Articles from the Landmark on North Carolina Soldier's


All articles are taken from the semi weekly issues of the "Landmark", published in Statesville, N.C.

April 29, 1898

Captain J.J. Newman of Salisberry is organizing a troop of cavalry to be known as the Rowan Rangers to fight the Spaniards. He has already counted twenty men and anticipates no difficulty in enlisting forty. He has tendered the services of the Rowan Rangers to Adjutant General Cowles.

Companies of colored men are being organized in various towns in the state. The Landmark is glad to see that Statesville is one. I.F. Moore and W.A. Kimbrough are making an effort to organize a colored company here. Up to 4:00 yesterday afternoon they had the following men: W.A. Kimbrough, Grant Gray, I.F. Moore, T.W. Stephenson, John McNeely, hood Russell, Thomas A. Ganther(?) Gaither(?), William Holdsclaw, Richard McKenzie, Mandus Woods, Samuel Moore, John Wallace, J.H. Alexander, N. Williams, William Wallace, T.W. Stevenson, C.C. Turner, Wash Bryson, H.R. Arey, S.W. Carlton, Henry Gray, Frank Stewart, G.F. Brown, J.R. Grant, Mack Hunter, C.H. Simonton, W.H. Weaver, Claude Johnson, Will Gray, T.V. Houston

Colonel J.F. Armfield of the 4th Regiment State Guard has received his commission as colonel of the 1st Regiment of Volunteers for N. Carolina. He was entitled to this commission first on account of his standing in the guard and second because most of the companies composing this regiment belong to his former commission, the 4th Regiment. The colonel left for Raleigh last night.

Dr. J.P. Turner, late of Cool Springs, this county, now a practicing physician in Greensboro, has offered his services for the war as assistant surgeon in the 3rd Regiment N.C.T. Mr. Ab. A. Andersen of Calaban has also volunteered for the war. Mr. Andersen is an ex-Confederate.

None of the state militia have as yet been ordered out for the war but it was announced that they would be ordered out last Friday. The matter of enlistment is voluntary. As a result of this, not all of the companies of state guards have volunteered in their entirety. In Charlotte, for instance, only the captain and two or three members of the famous Hornets Nest Rifles have volunteered. The quota is being made up of recruits taken anywhere they can get them. In the Statesville company, the “Blues”, at the first call only nine responded. This has been increased and the following original members of the company are now enlisted for the war:

Captain R.L. Flanigan

Lts. W.G. Karcher and R.P. Allison

Sgt. T.J. Cook

Privates: Carl Turner, John Foard, John T. Murdock, C.H. Turner, J.E. Deitz, W. M. Westmoreland, M.C. Wood, R.L. Leinster, Statesville. R.D. Hefty, Catawba. Charles Parker, Marion. Both of the last named formerly lived here and were active members of the company.

In addition to the above the following recruits have been secured up to 4:00—W.C. Kennedy, J.F. Mills of Statesville; W.C. Hines, J.W. Bowles, of Bryantsville; Nay Templeton, of Amity; Hawley B. Trollinger of Catawba; John Raymer of Davidson; J.W. Roberts of Mooresville; W.W. Duckworth of Morganton

C.M. McCorkle of Newton and a number of other young men from Newton and elsewhere in Catawba have enlisted in the Charlotte companies. Messrs. J.F. and C.H. Lipe, sons of J.C. Lipe who formerly lived in Statesville, have enlisted in the Asheville company.

May 8, 1898

The Iredell Blues, the local militia company, left at 12:30 yesterday for Raleigh where the N.C. troops who have volunteered for the war are being mobilized. All day Sunday the town looked like an army post. Uniformed men and men who were not in uniform but who had enlisted patrolled the streets. Sunday night they attended the Presbyterian Church in a body. The building was packed and many were turned away. The pastor, Rev. Dr. Wood, Rev. G.H. Church, the Baptist pastor, Reverends M.A. Smith, J.O. Skelly, and R.G. Barrett, Methodist ministers and Rev. W.R. McLelland, conducted the services. Dr. Wood said in his remarks the scene reminded him of his first sermon as a chaplain of a regiment during the late civil war.

Early yesterday morning the soldiers gathered in the armory. Captain R.L. Flanigan and Lts. W.G. Karcher and R.P. Allison and 98 men reported for duty:

1st Sgt. T.J. Cook of Statesville
W.P. Wooten of Charlotte
Bob Vannoy of Wilkesboro
J.L. Holland of Mt. Monroe(?) Mourne(?)
F.S. Reynolds of Stony Point
George W. Whistenworth of Wilkesboro
W.A. Cutler of Wilkesboro
J.A. Little of Davidson
B.F. Fleming of Davidson
J. W. Cullar of Wilkesboro
R.C. Milan of Wilkesboro
J.W. Ray of Wilkesboro
H.A. Trollinger of Catawba
C.C. Lad(?) of Burke
B.A. Higgins of Dysartville (McDowell)
J.H. Wiles of Wilkes
R.F. Anderson of Wilkes
Jas. Atwood of Salisbury
J.B. Hall of Charlotte
A.J. Owensby of Marion
R.P. Benfield of Hickory
J.W. Sigmon of Hickory
J.L. Delinger of Marion
J.B. Oxford of Taylorville
J.A. Whistlinging, Marion
C.W. Winkler, Lenoir
J.D. Nelson, Lenoir
J.F Derl, Lenoir
A.H. Anthony, Marion
J.W. Roberts, Bahama (Durham Co.)
E.L. Laton, Conover
J.W. Payne, Hickory
L.E. Seabach, Hickory
E.D. Cline, Hickory
D.L. Oliver, Milton
W.C. Kennedy, Statesville
J.E. Deitz, Statesville
M.C. Word, Statesville
Carl Turner, Statesville
Charles Turner, Statesville
W.L. Williams, Statesville
John Foard, Statesville
J.F. Mills, Statesville
J.S. Kerr, Statesville
R.B Leinster(?), Statesville
William Westmoreland, Statesville
J.T. Murdock, Statesville
R.D. Rafty, Catawba
F.A. James, Catawba
R.H. Trollinger, Newton
E.C.(?) Ervin, Newton
E.M. Dodd, Mooresville
Richie McCall, Hornet (Mecklenberg)
J.H. Foster, Talladega, Alabama
Jas. Foard, Hood (Mecklenberg)
W.W. Duckworth, Morganton
L.B. Dula, Wilkesboro
P.E. Lafon, Conover
R.C. Grahl(?), Asheville
A.C. Smith, Asheville
Walter McIntosh, Waynesville
C.C. Nash, Asheville
J.H. Tew, Asheville
O.C. Cassada, Marshall
J. F. Lipe, Biltmore
C.H. Lipe, Biltmore
M.P. Williams, Asheville
J.E. Murdock, Asheville
C.A. Ingie, Asheville
J.M. Davis, Asheville
Henry James, Asheville
L.D. Ingle, Asheville
L.B. Robinson, Asheville
J.E. King, Bolis(?) Bella(?)
C.E. Penland, Buena Vista
N.E. McQueen, Asheville
J.R. Davis, Skyland
C.A. Torrence, Skyland
J.M. Crisp, Stecoah(?)
J.B. Jackson, Biltmore
N.J. Loving, Charlotte
J.E. Jones, Asheville
T.A. Brown, Black Mountain
J.C. Suther, Old Fort
J.H. Little, Old Fort
Z.B. Gentry, Asheville
J.B. Fanning, Asheville
A. Dorset, Marion
P.L. Lofland, Statesville
J.E. Fry, Statesville
W.W.W. Hines, Lincolnton
E.M. Bolton(?) Halton(?), Marion
Thomas Hemmer, Cleveland
John Raymer, Barrum(?) Springs
J. Wilson, Taylorville
P.W. Gaines, Newton
N.L. Hines, Bryansville
R.F. Gardner, Marion

Before the train left the area, seven men were cut out and given an honorable discharge because they failed to come up with the proper requirements. They were:
Bob Vannoy
Rich Alderson
J.W. Ray
Mr. Wilson, all of Wilkes
John King of Asheville
W.P. Wooten of Charlotte
L.B. Dula of Wilkes was left by the train but he went to Raleigh last night.

Long before the soldiers came out of the armory the streets were blocked with people who gathered to see them off. About 10:00 they came out and took up their march to the depot under the command of Captain Flanigan and Lts. Karcher and Allison. The band had previously gathered and played a number of airs and it marched in front of the company to the depot playing as they went. In front of the band was a number of boys carrying flags. A great crowd accompanied the men to the depot. On each side of the street the sidewalks were lined and people gathered in front yards and on balconies some of them waving flags. By the time the station was reached, an immense crowd had gathered.

The colored citizens of the town met in the court house Friday night and organized a military company. The meeting was called to order by R.H. Alexander. Dr. Harrill, the mayor, gave a few remarks and words of information and encouragement. The roll was called and 45 out of the 80 who had signed the roll responded and five more names were added making a total of fifty. Officers were elected as follows:
Captain R.H. Alexander
2nd Lt. I.F. Moore
1st Lt. W.A. Kimbrough
Sgts. Robert Thomas, Thomas A. Gaither, Thomas W. Stevenson, G.F. Brown, H. Russell Corporals Willie Smith, R. H.  Arey McHunter, Henry Pendleton, T.V. Houston, Cloud Johnson, Henry Gray, R.L. McKinzie, Will Gray, Lusco Arey, John McNeely, Grant Gray
Musician: Samuel Moore
Quartermaster: J.H. Alexander

Saturday night 25 men from Asheville, Biltmore and vicinity under the command of Temporary Corporal J.F. Lupe arrived here to join the Iredell Blues and left with the company for Raleigh. Their names are:
T.A. Brown
J.F. Lipe
C.H. Lipe
J.A. Davis
C.A. Torrence
J.M. Crisp
L.D. Ingle
L.B. Robinson
M.P. Williams
J.M. Davis
G.A. Ingle
C.C. Cassada
C.C. Nash
Henry Jones
C.A. Penland
A.C. Smith
J.C. Fanning
J.H. Tow
J.H. King
R.C. Grahl
Z.P. Gentry
J.B. Jackson
J.E. Jones
J.E. Murdock
N.E. McQueen

Members of Col. J.F. Armfield's staff
Captain H.R. Cowles, Adjutant
Captain J.M. Allison, Quartermaster
Roy Leinster, Quartermaster Sergeant
Major George F. Rutzler, Charlotte
Major W.G. Smith, Asheville
Dr. H.M. Wilder, surgeon, Charlotte
Dr. Charles M. Jourdan, assistant surgeon, Asheville
Dr. L.M. Archey, assistant surgeon, Concord
Rev. W.A. Wood, chaplain, Statesville
Battalion Adjutants: L.B. Alexander, Asheville and John M. Scott, Charlotte

It is understood that Lt. R.P. Davis of the U.S. Army, a West Point graduate, and native of Statesville, will be lieutenant colonel of the regiment. It is understood that Captain Cowles of Statesville, at present adjutant general, will be captain of the battery which is to be organized and that his brother, Captain C.D. Cowles of the U.S. Army will be colonel of the second regiment of volunteers which is to be organized this week.

The twelve companies of the 1st Regiment are:
Number 1, Company C, 1st Regiment, Raleigh
Number 2, Company G, 2nd Regiment, Charlotte
Number 3, Company D, 3rd Regiment, Durham
Number 4, Company E, 4th Regiment, Charlotte
Number 5, Company C, 4th Regiment, Waynesville
Number 6, Company D, 3rd Regiment, Reidsville
Number 7, Company I, 3rd Regiment, Reidsville
Number 8, Company H, 1st Regiment, Greensville
Number 9, Company A, 4th Regiment, Statesville
Number 10, Company F, 4th Regiment, Asheville
Number 11, Company G, 4th Regiment, Colored
Number 12, Company H, 4th Regiment, Shelby
The men will be mustered into the U.S. Army as soon as they get to Raleigh

1,000 men were gathered at Camp Grimes near Raleigh when the mess call sounded for supper last night. From 11:30 in the morning they had been pouring in, train after train disgorged its long files of armed men at the Pullen Road Crossing where they were met and escorted to camp by a detachment of the Governor's Guard.

In eager columns they swept over the camp grounds and entered the tents prepared for and assigned to them. Company after company gathered until General Cowles was able to telegraph to the War Department that one of the North Carolinian's two regiments was mobilized here and ready to be mustered in.

Captain Edward Hill with the Cabarrus Light Infantry was the first to arrive yesterday morning.
Three hours later the Shelby and two Charlotte companies arrived. At 6:00 the Southern Special Train arrived with six companies - Iredell Blues, Richland Rifles, Asheville Light Infantry, Durham Light Infantry, Forsythe Rifles and Reidsville Light Infantry.

All along the way the crowds cheered them lustily, hundreds of people having come out with shouts and flags and waving hats and handkerchiefs. The long line of troops looked like a moving panorama. The blue of the uniforms mingled with the sober colors of civilian dress or made backgrounds for the bright gowns and hats of the ladies who came out to see the me who said they would go anywhere on earth that duty called and the flag led.
The gay bands and declarations of the officers, white stripes on the arms of the non commissioned officers, the gold and red markings of the surgeons, the white uniforms of the A. & M. Drum Corps and the gray of the cadets all mingled together.

The Commissary Department had more to do than it could manage at such a short notice with troops coming in every hour or so. But orders were given and details dispatched for rations. Soon wagon loads of bread, meat, and potatoes began to arrive. Last night fires were kindled in every kitchen and potatoes bubbled in the kettles and meat sputtered on the gridiron so all the men could be fed.

The five Wilkes boys, Bob Vannoy, Will Cutler, Rich Anderson, J.W. Ray and Mr. Wilson who came here last week to go with the Blues to the war and were rejected before the company left for Raleigh because they did not fill the requirements were sent back to their homes in Wilkes at the expense of the company.

Adjutant H.R. Cowles of the 1st Regiment failed to pass the surgeons exam because of defective eye sight. This is the source of much regret to him and to the regiment as well. He would have been captain and adjutant. The Governor will fill the vacancy thus caused. Below is a list of those who failed to pass the physical exam:
E. Trellinger
John Foard
W.E. McQueen
D. Dorsett
R.B. Lemster
W.L. Williams
A.M. Vanoy
R.F. Gardner
J.L. Deal
J.H. Wiles
J.H. Fleming
J. Wilson
R.F. Anderson
J.D. Whiting
J.H. Little
L.B. Dula

The following are the companies along with the captains and lieutenants which comprise the 1st Regiment:
The Governor's Guards, Raleigh: Captain A.J. Crawford, 1st Lt. W.R. Beaver, 2nd Lt. Z.B. Smith

Hornet's Nest Rifles, Charlotte: Captain Thomas R. Robinson, Lt. J.L. Powell (no 2nd lt. listed)

Forsythe Rifles, Winston: Captain J.C. Bessent, 1st Lt. R.W. Bryan, 2nd Lt. J.H. Goodman

Durham Light Infantry: Captain J.C. Michie(?), 1st Lt. B.C. Woodall, 2nd Lt. R.L. Bishop

Reidsville Light Infantry: Captain A.J. Ellington, 1st Lt. J.D. Gwynn, 2nd Lt. J.R. Sharpe

Iredell Blues, Statesville: Captain E.L. Flanigan, 1st Lt. W.G. Kercher, 2nd Lt. R.P. Allison

Richland Rifles, Waynesville: Captain W. J. Hauna, 1st Lt. Thomas Stringfield, 2nd Lt. W.H. Frazier

Queen City Guards, Charlotte: Captain H.S. Chadwest, 1st Lt. John R. Van Ness, 2nd Lt. W.A. Erwin

Asheville Light Infantry: Captain T.R. Rookhart, 1st Lt. R.S. Stewart, 2nd Lt. T.F. Cunningham

Cabarrus Light Infantry, Concord: Captain Edward Hill, 1st Lt. Eli Goldston, 2nd Lt. Luther C. Boyles

Cleveland Guards, Shelby: Captain J.T. Gardiner(?), 1st Lt. J.K. Wells, Jr., 2nd Lt. J.A. Robers(?)

This afternoon the companies of the 1st Regiment were lettered as follows:
A-Charlotte, Captain Thomas R. Robertson
B-Goldsboro, Captain T.H. Bain
C-Winston, Captain J.C. Bessent
D-Reidsville, Captain A.J. Ellington
E-Statesville, Captain B.L. Flanigan
F-Asheville, Captain T.W. Bookhart
G-Shelby, Captain J.T. Gardner
(no H listed)
I-Durham, Captain J.C. Michie
(no J listed)
K-Raleigh, Captain A.J. Crawford
L-Concord, Captain Edmund Hill
M-Charlotte, Captain H.S. Chadwick

May 10, 1898

General Russell on Saturday appointed William H.S. Burgwyn of Henderson, Vance County, as colonel of the 2nd Regiment, N.C.V. Colonel Burgwyn is a Confederate soldier and is 52 years old. He left the freshman class of Chapel Hill to join the Confederate Army in April of 1861. He was successively drill master to Pettigrew's Regiment; Adjutant of the camp of instruction near Raleigh; 1st Lt. and then Captain of Company H, 35th N.C. Regiment, Ransom's Brigade; and Assistant Adjutant General in
Clingman's brigade. He was wounded at Cold Harbor and again wounded and captured at the assault on Ft. Harrison on Sept. 30, 1864. He was taken as a prisoner of war at Fort Dearborn. After the war he returned to the university and graduated in 1868. He is
also a graduate of Harvard Law School of Washington and of the medical school at Baltimore. He practiced law in Baltimore from 1869 to 1882 and was during this time colonel of the 5th Maryland Regiment. In this capacity Colonel Burgwyn took an active part in quelling the railroad riots in Baltimore in 1877. Colonel Burgwyn is the author of a Digest of the Maryland Supreme Court reports. He was a banker at Henderson from North Carolina from 1882 to 1893. For several years he has been a national bank examiner which position he now holds.

Other appointments announced:
Regimental Adjutant Lt. L.R. Alexander
Major, 1st Battalion, Whiteford G. Smith
Major 2nd Battalion, George F. Rutzler
Major 3rd Battalion, E.M. Butler
1st Lt. and Adjutant Captain T.W. Patton on Major Smith's staff
1st Lt. and Adjutant John M. Allison on Major Rutzler's staff
Adjutant 3rd Battalion Daniel R. Johnson
Quartermaster Eugene Harrill
Sgt. Major W.T. Herritage
Quartermaster Sgt. R.L. Lainster
Chief Musician A.W. Freeman
Principal Musicians: Jay G. Sims, John W. Norwood
Hospital Steward: Halton H. McKnight
1st Assistant Steward: Baxter R. Hunter
Surgeons Wilder of Charlotte, Jordan of Asheville and Archey of Concord
Chaplain Pruden of Durham

A telegram to the Landmark yesterday afternoon announced that the Secretary of War had ordered the 1st Regiment N.C.V. to Chickamauga. The date of their departure from Raleigh is not stated but we take it they will be kept there for a few more days until they are fully equipped and armed.

At noon today the Adjutant General announced the assignment of companies in the 2nd Regiment:
Burlington-J.H. Holt
Greensboro-R. Percy Gray
Reidsville-R.C. Gladstone
Wilmington-Daniel McRae
Washington-Ivey Foreman
Tarboro-John W. Colton
Raleigh-Frederick Wolenit(?)
Rutherfordton-W.T.R. Bull
Oxford-H.L. Skinner
Fayettesville-S.H. MacRae
Gastonia-Robert L. Durham
Lambert Bridge-S.J. Cobb

May 13, 1898

Edmund Jones of Caldwell and A.C. Avery of Banks have joined forces and will have a company of one hundred men in the 2nd Regiment as their men are in three counties, they are given until Saturday to take them to Raleigh.

The first desertion from Camp Bryan Grimes of enlisted men occurred the night before last when two of the Goldsboro Company flew the coop. They are new men from Wayne County-Robert L. Mitchell and Paulus Williams. They have been restless and uneasy looking for several days and between 8:00 and 10:00 Monday night after taking the oath they left the camp and could not be found yesterday morning. Captain Bain and 1st Lt. Lewis left for Goldsboro to find the deserters and bring them back.

It will be remembered that the War Department sent out orders Monday to send the 1st Regiment N.C.V. to Chickamauga. Governor Russell yesterday morning received a telegram from Secretary of War Alger saying that owing to changing conditions, the destination of the 1st Regiment N.C.V. has been changed from Camp George H. Thomas at Chickamauga to Tampa, Florida and they will be sent there at once, armed and equipped for service. As they are not armed and equipped they will be kept at Raleigh until they are and this means they will be there at least another week.

The field, staff and line officers of the 1st Regiment, N.C.V., U.S. Army are:
Colonel J.F. Armfield
Lt. Col. Calvin D. Cowles
Major 1st Battalion White G. Smith
Major 2nd Battalion George F. Butzler
Major 3rd Battalion George E. Butler (the senator's brother)
Dr. H.M. Wilder, surgeon with rank of major
Dr. Charles S. Jordan, surgeon with rank of captain
Dr. L.M. Archey, surgeon with rand of 1st lt.
E.G. Harrell, Quartermaster with rank of 1st lt.
Battalion adjutants with the rank of 1st lts., are:
T.W. Patton, 1st Regiment
John M. Allison, 2nd Battalion
D.R. Johnson, 3rd Battalion (nephew of the governor)
Rev. A.A. Pruden, chaplain with the rank of 1st lt.
Privates: R.H. Trollinger, E.M. Dodd, W.W. Duckworth, James Ford, P.E. Lafon, A.C.
Smith, O.C. Casade, O.(or C.) H. Lipe, J.F. Lipe, J.E. Murdock, J.M. Davis, D.B.
Robinson, C.A. Ponland, J.R. Davis, J.B. Jackson, N.J. Lovings, T.A. Brown, J.H. Lytle,
J.C. Fanning, J.E. Fry, E.M. Holten, John Raymer, N.L. Hines, R.R. Lafton, L.E.
Seabach, E.O. Ervine, J.H. Foster, Richie McCall, L.B. Dula, R.C. Grahl, Walter
McIntosh, C.C. Nash, J.H. Tow, M.P. Williams, C.A. Ingle, L.D. Ingle, Henry James,
J.E. King, N.E. McQueen, J.M. Crisp, C.A. Torrence, J.E. Jones, J.C. Suther, Z.B.
Gentry, P.D. Lofand, W.W. Hines, Thomas Homner, J. Wilson, F.W. Gaines, J.W.
Payne, E.D. Chase, D.L. Olive, J.E. Deitz, C. Turner, R.D. Rufty, W.P. Wooten, F.S.
Reynolds, W.A. Culler, B.F. Fleming, R.C. Milan, R.C. Lall, B.A. Higgins, R.F. Anderson,
J.B. Hill, R.P. Bosfield, J.L. Delinger, J.D. Whitlinging, J.D. Nelson, J.F. Deal, W.C.
Kennerly, M.C. Wood, J.F. Mills, F.A. James, J.L. Holland, George W. Wistenworth,
J.A. Little, J.W. Culler, H.B. Trollinger, J.W. Ray, J.H. Wiles, James Atwood, A.J.
Owensby, J.W. Simon, L.B. Oxford, C.W. Winkler, J.W. Roberts

May 17, 1898

The engagement at Cardenas:
When the U.S. Gun Boat Hudson came up to the government dock, the bodies of five dead men were lying on her after deck. They were the remains of Ensign W. Bagley and four members of the crew of the torpedo boat Winslow who were killed in an engagement in the Cardenas Harbor yesterday afternoon. The bodies were covered by the Stars and Stripes. Ensign Bagley was a native of North Carolina. His mother, Mrs. M.H. Bagley, resides at 125 South Street, Raleigh. His full name is Worth Bagley and
he was appointed to the Naval Academy in September of 1891 from the 4th District, North Carolina. He graduated on June 30 of last year and was appointed an ensign the day following. While a cadet attached to the academy, he was assigned to make cruises on the Texas, Montgomery, Indiana and the Maine. Upon being appointed ensign last July, he was assigned to duty on the Indiana but the following month he was transferred to the Maine. He served on that ship until November 23 last when he was ordered to the Columbia Iron Works for duty in connection with the Winslow which was under construction at the time. When she was completed and put in commission he was attached to her and remained so until the time of his death. He was the son of Major W.H. Bagley for some twenty years clerk of the State Supreme Court. His mother is a daughter of the late Governor Worth. His remains were embalmed and brought to Raleigh for burial.

The U.S. Cruiser Marblehead, the gunboat Nashville and the auxiliary cruiser Windom steamed up to the harbor of Cenfuegas early Wednesday morning with orders to cut the cable connecting Havana with Santiago de Cuba. This task was accomplished but only after a terrible fight between our warships and several thousand Spanish troops which lined the shore and lay behind improvised breast works. One man was killed and six wounded. One of the wounded was Robert Boltz of Carteret County, N.C.

Col. Burgwyn has appointed Dr. Thrash and A.S. Worthen of Asheville and Dr. Reilly of Hillsboro as hospital stewards of the 2nd Regiment. The appointment of officers is nearly completed:
Colonel W.H.S. Burgwyn
Lt. Colonel A.D. Cowles
Majors D.F. Dixen and Lt. Wilder, U.S.A. and almost certainly John W. Cotton
Adjutants R.L. Gary, Bradley Wooten, S.H. McRae and David Clark

May 20, 1898

J.W. Roberts, a private in the Statesville Company, 1st Regiment, who was arrested for embezzlement has been exonerated and has joined his company.

From the Raleigh Dispatch:
The U.S. and N.C. today paid a noble tribute to the memory of the gallant Ensign Worth Bagley, the first officer killed in the war. The body arrived last night and was met by an escort of the 1st Regiment N.C.V., and taken to the home of Ensign Bagley's widowed mother where a detail of troops stood guard. On the casket were the dead officer's chapeau and sword. Among the floral offerings which literally banked the casket and filled all available space in the room were palms sent by General Breckenridge in memory of his son Cabel Breckenridge, young Bagley's classmate.

At the door way was looped an American flag with crepe streamers. Lt. Lawrence L. Adams came from Norfolk Naval Yards to represent the Navy Department. The body remained at the house until 2;30 in the afternoon when it was taken to the capitol and placed in the rotunda which was draped with national and state colors.

The casket was removed from there at 5:00 and placed in front of the statue of Washington where the exercises were held in the presence of the family and city clergy and 10,000 persons. Colonel Thomas S. Keenes presided.

The funeral car was draped in black and was drawn by six horses with six sergeants as body bearers and six captains of volunteers as honorary pall bearers. All business was suspended during the exercises. The ceremony at the grave consisted of a prayer and benediction and the hymn "Now The Day Is Over". As the procession moved, eleven guns were fired by a battery and eleven were fired at the grave and then the regiment fired two volleys. The body was buried quite near the grave of Ensign Bagley's grandfather, Governor Worth.

May 24, 1898

The 1st Regiment N.C.T. left Raleigh Sunday morning for Florida. They were ordered to Tampa but the order was subsequently changed to Jacksonville and they arrived there at 11:00. The third section of the train carrying the regiment on which was the third battalion was wrecked fourteen miles below Savannah, Georgia at 4:00 yesterday morning. Pte. William Barber of the Durham Company was killed and Pte. J.M. Colclaugh of the same company was fatally injured. None of the Statesville company was on this train. Messrs. W.H. Allison and C.B. Webb were in Salisbury Sunday and saw the regiment pass through there. The train was running in three sections and all the sections stopped at Salisbury for a short time. The first section on which Col. Armfield and staff were traveling with the 2nd Battalion arrived at Salisbury at 2:00 and stayed some time. The second section on which was the Statesville company arrived about 3:40 and stopped for about twenty minutes. The third section passed through about 4:00.

May 27, 1898

George B. Anderson went to Charlotte on Tuesday and enlisted in the new company that Captain H.S. Garmley is organizing. Mr. Anderson was appointed 2nd Sgt. And returned last evening looking for recruits for his company. The Adjutant General says that this company will be the 1st Company or Company A of the 3rd Regiment. Men are readily enlisting.

J.S. Adams, Jr., supposed to be the son of J.S. Adams, formerly of this district, and a resident of Statesville is a 2nd lieutenant of the Asheville company of the 2nd Regiment.

Early this morning a special train on the Florida Central and Peninsula Railroad carrying N.C. Volunteers to Florida collided with a north bound vegetable train. Pte. William Barbee, Company I, of Durham, was killed and Pte. G.M. Colclaugh was fatally injured. The soldiers were traveling in section trains. The engineer pushed ahead and was running at a rather rapid rate when the collision occurred. Pte. Barbee was in the last passenger coach next to a freight car containing the baggage of the battalion. He attempted to jump and was caught between the cars. His head was crushed and both legs broken. Pte. Colclaugh was injured internally. The train was attached to another engine and brought back to Savannah. An undertaker was sent to take charge of the body which was sent home for interment. Pte. Barber's body was returned to Durham Monday night. Pte. Colclaugh who is believe to be fatally injured, was taken there on the same train.

The 2nd Regiment, now at Camp Daniel Russell, at Raleigh, has been assigned to Tybee, Georgia and it is supposed will go there as soon as it is equipped and organized.

May 31, 1898

The 2nd Regiment N.C.V. was completed today and has 982 officers and men. Its roster, published for the first time today, is as follows:
Colonel W.H.S. Burgwyn
Lt. Colonel Andrew D. Cowles
Majors: W.T. Wilder, U.S.A., B.F. Dixon, John W. Cotton
Chaplain: Rev. E.A. Osborne
Surgeons: James K. Stockard, E.M. Brevard and W.H. Brooks
Adjutants: R.T. Gray, David Clark, Bradley Wooten, and Samuel H. McRae
Commissary: j. F. Rowland
The captain of the companies are:
S.J. Cobb of Lumber Bridge
J.T. Smith of Greenville
Daniel McRae of Wilmington
R. Percy Gray of Greensboro
Carl W. Jeffreys of Torboro
R.L. Durham of Gastonia
W.T.R. Bell of Rutherfordton
J.L. Gibson of Nantahala
J.W. Cooper of Murphy
B.E. Huske of Fayetteville
J.W. Wagoner of Asheville
Edmund Jones of Lenoir

May 31, 1898

Bumcombe: There is no abatement in the war fever here. Today Frank Carter, a prominent young attorney began to organize a company to be known as the Blue Ridge Rifles. The Buncombe Guards and Zeb Vance Guards, T.C. Stearns and C.D. Clark, captains, respectively, today tendered their services to the government. A company is being formed by Patrolman Nolan and Conductor Simpson of the Southern Railway are getting up still another company. Captain Scott of the colored company was today
notified that his company has been accepted. A second colored company is being formed.

June 7, 1898

The news of the brilliant exploit of Richmond Pearson Hobson, the young naval officer at Santiago de Cuba was read with interest in North Carolina, especially Statesville.  Young Hobson is the nephew of Mrs. Mary Davis of Statesville. He has visited here at frequent intervals since he was a very small boy and is well remembered by many of our people. He was born in Greensboro, Alabama on August 17, 1870 where his parents now live but as both the mother and father are North Carolinians, his glorious achievement will shed luster on the old north state. His father, Judge Hobson, is a native of Davis County and his mother, Mrs. Ann Hobson is a sister of the late Governor Morehead. Judge Hobson was a gallant Confederate soldier. During the war he was captured and when the Confederate forces were about to shell the place where he and other Confederates were imprisoned, the Federal officer served notice that when the shells began they would place Hobson and other Confederate prisoners in front to receive the fire. The news stopped the Confederates from shelling. After the war Mr. Hobson married Sallie Creom Pearson daughter of the late Chief Justice Richmond Pearson and a sister of Mrs. Mary Davis of Statesville and Congressman Richmond Pearson of Asheville. The couple moved to Alabama where they since have lived. They have a large family of children. Lt. Hobson
has been a member of the Episcopal Church since he was 15 years old. Lt. Hobson's great grandfather and great-great grandfather were both officers in the Revolutionary War.

June 10, 1898

Joseph Franklin Armfield was born in Yadkinville, N.C. on Jan. 24, 1862 but has lived nearly all his life in Statesville. He enlisted in the State Guard as a private about 15 years ago and by strict attention to duties rose gradually to his present rank as colonel. He has filled every office in the Iredell Blues of which he was a member from corporal to captain. He was captain of his company five or six years and on December 1, 1892 was elected colonel of the 4th Regiment N. C. Infantry vice Colonel J.T. Anthony, resigned. He is a farmer by occupation, six feet tall, muscular and weighs 165 pounds. Colonel Armfield has always taken a deep interest in the state guards and especially in the 4th Regiment. On the declaration of war with Spain, he at once volunteered for service. Of Colonel Armfield, Adjutant General A.D. Cowles says: "I have the honor of claiming him as my protégé as he joined the Iredell Blues as a private when I was captain in 1882. He was at that time a conspicuous member of the awkward squad and has developed into the accomplished and elegant soldier he is and this fills me with pride. He is now the popular idol not only of Yadkin County which claims his nativity and Iredell the home of his adoption but of all North Carolina." He was commissioned 1st Lt. of the Iredell Blues on June 12, 1885; captain May 26, 1886; and colonel December 10, 1892. He is now at Jacksonville, Florida with his regiment.

Andrew Duvall Cowles is a native of Wilkes County and a son of Colonel Calvin J. Cowles. He spent a number of years of his early life in Charlotte where his father was in charge of the U.S. Assay Office there. From Charlotte, he came about 20 years ago to Statesville which is still his home. He was for some years in the internal revenue service and later in the insurance business. A few years ago he studied law, secured a license and became a member of the Statesville bar. He was for four years postmaster at Statesville under Harrison's administration and was a most capable official. He was educated at a military school and was for several years captain of the Iredell Blues making a very efficient commander. Governor Russell at the beginning of his administration appointed Capt. Cowles Adjutant General of the State Guard. He was recently appointed lieutenant colonel of the Second Regiment N.C.V. and will go with that command to Cuba. He is a gallant man of most engaging manners and will make a record in the war if given the opportunity.

June 14, 1898

In accordance with General Order 33, providing for appointment of officers to go home and recruit companies up to 106 men, Colonel Armfield has made the following details from the three battalions.
1st Battalion Recruiting Office at Raleigh, Sgt. C.C. Branch, Raleigh; Pte. P.C. Hinton, Goldsboro; 2nd Lt. Thomas B. Christian and Pte. L.C. Oldham, Durham; Sgt. R.B. Courts, Reidsville

2nd Battalion Recruiting Office at Asheville, Lt. Thomas W. Patton and Corp. Joseph G. Goodson, Asheville; Sgt. C.(?) H. Turner, Statesville; Sgt. Ben H. Kirkpatrick, Waynesville; Pte. Harold S. Hall, Shelby

3rd Battalion Recruiting Office at Charlotte, Lt. W.A. Erwin and Pte. G.H. Hollister, Queen's City Guards; Artificer A.A. Osborne, Hornet's Nest Riflemen; Sgt. Quint E.(?) Smith, Concord; Sgt. Thomas G. Holt, Winston

June 17, 1898

General Johnstone Jones, former Adjutant General of N.C. and a representative in the legislature from Buncombe County but who has been living in California for several years, has been made colonel of the 1st California Cavalry Volunteers. A son of General D.H. Hill, formerly of this state, is a surgeon in this regiment.

15 North Carolina soldiers were today examined by Dr. Wilder, chief surgeon and entered upon the discharged list as physically disabled and unfit for campaigning duties. The places were filled by new recruits. Others will be examined tomorrow and it is probably that the number of discharged will rise to 25. Those discharged today are:

Company A: Elbert Bailey, James Rhodes, Charles M. Sherrill
Company C: N.L. Alberty
Company E: E.L. Dengle
Company F: George Cannalt
Company H: Joshua Chambers, J.W.B. Moore, Thomas E. Brown, Claude Bennett
Company I: J.I.T.B. Edwards, E.V. Webb
Company L: C.F. Sherrill, P.F. Henderson, C.L. Harris
Company K: F.J. Hartsfield

June 21, 1898

Adjutant General Cowles made public the names of 195 young men who have been selected for appointment as second lieutenants in the regular army. Among those listed from North Carolina are:
Charles Latham, graduate Bingham School
Moore(?) N. Falls, graduate of State University of N.C.
William K. Williams, graduate of Virginia Military Institute
James McDonald C - - - er (last name illegible), honor graduate of Bingham School, N.C.

Sgt. C. H. Turner who is here recruiting for Company E, 1st N.C.R., shipped a half dozen men Saturday. They are:
Herbert Alexander and John W. Morgan of Statesville
Jas. W. Harris(?) of Fairmont
Haywood Cates of Cook's Crossing
Walter R. Cook of Amity
Rockwell Weatherspoon
(transcriber's note, the rest of the article is totally illegible)

The Adjutant General tonight made a sweeping change in his plans for the formation of the seven Negro companies. He takes three complete companies, those of R.H. Alexander of Statesville, W.A. Carpenter of Rutherfordton and Gray Toole of Charlotte and makes up the other four companies from the towns of Greenville, Maxton, Franklinton, Durham, Oxford, Kinston, Winston, Fayetteville, Goldsboro, Asheville and Greensboro. There will be one officer from each place. This division is made to give the Negroes of all these towns a chance. Besides these 100 men will be used to recruit three companies of "Russell's Black Battalion" to a war footing.

July 1, 1898

The roll of the field and staff officers of the Negro Regiment, the 3rd Volunteers is as follows:
Colonel James H. Young, Raleigh
Lt. Colonel C.S.L.A. Taylor of Charlotte
Majors: Andrew J. Haygood of Raleigh and E.E. Smith of Goldsboro
Surgeon Mask of Wilmington, Chief Surgeon
M.T. Pope of Charlotte and D.N. Melebar of Fayetteville, assistant surgeons
Regiment Adjutant David A. Lane of Raleigh
Battalion Adjutant Abe Middleton of Fayetteville

The colored military company and band left for Ft. Macon. 61 officers and men under the command of Captain R.H. Alexander and eleven members of the band under the command of Professor J.P. Murphy embarked at Statesville at 9:42 in two extra cars which were attached to the Norfolk & Chattanooga vestibule. Another extra car attached to the vestibule brought down 27 men from up the road which were to be attached to the company and others were to be added at Cleveland. There was a great crowd of people at the depot to see the soldiers off and there was much weeping among the women.

The following recruits have enlisted with Sgt. Turner, recruiting officer for the 1st Regiment and left this morning for Jacksonville:
Burt Wood, Elmwood
Harry Hobson, Cleveland
A.P. Gilbert, Davidson
J.T. Parnell, J.L. and J.M. Minton from North Wilkesboro
Bruce Leimster and Thomas Bell Moore of Statesville

Harry Hobson is a first cousin of Richmond Pearson Hobson, the hero of the Merrimac adventure, Santiago Harbor. Mr. Wood is a son of Dr. D.B. Wood and a nephew of Reverend Dr. Wood of Statesville.

From the Regular Army Register, 1895, we take the following list of North Carolinians now in the Regular Army. There are none of high rank as they have all gone into the Army since the war all except one graduated at West Point

Captain Robert S. Woodson, Assistant Surgeon
1st Lt. William F. Lewis, Assistant Surgeon
2nd Lt. Robert P. Johnston, Engineers
2nd Lt. Harley B. Ferguson, Engineers
2nd Lt. Chalmers G. Hall, 5th Cavalry
Captain Henry p. Kingsbury, 6th Cavalry
2nd Lt. George E. Barnhardt, 6th Cavalry
Captain Thaddeus W. Jones, 10th Cavalry
1st Lt. Samuel D. Freeman, 10th Cavalry (colored)
1st Lt. William E. Shipp, 10th Cavalry
1st Lt. James B. Hughes, 10th Cavalry
Captain Allen Capson, 1st Artillery
1st Lt. E.E. Gayle, 2nd Artillery
1st Lt. Richmond P. Davis, 2nd Artillery
Captain Edward Davis, 3rd Artillery
1st Lt. Henry R. Lemly, 3rd Artillery
1st Lt. Matt R. Peterson, 6th Infantry
1st Lt. Charles Gerhart, 8th Infantry
1st Lt. Henry Kirby, 10th Infantry
2nd Lt. Douglas Settle, 10th Infantry
1st Lt. Zebulon B. Vance, 11th Infantry
2nd Lt. John S. Battle, 11th Infantry
Captain William Lassiter, 16th Infantry
2nd Lt. Benjamin t. Simmons, 16th Infantry
Captain Calvin D. Cowles, 23rd Infantry (now Lt. Col. 1st Reg't. N.C.V.)
1st Lt. Jas. B. Batchelor, 24th Infantry (colored)
1st Lt. James E. Brett, 24th Infantry (colored)
Captain Edward F. Glenn, 25th Infantry (colored)
1st Lt. William T. Welden, 24th Infantry (colored)
1st Lt. Frank T. Nenwelbar(?), Assistant Surgeon, retired

July 8, 1898

Sgt. C.H. turner, the recruiting officer for the 1st N.C.R. who left here Tuesday for Asheville took with him four recruits, Thomas B. Moore being one of them.

Henry Hall received a telegram from Adjutant General Cowles Monday evening offering him a place as pharmacist in the 7th Army Corps, now at Jacksonville, Florida. Mr. Hall decided to accept and Tuesday evening left for Raleigh to stand the exam. A telegram to his brother, R.A. Hall on Wednesday evening announced that he had passed the exam and would leave for Jacksonville to begin work.

July 15, 1898

Sgt. Wood left yesterday for Governor's Island, N.Y. He was detailed to accompany Lt. Goodman and two privates who were in charge of the Wiggs brothers who got three years for desertion. They went by water on the steamboat Seminole and will probably spend a day or two at their respective homes as they were allowed ten days to make the trip.

July 19, 1898

Lincolnton Journal

Trooper J.S. Murphy of Troop K, 5th U.S. Cavalry arrived at his home yesterday on a thirty day furlough. He was wounded in the leg above the knee and his horse killed while doing scouting duty around Santiago on Friday, July 1. The bullet passed through his leg and then killed the horse he was riding. There were twenty men detailed from his regiment of cavalry and mounted for scouting and reconnoitering. They had to cover the country three or four miles in advance of the army and to show what a hazardous duty it was he says that of the 26 men detailed from the 5th, twenty were killed and the other six wounded. Mr. Murphy enlisted from Hickory several months ago. He married Etta Carrole who after he joined up, moved here. He came over from Cuba with 300 other wounded on the transport Cherokee. His wound is nearly well and causes him but little trouble. He reports that Ed Seapoch and Ainsley Yoder of Hickory were killed in the battle of Santiago.

Lincoln Journal

For weary days, with aching hearts, Lt. W.E. Shipp's heart broken wife and sisters waited for some particulars of his death in the Battle of Santiago. At last, on Tuesday, Mrs. Shipp received a letter from Lt. M.H. Barnum, who found and buried the body of his brother officer. The letter was written on board the transport Cherokee which was bringing the wounded home and was written on July 8. It was mailed at Key West. Lt. Barnum was badly injured in the hip but his sufferings did not prevent his writing news he knew was so anxiously awaited.

He noted that in passing over the battlefield about noon Friday, July 1, he found Lt. Shipp lying "well in front". He had been "shot through the body, probably through the heart and died instantly". About fifty yards away late the body of Lt. Shipp's dearest friend Lt. Smith.

That night about 10:00, Lt. Barnum with a detail of men went to bury his friends. His intention was to lay them side by side in the same grave but he could not find Lt. Smith's body, it must have been found and buried by another friend.

Lt. Barnum and his party in the still watches of the tropical night, dug a grave and in it placed the body of his friend and then "knowing that he was a member of the church and being a member himself, he said the Lord's Prayer over the grave". At the head
of the grave he placed a board with the inscription "Lt. W.E. Shipp, 10th Cavalry, U.S.A., killed July 1, 1898" and otherwise marked the spot so that they could readily identify it and locate it.

Lt. Barnum stated that he had not seen Lt. Shipp that day until he found him dead but from others he learned that he had been doing splendid service in guiding the troops through the dense undergrowth and it was thought he met his death while carrying orders from one part of the battlefield to another.

Lt. Shipp was a Quartermaster of the brigade, a position which he did not want as it was a non-combat position and his presence in the front is accounted for by the theory he had volunteered for dangerous duty in the discharge of which he met his death, the death of a soldier and a hero.

July 29, 1898

The remaining companies of the 2nd Regiment got orders this afternoon to go to stations. Companies B, H, K and L go to St. Simon's Island near Brunswick, Georgia; Company G of Gastonia goes to Port Royal; Company E of Greenville to Tykee, Georgia. Major B.F. Dixon goes to Port Royal; Colonel Burgwyn, Lt. Col. Cowles and Lt. McRae, the non commissioned staff and band go to St. Simon's which is regimental headquarters. Col. Cowles will remain here for two weeks of leave to attend to business as Adjutant General. He is not yet able to do active work. The plaster of paris mould which has been on his broken leg six weeks ago was removed tonight.

August 5, 1898

Pte. McElroy of Waynesville Co., went deranged last week and was to be taken to the military Asylum soon. It seems he had never been away from home before and could not get used to his surroundings.

2nd Lt. B.F. Davis of Company C, 2nd N.C.R. has been appointed 1st Lt. to succeed A.C. Avery, Jr., resigned. Avery, who resigned and then changed his mind, has been appointed 2nd Lt., to succeed Davis.

The following have been made corporals, the companies being allowed twelve instead of six as before: F.W. Gaines, O.H. Lipe, L.E. Seabach, T.S. Hamner, J.M. Crisp, and T.A. Brown.

August 19, 1898

The friends of the 1st N.C. Regiment will be delighted at the promotion of Dr. R.R. Hunter from the position of hospital steward to that of acting assistant surgeon.

August 26, 1898

Charlotte Observer:
The death of Corp. Chase Adams was due to peritonitis caused by the sloughing of the appendix. His original trouble was appendicitis. He cheerfully submitted to the operation as the only hope of saving his life. Dr. McDill had performed many such operations before. Everything was done for the patient that could be done. He was never left alone during his illness.

September 6, 1898

Orders were given today for the mustering out of the 2nd N.C. Regiment now at St. Simon's Island, Georgia

September 16, 1898

Pte. Baumgardner of the Raleigh Co., 1st N.C.V. died of typhoid fever in camp at Jacksonville yesterday. His home was at or near Hickory and his remains were sent there for burial.

Transcribed by Christine Spencer May 2007


NCGenWeb Military Spanish American War

Contact: NCGenWeb State Coordinator 


© 2010 to present, NCGenWeb Project Inc. - All Rights Reserved
Last updated:  February 11, 2016