Return to Pamlico Co. Homepage

 

William Odell Spain Photographic Collection
[Submitted by Jan Orndorff]

Arnold Gatlin Sadler House


This house was located in Hobucken next to the old Charitable Brotherhood Lodge No. 2 on the old tram road to Styron Point, today named Loverís Lane.  The first house on this site was a one-story, five-room, L-plan frame that was built about 1927 by Arnold Gatlin Sadler (1900-1968).  The only way into the kitchen was through the back door or by leaving the main living area through the front door, out onto the porch and in the back door.  It was later remodeled by Arnold Sadler into a bungalow-style house by extending the width of the house on the porch side to make the kitchen and pantry part of the main house.  In later years, the side porch built from the back of the house to the front door was enclosed to become the new kitchen and dining room.   Arnold, son of Augustus M. Sadler and Theresa Swindell Sadler, and his wife, Martha Parson Sadler (1898-1969), daughter of Richard T. Parson and Annie Ireland Parson, continued to live in this house until the late 1960s.  The house continued to be occupied by a son of Arnold Sadler until it was destroyed by Hurricane Isabel in September 2003.

© 2011 Kay Midgett Sheppard