NCGenWeb
Welcome to Historic Clarendon County (1654-1667)

 

Official Documents pertaining to Clarendon Co.
Moving map showing formations. (see 1667)
Historical Map-1682
Historical Map-1685
Historical Map-1738
History

"Clarendon was one of three counties authorized by the Lords Proprietors of Carolina to be set up in 1664. The Concessions and Agreement of 1665 directed that this county be confined to 'one side of the main river near Cape Faire, on which some of the adventurers are already settled, or Intend to settle, and the Islands in or near the said River next the side they settle on, Unless they have already settled, or Intend to settle, and the Islands in or near the said River next the side they settle on, Unless they have already settled some Island thereon.' It was named for Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, one of the Lords Proprietors. By July 1663 and perhaps as early as November 1663, or even earlier, a colony from Charleston, Massachusetts, was established here under the leadership of William Hilton. The site was abandoned by 1664 when a colony from Barbados under Sir John Yeamans arrived. The colony occupied 'Charles Town" which the New Englanders had left. Yeamans was commissioned governor of Clarendon County in January 1665, and the population reached an estimated eight hundred before the county was abandoned in 1667. The site of this settlement was later in New Hanover (and now in Brunswick) County.

[Written by William S. Powell]" p. xxiv in Corbitt's "Formation of The North Carolina Counties."

New Hanover Co.

History from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The county was formed in 1729 as New Hanover Precinct of Bath County, from Craven Precinct. It was named for the House of Hanover, which was then ruling Great Britain.

In 1734 parts of New Hanover Precinct became Bladen Precinct and Onslow Precinct. With the abolition of Bath County in 1739, all of its constituent precincts became counties.

In 1750 the northern part of New Hanover County became Duplin County. In 1764 another part of New Hanover County was combined with part of Bladen County to form Brunswick County. Finally, in 1875 the separation of northern New Hanover County to form Pender County reduced it to its present dimensions. Some of the closing battles of the American Civil War happened in the county with the Second Battle of Fort Fisher (the last major coastal stronghold of the Confederacy) and the Battle of Wilmington. The Wilmington Insurrection of 1898 and its establishment of Jim Crow laws closed out the 19th-Century with civil rights injustices which would last until the African-American Civil Rights Movement through the second half of the 20th century, three generations later. The insurrection was planned by a group of nine conspirators which included Hugh MacRae. He later donated land to New Hanover County for a park which was named for him. In the park still stands a plaque in his honor that does not mention his role in the 1898 insurrection

===

Brunswick Co.

The county was formed in 1764 from parts of Bladen County and New Hanover County. It was named for the colonial port of Brunswick Town (now in ruins) which was itself named for Duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg; at the time held by the British kings of the House of Hanover

History from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

 

Jo Branch <bjcb.xx ATgmail.com>
Historical Counties Coordinator
NCGenWeb Board

Last updated 01 Dec 2012
© 09 Sept. 2010-present, NCGenWeb, Inc.
- All Rights Reserved