OUR NEIGHBORS, THE MARTINS
Fredreica Speyer is searching for information on her Martin ancestors and relatives from the areas
in and around Moore and Montgomery counties in North Carolina.
If you have research data about any of these people, please contact
Paul & Fredreica Speyer , or me. Thanks!
Myrtle Bridges, CC Richmond.
I. Murdoch or Murdock MARTIN, b. Abt. 1759, Isle of Skye, Scotland; d. 1824, Moore Co, NC., son of John MARTIN
(Capt.) and Marion "Sarah"MACLEOD. He married Flora BETHUNE, daughter of Angus BETHUNE and Christian
CAMPBELL. She was born 1765 in Isle of Skye, Scotland, and died December 24, 1840 in Moore Co, NC. The children
I have found were:
A. John Bethune MARTIN, b. Abt. 1791, Moore County, NC; removed to Holly Springs, Marshall Co., MS, bef. 1840;
d. Aft. 1850, Monroe, Ouachita Parish, LA, while living with his daughter Mary Bethune Martin, wife of Robert
Dortch. He married (1) UNKNOWN. He married (2) NANCY HILL HARRIS August 24, 1824 in Montgomery Co, NC, daughter
of ARTHUR HARRIS and MARY MYRICK. She was born 1795 in Montgomery Co, NC, and died March 16, 1844. John B. Martin
was Clerk of County Court for Montgomery County (at Lawrenceville) before he moved to Mississippi to farm.
1. Atlas Jones Martin (mother unknown) , b. December 22, 1820, North Carolina; d. May 25, 1908, Selma, Dallas County,
Alabama. Married Harriot or Harriett Shields, daughter of John Shields of Moore Co., NC and Elizabeth Pauling of
Orange, SC. I have much information on their descendents.
2. Alexander Farquhar or Ferquard Martin died Of Yellow Fever at Mazatlan while on his way to Mexico.
3. Margaret Harris Martin was born 1826, died 1898 and married General Jesse Johnson Finley or Finlay 20 Nov 1845
in Marshall County,MS. He was a very inportant man of the time so there is much information on him on the internet.
He is buried at the Evergreen Cemetery which, I believe, is in or near Gainesville, Fla. Their children were:
a. Emily born 1846, died in infancy
b. Arthur born 1847, died in infancy
c. Charles Alexander Martin, born April 22, 1849 in Mariana, Florida, died about 1928 and married Arabella Moncrief
in April 1873.
Notes for GEN. Jesse J. Findley from pp. 46-47 THE FAMILY by Daniel Allan McDonald: He was a hero of three wars:
The Mexican; The Seminole and the Civil War. He was a judge and Congressman who is probably remembered more for
another reason than his military exploits. He introduced a bill into congress to reduce letter postage from three
to two cents.
4. Mary Bethune Martin who married 1st) Robert Dortch of NC. Their children were:
a. Dortch, Alexander Martin b. 25 May 1852 d. 21 Jul 1873
b. Dortch, William Eaton b. 24 Jan 1854 d. 11 Jul 1901
c. Dortch, John Bethune (John Bethune Dortch married Mary Louis Pegues 30 April 1890.) b. 25 Aug 1862
d. Dortch, Robert b. 8 Dec 1864 d. 1866
Mary Bethune Martin married 2nd) James Lamme Meigs 23 Dec 1879 in Columbia County, Florida, after the death of
Robert Dortch. James L. Meigs was born 25 Feb 1821 or 1827 in Athens, TN. His first wife was Katherine or Catherine
Kirkpatrick. According to Hillsborough County, FL 1880 census records for District 61, Precinct 3, pg 12:
Meigs, James L. w/m 53 TN TN TN engineer;
Mary w/f 47 TN VA TN wife;
Dortch, William D. w/m 27 TN VA TN stepson;
Meigs, Alexander K. w/m 23 TN TN TN son; (Alexander Kilpatrick Meigs)
Meigs, Mildred w/f 15 TN TN TN daughter. (It lists William as not being at home and Alexander as a Machinist.)
Note: Two other Meigs sons, Return Jonathan Meigs and James Lamme Meigs were deceased by the 1881 census)
5. Arthur Harris Martin was killed in action while a Captain in the Confederate Army
B. Angus MARTIN, b. 1796, Moore Co, NC; d. 1862, Montgomery Co., NC. He married Anne Matilda HARRIS, daughter of
Howell HARRIS. She was of Montgomery Co., NC. Their children were:
1. Howell Harris MARTIN, b. November 30, 1831, NC; d. August 08, 1906, Moore Co, NC; m. Catherine MCDONALD; b.
December 28, 1844, Monroe Co., NC; d. June 23, 1932, Moore Co, NC.
2. Cyrus Angus MARTIN, b. 1848, NC.
3. James Farquhard MARTIN.
4. John A. MARTIN.
5. Murdock MARTIN, d. without issue.
6. Flora A. MARTIN, m. CAL PEMBERTON and moved to Arkansas
7. Joshua Alexander MARTIN, d. in childhood.
8. Martin MARTIN, b. January 26, 1844, NC; d. May 23, 1934, NC; m.(1) Margaret Elizabeth PARKER; b. June 29, 1845;
d. February 07, 1882, NC.; m. (2) Ann Elizabeth MCAULAY; b. October 12, 1885; d. May 10, 1923, NC.
1850 Montgomery County, North Carolina - August 5, 1850, page 111
117/119 - Angus Martin, Sr., age 55; Farmer; $4600; born North Carolina
Ann M. Martin, age 40; born North Carolina
Murdoch W. Martin, age 21; Farmer; born North Carolina; attended school within the year
Howel H. Martin, age 18; Student; born North Carolina; attended school
John B. Martin, age 17; Student; born North Carolina
Flora A. Martin, age 14; born North Carolina
F. J. Martin, age 11 (male); born North Carolina
Joshua A. Martin, age 9; born North Carolina
Martin Martin, age 6; born North Carolina
Cyrus A. Martin, age 1, born North Carolina
Howell Harris, age 73; occupation none; $1600; born Virginia
1860 Montgomery County, North Carolina - Mt. Gilead Twp. - PO Mt. Gilead - September 7, 1860 - page 519
1068/1068 - Angus Martin, age 65; Farmer; $7000/12,400; born North Carolina
Ann M., age 40; born North Carolina
James (?), age 21; born North Carolina
Martin, age 16; born North Carolina; attended school
Lang (?), age 13 (male), born North Carolina; attended school
C. Farquhar or Farquar MARTIN married Jane STANBACK, daughter of George Stanback and Elizabeth Ingram. (Note:
Jane Stanback's sister Charlotte married a John D. Pemberton). Their children were:
1. William John MARTIN.
2. Stanback MARTIN, b. November 28, 1845, NC; d. 1930, NC; m. Mary BURTON; b. February 02, 1868.
Sharon Cemetery (This file was contributed for use in the USGenWeb Archives by: Mary T. King and H. Wayne Dunn)
This cemetery is located approximately ¼ mile east of Mt. Gilead on the right side of SR #731.
Martin, Annie 4/16/1873 - 5/14/1961 dau of Stanback & Mary Bruton Martin
Martin, Dora T. 11/3/1893 - 7/25/1974 wife of Robert L. Martin
Martin, Elizabeth Rebecca 1/1/1865 - 2/10/1893 wife of Angus Martin
Martin, Jennie 7/26/1874 - 5/25/1955 dau of Stanback & Mary Bruton Martin
Martin, Mary Bruton 11/17/1850 - 8/13/1935 wife of Stanback Martin
Martin, Margaret E. 6/5/1845 - 2/7/1883
Martin, Robert L. 2/17/1886 - 4/2/1970
Martin, Stanback 11/28/1845 - 1/10/1930
1830 Montgomery County, North Carolina; page 41 (Indexed as Zar., but definitely Far. Martin) Far. Martin - 1
male over age 45 - no females
1840 Montgomery County, North Carolina; E. Pee Dee River Twp. - page 248
Far. Martin - 2 males aged 40-50, no females
1850 Montgomery County, NC
Martin, Fergr age 53 male farmer $5733 born NC
Martin, Jane age 40 female born NC
Martin, Martin S. age 4 male born NC
1860 Montgomery County, North Carolina - Mt. Gilead Twp. - PO Mt. Gilead - September 8, 1860 - page 520
1077/1077 - Farquhar Martin, age 63; Farmer; $12,600/41,400; born North Carolina
Martin Martin, age 14; born North Carolina
D. Mary MARTIN, m. Yancy B. HOWELL; of Montgomery Co., NC.
1850 Montgomery County, NC Census
Howell, Yancy P. age 37 male farmer $300 born NC
Howell, Mary age 50 female born NC
McCaskill, Danl. age 21 male laborer born NC
E. Christian MARTIN, b. Abt. 1790, Moore Co., NC; d. August 1870, Calhoun Co., MS (Yalobusha). She married
William DUNN. He was born Abt. 1795 in Montgomery Co., NC, and died Bef. 1870 in Calhoun Co., MS. Their known
1. REV. MURDOCK MARTIN7 DUNN, b. 1829, Montgomery Co., NC. of Calhoun Co., MS
2. NANCY DUNN, b. 1831, Montgomery Co., NC.; of Calhoun Co., MS
3. REV. JOHN MARTIN DUNN, b. November 22, 1833, Montgomery Co., NC; d. June 13, 1916, Shawnee, Pottowatomie Co.,
OK; m. ELIZABETH ALEXANDRA KILPATRICK; b. March 10, 1845, MS; d. November 24, 1922,
Shawnee, Pottowatomie Co., OK.
F. Margaret MARTIN was born December 27, 1800 in Moore Co., NC, and died June 28, 1883 in Moore Co., NC. She married
JOHN BUIE, who was born March 11, 1800 in Moore Co., NC, and died May 28, 1883 in Moore Co., NC. They were married
March 30, 1826 in Moore Co., NC. They are buried Bensalem Cemetery, Eagle Springs, NC. Their children are:
1. CALVIN BUIE, b. January 27, 1827. Died in the Civil War, CSA
2. FLORA ANN BUIE, b. July 19, 1828. Died 3-21-1829, Moore Co., NC
3. SARAH EMILINE BUIE, b. March 27, 1830. Buried Bensalem Cemetery, NC. Never married.
4. MARGARET MARTIN BUIE, b. February 14, 1832. Buried Bensalem Cemetery, NC. Never Married
5. REGINA MARIE BUIE, b. July 27, 1834.
6. JOHN BUIE, b. July 08, 1836. Buried Bensalem Cemetery, NC. Civil War Veteran, CSA.
7. MARY JANE BUIE, b. May 18, 1838. Married William Denton, 1860 NC.
8. MARTIN BUIE, b. Abt. 1840. Never Married.
Return to Richmond County Home Page
You are the
visitor since December 19, 2001