Contributed by Taneya Koonce
Superior Court Proceedings from the May 5, 1899 issue of the Roanoke Beacon Newspaper.
The following State cases were disposed at the Spring term of Washington County Superior Court:
- State vs. Louis OWENS, assault, error, dismissed.
- State vs. Jos. HOFF, pointing pistol, not guilty.
- State vs. Jerry RUTLIN, bigamy, defendant pleads guilty, judgment suspended, defendant dismissed.
- State vs. John GREEN, larceny, not a true bill.
- State vs. Derward BATEMAN, assault, continued on bail.
- State vs. John HASSELL, assault, defendant pleads guilty, judgment suspended on payment of cost.
- State vs. Benj. PUCKET and Henry BROOKS, assault, defendant BROOKS pleads guilty, judgment suspended on payment of half cost.
- State vs. Newton JOHNSON, larceny, guilty, judgment four months jail with authority of county commissioners to hire out.
- State vs. Darius BENNETT, arson, not a true bill.
- State vs. James BROOKS and Ernest BOYD, affray, defendants plead guilty, judgment suspended on payment of cost.
- State vs. Friley NORMAN and Tamer NORMAN removing land mark, not a true bill.
- State vs. Spencer REEVES, assault, guilty, judgment suspended defâ€™t discharged.
- State vs. Thos. JONAS, false pretense, not a true bill.
- State vs. Wm. JAMES, larceny, dismissed
- State vs. James RICHMOND SR., James RICHMOND Jr., and Jordan WRIGHT, larceny, continued on bail.
- State vs. Asa BOWEN, removing crop, not guilty.
- State vs. Benj. PUCKET and Henry BROOKS, assault, not guilty as to PUCKET.
- State vs. Robt. DAVIS and Saml PENDLETON, larceny, PENDLETON not guilty, DAVIS guilty, sentenced to one year in State prison at hard labor.
- State vs. John HARRIS, bastardy, remanded to J.P.
- State vs. James R. FORBES, assault with d.w., guilty, defâ€™t recognized for cost.
- State vs. Jos. GARRETT, larceny, not guilty
- State vs. Wm. H. CORSON, assault with d.w., guilty, judgment suspended.
- State vs. Obas FENNER, two counts, pointing gun loaded and not loaded, guilty.
- State vs. Peter BLOUNT, 2 cases, assault with d.w. , non suit
- State vs. James R. FORBES, c c w, guilty, recognized for cost
- State vs. Robt. DAVIS and Saml PENDLETON, assault with d.w., (in jail) guilty, judgment suspended, deft PENDLETON discharged
- State vs. Ed SAUNDERS, larceny, not guilty
- State vs. Benj. W. LEWIS, assault with d.w., deft recognized in the sum of $100 for cost
- State vs. Arthur WINBORNE, assault with d.w., committed for cost
The following civil cases were disposed of, and all other cases continued:
- L.C. MARRINER vs. J.F. TARKENTON, ejectment, non-suit plaintiff and H.M. SNELL surety to pay the cost to be taxed by the Clerk.
- Cornelius H. BAUM vs. Mary E. BAUM, divorce, defendants prayer granted.
- Joseph P. CORPREW vs. W. & W. R.R. suit for damages, non suit, defendant to go without day.
- Jacob EPSTINE, trading as Baltimore Bargain House vs. A.S. and J.S. LEGGETT, judgment against the defendents.
- W.M BATEMAN, Clerk of the Superior Court, was appointed Receiver for the following infants and orphans: H.A. DOWNING, H.L., C.E., and J.C. TARKENTON, Jos. SWAIN, heir of Jos. D. NEWBERRY, Estelle GARRETT, Alvodia HASSELL, A.J. A.U. and A.G. NEWBERRY.
- On the report of G.W. WARD, Solicitor, that he finds that the Court Docket for the past four or five years have not been kept and properly transcribed, the Court orders that the present Clerk transcribe the Summons Docket from fall term 1893, the Civil Docket from fall term 1898, the Criminal Docket from fall term 1895 and such other papers as have not been properly transcribed.