These records presented to the Washington County Genealogical Society by member Edwin A. Norman.
Compiled by Virginia C. Haire
The following records were copied by Edwin A. Norman from a small notebook first owned by Doctrine Snell. According to Mr. Norman he “apparently left it at home when he enlisted in Company H, 17th North Carolina Regiment, April 2, 1862. He died of disease in a Confederate Hospital in Petersburg in August of that year. The first 15 entries are in the hand of his mother, Edney E. Snell.”
- Abijah Snell was born on the 23rd of Sept. A.D. 1767. Departed this life Nov. 21st 1824. Age 67 years 1 month 28 days.
- Frances Snell was born on the 16th of June A. D. 1772. Departed this life Jan. 27th 1836. Age 64 years 7 months 11 days.
- Anna Snell Daughter of Abijah Snell & Frances his wife was born on the 8th of Aug. 1792. Departed this life Mar. 20th 1838. Age 45 years 7 months 12 days.
- Jordan Snell, son of Abijah Snell & Frances his wife was born on the 16th of Nov. 1799. Departed this life Nov. 11 1836. Age 36 years 11 months 25 days.
- Hardy Snell, son of Abijah Snell & Frances his wife was born onthe 27th of Aug. 1803. Departed this life Feb. 1st 1836. Age 32 years 5 months 14 days.
- Tempy L. Snell Daughter of A. Snell & his wife Frances, was born the 25 Aug. 1810.
- Edney E. Snell was born on the 22nd of Feb. 1810. Departed this life July 9th 1883. (Note: Edney’s death is recorded by an unidentified hand.)
- Franklin Snell son of Abijah Snell & Frances his wife, was born the 24th July 1806. Departed this life on the 18th of Aug. 1860. Age 54 years 24 days.
- Alfred Snell son of Franklin Snell & Edney E. his wife was born on the 23 of Sept. 1834.
- Doctrine Snell, son of F. Snell & E. E. his wife was born the 19th of July 1836. Departed this life Aug. 16 1862. Age 26 years 27 days
- Eli Snell, son of F. Snell & E. E. his wife was born on the 22 of June 1839. Departed this life on the 13th March 1907. Age 69 years-6 mo 9 days. (Note: Eli’s death is recorded by an unidentified hand.)
- Harriet Snell, daughter of F. Snell & E. E. his wife was born on the 22 of Jan 1842. Departed this life on the 12 Nov. 1857. Age 15 years 9 months 20 days.
- Julian R. Snell son of Franklin Snell & Edney E. his wife was born on the 25th April 1844. Departed this life on the 5th of May 1865. Age 21 years 1 month 11 days.
- Lucinda Snell daughter of F. Snell & E. E. his wife was born on the 26 February, 1846.
- Henderson A. Snell son of F. Snell & E. E. his wife was born on the 25 of Dec. 1850.
Immediately following the above, and in the same bound book, there is, in an unidentified hand, the following:
CHILDREN OF HENDERSON & MARIAH NORMAN
- Mariah H. Norman born April 30th 1871
- Sallie Norman born Sept 20 1873
- Joseph Norman born July 3, 1877
- Henderson Norman born Apr. 27 1880
- Hattie Snell born Dec. 20 1886 Daughter of Eli & Mariah Snell
- Joe Norman Everett Born Apr. 5 1906 Son of Clinton & Sallie Everett
- William Everett son of Sallie & Clinton Everett born Nov 20 1910
- Harriett Ella Snell, daughter of Eli Snell & M. H. his wife was born Dec 20 1886. (This last entry is in an unidentified hand, the same as that recording Edney E’s death.)
In a folded “Family Record”, lying loose in the Snell notebook, the following are found:
- Henderson Norman and Maria H. Clayton were married the 16th day of June 1870
- Maria H. Norman was borne April 30th 1871
- Sallie Daughter of Henderson Norman and Maria H his wife was borne Sept 20th 1873
- Joseph Norman Son of Henderson & Mariah H his wife was born July 3d 1877
- Henderson Norman Son of Henderson & Mariah his wife was born April 27th 1880
Also folded, “loose”, on ruled paper, written in pencil, in the Snell note book is the following:
- Ashbury was born the 13th day of October 1844 and died in September 1868
- Emerett was born the 11th day of November 1847
- John Cahoon was born 13th day of August 1849
- James was born the 27th May 1851 and died 1865 (or 1866?)
(Note: Washington County Census 1860 indicates that the four, above, were sons of James and Elizabeth Cahoon.)