Transcribed by Taneya Koonce
From the May 12, 1899 issue of the Roanoke Beacon Newspaper:
At a special meeting of the Board of Commissioners of Washington county, held on Monday May 1st, 1899, the following proceedings were had, viz:
Board met pursuant to adjournment. Present Jas. A. CHESSON, chairman; Jos. SKITTLETHARPE, J.M. REID.
Minutes of the last meeting read and approved.
- Ordered that Francis MARTIN be allowed one full ration per month until further orders.
- Ordered that Wilson WILKINS be released of poll tax for the year 1898, on account of poverty and infirmity.
- Ordered that Bowen G. PHELPS be released of poll tax for the year 1898, on account of poverty and infirmity.
- Ordered that Abram AUSBON be released of poll tax in Plymouth township he having listed and paid his poll tax in Lee’s Mills township.
- Ordered that Wilson ALEXANDER be released of poll tax for the year 1898 he having paid his poll tax as C.W. ALEXANDER said year.
- Ordered that Jos. BOSTON, Jr., be released of poll tax for the year 1898 , wrongfully listed, he having paid his poll tax in Martin county for said year.
- Ordered that L.L. NEWBERRY be released of poll tax for the year 1898, also tax on $255 value personal property, the same having been removed from the state.
- Ordered that L.G. ROPER’s bid for building bridge at Beaver Dam or Shell Landing be accepted which is as follows.
Roper, N.C., May 1, 1899.
Jas. A. CHESSON, Esq., Chairman – Board County Commissioners Washington County, N.C.
Dear Sirs: – I herewith put my bid in for the building of the Beaver Dam bridge. I will build the bridge according to the specifications for the sum of $75,000. - Yours truly, L.G. ROPER.
- Ordered that Jno. L. PHELPS, sheriff, be allowed the sum of $124.00 his account for feeding jail prisoners, turnkeys, &c., for month of April, and holding court spring term 1899, &c., as per account filed.
- Ordered that SKITTLETHARPE & COOPER be allowed the sum of $39.97 their account for supplies furnished poor house; courthouse and jail for April 1899.
- Ordered that EDWARDS & BROUGHTON be allowed the sum of $18.70 their account for records furnished Register of Deeds office and Superior Court Clerk’s office.
- Ordered that Jno. C. GURGANUS be allowed the sum of $9.42 his account for 1 months service as keeper of the poor house making two garments and amount paid Betsy GARRETT for scouring, &c., at poor house.
- Ordered that E.H. LEARY be allowed the sum of $9.20 his account for 3 days service as County Commissioner and mileage.
- Ordered that Thos. J. BASNIGHT be allowed the sum of $7.15 his account for provisions furnished Willis BOYD and Ed PATRICK from Oct. 1898 to March 1899.
- Ordered that Jno. A. BERRY be allowed the sum of $6.00 his account for hauling lumber and repairing Ward’s bridge.
- Ordered that the Roanoke Beacon be allowed the sum of $1.75 for publishing proceedings of April meeting of the Board and printing police and tax receipts for sheriff.
- Ordered that J.C. CRAWFORD, sheriff Martin county, be allowed the sum of $5.40 his account for arrest and conveying W.H. CARSON from Williamston to Plymouth jail.
- Ordered that J.W. HALSY be allowed the sum of $3.00 for serving 10 road orders in Skinnersville township.
- Ordered that A.W. AMBROSE be allowed the sum of $4.20 for serving 14 road orders in Scuppernong township.
- Ordered that Jesse NOONEY be allowed the sum of $2.00 for conveying Darias BENNETT to Plymouth jail 27 miles at 10c. and 3 meals for BENNETT.
- Ordered that Jesse NOONEY be allowed the sum of $2.90 for conveying Wm. CARTER to Plymouth jail 27 miles at 10c and 2 meals for CARTER.
- Ordered that Willis ROBERTSON be allowed the sum of $3.00 for 2 days service <…> on the Grand Jury at spring term 1899.
- Ordered that Rufus SWAIN be allowed the <…>. For provisions, furnished Annis <…> for the month of Feb’y 1899.
- (there is another entry here that I cannot read)
Board adjourned to meet on the First Monday in June, 1899.