GARRETT, Sarah – Fire in her home (1898)

A Fire — On Christmas morning at 3 o’clock, aunt Sarah GARRETT, a worthy colored woman, heard something in her kitchen and on going to the door found the room in a blaze.  She gave the alarm, but there had been so much racket during the night that but few of the people who heard her took much notice and the house, together with most of the furniture, was destroyed.  The loss is estimated at about $800 with no insurance. 

Source: Roanoke Beacon, 7 Jan 1898. 

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .