Some Descendants of
Henry Gibbs, Sr.
of Hyde Co., NC
(Generations 1 & 2)
On this and the linked pages will be posted information on several generations of the family of Henry Gibbs, Sr. and his wife Ann (Spencer?) Gibbs of Hyde Co., NC. Since the Gibbs family is so large and is connected by marriage to many other early Hyde families, it will be beneficial to compile what information is available on these early generations before proceeding to the large extended family. If you would like to contribute information to be posted here, you may wish to contact me. Any and all additions and/or corrections are welcome. Also welcome are wills, estates, deeds, court records, etc., on these early Gibbs. Your assistance is needed and appreciated. Please keep in mind that the below information is not set in stone, but is being posted here to help get everyone started. Thanks.
GENERATION # 1
Henry (1) Gibbs, Sr., died between 1759-1763; married Ann (Spencer ?), daughter of Thomas Spencer and sister of William Spencer. Ann died after 1763 will of Henry (1) Gibbs.
GENERATION # 2
1. Henry (2) Gibbs, died 16 February 1773-December Term 1777 [Will]; married Jane (Spencer ?)
2. Joseph (2) Gibbs, Sr. (1), born ca. 1720; married ca. 1740 to Mary Brinson in Hyde County, NC., daughter of Cason Brinson (ca.1693-ca.1769) and Frances Marsh (ca.1695-aft1765). Mary was born in Princess Anne County, VA abt. 1728. Joseph died in Hyde County, NC after 16 March 1793.
3. William (2) Gibbs, Sr. (1), died March-May 1780 married by 1750 to Cassandria Selby, died after March 1780, daughter of Samuel Selby, Sr. and Elizabeth (Unknown).
4. Robert (2) Gibbs, Sr. (1), died 24 October 1793; married #1 1750-1760 to Judith Lockhart, daughter John Lockhart of Norfolk County, Virginia [Will dated 1749]; married #2 ca.1790 Mrs. Rachel (Adams) Rascoe.
5. Thomas (2) Gibbs (1), married Gilly (Unknown)
6. Benjamin (2) Gibbs (1), married Mary Selby (?)
7. Mary (2) Gibbs, married Anthony (?) Tuley by 1759
8. Sarah (2) Gibbs, married John Jennett (III), (1726-1774) by 1754 
9. Rebekah (2) Gibbs, married Abraham Jones
10. Percillea (2) Gibbs, married Jacob Tuley by 1759
Henry's 1759 Will also mentions:
Granddaughter Sarah Lockhart (probably the wife of John Lockhart), and Grandson Henry Gibbs. These two grandchildren were probably the children of a son who died before Henry Gibbs, Sr.
Submitted by: Ellen A. Williams, Ann McWhirter, and Bill Rhodes.
Return to Hyde County Home Page