DEDICATION TO MCLEAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Submitted by R. Carol McLean
November 29, 2001
Mr. McLean has recently written a book, "JOHN D. McLEAN - SCOTTISH IMMIGRANT TO ROCKY FORK CREEK -
RICHMOND COUNTY, N.C. 1760-1846 AND HIS DESCENDANTS." This book is full of interesting facts and
many wonderful old photographs of the McLean Descendants.
Purchase your book from Carol McLean. Myrtle
Alfred D. McLean
On Sunday, November 6, 1955 a service of Dedication was held at McLean's Presbyterian Church near Ellerbe. During
the previous week Dr. R. H. Stone, Executive Secretary of Mecklenburg, preached Revival services each night.
The auditorium of the church was beautifully decorated with yellow and bronze flowers given in memory of Mr. and
Mrs. A. D. McLean by their children and with white chrysanthemums given by Mr. and Mrs. J. F. McAskill in memory
of their sons Odell and Ralph.
Dr. Stone preached at 11 a.m. Then dinner was served on the grounds. At 2 p.m. the service of dedication was held.
McLean Presbyterian Church is named in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred D. McLean. The McLean family has been the
nucleus around which this church has been built and the McLean Children have most generously supported this work
Amanda McInnis McLean
thru the years. They have been loyal, faithful and sacrificial through-out the church's history.
McLean Church grew out of a Sunday School that began in the Old Paradise School house. Mr. J. C. Rouck, while
serving the Ellerbe field, would preach on Sunday afternoons. In the Summer of 1925, McLean Presbyterian church
was organized by Mecklenburg Presbytery. Dr. A. A. Walker was Sup. of Home Missions for the Presbytery. It was
through the tireless efforts of Dr. Walker that the church organization became a reality. The Rev. A.J. McIntyre
supplied the church during the time that he was doing supply work in Richmond County. Sunday School and the
preaching services were conducted in the old Paradise School building.
Rev. A. T. Taylor came to McLean Church in April 1929 and has continued as pastor since then. He is the only
installed pastor that the church has had. The first service of worship in the first building was conducted
October 2, 1932 in the afternoon. Today, Nov. 6, 1955, it is our privilege and pleasure to dedicate this second
Sanctuary to the Glory of God. We rejoice in this.
(Written by Mrs. Cliff McLeod, Ellerbe Correspondent)
Return to Richmond Co. Home Page
You are the
visitor since November 29, 2001.