Miscellaneous Newspaper Articles
for Hyde Co., NC
(July 1955 - Dec. 1955)

(Space filler)

As Keeper of Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in 1835, Isaac FARROW, was paid a salary of $400.00 a year. (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 1, 1955; pg. 2)


After more than four months of freedom, Carroll Linwood GIBBS of Shawboro, who sawed his way out of the Hyde County jail on February 4th, was picked up by police detectives in Baltimore, Md. last Friday night. Hyde County Sheriff, Charlie J. CAHOON, accompanied by Patrolman W.E. WILLIAMS, returned him to the Hyde County jail where he will be held until the October term of Hyde County Superior Court. At the time of his escape, GIBBS was being held on a robbery charge. (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 1, 1955; pg. 9)


Monday night last, Mrs. Mildred GUTHRIE entertained her son and daughter-in-law, Mr. & Mrs. Douglas GUTHRIE, who were recently married in Pantego, at the home of her mother, Mrs. John Curtis GASKILL of Engelhard. About 65 guests called during the evening. (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 8, 1955; pg. 7)


The marriage of Miss Ella Elaine TRIMBLE, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Earl C. TRIMBLE of Tulleytown, Pa., to Ivy L. O'NEAL, son of Mr. & Mrs. Rufus WILLIAMS of Engelhard, was solemnized Sunday, July 3 at 2 p.m. in the Engelhard Christian Church. Rev. A.W. HUFFMAN, pastor of the church, officiated. Mrs. Ernest R. HANBURY, sister of the groom, was matron of honor and only attendant. Al SCHMITT was the groom's best man and the ushers were Billy HARDISON of Engelhard and Edison N. WILLIAMS of Norfolk, Va. The couple will make their home in Tulleytown, Pa. (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 8, 1955; pg. 7)


Laurin JARVIS of the U.S. Navy, who has been stationed in Jacksonville, Fla., is with his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Harry JARVIS.

Edward MANN, little son of Mr. & Mrs. Max MANN, has returned from Tayloe Hospital.

Mrs. Gerald DAUGHERTY and son Jerry, left this week for New York to fly to Africa to join Mr. DAUGHERTY serving in the U.S. Army. She is the former Laura V. LITCHFIELD.

Mrs. Mamie NEAL of Rocky Mount is spending some time with her daughter, Mrs. R.B. BALLANCE.

A daughter, Debra Lynn, was born to Mr. & Mrs. Sonny TERRY of Portsmouth, Va. on June 30th. Mrs. TERRY is the former Connie BERRY of Engelhard and Portsmouth.

Mrs. Richard GIBBS and Miss Dorinda BERRY of Raleigh visited their parents, Mr. & Mrs. Jabin BERRY.

Mrs. Cyntha SPENCER, Mrs. Josie WHITLEY and Mrs. Elizabeth BRADDY visited their sister, Mrs. S.S. MARSHALL.

Mr. & Mrs. J.D. LINDVILLE and little daughter of Charlotte, are visiting her parents, Mr. & Mrs. John PATRICK.

Mr. & Mrs. Buck HARDEE and daughter, Dawn, of Wilmington, are guests of her parents, Mr. & Mrs. J.B. WATSON.

Ralph ROPER is a patient in the Veterans Hospital in Durham. Mrs. ROPER accompanied him and is with her daughter and son-in-law, Mrs. Henry HARDING. (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 8, 1955; pg. 7)


Ten years ago when he was 16 or so, Edison MIDGETT was about as promising a printer's apprentice as ever worked in the print shop and the Times Publishing Company was looking forward to years and years mutually profitable experience with him. But the call of his blood was in him and he left to join the USCG, but first for a seasoning hitch with the Merchant Marines until the service of his choice could take him aboard. He had to be 17 to get joined up and right after his 17th birthday, he joined. Two weeks ago young MIDGETT took command of the 83-footer based at Ocracoke and assigned to the Cape Hatteras Group of the Coast Guard. Four weeks earlier he had been promoted to the grade of Chief Bos'n. Mate, one of the youngest men ever to make the grade in the service during peacetime. Chief MIDGETT is the great-grandson of Capt. Benjamin Dailey MIDGETT who came to Cape Hatteras Station two years ago as BM1c and under both CWO Cyrus GRAY and CWO Harold GLYNN, group commanders, proved himself. His competence as a boatman was spectacularly proved a year ago when he handled the rescue of the crew of the "Omar Babin" just north of Chicamacamico. He made the scene of the wreck from the Cape Hatteras Station, a distance of 27 miles, in forty minutes flat after the first radio signal was heard. Just two days before he took command of the vessel at Ocracoke, Chief MIDGETT was mightily pleased at the birth of his first son, his third child. His family lives at Ocracoke. (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 15, 1955; pg. 1)


Robert S. WAHAB, JR., a practicing attorney at Virginia Beach, won the nomination Tuesday for commonwealth's attorney in Princess Anne County in a hotly contested campaign. His vote was 6,576 against James E. HEATH's 4,189. (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 15, 1955; pg. 1)


Elmo MOORE, and Engelhard Negro, age 45, laborer who was employed on the Croatan Sound Bridge, died when he fell 15 feet to the waters of Croatan Sound last Friday. He was pushing a small truck which jumped off the track, when he lost his balance and fell, Workers below grabbed him after he hit the water but he either suffered a heart attack or was injured in the fall. MOORE had lived in the Manteo area most of the time after the war. Early this week some 25 Hyde County Negro laborers employed by the T.A. LOVING Company, bridge contractor, decided to strike for more pay. Some think the strike was precipitated by their fear of working over the water after the death of MOORE. They returned to work after 2 days without any increase in pay. (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 22, 1955; pg. 1)


On Saturday, July 22nd at 4 p.m., Miss Dorothy Marie SEARS and Hugh Edwin BELL, JR., were united in marriage in a double ring ceremony at the First Methodist Church with the Rev. A.S. PARKER officiating. The bride is the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Daniel Webster SEARS, SR. of Fairfield, and the groom is the son of Mr. & Mrs. BELL of Wilmington. Mrs. BELL, a graduate of Fairfield High School and Henderson Business College, is employed at Vance Trucking Co. Mr. BELL, a graduate of New Hanover High School of Wilmington, is employed at the Tarheel Boating and Sporting Co. The couple will reside in Henderson. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 5, 1955; pg. 4)


The annual CARAWAN reunion was held July 24, at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Billy SPENCER at Rose Bay. The morning hours were occupied by handshaking and greetings as the crowd assembled. The ladies spread platters of chicken, ham, deviled eggs, pone bread, etc. Rev. Macon SPENCER pronounced the invocation. Among the out of county guests were: Mr. & Mrs. Webster CARAWAN and family of Roanoke Rapids; Mrs. Minnie CARAWAN, and John, Rockey and Rachel HOPE of Ponzer; Mrs. Jap WINFIELD, Mrs. C.H. CARAWAN, Mr. & Mrs. Clarence CARAWAN, Mr. & Mrs. Willie ALLEN, Mrs. B.C. CARAWAN, SR., Mr. & Mrs. B.G. CARAWAN of Pantego; Mr. & Mrs. Denton CARAWAN of New Bern; John R. SPENCER of Rocky Mount; Margaret Ann and Ruth TOOLEY of Wenona; Mr. & Mrs. Henry TOOLEY, JR. and Al R. DIXON of Plymouth. Approximately 150 attended. During the afternoon, Rev. Macon SPENCER brought a message of cheer and goodwill to the group. The 1956 reunion will be held at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Leon HARRIS on the Credle Road. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 5, 1955; pg. 4)


Mrs. Romeo GASPARRINI returned from Tayloe Hospital Wednesday with Geno GASPARRINI, born Monday, July 25th.

Mr. & Mrs. Milton HARRIS, newlyweds, are visiting her mother, Mrs. Lucille SEARS. Also visiting Mrs. SEARS were Mr. & Mrs. N.F. SEARS, JR. of South Carolina.

Mr. & Mrs. Pratt WILLIAMSON of Swan Quarter, Mrs. Charlie AYERS and Mrs. Edgar O'NEAL visited Mrs. Ethel GIBBS on Sunday.

Mr. & Mrs. John LUPTON of Swan Quarter, recently visited relatives in Buffalo, New York, her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Griffen SAWYER, on Sunday

Mrs. Kenneth GRAY and daughters, and Mrs. Ralph GREEN were in Greenville on Saturday. While there they visited Station WNCT-TV as a birthday present for little Miss Gloria GRAY on her 4th birthday.

Mr. & Mrs. Archie CARAWAN motored to Washington on Sunday to take her mother, Mrs. Daisy MOORE, to visit her daughter, Mrs. Ted CUTLER and family.

Floyd MIDYETTE has returned form a vacation in Western, N.C. He was accompanied by his sisters, Misses Cora Lee and Connie MIDYETTE.

Fred O'NEAL and family of Pantego, visited her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Carlos WILLIAMS.

Mr. & Mrs. Carrell SILVERTHORN and children of Durmont, New Jersey, visited Mr. & Mrs. Aubrey SWINDELL. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 5, 1955; pg. 5)


Mr. & Mrs. Robert CARAWAN and son of Providence, R.I., are visiting Mr. & Mrs. Marcus CARAWAN.

Lt. William F. WILLIAMS is in training at the Air Force Base in Bainbridge, Ga. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 5, 1955; pg. 5)


Reginald Vanvert HODGES, son of Mr. & Mrs. Charlie Dixon HODGES of Engelhard in Hyde County, and Miss Alice Faye MUSSER [spelled MUSSEN in one place and MUSSER in two places], daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Harry K. MUSSER of Hyde County and Pennsylvania, were united in marriage in Columbia on July 29th by Rev. Robert Henry EASON, Methodist minister. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 5, 1955; pg. 6)


Mr. & Mrs. Edward NEAL, Mr. & Mrs. Russel NEAL and children of Hickory, Va., spent the week-end with Mr. & Mrs. S.D. SPENCER. Mrs. NEAL remained here with her parents for the week.

Mr. & Mrs. Max HODGES and son Wiley, were in Chapel Hill on Tuesday last, where the took Wiley to the hospital for treatment. He is expected home this week.

Mr. & Mrs. Paul CARTER and children of Cherry Point, spent the week-end here with Mr. & Mrs. R.S. SPENCER. Mary Lee SPENCER returned home from visiting them when they came. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 5, 1955; pg. 6)

by Hal Shapiro (Reprint in Carteret County News Times)

Julian BROWN, resident of Carteret County for over 50 years, is one of the few people who owns, by himself, and island within the continental limits of the United States. Mr. BROWN, a native of Hyde County, was born in Swan Quarter on October 10, 1871. He owns Brown Island, located north-northeast of Harkers Island, the largest privately-owned island in North Carolina. Calling Marshallburg his home at the present time, Mr. BROWN, going on 84, is now a farmer and stock raiser, though at one time her was a lumberman, policeman, Army private and storekeeper. Though he had only seven months of formal schooling in his home town of Swan Quarter, Mr. BROWN is well versed on history going back to the days of the Roman Empire, and can recite most everything he reads. He states that he has been told her has a photographic memory. In 1895 he left home and went to Fort Monroe, Va. where he joined the Army on May 1st. He signed up for a 3-year hitch with Battery B, 3rd Coast Artillery, but was honorably discharged in 1897, "by favor" when his father, Hezekiah BROWN, passed away. Upon leaving the service, he worked as a storekeeper for a time with W.J. HARRIS at Leechville, a dry goods emporium, and then joined the Tunis Lumber Company as boss lumberman. The lumber firm was the second largest in the state at that time. On April 7, 1898, Julian BROWN married the former Annie SHAVENDER and he and his bride went to Pantego to farm for his father-in-law. August of that same year found Julian on the go once again and he wound up at Belport, which became Belhaven while he was a resident. As he explained it, "There was a Mrs. MONTGOMERY at the town commissioner's meeting when the town was ready for incorporation and she had originally come from New Haven, Conn. Another of the commissioners had an eldest daughter named Belle, and so it was decided to name the town using Belle and Haven, and the name has been with the town ever since. The town is now known as Belhaven, and I was the first policeman that the town had." One of the largest industries in Belhaven at that time was the Booth Oyster Company. But in 1900 the great storm came and millions of bushels of oysters were sanded up in Pamlico Sound, according to Mr. BROWN. After leaving the police job, he decided to become a salesman and started selling horses and mules to the farmers around Belhaven. In November 1904 he bought what was known as Craney Island from the McCagey NELSON heirs in Beaufort, and the island was renamed by the Federal Government about 20 years ago, as BROWN Island. On January 1, 1905 Mr. BROWN moved into Carteret County and he and most of his family have been living there ever since. Originally Harkers Island and Craney Island were all part of a grant made by King George in England to Thomas POLLOCK, one of the colonial governors in 1730. The sons of Mr. POLLOCK sold the islands to Ebenezer HARKERS and in Ebenezer's will he bequeathed the islands to his children. The southern part of Harkers Island went to James Harker, the eastern end to daughter, Clarissa, the straits to Ebenezer, Jr., and Craney Island was bequeathed to Zachariah. Zachariah bequeathed the island to his only daughter, Rachel, and upon her death the island was to go to her first born son, John Harker GOODING. Rachel married a ship-wrecked mariner from Nova Scotia who worked for a time as overseer of her father's slaves. She and Jonathan GOODING had five other children, including Matthew who purchased the island from his brother, John Harker GOODING. Matthew made his money as a captain of a ship, the "Condor", and he bequeathed the island to his wife upon his death in 1863. His wife, Rebecca GOODING, sold the island to Jim and Henry DAVIS and they in turn sold it to McCagey NELSON. It was from NELSON's heirs that Mr. BROWN bought the island. The body of Matthew GOODING lies buried in the graveyard back of the Methodist Church in Beaufort. It is Mr. BROWN's contention that a lot of the work that Matthew GOODING was doing in the 1820's led to the Civil War. As he worded it, "Captain GOODING was in charge of an English ship which picked up cotton at southern ports and took it to England where it was manufactured into finished goods and then would be brought back for sale in the South. The northern manufacturers who had to bring the cotton North by vessel and then resell in the South found that they couldn't compete with the English on the reselling of their products. Thus more fuel was added to the smoldering fire of the North-South battle." On the island that Mr. BROWN owns, which he's had many offers for, he raises horses, cattle, sheep and hogs. He said, "The cattle we have on the island have really gotten wild. They're wilder than deer on open ground. At present when we want one to eat, we go to the island and shoot it. Then the carcass is cut up for food." Mr. BROWN is a big man. He said he got his height and strength from his father, a durable pious Scotsman, after whose grandfather, Brown University in Rhode Island was named. Mr. BROWN's father, Hezekiah, was in charge of a slave labor crew which cut down the first trees in Pine Bluff, Arkansas back in 1858-62. On his return to his home in North Carolina, he stopped in Memphis when the typhoid fever epidemic was in full force. He boarded a train in Memphis for Richmond with a handkerchief saturated with turpentine over his mouth. He arrived back at his home in North Carolina that year and died when he contracted pneumonia. His son, Mr. Julian BROWN, has 7 children: Captain Roy, who was skipper of the state boat under Gov. Kerr SCOTT; Julian, Jr.; Claude; Mrs. Esther VALENTINE; Mrs. Hilda BERTRAM, all of Marshallburg; Mrs. Annie V. PIERCE of Portsmouth, Va.; and Mrs. Margaret BENSON, of Mr. Rainer, Washington. Mr. BROWN has a fine collection of Indian relics which he has found in the vicinity of his home at Marshallburg and in other parts of this section of the state. His son Roy, was the first white child born in Belhaven after the incorporation of the town. Most of the other children were born in Carteret County. Though in his 84th year, Mr. BROWN is hale and hearty and though he loves to read, he's never had to use, as he puts it, 'spectacles'. His study of history started while he was in service and he has been a student of the subject ever since. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 5, 1955; pg. 7)


Whether it was because they were catching so many fish or because they were absorbed in discussing last week's great revamping of the county school system is not known, but Saturday afternoon while fishing in Shell Bay near Swan Quarter, three Hyde County school officials allowed darkness to creep upon them before heading in, and as a result, spent an uncomfortable night in the bay while their anxious families arranged a search for the trio. The three men, superintendent Tommie GAYLORD of Swan Quarter, principal W.G. JOYNER of Swan Quarter, and principal M.C. HOLLAND of Engelhard, were fishing from a small boat equipped with an outboard motor. When they started in, they found that it was so dark that they could not locate the channel know as the "Blowout" to get out of Shell Bay. The channel is not lighted and they did not have a flashlight. After searching for several hours, they decided to anchor and wait for daylight, since they did not want to burn all their gas. So the three, their clothes wet by the spray from the rough water, spent a chilly night with much of their time occupied fighting mosquitoes. Meanwhile, a number of volunteers had begun to search for the fishermen. When no trace of them had been found by four o'clock, the Coast Guard was notified. A plane was sent to Elizabeth City and a boat was dispatched from Belhaven. When the plane arrived, the three men were just entering the harbor at Swan Quarter. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 12, 1955; pg.3)


Mr. & Mrs. James PUGH of Norfolk, and Mr. & Mrs. Frank SADLER of New Holland, visited Mr. & Mrs. Joe PUGH. Mr. & Mrs. Earl PUGH and Junior also visited.

Mrs. Warren PAYNE is home after a visit at Roanoke Rapids and Valdosta, Georgia. Mr. & Mrs. Sephas HARRIS and Sharon of Roanoke Rapids, spent the week-end with Mr. & Mrs. PAYNE.

Mrs. Patsy McKINNEY of Engelhard spent several days with her daughter, Mrs. Carl PUGH.

Mrs. Mary DAIL of Springfield has returned home after a week here with her sister, Mrs. Roscoe MASON.

Carol GILLIGAN is visiting her uncle and aunt, Mr. & Mrs. Bill MASON of Norfolk, Va. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 12, 1955; pg. 4)


Leroy GIBBS and family and Braxton SAWYER and family were called here Thursday from Hickory, Va. by the death of Doris GIBBS.

Oliver ANGE of Norfolk visited his daughter, Mrs. Romeo GASPERRINA, last week.

Mr. & Mrs. Odia WILLIAMS and family, Mrs. Florida WILLIAMS and Leah Wayne WILLIAMS, attended the SMITHWICK-SMITH wedding at Ponzer Saturday. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 12, 1955; pg. 5)


Born to Mr. & Mrs. Earl BERRY, a daughter, Earline, on August 5 at Pungo Hospital in Belhaven. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 12, 1955; pg. 9)


Booker T. BASNIGHT, Gum Neck Negro, is taken to jail in Columbia charged with stabbing in the back and cutting on the head, Elbert Lee SPENCER of Fairfield early Sunday morning in a fight at Gum Neck. BASNIGHT's bond has been fixed at $300 for appearance Monday morning in Recorder's Court. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 26, 1955; pg. 4)


Pfc. Edgar M. BALLANCE, whose wife, Maude, and parents Mr. & Mrs. E. BALLANCE, lives on Ocracoke Island, recently graduated from the harbor craft supervision course at the Army's Transportation School at Ft. Eustis, Virginia. (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 26; 1955; pg. 8)


The three Negro men who saved the life of a Columbia white woman and her baby when her care ran into a canal near Gum Neck recently, have been identified by one of our readers. Robert TOPPING of near Swan Quarter, was on his way to work to Columbia when he saw Mrs. Mark ALEXANDER's car swerve off the road and into a deep canal almost a mile ahead. He sped up and when he reached the spot, his father, Delany TOPPING, and his brother, Melford TOPPING, jumped into the canal. They first handed the small baby to Robert and then got Mrs. ALEXANDER out a window of the car just before it sank from view. The men offered to take her to the Columbia hospital but she said she wasn't hurt and asked that they carry her back to her mother's at Gum Neck. Original reports of the accident failed to identify the rescuers and now they are known and they may receive the credit due them. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 9, 1955; pg. 1)

by Ben Dixon MacNeill

Four months past her 90th birthday, Mrs. Rovene QUIDLEY, the matriarch of Hatteras Island whose long life and uncommon energy were devoted to neighborly usefulness, died Saturday morning at 8:30 at the home of her son, Guy QUIDLEY, with whom she had lived since the weight of her years made it no longer possible for her to maintain her own house. Current generations of residents of Hatteras Island knew her and venerated her as "Miss Rovene" and they so addressed her when, even as she approached her 90th year, they would see her walking briskly around the village or would find her, as they always did, attending the services of her church...actually her churches, because she belonged to both the churches in the community, supported them even-handed with a tithe of her resources. Throughout the half century when there was no doctor on the Island and little communication with the world beyond the Sounds, Mrs. QUIDLEY was midwife to the community and not many days before her death, she got out her record book to show what must have been her favorite grandson, Ensign 1st Class, Preston QUIDLEY, of the USCG. She had brought 352 babies into the world. This grandson was the last individual she was able to recognize before she lapsed into unawareness. But not merely was she midwife, she was neighbor and friend and sound counselor, gentle and kindly and keenly intelligent. She was vigorous of both body and mind and independent. Until five years or so ago she lived alone in her own house down on the sound side some distance from the new highway, but at the insistence of her family, she allowed the house to be moved out to the highway, to a site next door to her son and within sight of her grandson. Mrs. QUIDLEY was the widow of David G. QUIDLEY, who died 53 years ago. It was remembered in the community that Mr. QUIDLEY, who was later a member of the crew at Creed's Hill Station, was the first contract mail carrier on the Island, making the trip from Chicamacomico to Hatteras on horseback when post offices were established here during the 1870's. The trip along the Island with the mail in saddlebags, required a day in each direction. Abraham LINCOLN was not a month dead when Mrs. QUIDLEY was born. It is not wholly clear whether she was born on the Island or on the mainland in Hyde County. Many of the Islanders, with southern sympathies, had been compelled to flee the Island after the invasion during the Civil War. But she returned to the Island in infancy and was but rarely away from it in the succeeding years of her long life. Mrs. QUIDLEY was accorded an honor rare on Hatteras Island when as a mark of respect, Group Commander, under the command of BM3C, Elton FARROW, whom she had brought into the world, act as pallbearers. The five sons she had raised followed their father into the service and the family devotion to the Coast Guard continues now into the third and fourth generations. Funeral services were held from the Methodist Church, of which she was a life-long member, and were conducted by the pastor, the Rev. Dan MEADOWS, assisted by the Rev. Aaron TYSON, pastor of St. Paul's Church at Avon. The church was crowded to the doors for the service despite the inclement weather. Interment was beside her husband in the family cemetery. Surviving children are Guy C. QUIDLEY of Buxton, Thomas D. QUIDLEY of Pamlico, David E. QUIDLEY of Camden, Mrs. Ersie G. WISE of Kinston; one step-son, Amasa G. QUIDLEY of Buxton; 28 grandchildren and 73 great-grandchildren. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 9, 1955; pg. 1)


Mr. & Mrs. W.C. CAHOON and children of Washington, D.C., visited her mother, Mrs. Nat CREDLE during Labor Day.

Miss Jean WOODLEY attended the funeral of her grandmother, Mrs. Lida Kemp WALKER, in Columbia Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. John Madison BERRY and daughter of South Norfolk, visited their parents during the Labor Day holidays. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 9, 1955; pg. 4)


Mrs. R.S. WAHAB has returned from a visit with her father, J.N. EDWARDS, of Belhaven.

Mrs. Kelly O'NEAL is visiting her son, Stuart, in Southhampton, Pa.

Mr. and Mrs. Wallace DUBLE of Long Branch, N.J. are visiting her father, Arthur O'NEAL and Mrs. O'NEAL. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 9, 1955; pg. 7)


Mr. and Mrs. Frank GIBBS have returned from Port de Posit, Md., where they visited their daughter and son-in-law, C.G.M and Mrs. Roy Starr COX.

Mr. and Mrs. M.C. McKINNEY, SR. attended a family reunion at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Tom HOWARD in new Holland. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 9, 1955; pg. 7)


Danny GARRISH, John LYNN and Mrs. Tressie HOWARD left for Norfolk on Sunday morning. Word was received here last week that Mrs. HOWARD's son, Cantwell, had been injured by an automobile and was hospitalized in Norfolk. She will visit him and also her daughter, Mrs. Lorena WILLIAMS.

George SIMPSON is back home after a long visit with his son, Marvin, in Norfolk.

The population of Ocracoke was increased by three during August. Mr. & Mrs. Earl GASKINS announce the birth of a daughter, Ethel Marlene on August 16; Mr. & Mrs. Owen GASKILL announce the birth of a son, Benjamin Monroe on August 21; and Mr. & Mrs. Fowler O'NEAL announce the birth of a son, Robert Fowler, Jr. on August 22. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 16, 1955; pg. 2)


George L. WATSON (photo), son of Mr. & Mrs. W.W. WATSON of Lake Landing, recently received an oak leaf, pinned on his collar by his commanding officer, Lt. Col. Southgate JONES, JR.  Major WATSON is Plans and Training Officer for the Second Battalion of the 321st Infantry Regiment located in Durham. He was promoted from the rank of Captain to the rank of Major upon his return with the Army reserve Battalion from annual summer training at Fort Jackson, S.C. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 16, 1955; pg. 2)


Mrs. Lloyd WILLIAMS and Mrs. Odia WILLIAMS visited their sister, Mrs. Carroll WILLIAMS near Swan Quarter.

Mr. & Mrs. Robert Lee MIDYETTE of Leland are visiting his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Tom MIDYETTE.

Kenneth GRAY, Mr. and Mrs. Archie CARAWAN, Mr. and Mrs. Odia WILLIAMS attended the funeral of Staton CLAYTON at Mt. Olive Christian Church.

Mrs. Dallas WILLIAMS is spending the winter in Portsmouth with her children, Wilbur WILLIAMS and Mrs. Rufus PITTMAN.

Mrs. W.G. EARLEY and Mrs. A.R. BAUM of Norfolk, visited their parents, Mr. & Mrs. Edgar O'NEAL, and tool Mr. O'NEAL to Washington Sunday to Fowle Memorial Hospital. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 16, 1955; pg. 4)


Mr. Murry MANN, Richard and Betty MANN motored to Greenville. Miss MANN entered E.C.C.

Billy ROBERTS, recently out of the service in the Army, visited his parents, Mr. & Mrs. G.I. ROBERTS. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 16, 1955; pg. 5)


Miss Rosetta SPENCER (photo) of Swan Quarter, a dental hygienist major at the University of N.C., has been awarded a scholarship for the year 1955-56 and, if she so desires, for three more years. Miss SPENCER, the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Branch SPENCER of Swan Quarter, was a student at Queens College in Charlotte during the summer. During orientation week at the University, she served as a counselor under the guidance of Sara Alice JACKSON of Lumberton. She has also been appointed treasurer of her class. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 16, 1955; pg. 5)


Mrs. Addie GIBBS is visiting her daughter, Mrs. Lester WILLIS, at Morehead City.

Mr. & Mrs. Leonard PUGH visited their daughter, Mr. & Mrs. Marshall WHITEHURST of Norfolk. Mr. PUGH will work in the Portsmouth Navy Yard.

Alex MASON and Mrs. Etha PAYNE visited their invalid sister, Mrs. Marvin HOOPER, at Stumpy Point. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 16, 1955; pg. 5)


Mr. & Mrs. A.G. PAUL of Rocky Mount spent the week-end here. They were accompanied home by their nephew, Bobby GIBBS.

Miss Bettie SWINDELL and Miss Janie SELBY went to Newport News, Va. to meet Miss SWINDELL's mother, Mrs. Sallie SWINDELL, returning from Baltimore where she spent the past week with her daughter, Miss Alma SWINDELL. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 16, 1955; pg. 5)


Mrs. Milton TAYLOR of Norfolk visited her mother, Mrs. H.B. HART.

Cliff BELL has returned from a visit with his brother, Dr. B.I. BELL, of Williamsburg, Va.

Mr. & Mrs. Harry DAVIS of Norfolk visited her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Marcus CARAWAN. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 16, 1955; pg. 8)


Mrs. Stanley WAHAB of Ocracoke is visiting her father, J.N. EDWARDS. Mr. EDWARDS' 88th birthday fell on Friday and Mrs. WAHAB was hostess at a family dinner on Sunday to celebrate the occasion. Out-of-town members of the family here for the day were: Mr. & Mrs. Wahab EDWARDS and daughters Jean and Becky of Rocky Mount, Mrs. P.W. RICHARDSON of Elberon, Va. and Miss Eleanor POND of Wakefield, Va. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 23, 1955; pg. 2)


Mrs. Mildred GUTHRIE has returned to Smithfield after visiting her mother, Mrs. Florence GASKILL. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 23, 1955; pg. 3)


Schofield Barracks, Hawaii-Army PFC Joseph B. CAHOON, son of Mr. & Mrs. Closs E. CAHOON of Engelhard, recently helped celebrate the 94th birthday of his unite, the 14th Infantry regiment in Hawaii. Now part of the 25th Division, the regiment's history includes the Civil and Mexican Wars, the Philippines Insurrection, the Boxer rebellion, both World Wars, and the Korean Conflict. Private First Class CAHOON is a rifleman with Company B of the Division's 14th Infantry regiment. He completed basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C. and arrived in Hawaii last April. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 23, 1955; pg. 5)


Mrs. D.W. SEARS, Sarah and Janet of Fairfield, visited Mrs. Ethel GIBBS.

Mr. & Mrs. John BLAKE and son John Wesley of Portsmouth, spent the week-end with B.C. JENNETTE. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 23, 1955; pg. 6)


Mrs. E.M. FREDERICK and daughter are visiting her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Matthew BLAKE. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 23, 1955; pg. 7)


John M. SMITH, 80 years old, retired mill-hand of West Belhaven, says he feels sure he is the true inventor of the airplane, and that he built such a plane before he was 18 years old and during the administration of President CLEVELAND in the 90's. "At that time I was working around a sawmill," Mr. SMITH says, "and I had little money so I could not get anywhere with it. If I had had enough money to buy me a motor, even a little one like they now use on bicycles, I know I could have made it fly. But they got it away from me, some men from New York by the name of CURREN & HOUZEN. They came into Pantego and stopped at Walter CLARK's house which he ran near the railroad station. They looked over my model and they told me it wouldn't work because the propeller was on the front end. That is the way now with most airplanes. Some of the folks around here told me later that they believed these men had been sent down by the Wright brothers, but I do not say so. I have no reason to believe so. But somebody did get my plane from me. But I can prove by Jay BISHOP and other good men in Belhaven that I had such a plane. Why I even wrote to President Cleveland about it, but he didn't answer my letter. However, a man named George GASKINS who used to run on a boat told me he had hung around the White House and heard President CLEVELAND laughed about it, and we North Carolina folks were crazy to think we could fly." Mr. SMITH is jolly and healthy looking. He lives happily with his wife, who was the former Annie May MIDGETT of Engelhard. They have three sons, Capt. Clyde SMITH of Port Arthur, Texas, and Roland and Norman SMITH of Plymouth, employed on a tug boat. He says he was born march 11, 1875 at what was known as Pantego Swamp, but now called Wilkinson Station. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 23, 1955; pg. 8)


Virginia's Café on the waterfront in Swan Quarter was entered during Friday night. Mrs. Odell WILLIAMS, operator, reported that a small amount of cash was taken from the cash register and the only merchandise missing was cigarettes. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 23, 1955; pg. 8)


Capt. Marvin HOWARD (photo), commanding the hopper-dredge "Chester Harding" down in Lake Maracaiba, Venezuela, is showing signs of homesickness for his native Ocracoke, Lured last June from his quiet life of retirement in his native Ocracoke by an urgent call to captain the dredge and perhaps too by the paycheck offered. Capt. HOWARD took a temporary leave of absence and now after 3 months, he wishes he was back at Ocracoke with his church, his Sunday School, his PTA, his Boy Scouts, the Civic Club, and last by not least, his wife. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 30, 1955; pg. 1)


William Jacob SPENCER, infant son of Mr. & Mrs. Bill SPENCER, became seriously ill on Saturday night necessitating calling the doctor from Buxton. On Sunday they took the baby to the Elizabeth City hospital. A telephone report Monday said that the child's condition was improving.

Mr. & Mrs. R.S. WAHAB have returned from Belhaven. They went there to be with Mrs. WAHAB's father, J.N. EDWARDS, on his birthday. They remained there through Hurricane Ione, which was more felt there than here.

Jesse GARRISH and son, Danny, suffered attacks of food poisoning last week and were hustled off to Sea Level Hospital.

Mr. & Mrs. Lawrence O. SIMPSON announce the birth of a son, Lawrence, Jr., on September 18 at Morehead City hospital. (The Coastland Times - Friday, September 30, 1955; pg. 5)


The death of Mrs. Clara Mason HOOPER Monday night, removes from the community one of its best loved citizens. She had been a faithful servant of her church and community. She was 72 years old, the wife of E. Marvin HOOPER, a well-known merchant. She left three daughters: Mrs. Calvin WATSON, and Mrs. Allen OSBORNE of Norfolk and Mrs. Earl MEEKINS of Winfall; three brothers: W.T. MASON of Rocky Mount, Alex MASON of Gulrock, and Roscoe MASON of Norfolk; two sisters: Mrs. Fran CREDLE of Bath and Mrs. Warren PAYNE of Gulrock; 5 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren. Mrs. MASON was born at Gulrock, the daughter of Christopher and Clara Midgett MASON. She died after a long illness at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Earl MEEKINS, in Winfall. She was a member of the Stumpy Point Methodist Church where the funeral services were conducted Wednesday at 2 p.m. (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 7, 1955; pg. 1)


Miss Dorinda BERRY and Mrs. Richard GIBBS of Raleigh, spent the week-end with their parents, Mr. & Mrs. J.G. BERRY.

Jimmy SPENCER who is employed in Norfolk visited his mother, Mrs. Janie Spencer GIBBS. Mrs. GIBBS, who recently returned from Norfolk General Hospital, is improving.

Mr. & Mrs. Harry JARVIS and their daughter, Esta Pearl, and Mr. & Mrs. Glenn JARVIS spent Sunday in Ransomville.

Harvey STOKESBERRY of Plymouth and Nelva BERRY, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Fred BERRY of Engelhard, were married Sunday at 9 a.m. at the Christian Church with Rev. A.W. HUFFMAN officiating. Wedding music was played by the bride's cousin, Miss Alice Fay ETHERIDGE. Attending the ceremony from out of town were: Mr. & Mrs. Sonny TERRY and daughter of Portsmouth, Ray EDENGER of Norfolk, Mrs. John McKINNEY of Elizabeth City, Mr. & Mrs. STOKESBERRY, SR. and children of Plymouth, Alice Fay ETHERIDGE and Max HODGES, JR. of E.C.C. in Greenville, Dorinda BERRY and Mrs. Richard GIBBS of Raleigh. A cake cutting was given at the home of Mr. & Mrs. T.J. ETHERIDGE Saturday night. (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 7, 1955; pg. 3)


Mr. & Mrs. Henry WILDER have come to Ocracoke from Norfolk and are with her mother, Mrs. Eleanor BURRUS.

Mrs. Helena FULCHER suffered a stroke of paralysis about a week ago and is in serious condition. Her son, Lloyd FULCHER, was called home to be with her. (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 7, 1955; pg. 7)


On Thursday night of last week, the front door of W.H. SPENCER's Service Station at Scranton was pried open. In addition to a large quantity of merchandise, $238 in cash was reported missing. Item taken included flour, sugar, milk, tobacco, hose, socks and canned goods. The second robbery occurred on Friday night when the latch was cut off the shop of J.M. LONG near Engelhard. On this occasion the robbers took a heavy duty torch and welder, a tool box of plumbing tools, and a roll of copper wire. Little evidence as to the identity of the thieves has been found. (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 21, 1955; pg. 1)


Mr. & Mrs. J.L. GARRISH announce the birth of a daughter, Wanda Lee, on October 7th at Morehead City Hospital.

Mr. & Mrs. Powers GARRISH announce the birth of a son, Romaine Smith, on October 12th at Sea Level Hospital.

Mrs. Gladys WILLIAMS is visiting her daughter, Mrs. Isabel CULLIFER and family at Virginia Beach. (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 21, 1955; pg. 2)


Mr. & Mrs. Francis COCKS and daughter Dawn of Yorktown, Va., Mr. & Mrs. Bill HARRIS of Chapel Hill, spent the week-end with Mrs. Lyda HARRIS.

Mrs. Mildred COX and son Thomas, Jr. of Elizabeth City, visited her parents, Mr. & Mrs. S.D. SPENCER.

Ralph ROPER spent a week in Durham and Pilot Mountain where he visited his daughter, Mrs. Henry HARDING.

Mrs. Glenn JARVIS spent Thursday in Greenville. She was accompanied by her mother, Mrs. Whitfield WILLIAMS of Swan Quarter.

B.C. SPENCER of Norfolk spent the week-end with his mother, Mrs. Eva SPENCER. (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 21, 1955; pg. 2)


Bobby SWINDELL of E.C.C. in Greenville visited his parents, Mr. & Mrs. C.M. SWINDELL.

Miss Betty MANN of E.C.C. in Greenville visited her mother, Mrs. Murry MANN.

Mr. & Mrs. J.B. SPENCER and Peggy of Bridgeton, N.J. are visiting her brother-in-law and sister, Mr. & Mrs. T.D. BLAKE. (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 21, 1955; pg. 2)


Naval Aviation Cadet Andrew A. HOOKER (photo), son of Mrs. Lillie B. SWINDELL of Engelhard, qualified as a carrier pilot after six landings aboard the light aircraft carrier, USS Saipan, in the Gulf of Mexico. He attended NCSC before entering the Naval Cadet Program. The landings completed the gunnery and carrier qualifications phase of his flight training. He is now undergoing instrument training at the Corry Field Naval Auxiliary Air Station here. (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 21, 1955; pg. 3)


Funeral services for Loris Jean DAUGHERTY, infant daughter of Mr. & Mr. Dix DAUGHERTY of Raleigh, were held at the home of her grandparents, Mr. & Mrs. E.S. TOLSON, on Thursday with Rev. W.R. HALE officiating. The baby died on October 19th at Rex Hospital in Raleigh after long invalidism. Mr. & Mrs. TOLSON returned to the mainland on Friday with their daughter and son-in-law.

Mr. & Mrs. Earl O'NEAL of Philadelphia, have been visiting his sister, Mrs. R.W. HOWARD, and other relatives here.

Mrs. R.A. CONDGON of Bridgton, N.J. recently visited at the home of her aunt, Mrs. Laura BRAGG. While here she also visited her brother, Stacy BRAGG.

Friends of Mrs. Annie FULCHER will regret to learn that she is in Sea Level Hospital. She was taken there Monday by helicopter suffering from a heart aliment.

Mr. & Mrs. Jules GARRISH announce the birth of a son, Franklin Bernard, on October 16th.

Lum GASKILL came home Friday, having been called to Morehead City because of the illness at the hospital there of his infant daughter. (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 28, 1955; pg. 2)


It is with a feeling of sadness that we, the members of the Woman's Society of Christian Service of Stumpy Point Methodist Church, record the death of Mrs. Caddie Mason HOOPER. She was a charter member of the WSCS and also a life member. For many years she was very active in all phases of church work and community activities-especially enjoying visiting the sick and shut-ins. She had held and efficiently filled many of the offices of her society. For the past 8 years though confined to her bed and wheelchair, her interest in the work of the church did not lessen and she continued to be an inspiration to her family and friends. We shall miss her and cherish her memory, but the influence of her life will continue. She is survived by her husband, E. Marvin HOOPER of Stumpy Point and Winfall; three daughters: Mrs. Calvin WATSON and Mrs. Allen OSBORNE of Norfolk, and Mrs. Earl MEEKINS of Winfall; 5 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren; and several brothers and sisters. Therefore, be it resolved that a copy of this tribute be sent to her husband, to each daughter, to the North Carolina Christian Advocate, The Coastland Times, also that it be recorded in the record of the WSCS. (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 28, 1955; pg. 6)


Out-of-town people who attended the funeral rites for Miss Janie GUTHRIE held last Friday were: Mr. & Mrs. Cecile GUTHRIE, the George CREEF's and daughter Sheila, Mrs. Mary GIBBS, and the Leo MIDGETT's, all of Manteo; the Hubert GUTHRIE's and Mrs. Annie CUDWORTH of Wanchese; Mrs. Rose GUTHRIE, Rosiland GUTHRIE and the Joseph CREDLE's, all of Norfolk; W.B. MIDGETT and Mrs. Mildred MANN of Washington; Mrs. Mildred GUTHRIE of Smithfield; the Douglas GUTHRIE's of S.C.; Herman GIBBS of Manns Harbor; and the Jim RUE's of Fairfield. (The Coastland Times - Friday, November 4, 1955; pg. 2)


Pfc. Neill A. ROBERTS, son of Mr. & Mrs. G.L. ROBERTS of Fairfield, recently graduated from the Army's European Signal School in Germany. He entered the Army in September 1954, completed basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C., and arrived overseas last February. The 23 year old soldier is a former student of U.N.C. (The Coastland Times - Friday, November 4, 1955; pg. 2)


Hilton SIMPSON, nephew of Stacy HOWARD, and a party from Berlin, Md. have been here for several day fishing with Capt. HOWARD.

Mr. & Mrs. Elisha ESHAM were called to his father's home at Bishop, Md. last week because of the death by automobile accident of Mr. ESHAM's aunt and uncle, Mr. & Mrs. William HUDSON.

Mr. & Mrs. H.J. WILLIAMS have enjoyed a visit recently from their son, James Thomas WILLIAMS of Durham, and daughter, Mrs. Robert PEYTON and Mr. PEYTON of Richmond, Va. (The Coastland Times - Friday, November 4, 1955; pg. 7)


Martha Jane MIDGETT of Engelhard is one of 176 Duke University Women's College students who have been pledged by the 13 national social sororities at Duke. Miss MIDGETT pledged Delta Gamma. She is the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. P.D. MIDGETT, JR. of Engelhard. (The Coastland Times - Friday, November 11, 1955; pg. 2)


Mrs. Iva O'NEAL and son Ikey D., and Mrs. Ethel GASKINS are visiting in Wilmington, Delaware with Mr. & Mrs. David STYRON and Belinda. While there they will also have the opportunity to see Mrs. O'NEAL's other daughter, Mrs. Lucy GASKINS and the grandchildren who had come down from Portland, Maine to visit the STYRON's. Mrs. Mame HOWARD accompanied them as far as Norfolk where she will visit her daughter, Mrs. OVERTON and family.

Al Smith GARRISH is out of the hospital and has returned to the Coast Guard Base at new London, Conn.

Mrs. Zion FOSTER is spending the next 2-3 months in Beaufort with Mrs. Mary MIDGETTE. Joyce MIDGETTE is also visiting her grandmother, Mrs. Mary MIDGETTE.

Mr. & Mrs. Myron GARRISH and daughter Susan, have returned to Norfolk after a visit with his mother, Mrs. Thurston GASKILL and Capt. GASKILL. (The Coastland Times - Friday, November 11, 1955; pg. 3)


Miss Leona CLARK has returned to her home in Swan Quarter after visiting her niece, Mrs. Fannie WATSON. (The Coastland Times - Friday, November 11, 1955; pg. 8)


Among the out-of-town relatives here for the funeral of Mrs. Henry C. CUTRELL were: Mr. & Mrs. Walter JONES of Portsmouth; Mr. & Mrs. Delbert CUTRELL and Bobby D. SWINDELL of Norfolk; Mr. & Mrs. Jack KERR of Kinston; Mr. & Mrs. Gilbert BARRINGTON and children of Elizabeth City.

Mr. & Mrs. R.W. JONES, JR. of New Bern and Billy CUTRELL of Norfolk were called home by the illness and death of their mother. (The Coastland Times - Friday, November 25, 1955; pg. 3)


Hyde County will be represented in the 1955-56 edition of "Who's Who in American Universities" by two sisters at East Carolina College in Greenville. Jane CREDLE and Laura CREDLE, daughters of Mrs. Eunice CREDLE of New Holland [the rest of this article was too dim to read]. (The Coastland Times - Friday, November 25, 1955; pg. 6)


Mr. & Mrs. Jamie STYRON are visiting their daughter, Mrs. James HART and family, in Richmond, Va.

Mrs. Maude FULCHER has returned from Greenville. Her grandson, Mike RIDDICK, visited her during Thanksgiving. (The Coastland Times - Friday, December 2, 1955; pg. 2)


Mr. & Mrs. Paul CARTER and children Toni and Karen of Havelock, spent the holidays with Mr. & Mrs. R.S. SPENCER.

Henry HARDING has returned to his home in Pilot Mountain after spending the past week with his mother-in-law, Mrs. R.L. ROPER. (The Coastland Times - Friday, December 2, 1955; pg. 2)


Those from Tyrrell attending the funeral of Mrs. Florence GASKILL in Fairfield on Sunday were: Mr. & Mrs. J.D. SELBY, Miss Jessie GODWIN, Thomas GODWIN, Miss Myrtle GODWIN, and Ralph and Roy SMITH. (The Coastland Times - Friday, December 16, 1955; pg. 2)


Army Cpl. Joseph B. CAHOON, 21, son of Closs E. CAHOON of Engelhard, recently graduated from the 25th Infantry Division's Non-Commissioned Officer Academy in Hawaii. A squad leader in Company B of the Division's 14th regiment, he received instruction in leadership of units, map reading and other military subjects. Cahoon, a 1953 graduate of Engelhard High School, entered the Army in November 1954 and completed basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C. (The Coastland Times - Friday, December 23, 1955; pg. 3)


P.D. MIDGETT, III (photo) of Engelhard, has decided to answer the call to enter the ministry and plans to enter the Duke School of religion in February. Mr. MIDGETT is an outstanding community leader in Engelhard and is a certified lay speaker in the Methodist Church. A graduate of Duke University, he has been associated with his father, P.D. MIDGETT, JR., in operating the Pamlico Power and Light Company in Engelhard for several years. (The Coastland Times - Friday, December 23, 1955; pg. 10)


Return to Hyde County News

Return to Hyde County Home Page