CEMETERIES - G
|Gateway Baptist Church Cemetery|
Location: 2370 Chambers Loop Road
Directions: From Roxboro, 501 towards Durham. Left onto 2nd Chambers Loop Road. Church is on the left.
Access: Gravel driveway after church. Or park in church parking lot and walk short distance to cemetery.
Survey: Amy Ralston completed on April 23 2007
GPS: 36 16 08.6N 078 56 27.5W
GANTT (double stone) In Godís care & Forever in our hearts
1. R Clay / Aug 22 1958 / Nov 10 2003 / (fs) Daddy
COOKE (double stone)
3. Harrell Dorsett COOKE / PFC US Army / World War II / Feb 28 1924 July 14 2000
4. Lois CRAVEN COOKE / Jan 17 1932 Oct 4 2006
JORDAN (double stone)
5. Wesley A JORDAN / PFC US Army / Korea / Jun 20 1931 Mar 5 2006
6. Edith T JORDAN / Beloved Mother / May 7 1939 Nov 25 1999
CARROLL (double stone)
7. James Leslie CARROLL / Beloved Husband and Father / Jan 16 1940 / (living)
8. Mary Agnes CARROLL / Beloved wife and Mother / July 18 1939 / Nov 18 1999
9. William Eugene DEESE Sr / March 26 1940-Janurary 14 2007 / (This info is on funeral home marker. There is a hole where headstone should be.)
CRABTREE (double stone) In loving memory
10. "Stoney" / Stone Wall / May 14 1925 / Dec 29 2004
11. Rosa Lee J / June 8 1936 / Nov 7 2005
12. Adriane MATHIAS / HALL / Jan 15 1976-Oct 5 2006 / Poet / (fs) AMH
|Wyat Gentry Cemetery|
Location: 1103 Halifax Road
Directions from Roxboro: Take 49N to left on Halifax Road (SR 1521). Cemetery is on left.
Access: On side of road with a shared driveway.
Survey: Completed by Amy Ralston and Rebecca Hessee on June 3 2007
GPS: 36 24 18N 078 56 49W
Notes: Appears to be maintained
1. William H / Son of / Henry & / Malinda / GENTRY / Born Oct 12 1917 / Died Oct 27 1917 / Asleep in Jesus / (fs) blank
2. Lottie V / Dau of / Henry & / Malinda / GENTRY / Born Mar 17 1922 / Died Jan 18 1924 / At Rest / (fs) blank
3. Malinda / wife of / Henry / GENTRY / Died June 4 1924 / Age 39 yrs. / Gone to a brighter / Home / where grief cannot / come / (fs) blank
4. Maxine / Dau of / Henry & / Malinda / GENTRY / Born July 4 1913 / Died May 13 1914 / Gone but not / forgotten
5. Baby Boy GENTRY / 1958 1958 / (This is a funeral home marker)
6. Baby Girl GENTRY / 1955 1955 / ( This is a funeral home marker)
7. Mr Genlee GENTRY / 1934 1955 / ( This is a funeral home marker)
8. Mrs Janey THORP / 1907 1955 / ( This is a funeral home marker)
9. Wyat / GENTRY / Died / May 28 1922 (the 9 is written backwards) / Age 69 ( Appears that the 6 is written backwards, along with the 9) / (fs) WG /(this is a homemade cement head stone that is hand engraved)
Also in this cemetery are graves marked with:
Rusted funeral home marker
Rusted stake from funeral home marker
Field stone marking head and foot
|Zachary Gentry Cemetery|
Location: Off Parham Road, Allensville
|William Gray Cemetery|
Location: Paynes Tavern Road
Directions: From Roxboro, take Hurdle Mills Road (157) to right on Paynes Tavern Road (SR 1142) go past Whittown Road and past the creek but before Noah Davis Road on right in patch of trees in overgrown field.
Access: In 2006, it is a short walk through small pines to the stand of larger trees that shelters this small cemetery
Survey: Apr 2006 by Ken and Becky Dalton
GPS: 36 20 30.5 N 079 01 38.0 W
Notes: According to Elder Jimmy Gray, there was a tombstone for a child here but we were unable to locate this tombstone.
There is one tombstone and 8 fieldstone graves
PVT / William D GRAY / CO B 35 NCINF / CSA / Oct 7, 1847 / Oct 7, 1909 /
|Gregory Family Cemetery|
Location: Past house at 465 John Allen Road
Directions: From Roxboro, take 49S to right on John Allen Road. Cemetery is off road on left.
Access: Down posted driveway deep on private property.
Survey: By Amy Ralston, completed on Apr 26, 2007
GPS: 36 19 30N 79 04 27W
Notes: There used to be a wrought iron fence around it, the fence is no longer there. Cemetery appears well maintained.
1. Cathalin GRAY / B-7-18-1927 / D-10-26-1937 ( Information is on metal plate attached to a cement cross.)
2. Lee & Nora ALLEN / Baby Girl( Information is on metal plate attached to a cement cross.)
3. Betty Lou GRAY / B-4-26-1922 / D-9-8-1924 ( Information is on metal plate attached to a cement cross.)
4. Annie Luis / GREGORY / Born 1916 / Died 1910 / (fs) ALG
5. Susan Jane / WHITEFIELD / wife of / W T GREGORY / Born Sept 28 1836 / Died Oct 22 1901
GREGORY (double stone)
6. Mother / Partanline Elizabeth / Bettie / Oct 26 1868 / May 24 1848 / (fs) PEG
7. Father / George Monroe / Dec 5 1869 / Nov 4 1937 / (In front of headstone is funeral marker with G M GREGORY / 1869-1937) / (fs) GMG
8. Lewis Edward GRAY / Nov 18 1873 / Oct 21 1939
9. James W GREGORY / July 2 1903 / Nov 25 1953 / (fs) Brother
GREGORY( Triple stone in bordered section. Info on footstones.)
10. Surlena Ceton JONES / GREGORY / Aug 23 1875 / June 9 1956
11. Charlie Thomas / GREGORY / June 2 1875 / Apr 24 1950
12. Martha Eliza SNIPES / GREGORY / Apr 18 1874 / Nov 12 1897
13. Rosaleen Love GREGORY / B-6-28-1932 / D-8-24-1933 / ( Information is on metal plate attached to a cement cross.)
14. Horace Thomas GREGORY / B-10-20-1934 / D7-5-1937 / ( Information is on metal plate attached to a cement cross.)
15. Robert Monroe GREGORY / B-6-22-1943 / D-6-24-1943 / ( Information is on metal plate attached to a cement cross.)
There are 3 graves which are marked by field stones and blank foot stones, but sitting in line among the 3 field stones is a headstone that reads "Three infants / of / G M Gregory."
Six graves are marked with field stones. To this surveyor it is possible the tallest stone is that of W T GREGORY as it is beside Susan Jane WHITEFIELD GREGORY wife of W T GREGORY.
©2013 by the NCGenWeb Project, Inc., and/or individual contributors. Last updated 05/30/2013