Miscellaneous Newspaper Articles
for Hyde Co., NC
(Jan. 1956 - 1992)


Friends of Miss Frances BOWLEY, primary teacher here, will sympathize with her in the death on Christmas Day of her sister, Mrs. C.J. ALDRICH of Haworth, N.J.

Mrs. Van Henry O'NEAL and children have been visiting her sister, Mrs. Aldine RUSH of Beaufort.

Dr. & Mrs. William WILLIS of New Bern, flew to the Island due to illness in the family of Mr. & Mrs. John MIDGETT.

Mr. & Mrs. Robert PRESTON were called to Fairmont, West Virginia in December because of the death of his mother, Mrs. W.F. PRESTON. She is survived by 9 children and 14 grandchildren. (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 6, 1956; pg. 2)


Mr. & Mrs. Maynard S. JOHNSON, now residing in Tokyo, Japan, announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss Eleanor Jane JOHNSON, to Frank Price CUTHRELL, son of Mr. & Mrs. John L. CUTHRELL of Aurora, N.C. Miss JOHNSON, a student at East Carolina College in Greenville, formerly attended school at Engelhard and Aurora, and was graduated from an Army dependant high school in Tokyo, Japan The JOHNSON's lived at new Holland a number of years ago while Mr. JOHNSON was connected with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Mr. CUTHRELL is a graduate of Aurora High School and is a student at Wilmington College. (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 6, 1956; pg. 4)


In a double-ring ceremony the marriage of Miss Gayle JONES, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Cecil O. JONES of Belhaven, and George RIDDICK, JR., son of Mr. & Mrs. George RIDDICK of Belhaven, was solemnized December 27 at 4:15 p.m. at the home of Mr. & Mrs. James E. GIBBS, aunt of the bride, in Swan Quarter. The Rev. Frank LEGGETT, JR., minister of the Belhaven Christian Church, officiated at the candlelight ceremony which was attended only by members of the family. Music was presented by Miss Sue HARRIS, pianist, of Belhaven. After the ceremony Mrs. GIBBS honored the couple and guest with an informal reception. The bride attended East Carolina College and is now employed with the Farmers Supply in Belhaven. The groom also attended East Carolina College and is now in the Navy and at present is stationed in Norfolk. (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 6, 1956; pg. 7)


Joseph PUGH, JR., U.S.N, spent the week-end with his parents. He is recovering nicely from the broken jaw received 10 weeks ago aboard ship while on duty.

Edwin PAYNE, U.S.N., and wife Margaret, visited his parents, the Warren PAYNE's. Their daughter, Judy, will return to school at Engelhard while staying with her grandparents. (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 20, 1956; pg. 3)


Born to Mr. & Mrs. Hilton L. MEEKINS, a son H.L., JR., on Friday, January 13 at Pungo District Hospital in Belhaven. He weighed 6 pounds and 4 ounces. This is the third child and first son. Mrs. MEEKINS is the former Doris GIBBS of Engelhard. (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 20, 1956; pg. 3)


Mr. & Mrs. Junius Fulcher OVERTON of Norfolk, Va. announce the engagement of their daughter, Margaret Frances OVERTON to Danny Woolard GARRISH, son of Mr. & Mrs. Jesse W. GARRISH of Ocracoke. The wedding is to be in March. (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 20, 1956; pg. 6)


Mrs. ___ MAYS has returned to her home in Winterville after visiting her mother, Mrs. Eleanor CREDLE, who has been sick.

Mr. & Mrs. M.L. CARAWAN visited their son-in-law and daughter, Mr. & Mrs. Leo BISHOP, in Portsmouth.

Mr. & Mrs. Jack EVERETTE and children of Kinston, visited her parents, Mr. & Mrs. C.B. JENNETTE.

Mr. & Mrs. Leland CARAWAN and Mrs. John SWINDELL attended the funeral of Robert BENSON in Pantego on Saturday.

Miss Monna Lou CARAWAN of Tarboro visited her parents, Mr. & Mrs. M.O. CARAWAN during the week-end.

Mrs. Earl SPENCER and sons left Sunday for Norfolk; from there they went to Marchfield, California where Captain SPENCER is stationed. Claude SPENCER went as far as Norfolk with them. (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 20, 1956; pg. 6)


Work is scheduled to begin shortly on a building for the Air Force at Engelhard according to representatives of the Corps of Army Engineers in Wilmington. This facility is known as a "gap filler" and has to do with the radar installations used by the armed forces. The project will cost about $40,000 and is to be located on the Middletown Highway a short distance from Engelhard. The contractors are Miller Building Corp. of Wilmington. (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 27, 1956; pg. 1)


Mr. & Mrs. T.W. HOWARD arrived home recently after a month's visit with their son, Lafayette HOWARD and family, of Hadden Heights, N.J.

Mr. & Mrs. C.F. BOYETTE arrived home on Saturday after a month's vacation, part of which was spent with their son, C.F. JR., in Alabama, and part with their daughter, Mrs. Allen SCARBOROUGH, in New Jersey.

Mr. & Mrs. Donald O'NEAL of Wilmington, N.C. announce the birth of a daughter, Gloria Ann, January 7th. Mr. O'NEAL's mother, Mrs. Katie O'NEAL, has been visiting them in Wilmington.

Mrs. Helen ROBINSON of Ocean City, Md. is visiting her mother, Mrs. Sara J. JACKSON.

William MIDGETT, USCG, has been transferred from the Oregon Inlet Station to the 83-footer here at Ocracoke. Mrs. MIDGETT and the children are living here. (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 27, 1956; pg. 3)


Army 2nd Lt. William S. BURRUS (photo), age 24, son of Wm. S. BURRUS of Engelhard, recently graduated from the Infantry School's basic Infantry Officer's course at Ft. Benning, Ga. Lt. BURRUS, a 1955 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, was a salesman in an Engelhard store before entering the Army in 1948. (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 27, 1956; pg. 5)


Mr. & Mrs. N.B. HUDSON and children Bess, Weldon, and Norman of Dunn, N.C., spent Sunday with their daughter, Mrs. M.C. HOLLAND.

Mr. & Mrs. Bill HAMITT of Mt. Gilead spent the week-end with her parents, Mr. & Mrs. H.L. ROPER.

Mr. & Mrs. Sullivan GIBBS and children spent the week here due to the death of his father, Murl GIBBS.

W.H. COX went to Illinois to visit Mrs. COX's parents. His brother, Walter Carr COX, accompanied him. Mrs. COX will return home after spending some time here. (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 27, 1956; pg. 6)


Essex COLLINS, listed as a resident of Engelhard, who paid $1 for a ticket to the dance of American Post #26 near Manteo Saturday night, was the winner of the $2400 1956 Chevrolet Sedan awarded by the post at the close of the dance. The post has had some difficulty in locating the winner who while giving his address as Engelhard is said to be living in New York. Legion officials said this week unless he come up soon to demand the prize, it may be declared void. A number of tickets were sold to Negroes to participate in the lottery. One of the post members, John JAMBURA of Manns Harbor, on of the top sellers of tickets, sold some 300 and among these was the ticket sold to COLLINS. COLLINS, it appears has not lived in Engelhard for a long time, but gave the address of a friend. It was not necessary to be present to win. (The Coastland Times - Friday, February 3, 1956; pg. 1)


Mr. & Mrs. Gene LEE of Merry Hill have moved to Engelhard and are at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Ernest LEE.

Mr. & Mrs. Curtis HOWARD and children of New Holland are visiting her parents, the M.C. McKINNEY's. (The Coastland Times - Friday, February 3, 1956; pg. 3)


Private Thomas Benjamin BLAKE of Fairfield recently completed the welding course at the Ordnance Automotive School Atlantic General Depot, Atlantic, Georgia. Private BLAKE, who is the son of Mr. & Mrs. T.D. BLAKE of Fairfield, is one of the more than 70,000 men from all over the world who have been trained specialists in the Ordnance School since it's inception in 1941. Private BLAKE is a 1955 graduate of Swan Quarter High School. (The Coastland Times - Friday, February 3, 1956; pg. 7)


Swan Quarter - Hyde County authorities continued to investigate the mysterious circumstances that resulted in the weekend death of an Engelhard Negro woman. Angenora SPENCER, estranged wife of Otis SPENCER, was found bound north of Engelhard on the Engelhard-Fairfield road early Saturday morning. She died Sunday morning on the Pungo District Hospital in Belhaven. The woman was found by Thurman EVANS of near Swan Quarter about 5:30 in the morning. Mr. EVANS was enroute to Engelhard with films for the local theater when he saw the body. He did not stop to investigate but called Sheriff Charlie CAHOON on his arrival in Engelhard. Mr. CAHOON said this morning that the woman's legs were bound to her head by a skirt. She was only partly clothed and temperatures were near the freezing mark. She had suffered a blow over the left ear, but x-rays revealed no fractures. No arrests have been made. Officers are continuing their investigation. Funeral arrangements are incomplete. (Washington Daily News - March 25, 1956) [Submitted by Merlin S. BERRY of Gambrills, Md.]


The Coastland Times - Friday, May 10, 1957; pg. 2 The Coastland Times - Tuesday, April 27, 1999; pg. 6B


Mr. and Mrs. Eugene CREDLE were called to Belhaven Friday due to the illness of their daughter, Mrs. Glover CARTER.
Mrs. Eugene MIDYETTE was called to South Creek Thursday due to the double drownings of her nephews.
Mr. and Mrs. B.G. CARAWAN of Ohio are visiting his uncle, D.D. SPENCER.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 4, 1958; pg. 6)


Mrs. Marie Sears BELL began work Monday July 14th as Deputy Clerk of Superior Court of Vance County.  She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D.W. SEARS of Fairfield and is a 1950 graduate of Fairfield High School and 1951 graduate of Henderson Business College of Henderson.  On leaving college she worked as a secretary in the home office of Rose's Store until August 1952 resigning to be bookkeeper for a trucking company in Henderson until her recent appointment.  She was married on July 23, 1955 to Hugh F. BELL, JR. of Wilmington.  They make their home in Henderson where Mr. BELL operates a marina.  She is a granddaughter of Mrs. Ethyl GIBBS of Scranton and a niece of Mrs. M.L. WINDLEY of Belhaven.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 25, 1958; pg. 4)

Rev. Frank FORTESCUE, formerly postmaster of Scranton in Hyde County, is a newcomer in the ministry, being pastor of Methodist churches in Chowan and Perquimans counties.  He also holds the distinction of being a freshman in the Baptist Chowan College at Murfreesboro.  His many friends in this area will be interested in the following article about him in the Ahoskie Herald written by John D. McREADY of Chowan College:  Californians, who like to boast of their state, were telling sometime ago of one of their citizens who has probably hung up a record in adult education.  He graduated from college at the age of 100.  North Carolina may have difficulty in matching that but many of our middle-aged men and women are taking advantage of the opportunity to get a diploma or degree.  On of these is Chowan College's grandfather freshman, the Rev. Frank W. FORTESCUE, Methodist minister and pastor of 4 churches.  Born on a farm in Hyde County in 1909, he graduated from the Sladesville High School 30 years ago.  About that time his father's health began to fail and an elder brother was entering Duke Medical School, so the burden of the farm--and of the approaching depression--fell on the younger son.  Life was hard for ten years.  In 1939 Frank, by that time being married with four children, only had $500 to live on but the next year times got better.  In 1946 the Hyde County farmer laid down the plow and became postmaster at the village of Scranton.  His new position gave him a chance to study and to meet people--two things he now regards as providential.  His mother, who all along was his counselor, had taught for years the adult Bible Class in the Epworth Methodist Church at Sladesville.  When failing health compelled her to give up the class, the members persuaded her son to take it.  Less than 3 months later his mother died.  'The hardest task I ever had was to teach that class on the Sunday after we laid her body away in the cemetery beside the little church', he said.  Four years later the Sunday School made him superintendent.  This charge brought him rest from the labor of teaching, but brought something else too--a real heartache.  He missed the joy of dealing with the great themes of the Bible.  Then one day toward the end of winter 1955, his pastor made a request--that he take part in the conferencewide "No Silent Pulpit" campaign which the Methodists were about to put on in the weeks leading up to Easter.  He felt unprepared and unworthy, but he agreed.  As he then spoke in some church each Sunday of the campaign, Frank FORTESCUE began to be conscious of a call to the ministry.  Last July he laid aside the postal service for the pulpit.  He now has a four-church filed near Hertford, his charges being Anderson, Bethany, Evans, and Center Hill.  The senior member of the freshman class who commutes from his home at Tyner, has had an arduous program from the past nine months and he will have an equally strenuous time when his second and final year at Chowan begins in September but he hopes to hold out.  Meanwhile, a wife, four children, a daughter-in-law and two granddaughters will be eagerly awaiting the day when "Grandpa" gets his diploma.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 25, 1958; pg. 6)


The body of J.P. MACKEY, 32, an Engelhard negro employed for a long time at Stumpy Point, was found Monday when it came to surface following the activity of motorboats in the vicinity of the fish house of Alton BEST, the dead man's employer.  MACKEY worked for Mr. BEST.  He had been to Roanoke Island on the weekend and when he was not noticed at work on Monday morning, but this was not considered unusual.  However, his pants and shoes were found in the fish house where he slept.  When boats came in from fishing the body came to the surface.  The man is reported as unmarried.  Coroner Jim VANNOTE of Manteo said it appeared that he had come in during Sunday night and after taking off his pants and shoes had stepped out to the edge of the wharf and there had fallen overboard.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 8, 1958; pg. 1)


The married of Miss Evelyn WHEELER and Robert G. WISE was solemnized in a 2:30 formal ceremony Sunday, August 10, in the Swan Quarter Baptist Church with Rev. Leighton LEWIS officiating at the double ring ceremony.  The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.W. WHEELER of Swan Quarter and the bridegroom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Leland WISE of Stumpy Point.  The bride was given in marriage by her brother, Walter WHEELER.  Her matron of honor was Mrs. Ira WILLIAMS.  Leland WISE, father of the groom, was best man and ushers were Richard Lee MANN of Fairfield and Wahab CAHOON.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 15, 1958; pg. 4)


Burl S. BRINN, supply minister for Mt. Olive Church in Hyde County has accepted a call to serve as minister of the Church of Christ at Cambria, Va.  Mr. BRINN's former charges have been, as a student, at Gum neck and Pleasant Grove.  He organized a congregation at Manteo and served as minister for 2 years; he also served as minister for 17 months at Sweet Valley, Pa.  He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. J.S. BRINN of Swan Quarter.  He is a graduate of the class of 1940 of Swan Quarter High School and graduate of Roanoke Bible College of Elizabeth City.  Mr. BRINN is married to the former Miss Dora L. SAUNDERS of Willis Branch, West Virginia.  They have twin boys, Babern and Stephen.  Mr. and Mrs. BRINN will begin their new duties next week.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 15, 1958; pg. 9)

[Lengthy article, not here in its intirety]

For a consideration of two and one half million dollars, there has just been transferred near Engelhard in Hyde County a tract of land containing 73,494 acres and having on it 91,000,000 log feet of timber, constituting the biggest land and timber deal in the history of the county and which may bring spectacular development and activity to eastern Hyde.  This tract of land, lying northeast of Engelhard and binding the Dare County line between the Long Shoal and Alligator Rivers, was brought by William A. POWE of Hattiesburg, Mississippi and Havana, Cuba, and Joseph P. SMITH of Jackson, Mississippi and Greensboro, N.C.  A recent cruise of the property by timber estimators disclosed 91 million feet of merchantable timber, and arrangements have been made to market a million or more feet a month.  Two dragline crews and three caterpillars will be working steadily on the clearing job. Canals five feet wife and ten feet deep are being dug through the property for drainage.  The land is a part of the former Roper Lumber Co. holdings and was owned at the time of purchase by Sam BROADHEAD.  A loan of more than one million dollars has been negotiated on this property.  Here have been found cast stand of pine and cypress, juniper and gum, the like of which remain nowhere else in the 3 counties of Dare, Hyde and Tyrrell.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, August 22, 1958; pg. 1)


Mr. and mrs. William Swindell DUDLEY, JR. of Engelhard announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss LaRue DUDLEY to Everett CUNNINGHAM, son of Mrs. Maggie E. CUNNINGHAM and the late Joe E. CUNNINGHAM of Columbia, S.C.  A fall wedding is planned.  Miss DUDLEY is now employed at the Post Office in Nags Head.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 10, 1958; pg. 2)


Friedburg, Germany - Pvt. Alston G. HOPKINS, whose wife, Monna, lives in Swan Quarter, N.C., recently arrived in Germany and is now a member of the 3rd Armored Division.  HOPKINS, a radio and telephone operator in Headquarters Battery of the division's 27th Artillery, entered the Army March of this year and received basic training at Fort Hood, Texas.  The 23year old soldier is a 1953 graduate of Swan Quarter High School.  His father, William W. HOPKINS, also lives in Swan Quarter.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 17, 1958; pg. 6)


Sunday was a happy occasion for the "Spencer sisters" at the Hotel Engelhard.  Meeting together were the five matrons and a sister-in-law, Mrs. Johnnie SPENCER, the former Mary NEAL of Wilmington.  The sisters are: Mrs. Braxton (Leathe) WATSON, manager of the Engelhard Hotel, Mrs. Frank (Katherine) GIBBS, Mrs. J.H. (Edith Clair) JARVIS, all of Engelhard, Mrs. Pat (Ina) SIMMONS of Fairfield, and Mrs. Joe (Willie Mae) GRAHAM of Myrtle Beach, S.C.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, October 31, 1958; pg. 4)


NORFOLK - Industrialist Samuel G. JONES, SR. was indicted Tuesday on charges of evading more than $275,000 in federal income taxes.  The 65-year old president of the Berkley Machine Works and Foundry Co., was accused of falsifying income figures on individual and corporate tax returns for the years 1952, 1953 and 1954.  Best known for his vigorous and colorful campaign against daylight savings time here a decade ago, JONES married a German woman at Swan Quarter a year ago.  He lives in Princess Anne County near Lake Smith, and maintains two huge mansions at Ocracoke.  He is a native of Hyde County.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, November 7, 1958; pg. 8)

(The Coastland Times - Friday, November 21, 1958; pg. 1)


Mrs. Mary Neal SPENCER, 69, of Swan Quarter, died in the Martin General Hospital, Williamston, Tuesday morning.  Funeral services were held Wednesday at 3 p.m. at Soule Methodist Church conducted by the Rev. Robert BUNDY of Swan Quarter, the Rev. George HARRIS of Lake Landing, and the Rev. Bill DAVENPORT of Jamesville.  Burial will follow in Soule Cemetery.  Surviving are three daughters: Mrs. W.G. HARRIS of Swan Quarter, Mrs. Harry MARTIN of Jamesville and Miss Julia SPENCER of Wilmington; [two sons] Joe M. SPENCER of Wilmington and Warren G. SPENCER of El Paso, Texas; one brother, Luke NEAL of Engelhard; one sister, Miss Belle NEAL of Swan Quarter and Engelhard; and 8 grandchildren.  Pallbearers were Dennis SIMMONS of Fairfield, Horace GIBBS, Harold JARVIS, JR., Murl MARSHALL, Ben MIDYETTE, Royden NEAL and Allen BURRUS of Engelhard.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, November 21, 1958; pg. 5)


Ocracoke - Walter C. O'NEAL, JR., son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter C. O'NEAL of Ocracoke, was married on Tuesday, November 25th, in Lincoln, Nebraska to Miss Victoria Maud NUSS, daughter of Dr. Herman V. NUSS of Sutton and Mrs. Mildred R. NUSS.  The ceremony took place at St. Paul Methodist Church.  Both Mr. and Mrs. O'NEAL attended the University of Nebraska.  Mr. O'NEAL is in the Law School of the university.  They will be at home at 865 S. 30th St., Lincoln.  He is a graduate of Ocracoke High School and after graduation here served with the U.S. Marines in the Pacific area.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, December 19, 1958; pg. 4)


Born to Mr. and Mrs. Jimmy GIBBS, a daughter, Katherine Jean, at Beaufort Memorial Hospital in Washington.  Mrs. GIBBS is the former Lillian TUCKER.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, January 9, 1959; pg. 4)


Miss Deloris PLEDGER, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ira PLEDGER of Engelhard, was married to Bradley BERRY, son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl BERRY also of Engelhard, on Sunday morning at the Christian Church by the pastor, Rev. Frank WIBERIL.  Miss Linda Sue WILLIAMS was maid of honor and the bride's brother, Vernon PLEDGER, was best man.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, February 6, 1959; pg. 3)

(The Coastland Times - Friday, February 6, 1959; pg. 8)

(The Coastland Times - Friday, February 27, 1959; pg. 1)

(The Coastland Times - Friday, February 27, 1959; pg. 8)

(The Coastland Times - Friday, March 20, 1959; pg. 5)


Series of Wells to Depth of 2,000 Feet Undertaken; Drilling Now on Dave Holton Farm at Fairfield; Rare Marine Fossils Found 40 Feet Underground, Including Conch Shells, Revealing Former Ocean Floor Existed Far Beneath Today's Farms

    Working in two 12-hour shifts daily, a crew of drillers are busy exploring the earth to a depth of 2,000 feet in the Lake Mattamuskeet area, taking samples of their discoveries every 30 feet to be analyzed by the State Geologists Office in Raleigh.  Two wells have been driven, the first being lost at 1,600 feet, and the second was undertaken yesterday and reached 170 feet before noon.
    The project which is under the direction of the Taylor Exploration Co. of Houston, Texas, seeks to learn the secrets of the earth and if there are possibilities of oil in the area.  The job may require several months, as it contemplates going all around the rim of Lake Mattamuskeet which is 18 miles long and seven miles wide.
    This week's project is on the farm of Dave HOLTON of Edenton, who is a former member of the State Ports Commission and well-known political figure, who owns the old D.H. CARTER farm in the Fairfield community.
    In charge of this work is Bob EDWARDS of the South Hemisphere Oil Co., a retired Gulf Oil Co. executive now engaged on his won in the consulting field.  With him is Albert REYNOLDS of the Taylor Company.  The work is done by a portable rig operated by a crew of three experienced men.
    The men engaged at the work are currently living at Lindsay SADLER's Fairfield Motel, and the Gene Tunney Motel at Fairfield.  The work has been underway about two weeks.  Last week in the first well, they lost the electric log which is sent down with the drill to report the findings, and this loss is said to be equal to the cost of a new Cadillac.
    The drilling operation, located adjacent to the old Fairfield steamboat canal, is attracting many spectators.  This old canal, now abandoned, was for many years the commercial lifeline of the area.  Built as a private venture, it was maintained by the tolls paid by vessels transporting products and supplies for the Fairfield area.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, April 3, 1959; pg. 8)

(The Coastland Times - Friday, April 17, 1959; pg. 8)


Chas. L. BURRUS, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.P. BURRUS of Engelhard, is manager of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company store in Asheville.  He is a graduated of Engelhard High School, served 3 years in the Navy, then attended Elon College and received his A.B. degree in business administration and was employed by the Firestone Co. in Greensboro, receiving his basic training.  He is married to the former Fannie SUTTON of Burlington and they have two children, Patricia Lynne and Cherry Ann, ages 6 and 4 years.  They live in the Haw Creek section of Asheville.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, April 17, 1959; pg. 10)


David L. PATRICK died Saturday night at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Paul O'NEAL near Swan Quarter following a lengthy illness.  He was 84 years old.  Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 from the Scranton Christian Church with the Rev. Owen EMANUEL, pastor.  Burial was in the Bishop Cemetery at Scranton.  Surviving are five sons: Evie PATRICK of Rocky Mount, David, Carl and Leonard PATRICK, all of Baltimore, Md., and Clifton PATRICK of Schenectady, NY; two daughters: Mrs. Paul O'NEAL of Swan Quarter and Mrs. George MARKEN of Sacramento, California.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, May 15, 1959; pg. 11)


Mr. and Mrs. Mayhue SELBY of Engelhard celebrated thier 50th anniversary on Sunday of last week and were given a surprise dinner by their children at the home of their daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Keith CUTHRELL of the Nebraska community.  Guests included another daughter, Mrs David (Fannie) PEEBLES, Mr. PEEBLES and children, David and Kay of Raleigh, Maurice TOMILSON of the U.S. Army stationed at Fort Bragg, N.C., J.W. TOMILSON and host, Mr. and Mrs. CUTHRELL.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, May 15, 1959; pg. 11)


A prominent and beloved woman of Engelhard has passed away.  Mrs. Liston HARRIS, SR. died in the Beaufort County hospital in Washington Friday afternoon at 5:30 o'clock.  She was 75 years old.  Funeral services were held from the Engelhard Christian Church Sunday afternoon at 3:30 with the Rev. Frank WIBIRAL, pastor, assisted by the Rev. George HARRIS, Episcopal minister, and the Rev. Angus CAMERON, Methodist minister, officiating.  Burial followed in the Fulford Cemetery at Engelhard.  Mrs. HARRIS was the daughter of the late William and Sally CAHOON of Swan Quarter.  She was a member of the Engelhard Christian Church.  Surviving are her husband; five daughters: Mrs. Cecil L. GIBBS of Omaha, Nebraska, Mrs. Emmett CAHOON of Swan Quarter, Mrs. Francis CREDLE of New Holland and Mrs. Wilbur GIBBS and Mrs. Elwood MIDGETT of Engelhard; two sons: Liston HARRIS, JR., of Swan Quarter and Carl HARRIS of Engelhard; 19 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Solon GIBBS of Norfolk, Va.; and four brothers: Henry, Lemmie, Willie Gray and Charlie CAHOON of Swan Quarter.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, May 22, 1959; pg. 5)


David Q. HOLTON, 48, Mayor of Edenton for two months, died suddenly Monday morning at his lodge at Fairfield on the Dazey CARTER farm where extensive drilling has been done recently by a Texas concern exploring for minerals.  Mr. HOLTON was a native of Forsyth County and had lived in Edenton since 1936, serving as a teacher, later in the mercantile business and was operator of a finance company at the time of his death.  He has served twice on the city council of Edenton and as postmaster in 1952-53, and has held several positions with the State.  He left a wife, two sons and a daughter.  Funeral and burial was held Tuesday at Edenton.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, June 5, 1959; pg. 3)


Imogene WESTON, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Olian WESTON of Lake Landing, has completed her studies at the Good Samaritan Hospital School of Nursing in Charlotte and was designated a Registered Nurse at exercises held Wednesday evening, June 3.  She was graduated with a high scholastic standing and was selected as valedictorian of her class.  She had completed 3 years of study, including several months of tuberculosis nursing at Piedmont Sanitarium in Burkeville, Virginia, and special psychiatric training in the State Hospital at Wingdale, New York.  In 1955 she was graduated from the Davis High School in Engelhard and was chosen at that time as valedictorian of her class.  While at the hospital in Charlotte she has been recognized several time as an outstanding student and was the recipient of a scholarship from the Ladies Auxiliary of Saint Michael's and All Angels Episcopal Church during her first year of study.  As a junior, she was selected to represent her school at the Nurse's Association annual meeting in Atlantic City, New Jersey.  Besides her duties as student and practicing nurse, she has found time to edit the first annual in the history of the Nursing School and also to establish and edit a school newspaper.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, June 5, 1959; pg. 5)


Miss Rosetta Ann SPENCER of Washington, N.C. is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Branch SPENCER of Swan Quarter.  Her engagement to Daniel Sawyer MAYO, son of Mr. and Mrs. John A. MAYO of Washington, is announced by her parents.  The wedding is planned for August 22 in the First Methodist Church at Washington.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, June 5, 1959; pg. 8)


Mrs. Grace Warren O'NEAL, age 61, wife of Isaac F. O'NEAL, of Washington, N.C., died Wednesday, May 27th in the Prince George's Hospital in Cheverly, Maryland following an illness of several weeks. Mr. O'NEAL was born in Beaufort County on January 23, 1898, daughter of the late Jesse J. and Helen Ricks WARREN. She was married on November 14, 1958 to I.F. O'NEAL of Ocracoke who survives. She was a member of the Warren Chapel Methodist Church, the DAR and Washington Chapter #7 Order of Eastern Star. Surviving with her husband are one daughter, Mrs. Arbor W. GRAY of Hyattsville, Md.; and two grandchildren; two sisters: Mrs. A.N. LEWIS of Richmond, Va. and Mrs. R.H. PICKARD of Durham, N.C.; four brothers: Rev. Millard W. WARREN of Graham, N.C., Oscar M. WARREN of Richmond, Dr. Bryan P. WARREN and Dr. John M. WARREN of Laurel, Md. Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2:30 in the First Methodist Church with Rev. Clyde G. McCARVER and Rev. L.A. LEWIS officiating. Burial will be in Oakdale Cemetery with the Order of Eastern Star in charge of graveside rites. Serving as acting pallbearers are Clifton WEATHERLY, Gerald MITCHELL, Weyman ADAMS, W. George SMITH, Rufus ROBERTS and Jesse GARRISH.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, June 12, 1959; pg. 2)


Soule Methodist Church was the scene of the Saturday wedding of Miss Frances Annette CAHOON and Thomas L. BISHOP.  The Rev. Robert BUNDY officiated and music was presented by Mrs. R.G. BAUM, organist, and Miss Dorothy CUTRELL, soloist.  The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lemmie CAHOON of Swan Quarter and the bridegroom is the son of Mrs. Tim SMITH and the late Guy T. BISHOP of Swan Quarter.  The bride was given in marriage by her brother, Edward CAHOON.  Mrs. William MANN of Colonial Heights, Va., cousin of the bride, was matron of honor.  The bridegroom has as his best man, his brother, Joe Henry BISHOP.  After a wedding trip to the beach the couple will be at home at Apex.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, June 12, 1959; pg. 4)

(The Coastland Times - Friday, June 12, 1959; pg. 5)


Miss Elizabeth Carolyn BARE, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose Parks BARE of Jefferson, became the bride of James Allen GIBBS, son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Lee GIBBS of Engelhard, at 4:30 Tuesday afternoon, June 2, in the First Presbyterian Chapel in Winston-Salem.  The vows were spoken to Dr. Julian LAKE, pastor of the church.  The maid of honor was Miss Joanne VANNOY of West Jefferson and Winston-Salem.  Richard Lee GIBBS, JR. of Raleigh was best man.  Ushers were Jim O'NEAL of Weldon, Louis CLARKE of Engelhard, Richard PAYNE of Rural Hall and Bill BARR of King.  The bride is a graduate of Jefferson High School, Lees-McRae Junior College and Appalachian State Teacher's College.  For the last 3 years she has been a member of the faculty in the Walkertown school.  The bridegroom is a graduate of Camden Military School in Camden, S.C. and attended Wake Forest College where he was a member of Alpha Sigma Chi fraternity.  He is associated in business with R.L. Gibbs and Company in Engelhard where the couple will make their home.  Mr. and Mrs. R.L. GIBBS of Engelhard and Mrs. R.L. GIBBS, JR. of Raleigh attended the wedding.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, June 12, 1959; pg. 10)


Individualistic Sam JONES, the Hyde County farm boy who rose to riches, got the most terrific set back this week that might befall a man of 65.  Judge Walter HOFFMAN, in the Norfolk Federal Court, said "If every man were permitted to live by his own code, we would have a country that would be in terrible condition."  So he gave Mr. JONES  5-year prison sentence Monday, fined him $30,000 for income tax evasion, and the facing of a tax bill of $413,000 as well as the costs of an expensive term of court which lasted nearly 3 weeks.  Liens will be filed on JONES' property pending collection of the money.  This property include dwellings on Ocracoke Island, the city of Norfolk and Princess Anne Co., Va.  JONES was charged with evading $277.000 in income taxes.  The government proved he charged the cost of building his costly dwellings as business expense.  JONES appealed his case and bond was set at $1500.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, June 12, 1959; pg. 12)


Roy Garland ROEBUCK, 61, of Fairfield, died in the Belhaven hospital Saturday night.  He was born in Martin County.  Surviving are his wife, the former Mabel ALLIGOOD of Hamilton; two daughters: Mrs. Forest PEARCE of Okeechobee, Florida, and Mrs. R.B. GARNER of New York City; 5 grandchildren; three brothers [names 4]: George, Tom and Jim of Robersonville, and A.A. of Raleigh; five sisters: Mrs. Opie BASS of Nashville, Mrs. Garland BULLOCK of Greensboro, Mrs. Elliott BARNHILL of Robersonville, Mrs. Alton WHITLEY of Vanceboro and Mrs. Hilton EVERETT of Hamilton.  He was a member of the Fairfield Methodist Church where funeral services were conducted Monday at 2 p.m. by the Rev. Robert BUNDY.  Burial was in Robersonville Cemetery with Masonic rites at 4:30 p.m.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, June 19, 1959; pg. 6)

(The Coastland Times - Friday, June 26, 1959; pg. 9)


Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Brantly WILLIS were honored on their 25th wedding anniversary Wednesday, June 24, by members of the Swindell Fork community.  A picnic supper was served at the Hyde County Memorial Park on the edge of Lake Mattamuskeet.  Mrs. WILLIS is the former Edna SNEAD of Goldsboro, daughter of the late E.H. SNEAD, SR. of Goldsboro and Miami, Florida.  She married Daniel Brantly WILLIS June 24, 1934 in the Friends parsonage in Goldsboro.  Mr. WILLIS is the county FHA supervisor located in Swan Quarter.  The couple have 4 children: Ronnie, Ginger, David and Danny.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 3, 1959; pg. 4)


Jerry COX, 89, died at his home in Pantego Tuesday of last week following a long illness.  Funeral services were held at Paul Funeral Home in Belhaven Thursday afternoon with the Rev. Ralph TYER, pastor of the Pantego Christian Church, officiating.  Burial was in the Yeatesville Cemetery.  Active pallbearers were Mickie BENSON, Oran BENSON, Daniel RATCLIFF, E.H. BISHOP, JR., William DAW and Claude RICKS.  Honorary pallbearers were members of the Bishop Cross Hunting Club.  Mr. COX was a native of Hyde County.  He was a member of the Pantego Christian Church.  Surviving are a son, Roswell COX of the home; a foster son, Frank BATEY of the U.S. Navy in Norfolk, Va.; and two grandchildren: R.H. COX and Louisa COX of the home.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 3, 1959; pg. 8)


One of Belhaven's oldest citizens died Thursday night.  William C. SADLER, native of Hyde County, passed away at his home at the age of 87.  He is survived by a son, Harry SADLER of Belhaven; 11 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren; a brother, Jim SADLER and a sister, Mrs. Ellen O'NEAL, both of Washington.  He was a member of the West Belhaven Church of Christ from where funeral services were conducted at 4:00 Friday with Marion ELLIOTT officiating.  Burial was in the Community Cemetery.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 10, 1959; pg. 1)


Mrs. Clara Elizabeth FISHER, age 79, died in the Beaufort County Hospital, Washington, Friday night following a critical illness of several hours. She was born at Swan Quarter on April 16, 1880, daughter of the late Robert and Mary Elizabeth Midyette HARRIS. She was first married in 1897 to William Allen MANNING who died in 1908. She was married in December 193 to Ernest S. FISHER who preceded her in death in 1949. "Miss Lizzie", as she was affectionately known, lived most of her married life in Sladesville, N.C. and was a member of the Sladesville Methodist Church. Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. L.C. PERRY of Washington; three sons: Jeffrey FISHER of Washington, Bernie A. MANNING of Princess Anne, Va. and William A. MANNING of Charleston, S.C.; 7 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren; three sisters: Mrs. Tim CARAWAN, Mrs. Archie BAUM and Mrs. Jerome JARVIS of Swan Quarter; and two brothers: Robert HARRIS of Swan Quarter and Walter HARRIS of Durham. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at 3:00 in the chapel of the Oden Funeral Home with Dr. Raymond L. ALEXANDER officiating. Burial followed in Oakdale Cemetery in Washington. Serving as pallbearers were Gilbert RICHARDS, Eugene CREDLE, Earl HARRIS, Philip LUPTON, Mervis CREDLE and Allen CREDLE.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 10, 1959; pg. 6)


Mr. and Mrs. William Henry BOOMER celebrated their 50th anniversary as their children, Mr. & Mrs. Linwood B. BRINSON of Richmond and Mr. and Mrs. Tim SMITH of Swan Quarter, held "Open House" at the BOOMER home in Swan Quarter July 5.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 10, 1959; pg. 9)


Miss Frances Jane MIDYETTE, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Franklin MIDYETTE of Fairfield, and Mr. Fred Allen ALEXANDER, JR. of Statesville, N.C., will be married in the Fairfield Methodist Church on August 1 at 4 o'clock.  No invitation have been mailed in the county.  The public is invited.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 24, 1959; pg. 2)


Benjamin (Ben) WILLIAMS, 72, died Sunday afternoon at his home.  Funeral services were conducted Monday morning at 10 a.m. by Rev. W.R. HALE a former Ocracoke pastor, assisted by Rev. W.W. CLARKE, JR. and Rev. Charles CLARY.  Burial was in the family cemetery.  Survivors include a daughter, Mrs. Bettie MIDGETTE of the home; one sister, Mrs. Fannie O'NEAL; two brothers: Mr. Willie WILLIAMS and Mr. Caswell WILLIAMS of Ocracoke; 3 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 24, 1959; pg. 5)


Mr. and Mrs. Elwood B. BOWEN of Swan Quarter announce the birth of a daughter, Mary Boyce, July 20, 1959 at the Pungo Distirct Hospital in Belhaven.  Mrs. BOWEN is the former Marjorie GIBBS of swan Quarter.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 24, 1959; pg. 5)


Commander Charles HUBBARD, USN, retired, died in his sleep Monday night at the Engelhard Hotel where he had lived for the past 10 years.  He was a native of Newport, Rhode Island and was 67 years old.  After his retirement he lived several years at Belhaven before removing to Engelhard.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 24, 1959; pg. 6)


Willis WILLIAMS, 54, died at Duke Hospital Monday and was buried Tuesday in the Belhaven Community Cemetery following services at the Paul Funeral Home, conducted by Rev. David G. BROWN, JR. of Plymouth.  He resided in Belhaven where for many tears he had been employed by the Belhaven Fish and Oyster Co.  He was the husband of Mrs. Nora Daniels WILLIAMS.  He was a native of Hyde County, the son of Nancy Jean and John W. WILLIAMS.  He is survived by one son, Willis WILLIAMS; one daughter, Mrs. W.T. McDANIELS of Childersburg, Alabama; 4 grandchildren; two brothers: John of Warwick, Va. and Sidney of San Diego, California; four sisters: Mrs. R.S. COX of Engelhard, Mrs. J.M. FOX and Mrs. H.B. SCOTT of Rocky Mount, and Mrs. Harvey JORDAN of Belhaven.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 24, 1959; pg. 7)


Rev. and Mrs. Frank WIBRAL were hosts at the Engelhard Christian Parsonage on Wednesday night of last week when David SWINDELL was given a birthday party honoring his 75th birthday.  Mr. and Mrs. SWINDELL went to the parsonage expecting a business meeting but they found a host of friends there to help him celebrate the occasion.  Mr. SWINDELL is a carpenter by trade and enjoys his work all year, with only a vacation during the summer.  (The Coastland Times - Friday, July 31, 1959; pg. 8)

by Ralph Pool

    The Lost Colony never was lost. When Governor John WHITE searched abandoned Fort Raleigh in 1590, his missing settlers were safe, well fed and presumably happy, scarcely a dozen miles away.
    This is the theory brought to light last week by Marshall Layton TWIFORD (photo), 83, of Norfolk, in a story by Victor MEEKINS in the Coastal Times published in Manteo, N.C.
    The theory isn't TWIFORD's. Rather, it is a tradition stemming from the remote past in the East Lake section of Dare County, a region of woodlands and tangled marshes and sluggish creeks, which won wide recognition for the high quality of the corn liquor it produced in prohibition days.
    Not many miles from East Lake, and some 10 miles up Milltail Creek from Alligator River, is a wooded area of some 5,000 acres known as Beechland. This land is rich and somewhat higher than the surrounding marshes. For many generations, until about a century ago, it was the abiding place for a thriving community. Then plague struck, many died, and the frightened survivors fled.
    TWIFORD grew up in the river community at East Lake, where his father, M.D. TWIFORD, a "hard-shell" Baptist preacher, was also a fisherman, farmer, postmaster and merchant. From his father, he learned the story of Beechland's link with the Lost Colony.
    When the English Colonist built Fort Raleigh, the Indians had a settlement at Beechland, with a woodland trail leading to the shore of Croatan Sound opposite Roanoke Island, the tradition says. They made friends with the whites.
    John WHITE left Fort Raleigh in August 1587 to bring back needed supplies from England. A year elapsed. With no sign of WHITE, their fears of a Spanish attack from the sea increasing, and supplies doubtless at the vanishing point, the settlers abandoned Fort Raleigh and joined their Indian friends at Beechland, so the story goes.
    When WHITE finally returned in the summer of 1590, misfortune dogged him. The weather turned foul, and seven Englishmen drowned when their small boat capsized as they tried to land on Roanoke Island.
    Finally reaching shore, WHITE found Fort Raleigh far different from the settlement he had left three years before. He recounts that the houses had been pulled down and a strong enclosure built, with a high palisade of large trees. The place was deserted, but there was no sign of violence or of hurried departure. By agreement, the settlers were to have left crosses marked about the place if threat of danger forced them to abandon the area. There were no crosses. On a tree at the fort's entrance, he found the word "CROATOAN" carved in "Roman letters". Also, the letters "CRO" had been carved on a tree on the brow of a nearby cliff.
    WHITE believed "Croatoan" to mean an island to the south, possibly the present Ocracoke. He planned to go there to continue his search, but the stormy weather continued and the expedition had to scurry out to the open sea to escape destruction.
    WHITE's next idea was to sail to the West Indies, spend the winter, and return the following spring for further search. But the weather continued bad, the idea was dropped, and the expedition returned to England. There ends the recorded history of the Raleigh
    One tradition holds that the John WHITE colony journeyed many miles to the south and finally settled in what is now Robeson County, on the South Carolina border. And now there is Beechland.
    According to the legend related by TWIFORD, the word "Croatoan" actually referred to the mainland district across Croatan Sound from Roanoke Island, now known as Manns Harbor. Marshy islands dotted the sound and it was almost possible to cross from island to mainland on foot until about 150 years ago. Then an inlet at the present Nags Head filled up, the flow of water from Albemarle Sound was diverted, and strong currents washed the islands away.
    Croatoan, TWIFORD said, was named for an Indian woman who lived and died there and who must have been in some way notable, though only her name comes down to us.
    Beechland was a fair, fruitful and happy land, the story goes. Its deep, black loam produced a bounty of corn, cotton and other crops. Its orchards yielded abundant fruit, its hives produced plenty of golden honey, its herds grazing in the reedy marshlands supplied hides, meat and milk. The sounds and rivers offered fish and oysters for the taking.
    In time, the Indian trail of Croatan faded away and the inhabitants of Beechland came to depend on stout boats of their own making for contact with the outside world. They built up a brisk trade with the West Indies, exchanging drawn cypress shingles and farm produce for sugar, spices, rum, salt and other products.
    In this prosperous community, neighbors came to the rescue of anyone whom misfortune struck. None were permitted to go in want; and in time of death, neighbors hewed a coffin out of the rot-resistant cypress, dug the grave and otherwise ministered to the bereaved. There was no thought of taking pay. Graves were marked with rocks from ballast dumped by ships returned from the West Indies. Many of these graves are to be found in Beechland today, and it is possible that archaeological investigation might turn up new evidence of Beechland's links from the far past.
    "I saw one of those coffins opened," TWIFORD recalled. "It had been dug up accidentally by a bulldozer. The top and bottom halves had been fitted closely together and fastened with pegs. All I saw inside was a little ashes or dust. It ought to have been examined for buttons or other objects, but it wasn't. The men reburied it, and the bulldozer crew circled around the graveyard."
    For many generations, Beechland flourished. At long last, tradition says, there came a day when the people paid little heed to spiritual things, refused to listen to the pleadings of a minister in their midst to humble themselves before God. When they failed to build a church and meet for worship, he warned them to expect catastrophe. Not long after, the minister's warning was fulfilled.
    Calamity struck in the form of a plague, likely cholera brought from the West Indies. Scores died. A few packed their belongings in their boats and escaped to Currituck and elsewhere.
    Beechland vanished as a settled, prosperous community a few years before the Civil War. In later years, a few families trickled back. TWIFORD remembers as a small boy accompanying his father to the district, not many miles from East Lake. Three families then lived there, he says, named SMITH, BASNIGHT, and STOKES. "After a few years, these families disappeared too," TWIFORD added. "I guess they just moved away."
    A check of John WHITE's roster of the Lost Colony reveals a Thomas SMITH, but the link to Beechland is tenuous, to say the least, in view of the multiplicity of SMITH's.
    Marshall TWIFORD, whose memories have brought to life the Beechland story, will be 84 next October 7. He moved from East Lake to Norfolk in the World War I era, and worked as a saw filer at the Naval Base. In 1922 he became a car repairman for the Norfolk & Western Railway. He retired on disability status in 1945. Afterward, for many years, he kept busy building fast, clean-lined sailing boats for an eager clientele. Last October, he underwent an operation that left him incapacitated for active work, and now he spends his time quietly reading, watching television and tending the yard at his home at 8536 Chesapeake Blvd.
    Mr. and Mrs. TWIFORD celebrated their 59th wedding anniversary June 9. They have eight living children, among them a son, Doc Taylor TWIFORD, who operates a well-known restaurant in downtown Norfolk. The others are Mrs. Dewey (Nellie) TWIFORD, Marshall W. TWIFORD, Mrs. Harold (Mabel) MARSHALL, Woodrow W. TWIFORD, and Dennis TWIFORD, all of the Norfolk area, Mrs. Nancy Dee SUMRELL of Baltimore, and Mrs. Hester TWIFORD of Texas. (The Virginian-Pilot - Sunday, July 3, 1960; Section B) [Submitted by Corky HESTER of Mount Juliet, Tennessee]


Mr. & Mrs. Warren Benjamin PAYNE (photo) of Gull Rock in Hyde County, observed their 50th wedding anniversary here yesterday at a reception given at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Cephas HARRIS at 904 Franklin St. The couple was presented a corsage by their 5 great-grandchildren. They have six children and 15 grandchildren. (The Coastland Times - Monday, January 2, 1961)


Commander Alton W. PAYNE, USN recently spent two weeks at his boyhood home in Gulrock, and saw most of his old friends who are living. He was with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Warren B. PAYNE. Cdr. PAYNE was an Engelhard HS graduate in 1936, taught for a term at Beulahville, and worked as business manager for a Charlotte chemical company. In July 1941 he entered the Navy at Atlanta, Ga., attended elimination flight training school and was sent to Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, Fla. He won his gold wings in August 1942, being commissioned an ensign. During World War II he served in Scouting Squadron No. 38, SAS, Unit II, where he was second in command. He subsequently served as communications officer, Naval Air Station, Trinidad, BWI; attended General Line School, Monterey, California, served as Intelligence analyst in the office of Chief of Naval Operations, Washington; officer in charge of Helicopter Squadron II, detachment one; Air Operations Officer USS Aircraft Carrier Antietam; and recently assistant operations and planning officer, Naval Air Station, Brunswick, Me. On July 20th, he will report for duty at San Diego, as Executive Officer, Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron 8. He is married to the former Joyce HOLLINGSWORTH of Kenansville, N.C. and they have three children, Holly, Alton Jr., and Susan. (The Coastland Times - Monday, January 2, 1961)


Mr. & Mrs. Warren Benjamin PAYNE of Gull Rock (in Hyde County) observed their 50th wedding anniversary yesterday at a reception given at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Cephas HARRIS at 904 Franklin St. The couple was presented a corsage by their five great-children. They had six children and 15 grandchildren. (The Coastland Times - Monday, January 2, 1961)


    A very much "well beloved" senior citizen of Hyde County who has reached the ripe age of 91, deserves recognition by all who know and love him. Mr. Warren PAYNE of Gulrock is a living example of one who has followed the Lord's commandment, "Thos shalt love they neighbor as thyself."
    Born March 1, 1877, in what is now called the "White Plains" community of Hyde County, he was one of eleven children, one of whom when adopted was three days old. He still has four living sisters, the oldest Mrs. Lizzie
CREDLE, formerly of Swan Quarter but now living in New York. She is 94. The youngest, Mrs. Addie GIBBS, now 84, lives in White Plains. Mr. PAYNE's parents were Millard Fillmore PAYNE, raised in the Fairfield community, and Adeline Brooks PAYNE, her ancestors coming from England to Ocracoke in the 1700's, and moving to this vicinity about 1780.
    When he was two, Mr.
PAYNE's family moved to Gulrock into what was then known as the LUPTON homestead, later it became known as the MASON homestead. Three years later, they moved into their homestead in Gulrock where all the children were raised.
    "Education was scarce in those days," says Mr.
PAYNE, "most of it being conducted a few weeks during the summer, first in an old church, and later in a barn that was situated near the site of the O'NEAL homestead." However, with such a large family, and so much to do, the lad Warren had little time that could be spared for schooling, and about 100 days of schooling was all he could boast of. But, as the old saying goes, "when you haven't much education you've just got to use your head." That is what he always did.
    His father raised cotton, and it was the children's job to pick out the seed, and then it was woven into cloth. From this his mother and sisters made the clothes for the family. They also raised sheep, from which they sheared the wool and carded it, and knit their own socks. Although the farms in those days were small, the families were almost self-sufficient, raising and making almost everything needed. Each had a share of work, sharing family responsibilities, family pleasures, and with little time to get into mischief.
    Young Warren's father taught him the art of plowing, and that, together with fishing and oystering, filled his days at age 8. At ten, he had the added job of hauling water in barrels from Lake Landing, six miles distant. This was done on Saturdays, and was due to the wells not being very deep at that time. They often went dry. He received ten cents a barrel for the work and the twelve mile round-trip. They added alum to the water used for drinking and cooking to sweeten and clear it. Completely exhausted with his heavy chores at such an early age, Warren would often be restless in his sleep, and took to sleep-walking. Someone in the family would usually get to him by the time he had harnessed the horse and taken it to the well for water. Finally his mother took to tying his ankle to the bedpost and piling chairs by the bed. In his effort to get out of bed they were usually aroused, thus averting his going outside and into danger. But far from regretting his busy life as a youngster, Mr.
PAYNE claims work was always one of his greatest pleasures, and so it remains to this day.
    As he grew into manhood, labors naturally increased but pleasures also were woven into the hours. His family loved music, and when one or two organs moved into the community, many were the happy hours his family gathered round and blended their voices. Young people would gather in groups at one of the homes with an organ, and such was their interest that they had someone come in and give singing lessons. Mr.
PAYNE's father worked farm land at Lake Landing and he, together with young Warren and his brother, would camp several weeks at a time at the site while the crop was being laid by. Many an evening when the work was done they would sit out on the old "stoop" and sing together, their voices wafting out over the quiet evening air, to the delight of neighbors who were also on their stoops relaxing a little while before bedtime.
    Mrs. Mattie
GIBBS still recalls with delight, how as a child she and her family would listen to the singing. As a child young Warren was served a special "possum dinner" on his birthdays, but his taste for this delicacy (?) wasn't long petering out, and as he reached his late teens he celebrated his birthday by having an oyster roast out in the field adjacent to the Landing road. He would catch 12 to 15 tubs of oysters and invite everyone in the community. At the time the population of Gulrock was about 150. Everyone would bring fresh cornbread, and Warren would have fires going and would serve oysters roasted or steamed. [The rest of this article is missing] (The Coastland Times - Friday, December 6, 1968. Newspaper clipping found in the Alton Warren PAYNE Collection)

(Probably the Washington Daily News - March 1971.  Article kindly submitted by Ron Downie.)


This stone marks the grave of Hyde County's longest-lived citizen, Ann Howard of Ocracoke. Hyde researchers found the gravestone. The marker says she was born 1724 and died Nov. 24, 1841 at the age of 117. The inscription below the dates says:

"Lo! the prisoner is released
Lightened of her fleshly load
Where the weary are at rest
She is gathered unto God."

    SWAN QUARTER - "The man who has not anything to boast of but his illustrious ancestors is like a potato - the only good belonging to him is under the ground," an English lord once remarked. Still another philosophy is "If you don't know who you were, you don't know who you are." Take either view you wish. Ancestry is a topic which bores some people, fascinates others and entitles a few to DAR membership. If you ever decide to find out your origin, you may frequent the courthouse, interview older relatives or visit graveyards. To help future researchers and to put local history down on paper, the Hyde County Historical Society is compiling an index of all people known to be buried in the county
    Hyde's indexing of cemeteries--church, family and abandoned--is the only county index in the state, N.C. officials believe. The listing will be one book of a three-volume Hyde County history, the rural eastern county's first.
    Rambling through old cemeteries and copying tombstone epitaphs seems dull and even dangerous, particularly in several snake-infested graveyards. But local high school students have ignited a fire of interest in the county's history. Each tenth and eleventh grade Mattamuskeet School student first thought of a topic he was interested in. Original research was mandatory, because no history of the county had ever been written. So students began interviewing, visiting cemeteries and researching death certificates. Then parents, neighbors and teachers began fanning the flame. They volunteered information, or wrote a distant relatives for help.
    Now after three years' work, the students have amassed an index of over 6,000 listings from more than 200 cemeteries. The young historians talked with older citizens in each community, copying what they were told and researching it later. Sometimes a clue from an older resident led to discovery of a forgotten graveyard. That was how the oldest tombstone was found.
    Henry Lane
GIBBS, ECU student working with the project this summer, heard of an abandoned cemetery in the middle of a farm field. Checking it out he found, unknown to the nearest resident, the oldest tombstone in the county--that of Mary CAHOON who died April 20, 1801 at 45 years old. Mrs. CAHOON was around, of course, during the American Revolution in 1776. "Practically every Hyde County native could be a Daughter of a Son of the American Revolution," mused Miss Rebecca SWINDELL, Hyde Historical Society president. "The county has a rich early history."
    The oldest Hyde citizen thus far discovered was Ann
HOWARD of Ocracoke. She lived to be 117. Canvassing Ocracoke Island was done last May. Mattamuskeet students joined Ocracoke students for a full day of mapping out the island's cemeteries. One of the most famous is the British Cemetery of four British soldiers killed off the Ocracoke coast during World War II.
    Making history fun was no problem on Ocracoke. With inland and island students joining forces, over 1,000 graves were mapped. Ocracoke philanthropist Sam Jones picked up the students' hotel and food tabs.
    Older tombstones were often illegible because of the area's cruel climate of salt water, acid soil, marshes and hurricanes. To get a good reading from a stone, students covered it with mud, then scrapped it off with a putty knife.
SWINDELL, long a history buff, laments that if records had been compiled about 1900, nearly every cemetery would be known in Hyde. Several graves before 1900 were marked by cypress and cedar posts, now destroyed by storms. Some 15 to 20 known cemeteries have been plowed up since 1900. Parts of the county washed by the Pamlico Sound have sunken graveyards.
    Hyde County commissioners loaned the historical society $3,000 to prepare the history for publication. The three-volume set, which should be published by next spring, will include early 1700 history; maps and geographic changes; Hyde's role in early Indian wars, the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812; education; courts; churches; transportation; occupations; county directories; census reports and the cemetery index.
    This summer the staff is working in a mobile unit at Mattamuskeet School. Guy
GIBBS is chief editor of the narrative. R.S. SPENCER, JR. high school history teacher, supervised the student projects. (Unknown paper and date but probably The Coastland Times circa 1972- Newspaper clipping found in the Alton Warren PAYNE Collection)


Thirty-Five Years Ago - May 3, 1940
    Mr. Martin
JOHNSON, who in her own right was widely known and who with her late husband, had been to the darkest jungles of Africa on exploring trips, spent two or three days in Hyde County. She and her escort, Charles H. GETTS of New York, fished with Lem CAHOON in the canals adjacent to Lake Mattamuskeet. (The Coastland Times - Tuesday, May 6, 1975; pg. 4)


ANCHORAGE, ALASKA - U.S. Air Force Sergeant William S. HARRIS, son of Herbert HARRIS of Fairfield, has graduated from the Alaskan Air Command Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska. Sergeant HARRIS, who was trained in military management and supervision, is an aircraft maintenance specialist at Elmendorf. The sergeant is a 1967 graduate of Davis High School, Engelhard. His wife, Gloria, is the daughter of Mrs. Georgie BAILEY of Millsboro, Delaware. (The Coastland Times - Tuesday, May 6, 1975; pg. 7)


Mr. & Mrs. Jimmy SPENCER went to Raleigh Durham airport to pick up Mrs. Mary PATRICK. Mrs. PATRICK was returning from St. Louis, Mo. where she had visited her son, Dr. R.L. PATRICK, JR. and his family.

Ben MIDYETTE visited his brother-in-law, the Rev. Horace THOMPSON of Winterville, who is a patient at Pitt Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Carl SPENCER and daughter of Norfolk, Mr. & Mrs. John Willis SPENCER and daughter of Smithfield, Va., Mr. & Mrs. Gilbert TILLETT and two sons of Wanchese, and Mrs. Lyda SWINDELL of Washington were here for last rites for Mrs. Ola SPENCER.

Mr. & Mrs. Edward NEAL of Chesapeake visited Mrs. Belle NEAL, other relatives and friends before returning home. They were Engelhard residents before moving to Virginia.

Ephron COHOON of Norfolk visited relatives and friends here for a few days. He was with his mother, Mrs. Alamoda COHOON and Lawson COHOON and family.

Mr. & Mrs. K.B. JENNINGS, JR. of Winston-Salem were recent guests of their grandmother, Mrs. Lucy COX. (The Coastland Times - Thursday, January 15, 1976; pg. 5B)


(EDITOR'S NOTE - This church history paper was read at the celebration of the 200th Anniversary of Bethany Methodist Church held at Gull Rock on Easter Sunday evening.)


Prior to the 1800's services were held in a building which was on Ione O'NEAL's property. This was the old barn that stood by the well close to Adolph Francis' house.

The first Methodist Church building in Hyde County was located at Gulrock on the site of the present Methodist Church.

Bethany Methodist Church, Mount Pleasant in Hyde County was established about 1806.

William BROOKS gave the land and supervised the building of the first church. There he preached and taught school.

William BROOKS was designated a Methodist Episcopal Preacher by Jn. O'GAMEWELL, Kitty Hawk, Currituck County, 1807. Brooks was born in 1756 and died in 1838. His parents and maternal grandparents are buried at Gulrock. His grandfather, Jacob FARROW SR., was born in 1705. Engraved on BROOKS' tombstone is a poem that goes like this:

My living friends
as you pass by,
As you are now
so once was I.
As I am now
You soon will be,
Prepare yourselves to follow me.

William BROOKS gave the first church and since there were no conferences, he owned both the church and the land. BROOKS sold the land to Benjamin MIDYETTE. When the land belonged to Benjamin MIDYETTE, he made a covenant with persons who became contributors to build a House of Worship on a certain part of MIDYETTE land that he would make a title for said land. Benjamin MIDYETTE died before such title was made. The land then belonged to Thomas P. PUGH and Emma Courtney PUGH. Emma C. PUGH was the daughter of Benjamin MIDYETTE. They fulfilled the covenant with a deed for Bethany Methodist Church, Mount Pleasant, drawn up October 10, 1868. The deed was recorded October 10, 1870. The boundaries for the land were described as beginning at a stone on the westward edge of the main road and nearly south of Bethany Church and running No. 58 degrees west and so on. By this deed it is well established that there was a church where this one stands or close by. The old church building was sold or given to Damron Hickson PUGH, who used it for a store. The pulpit or part of it was installed and enlarged in the present church as can be seen by the woodwork. The old church was much smaller and there was a chair or stand for the preacher, which enabled him to look down upon the congregation, much like the English churches. This part was eliminated after they built the church that now stands.

An existing church register of the Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church, South shows a register of church members as early as 1869. They are as follows: Christopher Jones Lupton MASON, Susan T. MIDYETTE, H. NOBLES, N. B. O'NEAL, Mary O'NEAL, Ben D. PUGH, Joseph H. WHITE. Many people were registered as members through the years. It is interesting to note that some were transferred to Amity, some moved away, or as recorded, some were lost sight of.


This is a report taken from the Church Conference Record book. "Since I came to the work I have been filling the regular appointments at this church when the weather and roads were so that I could reach here. We are hoping that as the spring weather comes on and the roads improve to meet all appointments. And also to visit among our people here. We are anxious to have a good year in the work of the Lord.
    April 15th 1925
Respectfully submitted W. M.

We have Sunday School records dating from 1925 to 1959. Here is one such record.

Record for Sunday January 25, 1925

    Pastors found on record who served at Bethany Methodist Church from 1869 to 1976. H.H. GIBBONS, J.H. GORDAN, R.C. BEAMON, J.R. FINDLEY, J.D. CARPENTER, J.D. GUTHRIE, C.F. SHERRILLE, J.D. PEGRAM, C.P. GEROME, J.T. BAGWELL, J.G. JOHNSON, S.M. BREWER, B.H. BLACK, J.E. SAUNDERS, R.R GRANT, J.W. AUTREY, William P. CONSTABLE, D.A. FUTRELL, J.J. LEWIS, W.M. WALL, F.B. BRANDINGBURG, H.A. CHESTER, STANFORD, W.K. WRIGHT, R.F. DAVIS, J.C. HARMON, William Oliver CONNER, Horace GARRIS, Angus M. CAMERON, James A. WILLIAMS, Richard MABE, BEAL, Haywood W. MARTIN, Lloyd SANDERLIN, and James LANGSTON. Through the years, the members of Bethany United Methodist Church and others, have tried to preserve its simplicity and beauty.
    We, the living, remember some of the repairs that have been made. Twenty one years ago the outside of the church was painted, with the help of United States Navy men who were stationed at Gulrock. It was painted again on the outside in 1975.
    As far back as some can remember, the church has had three new roofs. The first time wooden shingles were used, the second, asphalt shingles were put on over the wooden ones. The third time which was this year, the old roof was completely stripped. Workers were amazed at the large size of the hand hewn rafter and how close they were put together. Plywood and shingles were used for the present roof. The box like trimming across the front of the building was repaired also.
    About 1940 the roof had leaked so that the inside ceiling overhead was so damaged that a section of the ceiling, on the left in the back corner, was removed and new put up. The windows were puttied at that time.
    Wall to wall carpeting has been added this year; also the pews and pulpit have been painted. The chairs in the pulpit have been recovered and refinished.  There was a chimney above, center front. It was removed this year.
    Through most of the years the church was heated by a wood heater. Only in recent years has gas been used. The oil lamps at the upper corners of the windows and the ones on the piano, have probably been in the church since it was first built. Two of the lamps have reflectors still attached to them. The work of the Lord goes on. The ladies are members of an active United Methodist Women's Society. The men are Members of the United Men's Club. The youth are Members of the United Methodist Youth Fellowship.
    Church services are held each second and fourth Sunday of the month. Sunday School is every Sunday. There are three Sunday School classes, one for adults, one for teen age youth and one for elementary children. The curtained areas at the front of the church are used for class rooms. Four young people have joined church this year.
    April 3, 1976, the pastor, the superintendent, and three others attended and participated in the Bicentennial Celebration at Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. A banner was made according to specifications and carried in the procession. The Anchor Cross was used as a symbol. It symbolizes salvation through Christ's death and resurrection, and hope in the eternal life.
    April 18, 1976
Respectfully submitted by Lessie Mason

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Lessie, the daughter of the late Christopher Roscoe MASON and Mrs. Minnie Wallace MASON, was born in Gull Rock. She married Sam CUTHRELL and had the following children: Diane Rita, Rusty, and Angela. She has three grandsons: Samuel, Andrew, and Eric. She is active in Bethany Methodist Church where she serves as Sunday School teacher of the Elementary Class and counselor for the MYF. Her hobbies are painting and ceramics.  (Washington Daily News (Washington, NC) - Thursday, May 6, 1976; pg. 12) [Newspaper clipping found in the Nell Wise WECHTER Private Collection]


Born to Mr. & Mrs. Jack Luanda GIBBS of Engelhard, a son, Toby Lloyd, on June 18 at Pungo District Hospital in Belhaven. The mother is the former Barbara Anne BLAKE. (The Coastland Times - Thursday, June 24, 1976; pg. 2A)


Mr. & Mrs. Bob SWINDLER and boys of Shelbyville, Ky., spent the past 10 days with her parents, Mr. & Mrs. M.O. CARAWAN and sister, Mrs. Gray HOPKINS, and family.

Mr. & Mrs. Alvah WILLIAMS and daughter, Jan, of Neaderland, Texas spent several days with Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth SPENCER.

Mrs. Roger SPENCER visited her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Albert CAPPS, in Smithfield.

Mr. & Mrs. Malcolm COX, Mrs. Willie M. BONNER and Mrs. Dell BERRY attended Father's Day service at the Unity Church of Christ where their brother, Stacy COX, is minister.

Mrs. Travis SADLER of Tracy, California was met at Kinston Airport Sunday night by her mother, Mrs. Malcolm COX, and sister, Mrs. Weldon SCOTT.

Mr. & Mrs. Binnie HODGES of Norfolk, Va. visited their parents, Mr. & Mrs. Bevel HODGES and Mr. & Mrs. Otis E. SADLER.

Mr. & Mrs. Bobby WISE, Celeste and Phillip of Chesapeake, Va. spent the weekend with her mother, Mrs. Rosa WHEELER, and her brother, Aubrey.

Mr. & Mrs. Wilbert CARAWAN and Mr. & Mrs. Hunter MASON of Virginia Beach, Va. were here last week for the funeral of Mrs. Dorothy Mason CARAWAN who passed away at her home in Virginia Beach.

Mr. Edd HODGES of Swan Quarter celebrated his 90th birthday on June 6th. A dinner was given in his honor at his home. His children attending to help him and Mrs. HODGES celebrate were Mr. & Mrs. Vernon HODGES of New Bern, Mr. & Mrs. Jimmie REGES and Pam and Rose Mary REGES of Rocky Mount, Mr. & Mrs. Donald BJURSTROM (Mrs. BJURSTROM will be remembered here as the former Millicent HODGES) and friend, Kurt KROGER of Moline, Illinois, Mr. & Mrs. Allen REGES of Rocky Mount, Mrs. Mattie BAUM and Butow BAUM of Wake Forest, Mr. & Mrs. Walter STOTESBERRY of Pungo and Mr. & Mrs. David DUNBAR.

Mr. & Mrs. Cecil BULLOCK and granddaughter, Amie, of Norfolk, Va., Mr. & Mrs. Bill SCHMIDT of Rocky Mount, Mr. & Mrs. Richard REIGER, Susan, Joe, Donnie, and J.C. SWINDELL of Tarboro spent Father's Day weekend with their parents, Mr. & Mrs. Fred HARRIS. (The Coastland Times - Thursday, June 24, 1976; pg. 10A)


Mr. & Mrs. John ROWE of Raleigh spent the weekend with her parents, Mr. & Mrs. R.B. BALLANCE and family.

Mr. & Mrs. Freddie HARRIS and son, Mark, of Hendersonville were guests of her mother, Mrs. Mattie RALPH. They stopped by to see Freddie's parents, the Rev. and Mrs. Macon HARRIS, in Fairfield and returned home on Sunday.

Chuck MARSHALL visited his sister, Mrs. Rolanda PRADO, and Dr. PRADO in Durham for a few days.

Mrs. Edith JARVIS is spending some time in Columbia with her daughter, Mrs. Royce RHODES and family.

Mr. & Mrs. Hugh SHIPMAN of Southport visited her sister, Mrs. Robena COX, and Mr. & Mrs. Horace GIBBS.

Mrs. Don MILLER of Parkdale, Oregon is spending some time with her mother, Mrs. Fannie WATSON, and John WATSON.

Gene MARSHALL and children of Fredericksburg, Va. were guests of his parents, Mr. & Mrs. M.E. MARSHALL.

Mr. & Mrs. Charles PERRY and children of Virginia Beach, Va. and Mr. & Mrs. Sylvester BURRUS and children of Friendly, Maryland were recent guests of Mrs. Nora Roper BERRY.

Mr. & Mrs. Paul GIBBS and daughter of Arlington, Va. visited his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Leslie GIBBS. (The Coastland Times - Thursday, June 24, 1976; pg. 8B)


Reginald BURRUS of Elizabeth City visited this week with his mother, Mrs. Kate BURRUS, and Mr. & Mrs. Huron GIBBS.

Mr. & Mrs. Guy GIBBS and Burnell GIBBS visited Saturday with Mrs. Burnell GIBBS at Beaufort County Hospital. Mrs. GIBBS underwent surgery on Thursday.

Leigh Ann CARAWAN of Swan Quarter spent last week with her grandmother, Mrs. Annie P. McKINNEY.

Mr. & Mrs. George T. BURRUS of Cape May, N.J. visited Thursday with Miss Julia COX. (The Coastland Times - Thursday, June 24, 1976; pg. 12B)




Beaufort-Hyde News (Belhaven, NC) - Thurs, May 18, 1978
Pgs. 1 & 2

Beaufort-Hyde News (Belhaven, NC) - Thursday, March 13, 1980; Pgs. 4 & 6



    ENGLEHARD - For almost fifty years Ben MIDYETTE has been a part of the business community in Engelhard. MIDYETTE graduated from Lake Landing High School in 1932 and immediately went to work for his uncle, Sam NEAL. NEAL's business was located in the building where the Fabric Shop is today. It offered groceries and a lunch counter. He operated his business in that location from 1932 to 1936.
    In August 1936, he moved into a new building built by
NEAL. He and his wife Elgie still have a restaurant in that same building today. Over the years he has seen many changes but none more than in the area of wages and prices.
    In the early days
MIDYETTE recalls charging 30 cents for an ouster or shrimp plate. It was after World War II before he charged as much as $1.50 for a full seafood platter. "Of course I could buy oysters for 75 cents a gallon then," he points out. That is compared with approximately $23 a gallon today.
    The period of the low prices was also a time when the fishermen used "to pound net fish."
MIDYETTE smiles when he remembers being able to get "a peck of fish" from the dock right by his restaurant for 25 cents.
    When he first went to work for his uncle, he made $5 a week. His wife is quick to remind him that when she went to work for him as a waitress in 1949 while she was a high school student that he only paid her $8 a week. She added that since he only "took in about $40 a week" she was probably fortunate.
    During World War II "everything died business wise"
MIDYETTE says. "There was one year during the war when I had no help at all," he continued.  In the years following the war, business improved and "prices began to go up and have been going up ever since," he commented.
    During the 1950's the shrimping industry caused a boom in business in Engelhard.
MIDYETTE and other businessmen in the community recall the large number of shrimp boats that used the docks in those days. One could walk the length and width of the creek most nights by going from boat to boat. The vessels were also much smaller than those used today and few of them had galleys for cooking. That meant that most of the crews ate in one of the five restaurants or snack shops in the area; MIDYETTE's Engelhard Cafe, Clifton McKINNEY's "Dr. Pepper Shop", Warren HARRIS's Friendly Soda Shop, and businesses operated by Tom SPENCER and John Anson MARSHALL.
    A number of businesses have come and gone and changed locations during the years that
MIDYETTE has survived in the same spot. The first bank was located next to the cafe where the service station building is today. It was hit by lightning and burned. There was a barber shop behind the Fabric Shop operated by Nat SPENCER and a bus station on "Dog Corner". Rufus WILLIAMS had a shoe shop and shoe repair business which was located in Floyd GIBBS' Game Room.
    In a building located next to the Skeet Theatre and on the lot where the East Carolina Bank sits was the first Beauty Shop.
MIDYETTE remembers Annie Weston PAYNE being the first beautician there and later Mamie Ruth MANN.
    Enterprise Supply Company's building for many years housed the Harold
JARVIS Dept. Store. Joe HARRIS operated an auto repair shop and Lucy and Roy COX owned a grocery and soda shop next to R.S. SPENCER's General Store.
    The clothing store adjacent to the Engelhard Cafe was an old shed moved from behind the Fabric Shop and was at one time a drug store owned by Dave and Fannie Selby
PEBBLES and later Warren HARRIS. It has also been a grocery store operated by several merchants over the years.
    Bill Harvey
COX's store and service station and businesses begun by Tony SPENCER and Closs GIBBS are among the few remaining enterprises that were operating in the early years after MIDYETTE started his career.
    In addition to the restaurant,
MIDYETTE and his family own MIDYETTE's Motel which he acquired at the death of his aunt, Annie MIDYETTE. He remembers when his present motel was two houses and operated as a boarding house. It was originally owned by Monroe CLAYTON. The two houses were joined in 1949 and remodeled.
    In 1946, Poparena, a dance hall, was built by
MIDYETTE on the Stumpy Point road just east of Engelhard. Among those who helped him operate this business were Mina and Bill TILLETT.
    There are probably many reasons that
MIDYETTE's business has survived. In addition to good food, it has always been the place where the men in the community came to have their second cup of coffee in the morning and talk. For many years it was "the place" for the young people to gather after school and ball games and on weekends. The Engelhard Cafe probably had the first juke box in town which was a drawing card for teenagers.
    As many others have come and gone in business,
MIDYETTE has obviously had the right combination to be a survivor. (The Coastland Times - Tuesday, March 10, 1981; pg. 8)


Return to Hyde County News

Return to Hyde County Home Page