Descendants of Thoroughgood Pate & Winifred Stewart
Contributed by Myrtle Norton Bridges
April 17, 2007
This is a work in progress and may contains errors.
Revised April 30, 2007
Generation No. 1
1. THOROUGHGOOD1 PATE He married WINFRED STEWART.
Children of THOROUGHGOOD PATE and WINFRED STEWART are:
2. i. STEPHEN2 PATE, b. Abt. 1760; d. 1839.
ii. SAMUEL PATE, b. 1765, Bladen County, NC?.
iii. THOROUGHGOOD PATE, m. FRANCES BRIGHT.
Generation No. 2
2. STEPHEN2 PATE (THOROUGHGOOD1) was born Abt. 1760, and died 1839. He married HONOR SWEENY,
daughter of DARBY SWEENEY/SWINNEY. She was born Abt. 1770, and died 1841.
Children of STEPHEN PATE and HONOR SWEENY are:
3. i. ELIJAH3 PATE, b. May 25, 1791, NC; d. July 24, 1880, NC.
ii. STEPHEN S. PATE, b. 1799; m. REBECCA RANDLE, Richmond County, NC; b. 1825.
iii. ELISHA S. PATE, b. 1803; m. ANN SMITH.
iv. HANNAH PATE, b. 1805; m. ELI ELEY.
4. v. SARAH (SALLY) PATE, b. Abt. 1800.
vi. DANIEL PATE, b. Abt. 1807.
vii. ELIZABETH PATE, m. NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE.
viii. JOHN PATE.
ix. SAMUEL DUNCAN PATE, b. 1810; m. ELIZABETH (BETSY) HAYS; b. 1822.
x. RICHMOND LOVE PATE, b. 1814; m. ALTAZORA THOMAS; b. 1840.
Generation No. 3
3. ELIJAH3 PATE (STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born May 25, 1791 in NC, and died July 24, 1880 in NC.
He married MARY 'POLLY'. She was born May 11, 1807 in NC, and died October 14, 1860 in NC.
Notes for ELIJAH PATE:
Charles Beesly 13, and Randolph Brown 5 months were included in this household (#664) census.
Daniel Brown 26, and Sarah A. 23, were next door neighbors in household #665.
1860 Census Williamson Township.
More About ELIJAH PATE:
Burial: Morrison Cemetery, Richmond County, NC
Notes for MARY 'POLLY':
Mary may have been Mary Gibson. (speculation only)
More About MARY 'POLLY':
Burial: Morrison Cemetery, Richmond County, NC
Children of ELIJAH PATE and MARY 'POLLY' are:
i. JANE4 PATE, b. 1835.
5. ii. STEVEN W. PATE, b. April 17, 1839; d. December 30, 1920.
iii. MARY PATE, b. 1842.
iv. MARTHA PATE, b. 1844.
v. FLORA A. PATE, b. 1847.
vi. JURETA PATE, b. 1849.
4. SARAH (SALLY)3 PATE (STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born Abt. 1800. She married ALEXANDER CAMPBELL.
He was born Abt. 1800.
Children of SARAH PATE and ALEXANDER CAMPBELL are:
i. PHILLIP4 CAMPBELL, b. 1822, NC; d. 1908, Weakley County, TN.
ii. ALEXANDER CAMPBELL, b. 1827, TN.
iii. DANIEL CAMPBELL, b. 1832, TN; d. 1916, KY.
iv. MARGARET ANN CAMPBELL, b. 1835, TN; d. 1874, Crittenden County, KY; m. JOHN LOUIS MOORE; b. 1830.
Generation No. 4
5. STEVEN W.4 PATE (ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born April 17, 1839, and died December 30, 1920.
He married MARY JANE WILLIAMSON, daughter of WILSON WILLIAMSON and MARY. She was born June 03, 1841, and
died July 06, 1918.
Notes for STEVEN W. PATE:
Steven was s/o Elijah Pate (b.1791) and Mary Unknown (b. 1807). His siblings: Jane Pate b. 1835;
Mary b. 1842; Martha b. 1844; Flora A. b. 1847 and Jureta Pate b. 1849. Charles Beesly 13, and
Randolph Brown 5 months were included in this household (#664) census. Daniel Brown 26, and Sarah A. 23,
were next door neighbors in household #665. 1860 Census Williamson Township.
Buried Barber- Pate Cemetery, Scotland County, NC State road 1323. Near Laurel Hill Presbyterian
Church [estab. 1797]
Notes for MARY JANE WILLIAMSON:
Buried Barber-Pate Cemetery, Scotland County, NC. Cause of death: paralysis due to hemorrhage on brain.
Heart trouble and chronic Bright decease (sic) of kidneys. Death Cert.
Children of STEVEN PATE and MARY WILLIAMSON are:
i. MARY A.5 PATE, b. 1868.
Notes for MARY A. PATE:
Data about Mary A. from 1870 Census of Williamson Township, Richmond County, NC
6. ii. ELLA FRANCES PATE, b. January 14, 1870; d. September 15, 1943.
7. iii. HATTIE PATE, b. October 11, 1874, Richmond County, N.C.; d. September 09, 1945, Richmond,
Henrico Co, VA..
8. iv. ELIJAH PATE, b. May 09, 1878; d. February 22, 1936.
9. v. GEORGE WASHINGTON PATE, b. Abt. 1880; d. October 1971, Robeson County, NC.
10. vi. CARRIE PATE, b. September 18, 1882, Scotland County; d. June 06, 1961, Laurinburg, Scotland County.
Generation No. 5
6. ELLA FRANCES5 PATE (STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born January 14, 1870, and died
September 15, 1943. She married ROBERT LEE BROWN, son of DANIEL BROWN and SARAH A.. He was born Abt. 1865.
Notes for ELLA FRANCES PATE:
Buried Barber-Pate Cemetery, Scotland County, NC
Children of ELLA PATE and ROBERT BROWN are:
11. i. JOHN Z.6 BROWN, b. January 18, 1888; d. October 13, 1969, Laurinburg, Scotland County.
12. ii. MATTIE ELLAR BROWN, b. May 19, 1889; d. February 28, 1932, NC.
13. iii. STEVEN BROWN, b. November 1890.
14. iv. SARAH EMMA BROWN, b. October 1891; d. July 03, 1940.
15. v. HENRY CLAYTON BROWN, b. October 28, 1895; d. May 12, 1958.
16. vi. ROBERT CARL BROWN, b. March 28, 1899, NC; d. August 07, 1948, NC.
17. vii. GEORGE WALTER BROWN, b. August 01, 1901, Scotland County; d. February 18, 1985, Laurinburg,
viii. DANIEL B. BROWN, b. June 15, 1903; d. March 28, 1943.
Notes for DANIEL B. BROWN:
Daniel never married. He was known to be highly intelligent, 'the brains in the family'.
18. ix. LAUDER BROWN, b. August 27, 1904; d. July 11, 1976.
19. x. MINNIE BROWN, b. September 07, 1908; d. January 03, 2000, Columbus County, Whiteville, NC.
20. xi. BEULAH BROWN, b. December 15, 1909; d. February 28, 1995.
21. xii. NELL BROWN, b. November 30, 1914; d. December 08, 1975.
7. HATTIE5 PATE (STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born October 11, 1874 in Richmond
County, N.C., and died September 09, 1945 in Richmond, Henrico Co, VA.. She married CHARLES J. THROWER
July 1899, son of HULDA HENRIETTA THROWER. He was born July 08, 1877 in Richmond County, N.C., and
died April 15, 1940 in Richmond, Henrico Co, VA..
More About HATTIE PATE:
Burial: Barber-Pate Cemetery, Scotland Co., NC
More About CHARLES J. THROWER:
Burial: Barber-Pate Cemetery, Scotland Co., NC
Children of HATTIE PATE and CHARLES THROWER are:
i. ELIZABETH6 THROWER, b. April 01, 1918; d. July 15, 1918.
ii. MATTIE GENEVA THROWER, b. August 15, 1912; d. May 13, 1914.
iii. EUNICE M. THROWER, m. WILLIAM MONROE BROWN; b. June 06, 1907, NC; d. January 23, 1949,
Williamsburg, James City County, Virginia.
Notes for WILLIAM MONROE BROWN:
Source: Death Certificate. Cause of death: Hypertensive Cardiovascular Disease with Uremia, due to
Malignant Nephosclerosis, Occupation: Hospital Attendant; Last residence: 525 North St., Portsmouth,
Norfolk County, VA. William and Eunice were divorced at the time of his death.
More About WILLIAM MONROE BROWN:
Burial: Laurinburg, Scotland County, NC
iv. OLLIE THROWER.
v. STEVE THROWER.
vi. MARY THROWER.
8. ELIJAH5 PATE (STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born May 09, 1878, and died
February 22, 1936. He married ELIZABETH MCLEAN, daughter of JAMES MCLEAN and CATHERINE MCDONALD.
Children of ELIJAH PATE and ELIZABETH MCLEAN are:
22. i. RUTH6 PATE, b. January 13, 1912; d. Abt. 1964, Hamlet, NC.
ii. HUBERT STEVEN PATE, b. December 28, 1914; d. January 26, 1940.
Notes for HUBERT STEVEN PATE:
Mary Campbell Norton's diary entry for January 27, 1940:
quot;Gosh, what a shock! Robert just came in and said Hubert Pate was dead! Died last night. Gased.
No details quot;.
January 28, 1940:
quot;Robert & I went out to Nathan's awhile and over to Pate's tonight. Sure was sad! Stayed until
9:00pm. Cold. Everything froze up. quot;
January 29, 1940: quot;Annie Ruth & Clayton went with Robert & me to Hubert's funeral. Poor Mrs. Pate.
Too bad. .... Cold, for goodness sakequot;.
(Hubert and an unknown room-mate were asphyxiated, while in bed asleep, by gas in a hotel or boarding
house. This happened somewhere in Washington, DC.)
9. GEORGE WASHINGTON5 PATE (STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born Abt. 1880, and
died October 1971 in Robeson County, NC. He married CORA EUNICE MCFARLAND Abt. 1918.
Notes for GEORGE WASHINGTON PATE:
Sarah Jane Butler, widow of William Butler, lived with George & Cora about 4 months out of every
year. After that she would stay with Mr. W. A. Wilkes and then back to Norman A. & Bessie Butler
(no known relationship to Sarah) Campbell's home for about 4 months.
Children of GEORGE PATE and CORA MCFARLAND are:
i. JANIE6 PATE, b. Abt. 1919.
Notes for JANIE PATE:
Living in Red Springs, NC in 1993
ii. STEPHEN WALL PATE, b. August 22, 1921, Scotland County.
23. iii. EUGENE SHAW PATE, b. March 21, 1923; d. March 08, 1993.
iv. NANCY INEZ PATE, b. March 14, 1925; d. October 15, 2007; m. ZEVGOLIS.
24. v. EUNICE MCFARLAND PATE, b. December 04, 1926.
vi. GEORGE WASHINGTON PATE, b. March 24, 1929.
10. CARRIE5 PATE (STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born September 18, 1882 in
Scotland County, and died June 06, 1961 in Laurinburg, Scotland County. She married JOHN A. BARBER
September 1907 in Bennettsville, SC, son of HUGH BARBER. He was born 1871.
Notes for CARRIE PATE:
For many years Carrie operated a boarding house on Everette Street in Laurinburg. Carrie died at
Scotland Memorial Hosp. where she had been a patient for 10 days. She sustained a broken hip in a
fall late in May. Bur. Barber-Pate Cemetery
John A. Barber, 33 and Miss Carrie Pate 25, of Scotland County, N.C. m. about Sept. 5, 1907 in
BennettsvilleWitnesses were C. C. Snead, A. H. (?) Jackson, Eli Norton
Children of CARRIE PATE and JOHN BARBER are:
25. i. MYRTLE CATHERINE6 BARBER, b. September 25, 1914; d. February 07, 1995, Laurinburg, Scotland County.
ii. STEVEN W. BARBER, b. August 30, 1917; d. June 08, 1918.
26. iii. MARY RUBY BARBER.
Generation No. 6
11. JOHN Z.6 BROWN (ELLA FRANCES5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
January 18, 1888, and died October 13, 1969 in Laurinburg, Scotland County. He married MARY BATCHELOR.
She was born in Wilson County, N.C..
Notes for JOHN Z. BROWN:
John Z. and his wife Mary were born deaf. Bur. Hillside Cemetery, Laurinburg.
Children of JOHN BROWN and MARY BATCHELOR are:
i. ROY VANCE7 BROWN, b. Abt. 1925; d. December 2005; m. UNKNOWN.
ii. GEORGE LEE BROWN.
Notes for GEORGE LEE BROWN:
Died unmarried. Bur. Hillside Cemetery, Laurinburg, NC.
12. MATTIE ELLAR6 BROWN (ELLA FRANCES5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
May 19, 1889, and died February 28, 1932 in NC. She married CHARLIE DAVID NORTON December 05, 1909
in Laurinburg, Scotland County, son of THOMAS NORTON and ANNIE JOHNSON. He was born August 08, 1877
in NC, and died October 27, 1954 in NC.
Notes for MATTIE ELLAR BROWN:
Bur. Barber-Pate Cemetery (road 1323)
Children of MATTIE BROWN and CHARLIE NORTON are:
i. NATHAN MCLEAN7 NORTON, b. November 27, 1910, Laurinburg, Scotland County, NC; m. ALICE TAYLOR;
ii. GRACE NORTON, b. 1915; m. BERNARD MCINTYRE.
iii. EULA MAE NORTON, b. January 25, 1916; d. March 26, 1918.
iv. CHARLIE CLAYTON NORTON, b. October 15, 1917; d. March 09, 1991, Clarkton, NC, Columbus County;
m. JANIE MAE ROSCOE; b. October 07, 1920; d. December 11, 1999, Columbus County, NC.
Notes for CHARLIE CLAYTON NORTON:
Thomas Garland Norton son of Clayton & Janie Mae (Roscoe) Norton 11/1/1938 - 1/6/1939 is buried at
Marks Creek Presbyterian Church, Richmond County, NC http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncrichmo/markscrkcem.htm
v. ROBERT TROY NORTON, b. July 26, 1920, Laurinburg, Scotland County; d. November 29, 1994,
Richmond County, Rockingham, NC; m. MARY ELIZABETH CAMPBELL; b. December 30, 1917, Richmond Co., N.C.;
d. September 10, 2003, Moore County, NC.
vi. ANNIE RUTH NORTON, b. March 15, 1923; d. December 10, 1992, Chapel Hill, Tenn.; m. ROBERT SHIPMAN.
vii. ESTON EUGENE NORTON, b. December 24, 1925; d. January 21, 1970, Ocala, Fla.; m. MARY.
Notes for ESTON EUGENE NORTON:
Bur. Barber-Pate Cemetery
viii. RUBY FRANCES NORTON, b. 1926.
13. STEVEN6 BROWN (ELLA FRANCES5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
Child of STEVEN BROWN is:
i. CURTIS L.7 BROWN, b. Abt. 1920; m. RACHEL H.; d. 2005.
14. SARAH EMMA6 BROWN (ELLA FRANCES5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
October 1891, and died July 03, 1940. She married WILLIAM PICKETT WRIGHT. He died Abt. 1971.
Notes for SARAH EMMA BROWN:
Notes for WILLIAM PICKETT WRIGHT:
Pickett and his wife, Emma, were deaf mutes.
Children of SARAH BROWN and WILLIAM WRIGHT are:
i. MABEL7 WRIGHT, m. BALDWIN.
ii. PICKETT WRIGHT.
15. HENRY CLAYTON6 BROWN (ELLA FRANCES5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
October 28, 1895, and died May 12, 1958. He married DORCIE STUBBS. She was born July 09, 1892, and
died September 20, 1972.
Notes for DORCIE STUBBS:
Clayton & Dorcie raised two other children, Sarah Lee Stubbs and Charles Stubbs. Charles was born 1941
and died in 1961. Sarah was born about 1939, still living (2000).
Child of HENRY BROWN and DORCIE STUBBS is:
i. HENRY CLAYTON7 BROWN, b. Abt. 1932; d. March 2006; m. UNKNOWN.
16. ROBERT CARL6 BROWN (ELLA FRANCES5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
March 28, 1899 in NC, and died August 07, 1948 in NC. He married MATTIE L. CHANCE 1923, daughter
of CORNELIUS CHANCE and LEE 'LEANNA'. She was born April 22, 1906 in NC, and died August 26, 1984 in NC.
Children of ROBERT BROWN and MATTIE CHANCE are:
i. FAYE7 BROWN.
ii. MADELINE BROWN, b. September 29, 1934; d. July 12, 1965; m. CARL HUGH WARD.
iii. MAXINE BROWN.
iv. FRANCES BROWN.
v. ROBERT BROWN.
17. GEORGE WALTER6 BROWN (ELLA FRANCES5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
August 01, 1901 in Scotland County, and died February 18, 1985 in Laurinburg, Scotland County. He
married ROSA IDELLA BROWN.
Notes for GEORGE WALTER BROWN:
Walter married his 1st cousin, Rosa Brown. Walter is bur. Mary Love Cemetery Cemetery, Hamlet, NC
Notes for ROSA IDELLA BROWN:
Bur. Mary Love Cemetery, Hamlet, NC
Children of GEORGE BROWN and ROSA BROWN are:
i. GEORGE WALTER7 BROWN.
ii. MARY FRANCES BROWN, b. October 21, 1942.
iii. DANIEL B. BROWN, b. May 20, 1944; d. 2004.
18. LAUDER6 BROWN (ELLA FRANCES5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
August 27, 1904, and died July 11, 1976. He married EUNICE ADELAIDE SMITH November 09, 1940,
daughter of JAMES SMITH and RUTH LENNON. She was born 1918.
Notes for LAUDER BROWN:
He was deaf.
Children of LAUDER BROWN and EUNICE SMITH are:
i. ROBERT LAUDER7 BROWN, b. November 05, 1941.
ii. ELLA RUTH BROWN, b. 1946; m. ROBERT E. WHITLEY; b. Fremont, N.C..
19. MINNIE6 BROWN (ELLA FRANCES5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
September 07, 1908, and died January 03, 2000 in Columbus County, Whiteville, NC. She married
MALCOLM (BUCK) KING. He was born June 15, 1903, and died January 08, 1974.
Child of MINNIE BROWN and MALCOLM KING is:
i. ROBERT7 KING.
20. BEULAH6 BROWN (ELLA FRANCES5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
December 15, 1909, and died February 28, 1995. She married WALDEN HIGH, son of DON COUNCIL HIGH.
He was born November 01, 1909, and died October 14, 1984.
Notes for WALDEN HIGH:
Walton is buried in Western Prong Cemetery in Columbus County, NC
Children of BEULAH BROWN and WALDEN HIGH are:
i. DONALD LEE7 HIGH.
ii. BRENDA SUE HIGH.
21. NELL6 BROWN (ELLA FRANCES5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
November 30, 1914, and died December 08, 1975. She married EARL MOORE. He was born May 21, 1914,
and died October 24, 1970.
Notes for NELL BROWN:
The yougest child, named by her brother Lauder.
Child of NELL BROWN and EARL MOORE is:
i. BETTY ANN7 MOORE, d. 2003.
22. RUTH6 PATE (ELIJAH5, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born January 13, 1912,
and died Abt. 1964 in Hamlet, NC. She married CLINTON R. HUGUELET. He died Abt. 1971.
Children of RUTH PATE and CLINTON HUGUELET are:
i. THERESA7 HUGUELET, b. 1936.
ii. MARY CATHERINE HUGUELET, b. 1939.
iii. JULES HUGUELET, b. 1943.
23. EUGENE SHAW6 PATE (GEORGE WASHINGTON5, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
March 21, 1923, and died March 08, 1993. He married MARY E. PEELE (TERRY), daughter of THOMAS PEELE
and ILA TERRY.
Notes for EUGENE SHAW PATE:
Prisoner of war. US Army during WW II
Children of EUGENE PATE and MARY (TERRY) are:
i. DONALD EUGENE7 PATE, b. April 22, 1947; d. February 21, 1997; m. VALINDA KAY HUNTER, 1970.
ii. RONALD STEPHEN PATE, b. April 19, 1956; d. January 02, 1994; m. CLAUDETTE REAVES.
Notes for RONALD STEPHEN PATE:
Bur. Matthews Cemetery, Wagram, NC. Scotland County
iii. MELISSA PATE, b. March 12, 1965; m. GREEN.
24. EUNICE MCFARLAND6 PATE (GEORGE WASHINGTON5, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was
born December 04, 1926. She married FRANK BENSON MYERS.
Children of EUNICE PATE and FRANK MYERS are:
i. FRANK BENSON7 MYERS, b. September 27, 1947.
ii. BRENDA JEWELL MYERS, b. July 16, 1950.
iii. BOBBIE EUNICE MYERS, b. July 19, 1957.
25. MYRTLE CATHERINE6 BARBER (CARRIE5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) was born
September 25, 1914, and died February 07, 1995 in Laurinburg, Scotland County. She married JESSE E. SNEAD
December 08, 1933 in Bennettsville, SC, son of LYON SNEAD and BERTHA CAMERON.
Notes for MYRTLE CATHERINE BARBER:
Bur. Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery in Laurinburg.
Notes for JESSE E. SNEAD:
Bur. Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery, Laurinburg, NC
Chairman of the Scotland County Board of Commission, member of the National Cotton Council and the
Board of Directors, NC Cattlemen's Asso. He was member of the Scotland County Farmers Club and the
Elks Club in Southern Pines, NC. A member of the Snead's Grove Church. In 1954 the Snead Family was
selected as the Master Farm Family of North Carolina.
Children of MYRTLE BARBER and JESSE SNEAD are:
i. ROBERT EARL7 SNEAD, b. August 20, 1934.
ii. SAMUEL EVERETTE SNEAD, b. November 23, 1941; m. ELEANOR LEROY MARKS, August 14, 1965.
26. MARY RUBY6 BARBER (CARRIE5 PATE, STEVEN W.4, ELIJAH3, STEPHEN2, THOROUGHGOOD1) She married
EDGAR VESTAL HOLCOMBE December 30, 1939.
Children of MARY BARBER and EDGAR HOLCOMBE are:
i. EDGAR VESTAL7 HOLCOMBE, b. November 30, 1940; d. April 23, 1968, Brunswick County, NC; m.
Notes for EDGAR VESTAL HOLCOMBE:
Killed in auto accident. Bur Hilside Cemetery, Laurinburg, NC
ii. CAROLYN JEANETTE HOLCOMBE, b. November 01, 1941, Laurinburg, Scotland County.
iii. STEPHEN WINFIELD HOLCOMBE, b. March 13, 1943.
Return to Family Genealogies
Return to Richmond Co. Home Page