Contacting the NC State Archives

For the latest update on ordering and changes at Requesting Records by Mail.
This number does not answer on weekends.
Phone: (919) 807-7310

Fax: (919) 733-1354

*Ordering records from the North Carolina State Archives*
Archives and Records Section
4614 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4614  

The Physical Address of the Archives (and State Library of North Carolina) is:
109 E. Jones Street
Raleigh, NC 27601-2807

Click for instructions for ordering if you are a North Carolina Resident
Only North Carolina residents can order via email.

Click for instructions for ordering if you are Not a North Carolina Resident


For requests: I quote from a response by one of the employees:
Write one brief letter for each problem, enclosing a SASE
and $20.00 search fee if you are a nonresident of North Carolina.
North Carolina law requires it.

Checks and Money Orders should be made payable to:
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources

Provide name of the person whose record is desired, date of the record, probable county, and the type of record sought. Keep it brief!! Do not explain familial relationships and accomplishments!!
Unless you are a long lost relative, THEY DON"T CARE!!!

The North Carolina taxpayers support the Archives with their tax dollars (whether they wish to do so or not) and unfortunately, economics prevent them from supplying those services free, for non-residents, much as they might desire so to do.

Result: In the fullness of time a sheet will arrive in one SASE with a description of the material and the price for photocopying same. If there is no record # that will be noted, along with the types of records that have been unsuccessfully searched.

Ordering: Return sheet with a check or money order and you will receive a stamped dated photocopy
of the record as soon as your request can be filled." (My note, sometimes they are a month or more, backlogged)

The under funded North Carolina State Archives fields at least 17,000 mail queries a year. Archives of original colonies are simply swamped -- and they want to provide copies of the records. They are amazingly prompt and skilled and responsive. (and might I add, very polite and helpful). The well-trained personnel cannot look up the estates papers IF the request is just for a WILL.

[They cannot tell you if there is a will, for Joe Blow, in Watchmacallit County. You have to tell them the name of the testator and and the county where that person died. If you do not know, you cannot expect them to find it.

In fact, they probably will not, search for anything in the archives, unless there is an index that they can use.

Or, they will send you, a list of professional genealogists who do that kind of thing..
They want to help the researcher, and their performance has been superb in responding to requests. They have no control over the records that were created, nor over those that have survived.

Notice: The North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources does have the Rev. War Army Accounts on microfilm but, they do not do the search for the names included. (These accounts are involved and not easy to read and understand)

They do not have the Federal Revolutionary War service or pension records. Those are housed at the National Archives (NARA) in Washington, D.C. and must be obtained from them. You can now order files from NARA through their website by using downloadable forms. The types of records available at NARA are listed here:

Access to Military Service and Pension Records

 The forms are available on this Order Online Page.


Many Military Records are now available through or Fold3, which are fee based services, so if you have a subscription to either of these, you will want to check there first. 

HeritageQuest, which is available for free from home through many local library websites, also has a large collection of Revolutionary War Pension files, although, not all of the files are complete.  Check with your local libraries and some historical societies to see if they have HQ; libraries will generally allow access from your own computer by using your library card.