Return to Pamlico Co. Homepage


William Odell Spain Photographic Collection
Submitted by Janet Orndorff


James Bateman House

Located on Hobucken School Road (SR 1229) in Hobucken, North Carolina.  The earliest section of the Jim Bateman house (ca. 1870) has a story-and-a-jump form and, according to local tradition, was built for William Thomas Emory.  This section was moved about 1880, by Jim Bateman from a location east of its current site.  The interior was refinished during the late nineteenth century.  An addition to this section was constructed between 1898 and 1901.  The front one-story ell, dating about 1901, was once a portion of the Rufus W. Alcock house that was moved and added about 1930.  The building was originally the residence of Jim R. Bateman (1860-1944) and his wife, Arenia Hopkins Bateman (1863-1914).   The house was later occupied by their son, Peleg Bateman (1894-1970), and his wife, Beatrice Alcock Bateman (1898-1993), daughter of Rufus William  Alcock and Georgia Tolan.  There was a cistern at this site, dated 1909, which was constructed by local brick mason, James Potter Spain (1862-1931).

© 2011 Kay Midgett Sheppard