Return to Hyde Co. Main Page
Old Lake Landing Post Office
Notice the intricate detail at the peak of the roof.
For around 135 years the name Lake Landing was attached to a post office located at the intersection of the Gray Ditch and Highway 264. Records reveal that there was a Mattamuskeet Post Office as early as 1811 and that Hugh Jones was the postmaster. Robert M. Blackwell was appointed to the office on April 14, 1819. On June 13, 1821 the name of the office was changed to Lake Landing with Robert Blackwell still the postmaster. Other early postmasters were Abner Pasteur (1814), Nehemiah Benson (1818), Daniel Murray (1827), Ananias Sadler (1832). The office was closed during the Eisenhower Administration. Between 1899 and the year of its closing some of the postmasters have been Lawrence L. Gibbs, John L. Mann, George Midyette, Edward Swindell, Norfleet Mann, and Warren Watson.
(Photos courtesy of Sandra Carawan. Information from Hyde County History published by the Hyde Co. Historical Society in 1976.)