(click photo for larger image)
Williamsboro, Vance County, North Carolina
|PLANTATION NAME:||BURNSIDE PLANTATION, aka HUNT-HAMILTON HOUSE|
|ORIGINAL OWNER:||1st in 1750 to Joseph Davenport; 1768 to Charles Kennan; 1786 to Vinkler Jones|
|ASSOCIATED SURNAMES:||Jones, Hunt, Hamilton, Hardy|
plantation on which Burnside now stands was first granted to Joseph
Davenport by Lord Granville in 1750. He apparently built a house and several
outbuildings about 1760. The smokehouse to the northwest of the present
house is probably the only remaining structure of this complex. In 1768,
Davenport sold his place "on both sides of Little Island Creek" to Charles
Kennan. Kennan transferred the property to Vinckler Jones on May 2, 1786.
His son, John Jones, is thought to have built the present house about 1800.
On Nov. 10, 1818, John Jones sold Dr. Thomas Hunt approximately 2500 acres
of land including the house. In April 1824, Dr. Hunt conveyed the house and
2000 acres to Patrick Hamilton for $10,000. Hamilton was one of the
wealthiest and most influential men in the area, serving as a state senator
from Granville Co. Hamilton gave the plantation the name Burnside in honor
of his birthplace, Burnside, Bannarkshire, Scotland.
|SLAVE POPULATION:||List of Slaves
in Will of Vinkler Jones, 1817,Granville County Will Book 12, Page 229:
To wife Elizabeth Jones:
|MISCELLANEOUS:||National Register of Historic Places; Will of Vinckler Jones,1817|
North Carolina Plantations
A NCGenWeb Special Project
© 2016 to present by NCGenWeb Project Inc.