At the time the Methodist Church
was organized in Hobucken, services were held in the Alliance Hall.
This building stood on the land where the present day Methodist Church
stands. The early members were Joella Mayo Sadler (1880-1969),
William T. Emory (1861-1933), and his wife, Sarah J. Sadler
Emory (1867-1945), Richard T. Parson (1853-1931), and his
wife, Annie Ireland Parson (1860-1951) and Marcus B. Sawyer.
The first church was built on land purchased from Rufus W. Alcock
(1878-1956), located about a third of the way to Dollís Creek
Landing. In the mid 1920s the church building was moved to the
present site. The first wedding in the church was Arnold G. Sadler
to Martha J. Parson on April 5, 1924 with the Rev. William C.
Jones officiating with Pelege Goodwin and Charlie R. Spain
as witnesses. Over the years, the superintendents were: William
T. Emory, Augustus Sadler (1871-1934), Pelege Goodwin
(1877-1940), Mrs. Joella Sadler, Fred Spain, Mrs.
Annie Emory Spain (1892-1957), Ellis Gaskill and Hiram
In 1999 the church suffered water damage
from Hurricanes Dennis and Floyd and roof damage, when a tornado tore
off part of the roof. During the next 5 years, repairs were made to
the church building and it was moved to the back of the lot to a
higher foundation to prevent water damage from future storms.