Various Onslow County Will Abstracts
- Ahier, John - Will written 11 Jan 1744/45. Probated October Court 1746. Son: William. Daughter: Elizabeth Ahier. Wife and Executrix: Elizabeth. Witnesses: Stephen Howard, Stephen Howard Jr. Clerk of the Court: Will Hedges. — Submitted by Tim Raper.
- Averitt, Nathaniel – Will written December 4, 1755. Probate not dated. Sons: John, Arthur, Benjamin Nathaniel, Ephaly Averitt. Son-in-law: Jonathan Ennett. Daughter: Nancy Averitt. Executors: Stephen Lee, John Milton and Captain John Ashe. Witnesses: Nathaniel Knott, Elizabeth Carey, John Hunt. Clerk of the Court: Will Cray — submitted by Tim Raper.
- Barefield, John – John Barefield, New River, 1742, Onslow Co., NC November 24, 1742. Son: Luke. Daughters: Mary Edwards, Sarah Jones, Rose, Judith. Wife and E xecutrx: Elizabeth. Witnesses: James Barfield, Richard Johnstoun, John Quarlay. No Probate. — submitted by Tim Raper.
- Barnes, Joseph – July 4, 1755. Son: Hezekiah (land and plantation). Wife: Ann. Executors: Ann Barns (wife) and Jonathan Mettow. Witnesses: John Chapman, Margaret Morton. Clerk of the Court: Will. Gray. — submitted by Tim Raper.
- Biddle, Jacob – Will written February 24th 1755/56. Probated April Court 1758. Sons: Jacob (“a pease of land lying on the North side of the Branch that runs by plantation and binding on John Simon’s Branch”), Isaac. Wife: Anne. Grandsons: William Biddle (son of Isaac), Isaac Biddle (son of Isaac). Other legatees: Abram Simson, Anthony and Jacob Charlescraft. Witnesses: Samuel Peirson, William Gibson, James Atkins. Clerk of the Court: William Cray, Court House on New River. – submitted by Tim Raper.
- Bishop, George - Will written December 20th 1743. Probated September Court 1743. Brothers: Staoakley (325 acres land in Onslow Co.), James Sidbury (“one Indian man”), Woodman Stoakley Sidbury. Sister: Bettie Dudley. Cousin: Bishop Dudley, Ester Dudley, Comfort Sidbury, Moses Sidbury. Mother: Elizabeth Bishop. Father and Executor: George Bishop. Other legatees: Jane Morgan, Morgan Morgan Jr.. Witnesses: Rice Rice, Morgan Moregan, James Smallwood. Will proven in New Hanover Court. James Smallwood, Deputy Clerk. — submitted by Tim Raper.
- Gourley, Dr. John – Onslow, Jan’y 2nd, 1746-47; Jan’y 7th, 1747-48. — Mother Elizabeth, if alive; brother Georg Gourley, sisters Grizzle and Mary, Sam’l Johnston Exr: 40 (pounds) to buy Bibles and New Testaments for the poor children on New River; nephew John Gourley. Test: James Glenn, Geo. Coheenaw. - (Source: Haywood, Martha Helen, Hubert Haywood, Mary Hilliard Hinton, and E. E. Moffitt. The North Carolina Booklet. Great Events in North Carolina History. Raleigh: Capital Print. Co. [etc.], 1901)