Miscellaneous Newspaper Articles
for Hyde Co., NC


Walter H. JENNETTE of Scranton posted bond for his appearance in Hyde County court, Monday, January 10, on a charge of driving reckless and having no driving permit.  JENNETTE, a member of the Marine Corps who was spending some time home during the holidays, ran into a car driven by Dr. Thomas MANN of Engelhard between New Holland and Lake Landing, Wednesday, December 29th.  Herman CREDLE of New Holland, who was riding with Dr. MANN, was badly hurt in the accident.  Dr. MANN received cuts on the face.  Those in JENNETTE's car were not hurt.  According to patrolman C.E. WHITFIELD who investigated the wreck, JENNETTE was driving at a rapid rate of speed.  The 1938 Buick he was driving skidded 250 feet after it hit Dr. MANN's 1938 Packard, doing great damage to both cars.  (Dare County Times - Friday, January 7, 1944; pg. 1)


The marriage of Byron Lee SPENCER, water tender second-class and formerly of Middletown, Hyde County, son of Mr. and Mrs. Archie L. SPENCER, to Grace Anna ERNST, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ezra ERNST of Olympia, Washington, took place in the evening of October 20th, 1943.  The young couple were united by Joseph WEBER.  They had a simple home wedding followed by a wedding dinner and reception.  Byron Lee SPENCER has been in the Navy for 6 years and spent four of this time on the same ship as his brother, Bill T. SPENCER.  Both boys have progressed rapidly with good records.  Grace will continue working for the same company for which she had been employed for the past 2 years as Byron will continue to do his bit toward winning the war.  (Dare County Times - Friday, January 7, 1944; pg. 1)


Dr. E.W. CONSTABLE of Raleigh who lived in Hyde County while a boy where his father was a Methodist preacher in the Mattamuskeet charge and brother of Mrs. W.W. WATSON of Lake Landing, was last week appointed as State chemist to fill the vacancy left by the death of Dr. Benjamin W. KILGORE Monday night.  Dr. CONSTABLE held the post of senior food chemist with the State Department of Agriculture.  He has worked with the State Department of Health and the federal government.  Dr. CONSTABLE, the son of the Rev. and Mrs. W.P. CONSTABLE who lived at Lake Landing four years, graduated from State College with a B.S. degree and from the University of North Carolina with an M.S. degree and PhD. in science.  He also held a fellowship at Duke for one year.  (Dare County Times - Friday, January 7, 1944; pg. 1)


    Lt. Avery WILLIAMS, son of Mr. and Mrs. E.A. WILLIAMS of Swan Quarter, has recently been transferred from the infantry to the air transport section of the Army and has been sent to Australia from New Guinea.  Writing home telling his parents of the change, the young Army officer expresses joy and thankfulness to get back to more normal ways of living.  Part of his letter follows:
    "Pardon the delay in writing but I am back south in Australia.  Civilization is wonderful again and I am enjoying it to the fullest.  You should see me eat all those good foods that I have been doing without for nine months.  Hot showers are grand too.  There is a very good chance that I will remain for leave over the holidays.  They won't mean a lot but it will at least be a change.  One never knows just how to appreciate the ordinary things in life 'til they aren't to be had.  I'll never complain again.  You must be about in the center of your Christmas rush about now.  The scarcity of items should affect business considerably.  The war seems a long way to the end even in the face of present victories.  Many families will be sad before the end.  We have been extremely fortunate."  (Dare County Times - Friday, January 7, 1944; pg. 2)


Funeral services for Laben BALLANCE, 76, of Fairfield, were held at the graveside at the Fairfield Cemetery Saturday afternoon at 4 o'clock with the Rev. Walter ARMSTRONG officiating. Mr. BALLANCE died suddenly of a heart attack Friday evening at 8:30. He had done his chores and was sitting in the living room at home when he was stricken. Mr. BALLANCE was a life-long resident of Hyde County. he was highly regarded in his community and by a host of friends throughout the county.  (Dare County Times - Friday, January 14, 1944; pg. 1)


David L. CARAWAN, brother of George W. CARAWAN of Swan Quarter, passed away in a Norfolk hospital Thursday, January 6.  Mr. CARAWAN was a native of Hyde County where his father, Rev. William R. CARAWAN, preached.  He also lived for sometime in Columbia where his parents moved when they left Hyde.  Surviving are his wife [not named] and two brothers: Geo. W. CARAWAN of Swan Quarter and W.S. CARAWAN of Columbia; and a half-sister, Mrs. Laura WILLIAMS of Portsmouth.  (Dare County Times - Friday, January 14, 1944; pg. 1)


Last rites for John A. SPRUILL of Currituck township, Hyde County, who died in the Tayloe Hospital in Washington Friday following a stroke, were held Monday at the graveside at Resthaven Cemetery at Sandy Point.  Mr. SPRUILL was a native of Washington County but he had lived in Hyde County for quite a number of years.  He was a Missionary Baptist and was once active in church activities.  Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. F.B. AUSTIN of Portlock, Va.  (Dare County Times - Friday, January 14, 1944; pg. 1)


The gasoline shortage in Hyde County was serious Monday morning but arrival of an old boat at Engelhard for R.L. PATRICK, Hyde County Esso dealer, relieved the situation.  The school at Swan Quarter did not open Monday because there was no gasoline available for the buses.  Other schools had limited amounts of gasoline and were not stopped for that reason.  The shortage of gasoline in Hyde County has become acute on several occasions this year and at one time in October every dealer in the county was out.  It was not quite so bad this time.  T.J. ETHERIDGE, Texaco dealer at Engelhard, had a small supply.  Except for the boat load of gas received week before last by ETHERIDGE, there had been no gas brought to Hyde except by dealer tank trucks for some time.  The Berry Company, Texaco dealer at Swan Quarter, reported Monday that it had not received a shipment of gas since December 4.  It was stated in Swan Quarter Monday that one thing that prevented tank trucks to Hyde was Leechville bridge.  The load limit permitted is not believed to be enough to allow a loaded truck to pass over.  (Dare County Times - Friday, January 14, 1944; pg. 2)

by Sgt. Leon Ballance

    From somewhere in the Caribbean area, December 31. - A Christmas on the Isthmus.  Different? Yes.  There were lighted Christmas trees and Christmas carols were sung and we all dreamed--dreamed of a white Christmas.
    I was reminded, each time that I heard "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas", of last year's pre-Christmas days at Chanute Field, Illinois where the little village of Rantoul was blanketed in snow, yet inside the USO everything was warm and cheery and that song was a favorite with both orchestra and dancers.  Outside, in the night, could be seen the snowflakes as they continued to fall, thick and fast, making the blanket every thicker.  What a disappointment was in store for those of us who were sent to Sunny Texas ten day before Christmas.  This year, however, there was no such disappointment, for we had what we expected--a hot Christmas.
    The seasons round of events began on the night of December 23 with a dance sponsored by the United Women's Service Organization that furnished the partiettes, of course.  Can you imagine dancing under the palm fronds instead of holly, cedar and mistletoe?  Or dancing where the ratio of boys to girls is about 4 to 1?  However, the palm leaves interwoven with the usual red and green decorations produced a very pleasing effect and naturally there were no girls sitting on the sidelines without a partner.  The dance was a success.
    Then 'twas the night before Christmas when all through the barracks--all wasn't quiet.  Someone upstairs was singing "Silent Night".  A cornet was sounding in the next barracks.  Most of our squadron was out some place but two of us (Tar Heels) were truing to convince the first sergeant that there was no place like North Carolina or that it was better than Michigan, anyway.  No one seemed much concerned with the fact that it was the night before Christmas, though, possibly in the back of every mind were thoughts of merry one in the past and eleven o'clock found most of us in bed.
    Then came Christmas morning, the beginning of a lovely day, bathed in tropical sunshine, a challenge to the song birds that accepted it.  There was the Christmas service in the new chapel at 9:30 and the story of the Christ-child was again listened to and shared with men the world over.
    Shortly, it was lunch time and after standing in line for 45 minutes, the turkey and its accessories, the mince pie, fruit cake, and the other Christmas eats were a welcome repast and we did it justice.
    Then stretched ahead a long afternoon with nothing special to do.  After some debate, I began what turned out to be a pleasant journey.  A little curious as to what Christmas in Panama City was like, my steps strayed in that direction.  After several steps along the way I landed at the Tivoli USO and from there began an aimless stroll up Central Avenue, taking in everything within sight or hearing.  Occasionally I met a young drummer boy pounding on a toy drum or a young lass carrying a doll almost as large as she was and now and then I stopped to admire the Yuletide display in some store window.
    Soon I was pleasantly surprised when I met a very nice young lady whom I had had the pleasure of meeting and working with before.  We said "Hello", and she asked if I wouldn't like to see inside the Catholic churches in the city at Christmas time.  Naturally, I wished to, so we visited five that were nearby and I found them very beautiful indeed.  All of them had wonderful and interesting arrangements of the scene of the Christ-child's birth--the manger, the baby Jesus, Mary the mother, and the shepherds on the hills.  The young lady's explanations were also interesting and in very good English.  The tour ended and the day fast drawing to a close, I bade her a gracious goodbye and took a bus back to camp then to a movie and the end of another Christmas.  /s/ Leon  (Dare County Times - Friday, January 14, 1944; pg. 4)


Funeral services for Mrs. Cora PATRICK, 69, were held at her home at Engelhard Thursday morning at 11 o'clock with the Rev. Mr. DAVIS, her pastor, assisted by the Rev. J.T. BROWN officiating.  Interment was in Soule Cemetery.  Mrs. PATRICK died suddenly of a heart attack at her home early Wednesday morning.  She was a native of Hyde County and had lived in the county all her life.  Surviving are three sons: Caesar, Roman and John, all of Engelhard.  (Dare County Times - Friday, January 21, 1944; pg. 1)


Miss Isabella LAWSON, young Engelhard woman, died in the Columbia hospital Wednesday after a short illness.  her health had been poor for several years.  Miss LAWSON was a native of Whitestone, Va. but had lived at Engelhard with an aunt, Mrs. Belle NEAL, since a small child.  She came to line in Hyde County shortly after the death of her mother, Mrs. Lucy Neal LAWSON.  The young woman was highly regarded and well liked in her community where she was active in church and club activities.  Miss LAWSON attended ECTC in Greenville and taught in the public schools of Hyde for a number of years.  Funeral services will be held at the home this Thursday afternoon at 4 o'clock with the Rev. DAVIS, pastor, assisted by the Rev. J.T. BROWN.  Interment will be in Fulford Cemetery.  Surviving are her father, C.L. LAWSON; a sister, Mrs. J.C. ROBBINS; three brothers: Carral, Luther and Dolphas, all of Whitestone, Va.; an aunt, Mrs. Belle NEAL of Engelhard; three uncles: S.S. NEAL and L.M. NEAL of Engehard and H.A. NEAL of Lake Landing.  Pallbearers will be Merle MARSHALL, John PATRICK, R.L. PATRICK, Charles PATRICK, Burl SPENCER and Ben MIDGETTE.   (Dare County Times - Friday, January 28, 1944; pg. 4)


Three sisters, Minnie Lee NEAL, 23, Sophronia NEAL, 19, and Annie May NEAL, 14, daughters of Mr. and Mrs. W.A. NEAL of New Bern suffocated in an upstairs bedroom of their apartment house Tuesday night in one of the most tragic fires in the history of New Bern.  The girls father was a native of Hyde County.  He was a son of the late Benjamin and Elizabeth NEAL of Swan Quarter.  He left home and went to New Bern when a young man.  Origin of the flames which caused the death of the sisters was not determined immediately, but it was believed to have started on the second floor of the building.  The youngest sister apparently awakened in the smoke-filled room and went to the window for aid.  One of the other two bodies was on the bed; the third on the floor.  Water poured into the burning house by firemen scalded their bodies but there was no indication that flames touched them.  Hyde County friends of the family were sorrowed by the bad news.  A funeral was scheduled for Thursday or Friday.  Burial will be in Cedar Grove Cemetery in New Bern.  Surviving are the parents; a brother, William who is in the Army in Oklahoma; a sister, Mrs. Annie CARAWAN of Swan Quarter; and an aunt, Mrs. Martha CREDLE of swan Quarter.  There are many other distant relatives in Hyde County.  (Dare County Times - Friday, January 28, 1944; pg. 4)


Funeral services for W.H. CARAWAN, 74, of Belhaven were held at the home Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock with the Rev. HAAS, pastor of the Belhaven Methodist Church officiating.  Interment was in Oddfeller [Oddfellows] Cemetery.  Mr. CARAWAN died suddenly at his home in Belhaven Thursday morning.  He was the brother of Mrs. Annie RAYBURN of Scranton.  Other survivors are one son, W.F. CARAWAN of Norfolk; two daughters: Mrs. W.A. SYKES of St. Bride, Va. and Mrs. W.R. FORTESCUE of Belhaven; one brother, Ben CARAWAN of Grimesland.  (Dare County Times - Friday, February 4, 1944; pg. 4)


Funeral services for Mrs. Theodosia JENNETTE, 67, of Chester, Pa., were held at the Amity Methodist Church at Lake Landing, Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock with Rev, Mr. DAVIS officiating.  Interment was in the church cemetery.  Mrs. JENNETTE died in a New York hospital Friday morning at 4 o'clock following a short illness.  She was a native of New Jersey.  She married the late R.L. JENNETTE, prominent citizen of Lake Landing Township, and lived in Hyde County the greater part of her life.  She resided at Swan Quarter with her son, Willie JENNETTE, for a short while several years ago.  Surviving are two daughters: Mrs. Al BROACH of Chester, Pa. and Mrs. Walter FLEICHER of New York; three sons: Ben, Chanler and Willie of New York; and 7 grandchildren.  Pallbearers were Liston HARRIS, Early GIBBS, Harold NEAL, Lee Thos. CARTER, Harry HARRIS and Joe SWINDELL.  (Dare County Times - Friday, March 31, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for Clemmie Travis WILLIAMS, 56, of Ocracoke, were conducted at the home on Friday afternoon, April 7, with the Rev. W.R. DIXON, pastor of the United Methodist Church officiating.  Mr. WILLIAMS was the son of Mrs. Alice Wahab WILLIAMS and the late Captain David WILLIAMS, for many years commanding officer of Ocracoke Coast Guard and the old Life Saving Service.  He died early Friday morning following a brief illness.  The deceased was a veteran of the first World War, having served overseas in Battery D, 113th Field Artillery, 30th Division.  Mr. WILLIAMS was born on Ocracoke and lived here all of his life with the exception of the time that he was in the armed forces during the war and for a few years he was employed by the U.S. Engineering Department.  He is survived by his mother; three brothers: Dallas and Tinta WILLIAMS of Ocracoke, and Jasper WILLIAMS of Baltimore, Maryland; two sisters: Mrs. H. Jones WILLIAMS of Ocracoke and Mrs. William H. WARREN of Norfolk.  (Dare County Times - Friday, April 14, 1944; pg. 4)


Mr. and Mrs. W.D. GIBBS of Engelhard received a telegram from the War Dept. Wednesday morning advising them that their son, Tech. Sgt. F.B. GIBBS is missing in action over Europe.  Young GIBBS was a gunner on one of the big bombers based in Italy.  Information obtained by this newspaper Wednesday was vague.  The young man was on a mission over the continent of Europe and apparently his plane did not return.  The young Air Force gunner was 24 years old.  He was fondly known by his pals in service as "Gibby".  He was only recently awarded the Distinguished Merit Badge for outstanding performance of duty in action on the famous Ploesti Rumania oil refinery raid, the story of which carried in The Herald last week.  GIBBS was raised in Princess Ann County, Virginia where his parents, natives of Hyde County, lived for more than 30 years before returning some years ago to live at Engelhard.  (Dare County Times - Friday, April 28, 1944; pg. 4)


Ben E. SPENCER, 65, one of the best loved and most highly respected citizens of Manns Harbor, passed away Thursday, April 27, after a long illness. He was buried Saturday afternoon with the services being conducted by Rev. M.W. MANESS of Manteo. Mr. SPENCER was a native of Hyde County but came to Manns Harbor while quite young. He married Miss Lizzie HAYMAN, one of seven sisters of Capt. Jeff HAYMAN of Manteo. She died about 2 years ago. Mr. SPENCER is survived by a son, Ira SPENCER and a daughter, Mrs. Wallace TAYLOR. Some two years ago he was stricken with a serious illness from which he suffered constantly to the time of his death. He lived in a wheel chair. When he became helpless, his son returned from Norfolk where he was in a responsible position in the Navy Yard, and he and Mrs. SPENCER cared for him to the end. Few men ever reach a higher place of esteem in the community than did Ben SPENCER. He was a good citizen, assuming his share of obligations eagerly and cheerfully. He was a good neighbor and gladly did a good turn for anyone he could help. He took pride in his home and his family and although his last days were filled with suffering he never grumbled. He was conscious up to the last hours and had many visitors. Ira SPENCER plans to return to his job in Norfolk. While in Manns Harbor during the past winter, he carried on his father's fishing business.  (Dare County Times - Friday, May 5, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for Henry N. ROPER, 73, native of Hyde County, were held at St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Bath at 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon with the Rev. A.C.D. NOE officiating.  Interment was in Oakdale Cemetery.  Mr. ROPER was killed in a railroad accident at Morrosion, Va. last Thursday morning at 10 o'clock.  Born and raised near Middletown, Mr. ROPER had lived for many years at Bath and was postmaster there for a number of years.  He was a member of the Episcopal church and an active member of St. Thomas' church while he lived in Bath.  Mr. ROPER had been in failing health in recent months and for the past six months he and Mrs. ROPER had lived with their children in Newport News, Va.  Surviving are his widow who was the former Nancy BROOKS; one daughter, Mrs. Clee REYNOLDS of Newport News; four sons: Jack R. ROPER of Greenville, Henry N. ROPER, JR. of Newport News, First Lieutenant Bernard ROPER with the armed forces in Panama, and Ensign Randolph ROPER with the Navy; two sisters: Miss Mattie ROPER and Mrs. Elizabeth SAWYER of Ransomville; and two brothers: Reuben C. and Lon W. ROPER, also of Ransomville.  (Dare County Times - Friday, May 12, 1944; pg. 1)


    Sgt. Flave GIBBS is visiting his parents, Mr. & Mrs. W.D. GIBBS, in Engelhard after going through some thrilling war experiences in which he was a German prisoner, an escapee in enemy territory, a guest of the European underground and now a soldier on leave at home, all in the space of 6 weeks.  No fiction story could be more exciting than the story related by this boy, and he tells it as if it were all in the day's work.
    "Gibby", as he is fondly known by his Army friend, was tailgunner on an American bomber which was shot down over Austria on April 7.  He and another member of the crew, Sam KICHNER, were the only ones known to have survived the battle.  GIBBS and KICHNER parachuted and were picked up by Nazi soldiers.  They were held prisoners for two days and two nights.  They escaped from the cattle truck in which they were being transported to a prison camp on the third night they were held captives.  The two American boys walked in the hills and mountains of central and southern Europe for two weeks before getting in touch with members of the underground.  They hid during the day and walked the roads at night, stealing what little food they had to eat.
    The Engelhard boy has great praise for the European underground and credits his escape to their splendid work which was carried on under the very noses of Gestapo agents.  "It is a splendid working organization," he told a reporter for this newspaper.  He couldn't tell much about how the underground went about getting him from the clutches of the cruel and beastly Germans.  Such information might lead the secret police to these brave men and women and cripple their work.  Army intelligence officers on several occasions before he was granted leave, gave him specific instructions not to give out certain facts about his experience.
    Sgt. GIBBS was able to say, however, that he entered territory held by guerillas in a Balkan country.  He was brought across the Adriatic Sea and landed on Allied-held territory a month and 5 days after he was shot from the sky by the Jerries.  How he got across the Adriatic, he couldn't tell.  The Hyde County young, a native of Virginia, spent one night in Italy after his return.  He and his pal were sent from there to New York and from New York he came home to visit his parents in the quiet and peace of the coastland of North Carolina.
    Sgt. GIBBS is a veteran of many battles.  He took part in the battle for North Africa, Sicily, Italy, and more recently Europe.  He has one German place to his credit.  He wears the Distinguished Merit Badge for outstanding performance in line of duty over Rumania.
    The story of this thrilling and exciting experience was related to a reporter for this newspaper as if it were a Sunday afternoon fishing trip.  He smiled as he talked, but he made no to-do about it.  His main praise was for the underground.  Expecting to go to a rest camp in Florida after his leave is up, Sgt. GIBBS says that unless something unforeseen happens he will not be put back on combat duty.  Not that he'd mind, he says.  "I wouldn't mind going out in the Pacific and taking a crack at the Japs."  Sgt. GIBBS will leave Friday to go to Virginia to visit relatives there.  (Dare County Times - Friday, May 19, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for David H. CARTER, 88, prominent Fairfield citizen, were held at the home Saturday afternoon at 4 o'clock with the Rev. C.W. GUTHRIE officiating. Interment was in the Fairfield cemetery. Masonic rites were conducted at the graveside. Mr. CARTER passed away Friday night. He had been in poor health for several years and had been seriously ill for the past several months. Son of the late William Sylvester and Mary Farrow CARTER, Mr. CARTER was a member of one of Hyde County's most prominent families. He was well known. During his early years he was considered one of Hyde County's outstanding orators. Surviving are two daughters: Misses Mary and Emily of Fairfield; and two brothers: R.E. CARTER of Middletown and Geo. P. CARTER of Fairfield. Mr. CARTER was a member of the Fairfield Methodist Church and of the Masonic Lodge.  (Dare County Times - Friday, May 19, 1944; pg. 7)


"Hi", yelled the Yank soldier to the pretty English lassie who was walking down the street in Tharyston, England.  "Aren't you Mrs. Leslie O'NEAL?", he asked.  "Yes, but why do you ask?", she wanted to know.  "I'm Leslie's brother, Sgt. Dempsey O'NEAL", replied the Hyde County boy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie O'NEAL of New Holland.  He explained that he had just arrived in England and was trying to find his brother while he had leave so he was in Tharyston where his brother lived.  He'd seen pictures of his brother's wife and he recognized her.  It was a happy meeting of these in-laws.  Mrs. Leslie took her brother-in-law home to await the return of her husband at the end of the day.  It was a merry time when the brothers met later that day and called for a party.  Sgt. Leslie O'NEAL, who is with the Army Medical Corps, has been in England for a long while and last March 8th, he married a pretty English girl. Madeline BROOKFIELD of Tharyston.  She comes from a nice family.  Her uncle is captain of one of the English ships that come to America.  He is frequently in New York and has invited Leslie's father to go up and visit him when he's in port.  (Dare County Times - Friday, May 19, 1944; pg. 7)


Funeral services for Dr. Walter Lee SWINDELL, 65, were held in Providence Methodist Church Wednesday morning at 11 o'clock with the Rev. C.W. GUTHRIE, pastor, officiating.  Interment was in the Robersonville Cemetery.  Rev. J.M. PERRY held the services at the grave.  Dr. SWINDELL passed away Monday afternoon following a short illness.  He was stricken several weeks ago apparently with a heart attack.  The Swan Quarter physician had spent most of his life practicing medicine in his native Hyde.  He studied medicine at the Baltimore Medicine College and took his internship in hospitals in New York and Connecticut.  Dr. SWINDELL was a son of the late Frank and Martha Fisher SWINDELL of Lake Landing.  He was married to Ethel CREIG of New Haven, Connecticut in 1910.  Surviving are his wife and two daughters, Mrs. John TYLER of Robersonville and Mrs. Harry JOHNSON of Martinsburg, West Virginia.  (Dare County Times - Friday, June 23, 1944; pg. 1)


Nine white men left Swan Quarter Monday for induction into the Army Monday morning.  They were Edward A. PEGRAM and Cornell GIBBS of Swan Quarter; Charlie Allen CARAWAN and Talmage C. CARAWAN of Scranton; Sam Barber O'NEAL of New Holland; Melvin W. WILLIAMS of Fairfield; Steve Monroe O'NEAL and James Daniels GARRISH, JR. [of Ocracoke]; and Walter Burrus "Tommie" MANN of Lake Landing.  (Dare County Times - Friday, June 23, 1944; pg. 2)


The flowers that bloom in our midst are never noticed so much as when they fade and their perfume is absent from the evening air.  The giant tree whose stately boughs spread forth and furnish shade on parching days is not so quickly noticed as when it is cut down.  We had come to take for granted the gentle life, the unselfish work, the loyal friendliness, and the overflowing hospitality and life of service of a noble soul like Dr. Arthur Graham HARRIS of Fairfield in Hyde County, who died this week.  It is hard to realize that he is dead, that we will not know the joys of his company again.  It seems only a matter of months since this great soul lost his life companion but he bore up nobly under the overwhelming loss and never ceased to render service to suffering humanity.  Almost to the day of his death he was in harness, serving his country.  Although he left two sons, we will look a long time to see such another man as Dr. HARRIS.  Dr. HARRIS and his wife were the perfect complement.  Each of them made the other complete and at their hospitable home in Fairfield they lived a full and happy life.  Garlands heaped on the grave of Dr. HARRIS now can add so little to the living flowers in the hearts of innumerable people who have shared the wealth of his kindly ministrations, his wholesome community service, and the good example of his moral life which extended far beyond his county's borders.  (Dare County Times - Friday, June 30, 1944; pg. 2)


Technician Fifth Grade William F. MCKINNEY, electric and acetylene welder, son of Mr. and Mrs. George R. McMINNEY of Swan Quarter, is with the 149th Ordanance Motor Vehicle Assembly Company, an outfit now operating for Peninsular Base Section that reduced the time of assembling urgently needed combat trucks from 25 man hours to 25 minutes.  (Dare County Times - Friday, June 30, 1944; pg. 4)


Mrs. Nancy Elizabeth SWINDELL, 71, a native of Swan Quarter who had made her home in Virginia 25 years past, died Sunday at Butts Station, Va. and was interred Tuesday in Riverside Cemetery in Norfolk.  She was a member of Oak Grove Methodist Church.  She was the daughter of the late John A. and Martha Swindell LEE and wife of the late George L. SWINDELL.  She is survived by two daughters: Mrs. R.V. WILLIAMS of Portsmouth and Mrs. Leonard KEMP of Butts Station; one son, R.B. SWINDELL of Virginia Beach; three half-brothers: T.W. LEE of Norfolk, J.A. LEE of Swan Quarter and G.F. LEE of Norfolk; 9 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 7, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for Mrs. Walter GIBBS, 75, were held at St. George's Episcopal Church Friday morning at 11 o'clock with the Rev. A.C.D. NOE, assisted by the Rev. F.D. DAVIS, officiating.  Interment was in the church cemetery.  Mrs. GIBBS, wife of a prominent Nebraska farmer, passed away Thursday morning about 2 o'clock following a short illness.  A daughter of the late D.M. and Sadie WATSON of Lake Landing, she had spent her entire life in Hyde County.  Surviving are her husband; one daughter, Mrs. Alton BAUM of Lake Landing; two sisters: Mrs. Bettie BRIDGMAN of Lake Landing and Mrs. Jim RICE of Henderson; one brother, Bob WATSON of Henderson.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 7, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for Dr. Arthur Graham HARRIS were held at the Fairfield Methodist Church Friday afternoon at 4 o'clock with the Rev. C.W. GUTHRIE, pastor, assisted by the Rev. E.R. STEWART, officiating.  Interment was in the Fairfield Cemetery.  Dr. HARRIS passed away Wednesday night in the Newport News, Virginia hospital following a short illness.  He had been connected with the medical department of the Newport News Shipbuilding Company for the past 15 months.  The years of work helping the sick in his native Hyde, his gentle character and his loyal community spirit endeared him in the harts of his neighbors.  He was widely known throughout the Albemarle, having lived at Manteo several years where he served the Dare CCC Camp as it physician.  While he resided at Fairfield he was often called to minister to the sick in Tyrrell County.  Surviving are two sons: Pvt. John G. HARRIS of Hunter Field, Ga. and Pvt. Arthur B. HARRIS of San Antonio, Texas; and a brother, Dr. M.M. HARRIS of Elizabeth City.  Masonic rites were conducted at the grave.  Floral tributes piled high on the grave as friends paid their last respects to one they had come to love and admire.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 7, 1944; pg. 1)


Miss Ruth FRAZLE, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.R. FRAZLE of Richlands, was married to Coleman DAVIS, son of Mrs. Orphia DAVIS and the late George DAVIS of Lake Landing, on Saturday, July 8, at the home in Lake Landing.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 14, 1944; pg. 1)


Miss Etha Mae GIBBS, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E.P. GIBBS of Engelhard, to John Anson MARSHALL, son of the late Mrs. MARSHALL of Engelhard, [married] on Monday, July 3.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 14, 1944; pg. 1)


Death entered the home of Mrs. M.D. SAWYER in Hyde July 6 at 4 a.m. and took from the home Elizabeth GREEN.  She had been in ill health for some time, having had a light stroke several weeks ago which she overcame but was stricken Thursday, June 29th, and succumbed 8 days later at the age of 80.  Having been born in September 1864, she had lived her entire life in this immediate vicinity.  Her husband died 10 years ago.  She is survived by one son, Ralph GREEN; four daughters: Mrs. C.G. SAWYER, Mrs. C.A. FLOWERS, Mrs. M.D. SAWYER, and Mrs. B.C. JENNETTE; several grandchildren and a number of nieces to mourn her loss.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 14, 1944; pg. 4)


William Clarence WILLIAMS, 52, took his own life Saturday afternoon by shooting his head off with a shotgun in his home at Leechville.  He had been in a despondent mood for some time and was reported to have made several previous attempts to take his life. Mr. WILLIAMS was a native of Fairfield. He had resided at Leechville for the past nine months, moving there from Pantego.  Surviving are his wife [not named]; four sons and three daughters [not named]. Funeral services were conducted Sunday afternoon at Mt. Olive Church in Ponzer. The Rev. A.J. MACKIE of Belhaven officiated. Interment was made in the church cemetery.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 21, 1944; pg. 1)


Miss Sabra Elizabeth MIDGETTE, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Tolbert MIDGETTE, and Seaman 1/c Cicero HEWITT, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Cicero HEWITT of Kinston, were married at Queen St. Methodist Church in Kinston on Saturday, July 8, with the Rev. Walter C. BALL, pastor, performing the ceremony. The bride is a granddaughter of J.T. MIDGETTE of Lake Landing. She was given in marriage by her father. The bridegroom had as his best man, his brother, Thomas F. HEWITT. The couple will make their home at Virginia Beach, Va. following a short wedding trip.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 21, 1944; pg. 3)


John WATSON, gunner's mate 1/c US Navy, home with his mother, Mrs. Fannie WATSON at Engelhard after 3 1/2 years in the South Pacific, said that the Japs are tough only when fighting on their terms.  He expressed the opinion that the war would not last long in the Pacific once the Allies put their full weight in that theatre.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 21, 1944; pg. 4)


W.B. GIBBS, 73, of Gum Neck, died at his home late Thursday afternoon.  He was a native of Hyde County but had made his home in Gum Neck for the past 20 years.  He had been in declining health for the past six months.  Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Mart [Martha?] Liverman GIBBS; a son, Odis L. GIBBS of Baltimore; and several grandchildren.  Funeral services were held at the graveside in the family cemetery near Engelhard on Saturday.  The Rev. J.T. BROWN of the Engelhard Christian Church officiated.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 21, 1944; pg. 4)


A pigmy rattler captured on Slades Creek, Currituck Township, Hyde County, was recently given to the State Museum by Harry PARKIN, Raleigh school boy, grandson of Mr. John C. CARAWAN of Sladesville.  The rattlesnake was 20 inches long.  A pigmy rattler was caught at Orton in Brunswick County last summer and given to the museum but it died recently when it went on a hunger strike.  Harry DAVIS, museum director, said that Hyde is the northernmost point at which a pigmy rattlesnake has been found.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 28, 1944; pg. 1)


    Two generals whose roots of ancestry are deep in the land of Hyde and Dare Counties are engaged on the Normandy front in the invasion of Europe.  Unknown to many people along the North Carolina coast, both the islands of Roanoke and Ocracoke can lay claim to top ranking officers as well as to many brave men in the ranks.  Ocracoke's gift to the Allied command is General Ira T. WYCHE whose mother was Lorena HOWARD of a prominent Ocracoke family and who married Lawrence Olen WYCHE, a Virginian who was teaching at Ocracoke.  General WYCHE was born on Ocracoke October 6, 1887.  He has many living close relatives at Ocracoke.  One of his sisters was the mother of Lawrence SIMPSON who lived at Hatteras for many years.  She married Fabius SIMPSON who is still living and a veteran of the first world war.
    Major General Robert Chauncey MACON is a close relative of the Meekins family of Roanoke Island.  In fact, his father was born Edw. Newton MEEKINS but going away in the Army, he changed his name to MACON and it was finally legalized as such.  Edward MACON died some years ago in Washington, DC, a retired soldier with the rank of Captain, having worked himself up through several commissions as a soldier from the ranks.  Major General Robert C. MACON has likewise worked himself up from the ranks and has a distinguished record in the service and has been decorated for bravery on the African front.  He was born July 12, 1890.  His mother was Edith BAILEY, a New England woman.  General MACON, in his boyhood, played with Ned ETHERIDGE and Will ETHERIDGE at the old Frank MEEKINS home place which was his father's boyhood home.  When old man Chauncey MEEKINS lived there it was famed for its hospitality.  Ned ETHERIDGE is now in the Coast Guard and Doctor Will is a University professor at Columbia University at Columbia, Missouri.  General MACON has a brother, Dr. Edward MACON, in Washington, DC, who occasionally visits Roanoke Island and has a strong affection for the place and its people.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 28, 1944; pg. 1)


Mrs. Edna CUTHRELL, manager of the Fairfield Bureau of the Hyde County Herald, is getting along nicely following a major operation which she underwent in the Columbia Hospital on July 10.  She expects to return home in about 10 days.  Mrs. CUTHRELL was taken ill upon completion of a course of study at the summer school of the College of Hampton Roads, Va., where she received training in the third and last periods of commercial subjects.  Mrs. CUTHRELL's sister, Mrs. J.L. TURNER of Newport News, has been by her bedside during her illness.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 28, 1944; pg. 6)


Mrs. Ethyl GIBBS of Scranton made more than $15 crabbing last week.  Mrs. GIBBS gets up at three in the morning and goes out to Fortescue's Creek near her home where she sets her line.  Her little grandsons help by dipping the crabs.  There are a number of people near Sladesville who are making nice profits for the few hours of work they do each day.  The price dropped a half-cent a pound last week but they still managed to make a profit.  A boat comes by and picks up the crabs and takes them to the plant in Belhaven.  (Dare County Times - Friday, July 28, 1944; pg. 8)


The infantile paralysis epidemic, which has spread across North Carolina and Virginia during the past two months, reached into Hyde County this week.  A little nine year old girl at Ponzer was rushed to Hickory for treatment after examination by Dr. D.E. FORD of the Beaufort Health Department.  The Hyde Health Department had no record of the case today because it was handled by the Beaufort department before the combining of the program of the two counties, but D.L. BERRY, local funeral director who took the little girl in his ambulance, said hospital physicians in Hickory entered her as a patient for the dreaded disease.  The name of the child was not available but the county welfare department said she was the child of Laura TALOE, Negro woman who lives near George SQUIRES' store at Ponzer.  Mr. BERRY took a Negro boy from Yeatesville who also was reported suffering from the disease.  The child was 7 or 8 years old and was the son of a Negro woman employed by John TANKARD, whose last name was RODMAN.  Few cases of polio have been reported in the Eastern section of the state.  Most of them have been in the central area.  Health officials urge parents to take precautions and keep their children from public gatherings.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 4, 1944; pg. 1)


Mr. and Mrs. Theadore GIBBS of Sladesville have plenty of the things that make life worthwhile although they possess little worldly wealth.  Plenty of homegrown food on the table all the time; a comfortable, although tiny and unpainted home; good neighbors; and independence is theirs.  "God helps them that helps themselves." says Mr. GIBBS, who had long since past the three score and ten years.  He points out that by hard work he and Mrs. GIBBS are able to produce a big variety of crops on their tiny 6-acre farm.  They have a nice garden from which they get vegetables that make possible nutritious meals.  They had a few rows of peanuts that will taste good next winter when the evenings are long and the stove is hot so that they can be parched and eaten hot.  Their young orchard furnished them with fruit.  While it is not yet producing in quantities large enough for canning and preserving, it affords delicious fruits to eat this season of the year.  The apples and grapes are ripe now and there have been plums and pears.  They have poultry which affords them fresh eggs and chicken for the table year around.  Several nice shoats run around in the hog pen.  A neighbor gave them to the GIBBS' when the mother hog died.  They nursed and fed them on milk from the family cow which provided them with rich milk and cream.  There is wood in the yard.  It came from the little pine thicket on their 6 acres.  More will be cut and made ready for the winter.  Little wealth is theirs when measured in terms of worldly goods but they have the things that make for happiness.  Mr. and Mrs. GIBBS are well known in their community and throughout Hyde County.  They are know by neighbors as "Mr. Thead" and "Miss Ethyl".  Mr. GIBBS is a native of Lake Landing but has lived in his wife's home town for more than 30 years.  Mrs. GIBBS is widely known.  She is the former candidate for sheriff of Hyde County and now managed the Hyde County Herald's Sladesville news and subscription bureau.  She dresses in pants and wears her hair in a man-like bob.  She is much younger than her husband.  Life is indeed good to the GIBBS'.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 4, 1944; pg. 6)


Mr. and Mrs. H.G. GUTHRIE left this week for Reynolds where Mr. GUTHRIE will be principal of the school.  The couple had lived in Swan Quarter two years where Mr. GUTHRIE was principal of the school.  He had recently been employed by the Berry Company.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 11, 1944; pg. 7)


Lt. Linwood CUTHRELL, 28, son of Mr. and Mrs. G.C. CUTHRELL of Middletown, was recently promoted from second lieutenant to first lieutenant.  Lt. CUTHRELL is with American troops in France.  The Middletown boy was inducted into the service January 1942.  He won promotions quickly and was given an opportunity for officers training.  He studied to be an officer in artillery at Fort Sill, Oklahoma where he was commissioned a second lieutenant.  He participated in the North African campaign.  He was stationed in England prior to the invasion of Europe.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 18, 1944; pg. 4)


Sgt. C. Rouse LUPTON, JR., son of Mr. and Mrs. C. Rouse LUPTON of Swan Quarter, was killed in action in England August 6th according to word received in a telegram from the War Dept. Tuesday.  Sgt. LUPTON was a gunner in the Air Force and had been in England for only a short while.  He was sent abroad the first of July.  Details of how he was killed are not known.  The Swan Quarter boy was born January 31, 1921.  He attended Swan Quarter High School and graduated in 1937.  He attended State College in 1938 and studied to be a pilot at the Presbyterian College in Maxton in 1942 and received his private flying license.  He entered the Army in June 1943 and trained at Keesler Field, Mississippi and Scott Field, Illinois.  He received his gunner's wings at Harlinger, Texas and took his combat training at Davis-Monthan Field in Tucson, Arizona.  Surviving are his parents and one brother, Rhodes. who is with the U.S. Navy.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 25, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for Mrs. Nancy CREDLE, 87, of Sladesville, were held at the Sladesville Methodist Church Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock with the Rev. C.W. GUTHRIE, pastor, officiating.  Interment was in the church cemetery.  Mrs. CREDLE passed away at the home of her daughter Friday afternoon at 1:30.  She was one of the oldest residents of her community.  Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. Nancy CREDLE of Sladesville; and four grandchildren: Mrs. H.L. PRITCHETT, Miss Evelyn CREDLE, and Norwood CREDLE, all of Norfolk, Va., and Mervis CREDLE of the U.S. armed services.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 25, 1944; pg. 1)


Miss Annie Jo DAVIS, attractive young daughter of Mrs. Charles M. GODARD of Natchez, Mississippi, became the bride of Staff Sergeant Ben S. CREDLE, son of Mr. and Mrs. Nat CREDLE of Swan Quarter, stationed at Camp Van Dorn, Mississippi, at a ceremony Sunday in the Natchez Jefferson Street Methodist Church.  Dr. Henry M. BULLOCK, pastor, officiated.  Sgt. and Mrs. CREDLE left and came to Swan Quarter to spend their honeymoon on a visit with his parents.  Mrs. CREDLE will make her home with her parents while her husband is stationed at Camp Van Dorn, which is near Natchez.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 25, 1944; pg. 1)

(From the Hyde County Herald)

The Herald joins the neighbors of Mr. and Mrs. C. Rouse LUPTON of Swan Quarter in offering sympathies as they mourn the death of their son, Charlie Rouse Jr. in the European war.  It is hard to find words to write on an occasion like this.  We simply say our sympathies go out to you.  The price of war is heavy.  The burden of it falls especially hard on the shoulders of those who must give loved ones.  There is but one consolation to those who lose so heavily.  The soldiers have died fighting that the men of tomorrow will not have to go through the hell of war or give their sons in the blood of battle.  Whether or not this will come to pass, no one knows, but should it, all mankind of the future will be indebted to them.  Regardless of what goes on here in the world, they rest in peace beneath the soil marked by rows of white crosses.  They cannot be disturbed by worldly upheavals.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 25, 1944; pg. 2)


The Norview Methodist Church was the setting on Saturday afternoon, August 5 at 4:30, for the marriage of Miss Marie Christine WILKINS, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earl WILKINS, to Lt. Vernon Lupton SAWYER, son of Mr. and Mrs. Claude L. SAWYER of Swan Quarter.  The double-ring ceremony was performed by Rev. L.R. BLACK, pastor of the Ocean View Methodist Church.  Mrs. Edward Carter BURRUS was the matron of honor and the bride's only attendant.  Edward Carter BURRUS was best man.  The ushers were Reginald LUPTON, cousin of the groom, and Lt. W.P. COLLINS.  After the ceremony Mr. and Mrs. SAWYER left for a short wedding trip and will reside in Columbia, S.C. where Lt. SAWYER is stationed.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 25, 1944; pg. 3)


Mr. and Mrs. S.S. JENNETTE saved only a part of their household furnishings and belongings when their home burned when struck by lightning Wednesday, August 16th.  Provision in the family store-room, including 500 quarts of canned goods, were lost in the blaze.  Mr. and Mrs. JENNETTE, Mrs. Joe WILLIAMS and Mrs. and Mrs. Charles AYERS were in the house when lightning struck but the house was blazing before they knew what happened.  Mrs. JENNETTE and Mrs. AYERS were unable to fight the fire on the second floor it was so far advanced when they discovered it.  Some furniture and belongings on the lower floor were saved, but some of this was ruined in the rain.  Mrs. M.L. WINDLEY who was on her way to Belhaven stopped and helped save some of the things.  An airplane circled and went to Sladesville and attempted to attract attention but without success.  Sladesville folk have already started making donations to help the couple rebuild.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 25, 1944; pg. 4)


S.E. SELBY, native of Tiny Oak who has been teaching at the Richmond County Training School in Ellerbee, recently took the position of agriculture teacher at the Hyde County Training School at Sladesville, filling the vacancy left last year by the induction of B.W. BARNES into service.  SELBY is a graduate of A. & T. College in Greensboro.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 25, 1944; pg. 4)


Mr. and Mrs. Leroy SAWYER announce the birth of a son, Roger Allen, Sunday, August 13 at Tayloe Hospital in Washington, N.C.  (Dare County Times - Friday, August 25, 1944; pg. 4)


Lt. Edward D. MANNING, field artillery officer, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Fletcher MANNING of Ponzer, was killed in action August 8th the War Department has informed his wife and parents.  The message was received Sunday.  Lt. MANNING was wounded August 6th.  He died in a hospital in France August 8th.  The young Hyde County man enlisted 5 years ago and climbed through the ranks to become an officer.  He took his officers training at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.  He had been overseas 4 months.  His wife is the former Catherine BASS of Fayetteville.  She is visiting the MANNING's at their Ponzer home.  The news of the young Hyde County man came 5 days after Mr. and Mrs. Rouse LUPTON of Swan Quarter were informed of the death of their son, Rouse, Jr., who was killed in action in England.  Several Hyde County men have been reported wounded in action.  The casualty list of Hyde County men has suddenly grown longer as the tempo of the war increases.  Mrs. Lonnie GIBBS of Engelhard has been informed that her son, Pvt. Woodroe GIBBS, and her brother, Pvt. Heliva SMITH, have both been wounded in the fighting in Italy.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 1, 1944; pg. 1)


Mrs. Ella Mae BRICKHOUSE, native of Swan Quarter, was fatally birned at her home in Hickory, Va. about noon Wednesday, August 23.  Origin of the fire was not known but her husband, Matthew BRICKHOUSE, suspects her dress caught fire while she was starting a wood fire in preparation to cooking dinner.  She died in a Norfolk hospital at 12:55 Friday, August 25.  Funeral services for the 44-year old Hyde County woman were held Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock at Graham Funeral Home, South Norfolk.  Besides her husband, she is survived by one daughter, Mrs. J.A. VANN of Hickory, Va.; three sons: Walter L. and Johnny M. BRICKHOUSE of Hickory, Va. and James E. BRICKHOUSE of the Merchant Marine service; one brother, J.H. BRICKHOUSE of Wilmington; one niece and one nephew.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 1, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for Dr. Marion M. HARRIS, SR., a native of Hyde County, were held at his home in Elizabeth City Sunday, August 27.  Burial was in Hollywood cemetery.  Dr. HARRIS, a practicing dentist in Elizabeth City for more than 34 years, before his retirement more than 4 years ago because of illness, died Friday afternoon at 4:25.  Dr. HARRIS was a Mason and a member of the First Methodist Church of Elizabeth City.  Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Margaret S. HARRIS; four sons [only 3 named]: Dan S. HARRIS, M.M. HARRIS, JR., and Graham C. HARRIS, all of Elizabeth City; one daughter, Mrs. Leith REPPERT of Seattle, Washington; and four grandchildren.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 1, 1944; pg. 1)


Mr. and Mrs. Ranzy BERRY, who have been living in Norfolk for the past few years where Mr. BERRY was employed, have moved back to their home in Engelhard.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 1, 1944; pg. 1)


Pfc. Delanson F. WILCOX, JR., husband of Mrs. Sibyle Midgette WILCOX of Middletown, has received the Purple Heart for wounds received in the invasion of France.  Pfc. WILCOX is the son of Capt. and Mrs. D.F. WILCOX of Kinston.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 1, 1944; pg. 1)


Nelia WESTON, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S.W. WESTON, stationed with the Wac's at San Bernadino, California, has recently been promoted from corporal to sergeant.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 1, 1944; pg. 2)


The Capt. R.B. BURRUS family of Swan Quarter have moved to Belhaven again to make it their home.  It is the second time they have lived in Belhaven.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 1, 1944; pg. 2)


Robert Francis ZABAWA, 14, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lois [Louis?] ZABAWA of Ida, Michigan, died recently from injuries received when an automobile struck the bike he was riding , according to information received by Engelhard friends.  A young brother riding with him was slightly injured.  Young ZABAWA's mother was formerly Miss Mae NIXON of Engelhard.  The family had lived in Hyde County at one time.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 8, 1944; pg. 1)


Born to Mr. and Mrs. Curtis DUNBAR, a son, David Jay, August 29, 1944.  Mother and baby are getting along fine.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 8, 1944; pg. 4)


Miss Florine GIBBS of Fairfield became the bride of Harold V. JOYNER, SK 2/c of Raleigh, in a double-ring ceremony of August 29 in the North Vanguard Presbyterian Church in Raleigh.  The Rev. Leslie A. THOMPSON performed the ceremony.  The bride, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Merritt GIBBS of Norfolk, Va. and formerly of Fairfield, graduated from Fairfield High School and Norfolk Business College.  For the past year she had been employed at the Norfolk Naval Base.  Harold V. JOYNER, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.M. BAREFOOT, of Raleigh, graduated from Needham Broughton High School.  before entering the service he was employed by Seaboard Airline Railway.  After September 4 they will make their home in Albany, California where Mr. JOYNER will be stationed.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 8, 1944; pg. 7)


Captain Harold D. HAMPTON [listed as "Hamilton" in the headline], former Army sergeant with the CCC at Belle's Island, Hyde County, who married a Swan Quarter girl, Miss Iola Mae LEE, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.A. LEE, is inventor of the welding screen for which Ordnance personnel the world over are indebted.  The welding screen which Capt. HAMPTON invented at Reardon Arsenal, N.J. in 1939, keeps down the glare of welding and yet is light and compact enough for traveling.  It provides complete vision protection for personnel working in the vicinity.  The officer-inventor has a 16 year service record with the Field Artillery originally for eight and a half years, he entered the Ordnance Department in 1937.  He received his commission as an officer in 1942.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 8, 1944; pg. 8)


Alvah MIDGETTE, U.S. Army, has returned from overseas and is a patient in a government hospital in Asheville.  MIDGETTE is the son of Mrs. Addie MIDGETTE of Engelhard.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 15, 1944; pg. 1)


Normandy-bound armored vehicles are given 15-minute shatterproof windshield replacement service at a U.S. Army Ordnance depot in England where skilled soldier glass-workers have ground out and polished an estimated half-million windshield glasses in the past year.  Work in the only "G.I" glass shop in southern England, Corporal Erdis Leon LEWIS, 27, of Fairfield, N.C., is one of the soldiers who is helping to turn out windshields, anti-dazzle headlight glasses, lenses for welding goggles, dials for instrument panels, protection guards for grinders and any other glass accessories.  Corporal LEWIS is the husband of Mrs. Alma LEWIS and the son of Mr. and Mrs. W.E. LEWIS, all of Fairfield.  He was a graduate of Engelhard High School and has been in the Army for two years.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 15, 1944; pg. 2)


Tom and Elgie CREDLE of the Bell Store community in Currituck township won't go hungry anytime soon.  They had a good garden this year and Elgie did a lot of canning.  The family has canned 610 quarts this year and has 80 quarts left out of 700 canned last year.  They expect to can an additional 100 quarts this year which will give them a total of 800 quarts.  Besides canning all of this food, Tom and Elgie supplied a family of 7 with vegetables and sold $23 worth of garden produce.  They credit their success with their garden to persistence.  They planted regularly regardless of weather, and worked hard.  They bought a $5.50 package of Victory Garden seed which gave them a big supply of seed for the year.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 15, 1944; pg. 6)


Pfc. Nathaniel GIBBS, son of Letha GIBBS of Lake Landing, died in an Algeria hospital September 5th of accidental gunshot wounds, his mother was informed this week by the War Dept.  Pvt. GIBBS is the first Negro, as far as we could learn, that has been killed in this war.  He was with transportation corps and before he entered the Army he was employed as a farm hand by Mrs. Eunice MIDGETTE.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 22, 1944; pg. 1) 


Lt. George WATSON, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.W. WATSON of Lake Landing, is a member of the 83rd Infantry Division of the newly organized 9th Army which Monday took part in the capture of Germany's "Lost Army" of some 20,000 men trying to make their way from the Spanish border to their homeland.  The surrender of the Germans took place on the southern banks of the Loire River in France.  Mr. and Mrs. WATSON have kept up with Lt. WATSON's outfit through the news columns.  They have been pretty well informed about his whereabouts all the time, even though censorship has not permitted him to reveal his location.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 22, 1944; pg. 2)


(Dare County Times - Friday, September 29, 1944; pg. 2)


The marriage of Miss Winifred Curtis GIBBS of Swan Quarter and Millard Warn ACKISS of Norfolk was solemnized on September 10 at the home of the Rev. G.C. BLAND in Norfolk.  Mrs. ACKISS is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B. Solon GIBBS of Swan Quarter.  Mr. ACKISS is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Clandis D. ACKISS of Princess Anne, Va. and holds a position at the Pungo Air Station.  The bridal couple left after the ceremony for Washington, DC and the Blue Ridge Mountains where they will spend a few days.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 29, 1944; pg. 2)


Among those leaving the Engelhard section recently to enter college are Miss Gwen MARSHALL, Brevard College; Misses Camilla SELBY, Oline DAVIS, Mary Elizabeth MIDGETTE, Nancy CUTHRELL, Ruth JOHNSON and Berthan JOHNSON, East Carolina Teacher's College; Miss Faye SILVERTHORNE, Atlantic Christian College; and George LONG, Louisburg College.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 29, 1944; pg. 2)


The Primitive Baptist at Rose Bay held their semi-annual meeting in the new church building located just off Highway 264 on the Turnpike Road September 9th and 10th.  The building which has not yet been completed is the result of efforts of church members who have received help from many friends.  The building was moved to Rose Bay from Mason's Point, formerly a strong church but one which has seen its congregation grow smaller in recent years.  The members agreed to let the building be moved to Rose Bay where it would be better located to serve a larger number of members.  W.T. HOWARD of New Holland is credited as being most instrumental in getting permission to move the Mason's Point building.  The Rose Bay church was organized in May 1940.  It had no church building until now.  Meeting were held in temporary quarters through the courtesies of others in the community.  W.D. DANIELS is prominent among those who contributed to the success of the institution.  Among those attending the meeting on the 9th and 10th of this month were Elder P.E. GETSINGER, pastor of Smithwick's Creek church in Martin County, together with a number of members from that church: Elder Robert E. JOHNSON of Four Oaks; Licentiate A.J. CARTER of Caswell County, and also their regular pastor, Elder O.S. YOUNG of Angier.  Regular services are held each month on Saturday before the second Sunday at 2 o'clock in the afternoon and on Sunday at 11 a.m. War Saving Time.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 29, 1944; pg. 2)


The members of Watkins Chapel are making plans to rebuild the church which was flattened by the storm the 14th of September.  The men of the neighborhood met Tuesday and Wednesday, Sept. 19th and 20th to clear away the debris.  They took apart and sorted material to see what could be used in the rebuilding.  The women met and served a picnic dinner for them at the clubhouse both days.  It was more a community meet than denominational as both men and women of other denominations net and worked with the Methodist's in the same friendly, brotherly spirit that has long been an established custom of the Nebraska people.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 29, 1944; pg. 4)


Thad GIBBS, 54 year old North Lake man, died suddenly at his home last Wednesday night.  GIBBS had worked in the field the day of his death and had spent the evening at the store.  Funeral services were held at the home Friday afternoon.  Burial was in the family plot.  (Dare County Times - Friday, September 29, 1944; pg. 4)


Pfc. Norwood SAWYER, who was reared and lived in Hyde County until 3 years ago, when he moved to Tyrrell, was home for a 15-day furlough last week.  He was in the battle of France and was wounded in his left leg in three places on June 9th.  He was returned to the U.S. August 13 and came home for a visit with his family.  While here he and Miss Hazel SWAIN, daughter, of Mr. and Mrs. Levy SWAIN were married on September 26, at South Mills by Justice of the Peace J.G. ETHERIDGE.  Pfc. SAWYER left Saturday, October 7th, to report to Camp Atterbury, Ind. where he will go in the hospital for an operation.  His young wife will continue to make her home in Tyrrell County with her parents.  (Tyrrell Times - October 1944; pg. 1)


Bill MORRIS, machinist's mate 1/c, is visiting his mother, Mrs. Dena MORRIS, in Belhaven and friend and relatives at Ponzer.  MORRIS has just returned from the European theatre of war where he took part in the invasion of Normandy and southern France.  The young man joined the Navy in 1939.  He was at Pearl Harbor when the Japs made their sneak attack on that outpost and since that time has taken part in many battles.  War is a grim business, he says, and he, like most everyone else, will be glad to see it over.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 6, 1944; pg. 4)


Naval Aviation Cadet George E. MIDGETT of Engelhard had completed the course of physical conditioning and ground school work at the U.S. Navy Pre-Flight School here.  He has been selected to continue in the pilot program and has been ordered to the Naval Air Aviation in Memphis, Tennessee to begin progressive flight training preparatory to joining a combat unit.  MIDGETT, son of Mr. and Mrs. P.D. MIDGETT, JR., graduated from Engelhard High School in 1941 and attended The Citadel for two years.  He completed Naval Flight Preparatory Scholl at Columbia, S.C. and reported here from the CAA War Training Service School in Macon, Ga.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 6, 1944; pg. 6)


Swan Quarter -- Born to Mr. and Mrs. Leonard SMITH, a daughter, Gloria Jean, September 27th at Fowle Memorial Hospital.

Red Springs -- Rev. and Mrs. Henry G. RUARK of Red Springs, announce the birth of a daughter, Rena Westbrook, Sept. 17.  Mrs. RUARK is the niece of the late Mrs. A.G. HARRIS, SR. of Fairfield for whom the baby was named.

Greensboro -- Mr. and Mrs. Allen WILKINSON announce the birth of a daughter, Beverly Ann, on Sept. 30 in Greensboro.  Mrs. WILKINSON is the former Miss Mary Anna BROWN of Swan Quarter.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 6, 1944; pg. 6)


Dan BERRY, Swan Quarter funeral director, spoke to the Engelhard Rotary Club Thursday evening on operating a funeral home in a rural.  Mr. BERRY, pioneer in funeral directing in Hyde County, told fellow Rotarians that one of the big problems of burying the dead was getting the families to understand that close cooperation between then and the director is needed.  The Hyde County man explained that the profession of preparing the bodies for burial and putting them away was one of the oldest professions.  He also explained some of the means of embalming.  Mr. BERRY said the name "undertaker", once applied to his profession and even used by many laymen today, is no longer claimed by those who work at it.  He said he was engaged in "funeral directing".  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 6, 1944; pg. 6)


The fall term of Superior Court will convene in Hyde County Monday, October 16 with Judge Q.N. NIMOCKS, JR. of Fayetteville presiding.  The following divorce actions are scheduled to be heard by the court: Elijah GRAY, colored, vs. Polly GRAY, colored, and Richard GASKILL vs. Elizabeth GASKILL.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 6, 1944; pg. 8)


Mrs. Louisanna SADLER, 89, of Currituck Township, passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Will SPENCER, Wednesday morning at 5:30 following a short illness.  Mrs. SADLER was one of the oldest citizens of Hyde County.  Born in Swan Quarter in 1855, the daughter of W.G. JARVIS and Elizabeth JARVIS, Mrs. SADLER had lived all her life in Hyde County.  She was a cheerful character and had a wide circle of friends.  Funeral services were held at the home Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock.  Interment was in the Williams' cemetery.  Surviving are two daughters: Mrs. Will SPENCER and Mrs. Dave SPENCER, both of Scranton.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 13, 1944; pg. 8)


Clay GIBBS and Enis COOPER, neighbors of the North Lake community, each charged in warrants sworn out by the other with assault with a deadly weapon, were each fined $5 and costs by Judge E.S. FISHER in County Court Monday.  They found out that it is costly to get involved in lawsuits and that it is best to live neighborly.  GIBBS and COOPER argued over some wood which COOPER cut on GIBBS' land.  A melee followed in which both men assaulted the other with a deadly weapon.  GIBBS threatened COOPER with a shotgun although he denied the charge. COOPER pleaded guilty to striking GIBBS with a piece of wood.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 13, 1944; pg. 8)


Funeral services for Capt. Thomas M. CREDLE, 75, were held at the home at Swan Quarter Friday afternoon with the Rev. C.W. GUTHRIE officiating.  The Masonic lodge had charge of the services at the graveside in Soule Cemetery.  "Capt. Tommie", as he was familiarly known around Hyde's county seat where he was well-known and highly regarded, died at his home Thursday morning.  He was stricken suddenly Wednesday morning.  His health had been failing for some time.  Capt. CREDLE had been court crier in Hyde County for 10 years or more.  Courthouse observers missed him when Superior Court convened Monday and he was not in his usual place.  Surviving are his wife [not named]; two daughters: Mrs. Jay BRITTON of Conway and Mrs. S.R. WILLIAMS of Swan Quarter; three sons: M.T. CREDLE of St. Clair, Pa., E.T. CREDLE of Utica, New York, and B.L. CREDLE of Newport News, Va.; and five grandsons.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 20, 1944; pg. 1)


Capt. William Ed. BELL, 68, native of the Scranton section of Hyde County and highly respected citizen of Washington, died early Saturday morning in a Washington hospital.  He had been in failing health for several months.  "Capt. Ed" as he was familiarly known, was born February 6, 1876 in the Scranton section of Hyde County, son of the late Frank M. and Lodena BELL.  He went to Washington a number of years ago and operated a boat there.  He was registrar for the Washington Park precinct for a number of years and was a staunch Democrat  He served for the past several years as an oyster inspector for the State.  Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock at the Paul Funeral Home with the Rev. G. Curtis JONES, pastor of the First Christian Church, officiating.  Burial was in Oakdale Cemetery with the Masons in charge of the graveside.  Surviving are his wife [not named] and a host of relatives.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 20, 1944; pg. 1)


Pvt. Joseph W. CUTHRELL of Fairfield, mortar gunner, is a member of the 350th Infantry Division units which paced Lt. General Mark W. CLARK's 5th Army smash from the Garigliano to north of the Arno River in Italy.  Men of the 350th, hardened mountain fighters, went into action in early March and during the drive up the peninsula, skipped cities and town to capture innumerable strategic heights which paved the way for the 5th Army units.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 20, 1944; pg. 1)


Miss Charlotte MARSHALL of Engelhard, and Cpl. Royden NEAL of Engelhard and the Army Air Base in Spokane, Washington, were married at the Amity Methodist Church at Lake Landing Tuesday evening, October 17th at 7:00.  The Rev. F.D. DAVIS officiated.  The ceremony was performed in the presence of a few relatives and friends in the beautiful old church which was decorated with autumn flowers and potted plants.  Mrs. W.J. BOSMAN of Fernandina, Florida, an aunt of the groom, was matron of honor and B.J. MIDGETTE was best man.  Mrs. NEAL is the daughter of Mrs. S.S. MARSHALL and the late Mr. MARSHALL.  Corporal NEAL, the son of Mr. and Mrs. S.S. NEAL, is serving as crew chef at Geiger Field, Washington where he had been stationed for the past 18 months.  After a short wedding trip they will leave for Washington where they will reside.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 20, 1944; pg. 3)


S-1/c Carolyn V. GUFFEY of Indianapolis, Indiana and the U.S. Naval Air Station in Norfolk, Va., became the bride of Joshua V. GIBBS of Swan Quarter and Norfolk, Saturday, October 14th at 10:30 a.m. in the First Christian Church, Norfolk, Va.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 20, 1944; pg. 4)


Mrs. Julia Spencer BURRUS of Engelhard quietly observed her 89th birthday Wednesday, October 25th.  She received many cards and gifts from friends and relatives.  Mrs. BURRUS was born at Sladesville but moved to Engelhard when only 10 years old.  After the death of her husband, the late Taylor BURRUS, she made her home in Washington County with her brother, the late Thomas SPENCER, returning to Hyde County after his death.  She now lives with her brother's daughters, Mrs. D.B. WATSON and Mrs. George MIDYETTE at the home of Mrs. WATSON.  Mrs. BURRUS enjoys good health.  She spent her birthday talking and laughing with neighbors who dropped by to wish her many returns of the day.  She has one brother, Ben SPENCER, who lives at Lake Landing.  (Dare County Times - Friday, October 27, 1944; pg. 2)


Miss Elizabeth GARRISH, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leon GARRISH of Scranton, became the bride of John CARSON of Scranton and Bethel, in a ceremony in the Methodist parsonage in Swan Quarter on Saturday, October 28, 1944.  Mr. CARSON is a teacher in the Sladesville community.  (Dare County Times - Friday, November 3, 1944; pg. 2)


Roy GIBBS, seaman 2/c, a deserter from the U.S. Navy, was taken at Engelhard Saturday by Patrolman Carl WHITFIELD.  GIBBS deserted the service several months ago while on the west coast.  The Hyde County boy did not have his uniform on at the time he was taken.  He was arrested near the Engelhard waterfront where he had just tied up his boat.  He has been engaged in oystering.  GIBBS married a Hatteras girl, Marlinia SMITH.  He was living at Hatteras at the time he entered the service.  He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charlie GIBBS of Engelhard.  Patrolman WHITFIELD took the young man to naval authorities in Elizabeth City Monday.  (Dare County Times - Friday, November 24, 1944; pg. 1)


The wedding of Miss Dorothy LONG of Engelhard and Norfolk, Va. and Lt. William Rodger QUINN, USNR, of Howard, South Dakota, was solemnized Monday afternoon, November 27, at 4 o'clock.  The Rev. J.T. BROWN, pastor of the Engelhard Christian Church, officiated.  Mrs. Nathaniel BARRETT was her sister's matron of honor.  Lt. QUINN has as his best man Dr. J.W. MILLER.  Mrs. QUINN is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.M. LONG of Engelhard.  She attended Louisburg College.  She was employed at the Naval Hospital in Norfolk, Va. before her marriage.  Lt. QUINN is the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Rodger QUINN, SR. of Howard, South Dakota.  He is a graduate of the University of South Dakota and took post graduate studies at Notre Dame University.  he was an engineer before entering the Navy.  (Dare County Times - Friday, December 1, 1944; pg. 1)


Mr. and Mrs. Julian E. MANN announce the birth of a daughter, Katherine Hendrix, on November 9 at Rex Hospital.  Mr. MANN is a native of Middletown, Hyde County.  (Dare County Times - Friday, December 1, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for Mrs. Lizzie McClaud MURRAY, 69, were held Tuesday morning at 11 o'clock at St. George's Episcopal Church with the Rev. A.C.D. NOE of Bath officiating.  Interment was in the church cemetery.  Mrs. MURRAY passed away at her home in Lake Landing Monday morning at 9 o'clock following an illness of several weeks.  She had been in failing health for a number of years.  Mrs. MURRAY was liked by a host of friends and neighbors who will mourn her passing.  She was a member of St. George's Episcopal Church.  Surviving are her husband, T.R. MURRAY; four daughters: Miss Mollie MURRAY of Lake Landing, Mrs. Ingram GOUD of Portsmouth, Mr.s B.B. FULFORD of Engelhard, and Mrs. Bill EWELL of New Bern; and one sister, Miss Jennie McCLAUD of New Holland.  Pallbearers were W.W. PAYNE, Jim NIXON, Dewitte LAVENDER, J.D. SILVERTHORNE, Charlie PAYNE, and Tom YOUNG.  (Dare County Times - Friday, December 1, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for Mrs. Bertie Sawyer JENNETTE, 63, of Sladesville, were held Sunday afternoon, November 19th, at Epworth Methodist Church with the Rev. J.C. CHAFFIN, pastor, officiating.  Interment was in the church cemetery.  Mrs. JENNETTE passed away Friday night, November 17th, in a Washington hospital.  She had been in failing health for some time.  Her condition became critical a few weeks ago.  Sladesville loses a good citizen with the passing of Mrs. JENNETTE, as does Epworth Methodist Church of which she was an active member.  Surviving are her husband, S.S. JENNETTE; four daughters: Mrs. Thomas BRUMSEY of Currituck, Mrs. Elving NEWBERN of Norfolk, Mrs. Theodore JONES of Florida, and Mrs. Charles AYRES of Sladesville; one son, Staff Sgt. S.S. JENNETTE, JR., U.S. Army stationed in England; one sister, Mrs. Emma CAMPEN of Norfolk; one brother, H.G. SAWYER of Fortescue's Creek; one half-brother [not named] of Fortescue's Creek; 3 grandchildren and a number of nieces and nephews.  (Dare County Times - Friday, December 1, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for Charles HARRIS, 78, were conducted at the home near Swan Quarter Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock with the Rev. J.P. CHAFFIN, assisted by the Rev. C.W. GUTHRIE, officiating.  Interment was in Soule Cemetery.  Mr. HARRIS passed away at his home Thursday evening at 6:30.  Death came after a short illness.  Mr. HARRIS, a life long resident of Hyde County, was born October 27, 1866, the son of Seth HARRIS and Susan Swindell HARRIS of Fairfield.  He was a farmer and land owner in Swan Quarter township.  Surviving are his wife [not named]; one daughter, Mrs. Blount CREDLE of Swan Quarter; two sons: Leon HARRIS of Swan Quarter and Frank HARRIS with the Army overseas; two brothers: R.G. HARRIS of Pantego and D.W. HARRIS of Swan Quarter; and one sister [not named].  (Dare County Times - Friday, December 22, 1944; pg. 1)


John JARVIS, 66 year-old Swan Quarter farmer, passed away Saturday evening at 6:30 in the Columbia Hospital following a long illness.  Mr. JARVIS was a life-long resident of Hyde County.  Surviving are his wife, Mollie D. JARVIS; two daughters: Mrs. Nellie McKINNEY of Scranton and Mrs. Mary Etta McKINNEY of Swan Quarter; and three sons: John W. JARVIS and Jessie JARVIS of Swan Quarter, and David JARVIS with the Navy serving overseas.  Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the home near Swan Quarter.  Interment was in the family plot.  (Dare County Times - Friday, December 22, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for Mrs. John NEAL, 61, were held Tuesday morning at 11 o'clock at the home near Fairfield with the Rev. Walter ARMSTRONG officiating.  Interment was in Fairfield Cemetery.  Mrs. NEAL passed away Christmas night about 12 o'clock.  She had been ill for many months.  Surviving are her husband; one son, Edward NEAL of Hickory, Va.; one daughter, Mrs. Otis CARAWAN, also of Hickory; her mother, Mrs. M. CUTHRELL; and two sisters: Mrs. Maggie BLAKE of Norfolk and Mrs. N. DANIELS of Fairfield.  (Dare County Times - Friday, December 29, 1944; pg. 1)


Funeral services for Mrs. Lula MASON, 72, were held at the graveside at the cemetery at Oyster Creek near Swan Quarter on Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock with the Rev. J.C. CHAFFIN officiating.  She was laid to rest beside her husband, the late Charles L. MASON.  Mrs. MASON passed away in a Washington hospital Monday night.  She had spent most of her life at Swan Quarter.  She was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Robert HARRIS.  Surviving are two sons: C.D. MASON of Washington and J.D. MASON of Williamston; one daughter, Mrs. Walter WRIGHT of Washington; and 5 grandchildren.  (Dare County Times - Friday, December 29, 1944; pg. 1)


Return to Hyde County News

Return to Hyde County Home Page