Roanoke Beacon Abstracts Update
Over the weekend I spent some time indexing issues of the Roanoke Beacon. I extracted articles from the March – June 1890 issues to the NC People in the Papers database. As usual, I focused on articles of genealogical interest such as obituaries, marriage notices, births, and mentions of specific family relationships. With this update I added 168 names from 73 articles.
Obituaries in this group include:
- Julius L. Howell, former mayor of Creswell
- an infant child of Thomas Green
- John Layton
- Julia Carmalt of Beaufort County
- Jessie Clifton – six year old son of lighthouse keeper Thomas Clifton
- Hester A. Darden
- Jennie Marriner
- infant daughter of B.D. & Bertha Latham
- May Buchannon (nee Windley)
Marriages in this group include:
- Annie B. Norman & J.E. Smith
- Annie Darden & Claud Woodard
- Loula Bateman & John Lewis
- Mamie C. DeCormis & J.E. Reid
- Bettie Mitchell & Charles A.S. Barrus
- Jennie Davenport & John H. Ange
- Mattie Johnston & W. Fletcher Ausbon
- Margie Garrett & Capt. S.L. Johnston
- Sadie Davenport & H.W. Mathews
In addition, there are other news items included. For example, this grade report from the Creswell Academy of some of Principal Dunston’s students — could you imagine having your grades posted in the newspaper??
To view the current list of 409 names from Washington County that are in the index so far, click here.