupation or trade of each male over 15 years
- Column 8 - Value of real estate owned
- Column 9 - Place of birth naming the state, territory or country
- Column 10 - Married within the year (mwy)
- Column 11 - Attended School within the year (asy)
- Column 12 - Persons over 20 who cannot read & write (crw)
- Column 13 - Whether deaf and dumb, blind, insane, idiotic, pauper, or convict
--In this transcript, the information from columns 10 through 13 has been combined into a single column called "Comments."
--The Knotts Island District ends with family/dwelling #337/337 and Indian Ridge District begins with family/dwelling #345/345 so that #s 338-344 are omitted.
--Page 363, Knotts Island District, is blank.
--Dwelling #522/Family #523 in Poplar Branch District was skipped.
--Also in Poplar Branch, a clerical error has the duplication of #s 590/591 through 599/600.
--In the Powells Point District, #s660/661 through 662/663 are mistakenly written as #s 560/561 through 562/563.
Go to Currituck County 1850 Census Surname Index:
Go to Currituck County 1850 Census Districts:
Many thanks to Ben Bateman who provided a typed copy of
the 1850 Census transcribed from a photocopy of the original. I proofed Ben's work and
put it into HTML format with guidance from Gordon Basnight and shameless copying of Gordon's good work on the Tyrrell County NCGenWeb site.