Return to Pamlico Co. Homepage

 

William Odell Spain Photographic Collection
[Submitted by Jan Orndorff]

Hobucken School


The first high school in Hobucken was built in 1923-24.  The Minutes of the Board of Education shows that "the night of February 12, 1936, this new brick high school burned.  The contract was approved on July 8, 1936 to build another school on the same site."  The school was completed and everything seemed to be running on an even keel when in January 1940 the new school burned.  In October 1940, another contract was approved to rebuild on the same site.  During the 1940s, plans and discussions occurred concerning consolidation of all Pamlico County high schools.  This was completed, and in 1951, the last high school graduation was held at Hobucken.  The elementary school remained at Hobucken until 1967 when the county consolidated all the elementary schools.  After the consolidation of the county schools in 1967, this building became the home of the Hobucken Community Center in 1969.  On September 15, 1999 during Hurricane Floyd a tornado destroyed several structures including the school.  Today, a new Community Building and Post Office are on this site.  [from The Goose Creek Islander, pgs. 54-59].

2011 Kay Midgett Sheppard