Transylvania County was cut off from Henderson and Jackson Counties in the year 1861.
"Public Laws of North Carolina, Session of 1860-1861, Chapter 10, Page 19.
Section 1. Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of North Carolina, and it is hereby
enacted by the authority of the same. That a county by the name of Transylvania be laid off
established out of the counties of Henderson and Jackson with the following boundary, to wit:
beginning at the standing stone, on the South Carolina line, near the head waters of Green river
and Little river,
to the top of Hickory mountain, thence a straight line to the top of the mountain, west of William
Sintel's, thence with the main ridge to the top of the high point on the mountain near the Hadden
farm, thence a straight line to the mouth of the branch between the Hadden and Justus farms, thence
down the French Broad river to the mouth of Bryson's creek, thence a straight line to the top of
Pisgah mountain, thence a west direction with the Haywood line to the Jackson line to a point on
the Blue Ridge between the head of Indian creek and Toxaway, and running with the dividing ridge
between Indian creek and Toxaway river to said river, thence south to the South Carolina line,
the South Carolina line to the beginning.
Sec. 2. Be it further enacted, That this act shall be in force from and after its
Ratified the 15th day of February, 1861.