DESCENDANTS of JEREMIAH NORTON RICHMOND COUNTY, NC
This is a work in progress featuring the combined research of
Bea Norton ,
& Myrtle Norton Bridges .
If anyone can supply information to add to the research of this family, please do.
We would be happy to hear from you.
Thanks, Myrtle Bridges September 27th, 2001
Generation No. 1
1. JEREMIAH1 NORTON was born Abt. 1820 in S.C.?. He married LEVINA JANE PIGG. She was born 1830.
Notes for JEREMIAH NORTON:
According to a 1902 Voter Record from Scotland County, Jeremiah was the father of Thomas D. Norton.
Thomas D. Norton was the father of Charles David Norton.
Children of JEREMIAH NORTON and LEVINA PIGG are:
2. i. THOMAS D.2 NORTON, b. August 26, 1851; d. April 25, 1918, Scotland County, NC.
ii. RICHARD W. NORTON, b. 1853.
3. iii. AMOS NORTON, b. August 28, 1854; d. June 23, 1923, Laurel Hill, N.C..
iv. CATHERINE NORTON, b. 1856.
4. v. ALVIN NORTON, b. 1860; d. February 07, 1924, Laurinburg, N. C..
5. vi. ARCH B. NORTON, b. 1863; d. February 07, 1924, Robeson County, NC.
vii. FAIRLY NORTON, b. 1865.
6. viii. ZACHERIS NORTON, b. 1866; d. April 01, 1927, Rocky Mount, N.C..
7. ix. SEDBERRY NORTON, b. June 25, 1870, Richmond County, N.C.; d. January 17, 1942, Whiteville, N.C..
8. x. SEYMORE NORTON, b. June 13, 1872; d. June 29, 1919, Robeson County, NC.
9. xi. DOCK NORTON, b. October 12, 1873; d. June 25, 1914, Robeson County, NC.
Generation No. 2
2. THOMAS D.2 NORTON (JEREMIAH1) was born August 26, 1851, and died April 25, 1918 in Scotland County, NC.
He married ANNIE ELIZABETH JOHNSON, daughter of WILLIAM JOHNSTON and ANNIE ELIZABETH. She was born
October 11, 1850, and died June 22, 1930 in Scotland County, NC.
Notes for THOMAS D. NORTON:
Bur. McNeill Cemetery on Sneads Grove Road near highway #15 north of Laurinburg. Coordinates:
35 degrees 52mins. 48 secs. North lattitude and 79 degrees 28 mins. 23 secs. West longitude.
Others buried here are:
Mattie, wife of B.G. Norton (1893 - 1910)
William H. Norton (1915-1969)
Hattie R. Norton (1886-1956)
Sim Norton (1869-1938, son of Daniel Norton)
Maggie his wife (1866-1922)
A.B. Norton (1835-1918)
Joseph McMillan (1810-1889)
H.C. McMillan (1859-1916);
Rev. Andrew McMillan (1822-1900)
Sallie his wife (1865-1947)
Mary McLauchlin wife of Laughlin McLaughlin (1791-1896)
Effie wife of Kenneth McLaughlin (d. 1908 aged 74 years)
Kenneth McLaughlin Mar 1884 Aged 52 years
In Memory of Neill McNeill b. July 22, 1828 d. Mar 5, 1859
In Memory of Margaret McNeill b. Mar 8, 1834- Sept 1, 1887
Flora McNeill b. July 1, 1844 d. Jan 30, 1899
John McNeill (1839-1847) Kate McNeill (1839-1925)
John McNeill died May 1, 1865 aged about 68 years A native of Argylshire, Scotland
Mary "Polly" (1816-1900)
Mary McNeill July 1, 1844- March 29, 1922)
James Fairley (Feb 1, 1897- Aged 62 years)
Additional surnames here are McPherson, Livingston, Crews, Gibson, McLauchlin,
Pate, Hodges, Russell, Patterson, Holland, Wright, Monroe, Pittman,
Kremerger, Fairley, Brown
Notes for ANNIE ELIZABETH JOHNSON:
Bur. McNeill Cemetery. Cause of death was Aterio Schlerosis.
Children of THOMAS NORTON and ANNIE JOHNSON are:
i. MILTON3 NORTON.
ii. ESTER ELIZABETH NORTON, b. January 15, 1870, Marlboro County, S.C.; m. DANIEL LUTHER JACKSON.
iii. ALEX NORTON, b. September 03, 1875; d. October 31, 1918.
10. iv. CHARLIE DAVID NORTON, b. August 08, 1877; d. October 27, 1954.
11. v. MISSOURI NORTON, b. September 29, 1879.
vi. MINNIE NORTON, b. May 13, 1884; m. MILTON LEE WALTERS.
Notes for MILTON LEE WALTERS:
He was Post Master in Laurinburg during 1950's.
vii. PATTERSON NORTON, b. May 29, 1891; d. June 18, 1974.
Notes for PATTERSON NORTON:
Pvt. US Army
3. AMOS2 NORTON (JEREMIAH1) was born August 28, 1854, and died June 23, 1923 in Laurel Hill, N.C..
Child of AMOS NORTON is:
i. JERRY3 NORTON, b. July 12, 1875; d. August 08, 1939, St. Pauls, N. C.; m. LIZZIE CAULDER;
b. April 20, 1882; d. July 01, 1942, St. Pauls, N. C..
4. ALVIN2 NORTON (JEREMIAH1) was born 1860, and died February 07, 1924 in Laurinburg, N. C..
He married SALLIE SMITH. She was born March 11, 1867, and died June 08, 1931.
Children of ALVIN NORTON and SALLIE SMITH are:
i. LILLIE3 NORTON, b. October 11, 1885; m. CLARK.
ii. JOSEPH DANIEL NORTON, b. February 16, 1887, Marion County, N.C.; d. December 18, 1941;
m. SARAH CATHERINE HAIR; b. March 18, 1888, Cumberland County, NC;
d. January 22, 1983, Robeson County, NC.
iii. LONNIE NORTON, b. July 22, 1892; d. November 10, 1938; m. MATTIE CLARK; b.
October 12, 1895; d. December 01, 1963.
iv. ELLA NORTON, b. February 01, 1895; m. ED CARVER.
v. BEATRICE NORTON, b. January 27, 1898, Marlboro County, S.C.; d. December 29, 1978,
Scotland County, NC; m. WILLIE THOMAS NORTON; b. July 04, 1895; d. January 06, 1974, Laurinburg, N. C..
vi. WILLIE VANCE NORTON, b. November 10, 1901, Scotland County, NC; d. November 30, 1981,
Cumberland County, NC; m. MARY ICIL LONG; b. June 18, 1899; d. June 25, 1982, Cumberland County, NC.
vii. CLARENCE NORTON, b. December 03, 1905; d. November 08, 1907.
5. ARCH B.2 NORTON (JEREMIAH1) was born 1863, and died February 07, 1924 in Robeson County, NC.
He married LULA SMITH.
Children of ARCH NORTON and LULA SMITH are:
i. RUTH3 NORTON.
ii. JANIE NORTON.
iii. MYRTLE NORTON.
6. ZACHERIS2 NORTON (JEREMIAH1) was born 1866, and died April 01, 1927 in Rocky Mount, N.C..
He married MARY CATTIE JACKSON. She died February 18, 1945.
Child of ZACHERIS NORTON and MARY JACKSON is:
i. LUCY MAE3 NORTON, b. June 18, 1896; d. January 10, 1974; m. JAMES HAYES.
7. SEDBERRY2 NORTON (JEREMIAH1) was born June 25, 1870 in Richmond County, N.C., and died
January 17, 1942 in Whiteville, N.C.. He married JULIA FRANCES SMITH. She was born October 17, 1873
in Marlboro County, S.C., and died May 05, 1944 in Robeson County, NC.
Children of SEDBERRY NORTON and JULIA SMITH are:
i. LOU ANN3 NORTON, b. June 14, 1890, Marlboro County, S.C.; d. Virginia; m. (1) FRED SMITH;
m. (2) ISHAM BELCH; b. October 23, 1868; d. March 31, 1921.
ii. CALLIE MAE NORTON, b. January 18, 1893, Marlboro County, S.C.; d. July 25, 1964; m.
ERNEST GRADY SIBBETT; b. January 10, 1889; d. May 08, 1958.
iii. BERRY OSCAR NORTON, b. October 12, 1898; d. Marlboro County, S.C.; m.
(1) MARY LOUISE ROBINSON TANNER; m. (2) HATTIE BAXLEY.
iv. LEO O. NORTON, b. August 30, 1902, Marlboro County, S.C.; m. ALMA SMITH.
v. EVIE NORTON, b. July 10, 1904, Marlboro County, S.C.; m. WILLIAM C. CASHWELL.
vi. VERDON DUPRU NORTON, b. February 16, 1907, Marion County, S.C.; d. July 25, 1980, Rockingham, N.C.;
m. RUBY CATHERINE DAWKINS; b. October 30, 1907, Richmond County, N.C..
vii. ROWLAND PORTER NORTON, b. September 08, 1909, Dillon, S.C.; m. CORNELIA MOORE;
b. December 19, 1906; d. January 18, 1995, Williamsburg, Virginia.
viii. CORA BELL NORTON, b. December 30, 1912, Robeson County, NC; m. JOHNNY HOLLINGSWORTH.
ix. SEDBERRY BARTLEMON NORTON, b. April 07, 1919, Robeson County, NC; m. HELEN DORTHEA RUSS;
b. March 06, 1922, Whiteville, Columbus Co., N.C..
8. SEYMORE2 NORTON (JEREMIAH1) was born June 13, 1872, and died June 29, 1919 in Robeson County, NC.
He married ROSE WALLACE.
Child of SEYMORE NORTON and ROSE WALLACE is:
12. i. HAMPTON3 NORTON.
9. DOCK2 NORTON (JEREMIAH1) was born October 12, 1873, and died June 25, 1914 in Robeson County, NC.
Child of DOCK NORTON is:
i. CLARENCE3 NORTON, b. March 16, 1896; d. April 29, 1921, St. Pauls, Robeson County, N.C..
Generation No. 3
10. CHARLIE DAVID3 NORTON (THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) was born August 08, 1877, and died October 27, 1954.
He married MATTIE ELLAR BROWN December 05, 1909 in Laurinburg, Scotland County, daughter of ROBERT BROWN
and ELLA PATE. She was born May 19, 1889, and died February 28, 1932.
Notes for MATTIE ELLAR BROWN:
Bur. Barber-Pate Cemetery (road 1323)
Children of CHARLIE NORTON and MATTIE BROWN are:
13. i. NATHAN MCLEAN4 NORTON, b. November 27, 1910, Scotland County.
14. ii. GRACE NORTON, b. 1915.
iii. EULA MAE NORTON, b. January 25, 1916; d. March 26, 1918.
15. iv. CHARLIE CLAYTON NORTON, b. October 15, 1917; d. March 09, 1991, Clarkton, NC, Columbus County.
16. v. ROBERT TROY NORTON, b. July 26, 1920, Laurinburg, Scotland County;
d. November 29, 1994, Richmond County, Rockingham, NC.
17. vi. ANNIE RUTH NORTON, b. March 15, 1923; d. December 10, 1992, Chapel Hill, Tenn..
vii. ESTON EUGENE NORTON, b. December 24, 1925; d. January 21, 1970, Ocala, Fla.; m. MARY.
Notes for ESTON EUGENE NORTON:
Bur. Barber-Pate Cemetery
viii. RUBY FRANCES NORTON, b. 1926.
11. MISSOURI3 NORTON (THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) was born September 29, 1879. She married GEORGE SHAKER.
He was born May 03, 1875, and died August 02, 1902.
Child of MISSOURI NORTON and GEORGE SHAKER is:
i. FRANK4 SHAKER.
12. HAMPTON3 NORTON (SEYMORE2, JEREMIAH1) He married (1) EVA SMITH. He married (2) JULIE.
Children of HAMPTON NORTON and JULIE are:
i. DORA4 NORTON.
ii. ETHEL NORTON.
iii. SUSIE NORTON.
iv. CATTIE NORTON.
v. ANNA C. NORTON, m. DAN WALTERS.
vi. FOSTER SHAW NORTON, b. June 01, 1894, Marlboro County, S.C.; d. March 22, 1944, St. Pauls, N.;
m. (1) DELLA BULLOCK; b. December 27, 1886; d. April 26, 1965; m. (2) MARTHA DUNLAP; m. (3) VIOLA.
More About FOSTER SHAW NORTON:
Burial: Oak Ridge Cemetery
More About DELLA BULLOCK:
Burial: Riverside Cemetery, Dillon, S.C.
vii. ROSE BELL NORTON.
viii. JESSIE B. NORTON, b. July 25, 1896; d. February 19, 1958; m. BESSIE LEE SMITH; b.
March 13, 1901, Chadborn, N.C..
More About JESSIE B. NORTON:
Burial: Oak Ridge Cemetery, St. Pauls, N.C.
ix. JUDY ANN NORTON, m. CLAY ELLIS.
Generation No. 4
13. NATHAN MCLEAN4 NORTON (CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) was born November 27, 1910 in
Scotland County. He married ALICE TAYLOR, daughter of HENRY TAYLOR and LULA CURRIE. She was born 1915.
Children of NATHAN NORTON and ALICE TAYLOR are:
18. i. PEGGY JEAN5 NORTON.
ii. NANCY INEZ NORTON.
14. GRACE4 NORTON (CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) was born 1915. She married BERNARD MCINTYRE.
Children of GRACE NORTON and BERNARD MCINTYRE are:
i. DOROTHY5 MCINTYRE.
ii. BETTY MCINTYRE, m. CURRIER.
15. CHARLIE CLAYTON4 NORTON (CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) was born October 15, 1917,
and died March 09, 1991 in Clarkton, NC, Columbus County. He married JANIE ROSCOE. She died
December 11, 1999 in Columbus County, NC.
Children of CHARLIE NORTON and JANIE ROSCOE are:
i. C.J.5 NORTON.
ii. JIMMY NORTON.
iii. GRADY NORTON, b. 1940.
iv. DANNY THOMAS NORTON.
16. ROBERT TROY4 NORTON (CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) was born July 26, 1920 in Laurinburg,
Scotland County, and died November 29, 1994 in Richmond County, Rockingham, NC. He married
MARY ELIZABETH CAMPBELL. She was born December 30, 1917.
Children of ROBERT NORTON and MARY CAMPBELL are:
19. i. MARTHA LOIS5 NORTON, b. June 16, 1939.
20. ii. MYRTLE FAYE NORTON, b. March 24, 1941.
21. iii. ROBERT GERALD NORTON, b. February 26, 1943, Richmond County.
17. ANNIE RUTH4 NORTON (CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) was born March 15, 1923, and died
December 10, 1992 in Chapel Hill, Tenn.. She married ROBERT SHIPMAN.
Children of ANNIE NORTON and ROBERT SHIPMAN are:
i. RUDY5 SHIPMAN.
ii. MARGARET SHIPMAN.
Generation No. 5
18. PEGGY JEAN5 NORTON (NATHAN MCLEAN4, CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) She married JOHNSON.
Children of PEGGY NORTON and JOHNSON are:
i. TORIE6 JOHNSON.
ii. MALE JOHNSON.
19. MARTHA LOIS5 NORTON (ROBERT TROY4, CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) was born June 16, 1939.
She married DAVID LAWRENCE CARTER.
Children of MARTHA NORTON and DAVID CARTER are:
22. i. RICHARD LAWRENCE6 CARTER.
ii. NORMAN CAMPBELL CARTER.
iii. ROBERT PEELE CARTER.
iv. SHERRIE LYNN CARTER.
v. CHARLES PHILLIP CARTER.
20. MYRTLE FAYE5 NORTON (ROBERT TROY4, CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) was born March 24, 1941.
She married (1) WAYNE A. LATON. He was born July 07, 1937 in Richmond County. She married
(2) HOWARD DUFAYE BRIDGES, son of HOWARD BRIDGES and RUBY WASHBURN. He was born
May 01, 1934 in Cleveland County, N.C..
Children of MYRTLE NORTON and WAYNE LATON are:
23. i. JANET LEA6 LATON, b. 1960.
24. ii. DARRYL WAYNE LATON, b. 1962.
25. iii. DIANA FAY LATON, b. 1964.
21. ROBERT GERALD5 NORTON (ROBERT TROY4, CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) was born
February 26, 1943 in Richmond County. He married PATRICIA ANN BUTLER. She was born 1947.
Children of ROBERT NORTON and PATRICIA BUTLER are:
26. i. ROBERT GREGORY6 NORTON, b. 1970.
ii. LONNIE CHRISTOPHER NORTON, b. 1973.
iii. ANN NICOLE NORTON, b. 1976.
Generation No. 6
22. RICHARD LAWRENCE6 CARTER (MARTHA LOIS5 NORTON, ROBERT TROY4, CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1)
He married LINDA MORTON.
Children of RICHARD CARTER and LINDA MORTON are:
i. BENJAMIN7 CARTER.
ii. BRANDON CARTER.
23. JANET LEA6 LATON (MYRTLE FAYE5 NORTON, ROBERT TROY4, CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1)
was born 1960. She married DONALD WILLIAM ARNOLD. He was born 1960.
Children of JANET LATON and DONALD ARNOLD are:
27. i. STEPHANIE LEA7 ARNOLD, b. November 13, 1979.
ii. JOSHUA WILLIAM ARNOLD, b. October 03, 1983.
iii. MATTHEW SHEPARD ARNOLD, b. November 08, 1984, Wake Co., N.C..
iv. DANIEL WAYNE ARNOLD, b. October 08, 1987.
24. DARRYL WAYNE6 LATON (MYRTLE FAYE5 NORTON, ROBERT TROY4, CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1)
was born 1962. He married (1) LESLIE BOYD LONG. He married (2) SHARON COLEMAN. She was born 1954.
Child of DARRYL LATON and LESLIE LONG is:
i. DARRYL BLAINE7 LATON, b. 1987.
Children of DARRYL LATON and SHARON COLEMAN are:
i. NICHOLAS7 LATON, b. August 1992.
iii. JUSTIN DAVID LATON, b. February 1996.
25. DIANA FAY6 LATON (MYRTLE FAYE5 NORTON, ROBERT TROY4, CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1)
was born 1964. She married (1) EUGENE COOPER. She married (2) MANFORD GREY WEBB III.
Notes for MANFORD GREY WEBB III:
Children of DIANA LATON and EUGENE COOPER are:
i. SHAWNA ELIZABETH7 COOPER, b. 1986.
ii. MACKENZIE EUGENE COOPER, b. 1990.
Child of DIANA LATON and MANFORD WEBB is:
iii. ELIJAH GREY7 WEBB, b. 1998.
26. ROBERT GREGORY6 NORTON (ROBERT GERALD5, ROBERT TROY4, CHARLIE DAVID3, THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1)
was born 1970. He married LISA ELLEDGE. She was born 1968.
Child of ROBERT NORTON and LISA ELLEDGE is:
i. DANIEL7 NORTON, b. 1996.
Generation No. 7
27. STEPHANIE LEA7 ARNOLD (JANET LEA6 LATON, MYRTLE FAYE5 NORTON, ROBERT TROY4, CHARLIE DAVID3,
THOMAS D.2, JEREMIAH1) was born November 13, 1979. She married JOHN STERNBURG.
Children of STEPHANIE ARNOLD STERNBURG are:
i. ALEXCIA LEA8 STERNBURG, b. September 17, 1997.
ii. KAYLEN TERESA JACKSON, b. August 22, 2000.
Return to Family Homepages
Return to Richmond Co. Home Page