Estate Settlement Record of James Watkins, d. c1826
(Estate Records 1772-1933 - Book III - Author, Myrtle N. Bridges)
North Carolina, Richmond County - Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions, October Term 1833. The petition of Alfred
Dockery against James Watkins' widow and Israel, Nancy, Suzy, Aggy, Polly and Jane Watkins, children of James
Watkins, deceased, humbly sheweth unto your Worships:
1. That James Watkins late of Richmond County departed this life intestate in the year of our Lord one thousand
eight hundred and ··· that at the time of his death he was seized and possessed of two tracts or parcels of land
situate, lying and being in the County of Richmond. One tract adjoining the land of your petitioner, Alfred
Dockery, and the lands of W. C. Thomas. The other tract adjoining your petitioner, Isaac Mason and William
2. Your petitioner further sheweth unto your Worships that he has purchased of Wilie Watkins, Richmond Watkins
and July Watkins their shares, and that they have arrived at full and lawful age, and entitled to a partition
of said lands.
3. Your petitioner further sheweth unto your Worships that Israel Watkins, Nancy Watkins, Suzy Watkins, Aggy
Watkins, Polly Watkins & Jane Watkins are minors under the age of twenty-one years and have no regular guardian.
4. Your petitioner would further shew that the lands would descend by law to and among all his children who
are now residents of the County of Richmond, and is to be divided into nine shares.
5. Your petitioner prays your Worships that you appoint five commissioners according to law to partition the
lands, and that Jane Watkins, the mother of said minors, be appointed guardian pendulite as to the minor heirs.
May it please your Worships to direct a copy of this petition to be served on the different defendants, and
that subpoenas issue commanding them to appear at our next Court to be held for the County of Richmond at the
Court House in Rockingham on the 3rd Monday in January next, to shew cause why the prayer of this petition shall
not be granted, and that your Worships will grant such other and further relief as the nature of the case may
require. Dockery for Petitioner.
Return to Muster Rolls of the Soldiers of the War of 1812 - NC
Return to Richmond Co. Home Page
You are the
visitor since August 05, 2001.