New Hanover County, North Carolina GenWeb

New Hanover County Census
New Hanover County Maps & Deeds
New Hanover County Military Resource
New Hanover County Newspaper Items
Miscellaneous New Hanover County Records
Resource Links
New Hanover County Vital Records
New Hanover County Wills

New Hanover County Obituaries

Transcribed by Carolyn Shank, Bill Gibson, Michael & Judy Chesson, Laurel Baty
Use CTRL F to find

The Wilmington Morning Star
Wilmington, NC
Wednesday, April 29, 1903
Disappeared From Home: James Byrd, White, Member of the Street Force, Has been Missing Since Last Saturday -- Mystery
As completely as if the earth had opened and swallowed him up, James Byrd, aged about 50 years and a member of the street force of the city, has disappeared from his home on Wright, between Second and Third streets. His family is very much distressed over his absence as members of the household say they cannot remember when he ever spent a night from home before. They are certain that foul play is the result of his staying away and are making every effort to find him.
Mr. Byrd left home about 8 o'clock Saturday night, accompanied by his little daughter. He went to a market on Castle street, bought some beef and sent it home by the little girl. That was the last seen or heard of him and as he has been absent three days and nights the people in the community are at a loss to know of his whereabouts. Mr. Byrd's wife died a few years ago and since that time he has lived with two grown daughters and a number of smaller children. The police are working on the case and hope to fathom the mystery in a day or two.

The Wilmington Morning Star
Wilmington, NC
Saturday, May 2, 1903
Where Is This Man?: Mystery Surrounding the Disappearance of D. James Byrd is Still Unsolved.
The Police Looking For Him: Family Much Distressed and Are Eager for Information as to His Whereabouts.
Came to Wilmington from Farmers' Turn-Out.
The mysterious disappearance of D. James Byrd from his home on Third and Wright streets is becoming the talk of the town in circles where he was known and strenuous effort is being put forth to find the man, both by friends and officers of the law. They are entirely at sea as to his whereabouts and any information as to his presence will be thankfully received by the family, who are much distressed over his continued absence.
Deputy Sheriff W Harvey Cox and Policeman H W Howell spent the entire day yesterday trying to find Mr Byrd, but although their search was very thorough, it revealed nothing. Other officers and friends will continue the search today. If the man has not met with foul play, it is believed that he has been drowned in the river.
Mr. Byrd came here a few years ago from near Farmer's turnout, on the W. C. & A. railroad, and was first employed in the Wilmington Cotton Mills. He is quiet and retiring in his disposition and is not inclined to be quarrelsome. He is 47 years of age, 5 foot 10 inches tall, has dark complexion, light gray eyes and hair very gray for a man of his age. Mr. Byrd was last employed on the city street force and left home last Saturday night about 8 o'clock accompanied by his little daughter. He visited a meat market and sent some beef home by the little girl. That was the last time any member of the family saw him, but about 12 o'clock the same night he was seen by other persons in the vicinity of Fourth and Church streets.
Policeman D W Willis also saw him Sunday afternoon following at Sixth and Castle streets, but no one has been able to trace his movements further.
Mr Byrd has eight children: one married daughter, two others nearly grown, five small boys and girls. Their mother died five years ago, which leaves the children in very distressing circumstances.
Any information as to the whereabouts of Mr. Byrd will be thankfully received by a sorrowing mother and fatherless and motherless children.

Wilmington Morning Star
Wilmington, NC
Thursday, May 28, 1903
A Mystery Cleared: Finding of Body Explains Disappearance from Home of D. James Byrd Drowned in the River:
Remains Found Floating in the Water by Negro Fisherman Yesterday at Noon.
No Evidence of Foul Play - Buried at Oak Grove.
The body of D. James Byrd, the white man employed by the city as a member of the street force and who so mysteriously disappeared from his home, at Third and Wright streets, four weeks ago last Saturday night, was found yesterday at noon, floating in the river opposite Point Peter, above Wilmington, by two colored boys engaged in fishing in the stream. The boys were horrified at the sight of the object and ran to inform some colored men at work near the spot. The men came to the river's edge and towed the body ashore.
Dr O D Bell, the coroner, was notified of the find and upon his arrival the body, which had not hitherto been identified, was found to be that of the missing man. A pass book was found on the corpse, bearing the name of D. James Byrd, and several of Byrd's fellow employees on the street force corroborated the fact from a view of the body, although it was badly decomposed. A purse was found on the person and identified. It contained $3.52 in silver. Dr. Bell found no evidence of foul play; the skull and all other bones were perfectly intact and therefore no inquest was held. The finding of the money disposed conclusively of the theory that the man had been robbed and thrown overboard.
Byrd's family having removed from the city and the remains having required immediate burial, they were turned over to County Undertaker King at once and interred in Oak Grove cemetery. The family consists of eight children, three of whom are grown and five others small. A married sister lives in WIlmington, but the others, being without any support, found it necessary soon after the disappearance of their father to move to the country. They could not be reached in time to get to Wilmington yesterday. Their mother died five years ago.
The deceased was 47 years of age and moved with his family to Wilmington about four years ago from Farmer's Turnout. He had just been paid off the night he disappeared and was accompanied to the market by one of his little daughters by whom he sent home some provisions. About 1 o'clock Sunday morning he was seen on the streets and the presumption is that he fell overboard from some of the city docks in the southern part of the city and that his body was carried up the river by the tied. When found the body was dressed in a tight fitting black suit and a new pair of shoes, evidently purchased with a part of the money which he had been paid Saturday night.

Wilmington Dispatch, 31 Aug 1906
DIED. On the morning of August 31st, 1906, at eleven o’clock, MRS MARY C MORTON, relict of the late S H Morton, aged 64 years. Funeral tomorrow at 5 o’clock from the residence, 720 North Fourth street. Interment at Bellevue cemetery. Friends and acquaintances invited to attend.

Mother of Col. Geo. L. Morton Passed Away This Morning.
The friends of Col Geo L Morton will deeply sympathize with him in the loss of his mother, Mrs. Mary C. Morton, whose death occurred at the residence, 720 North Fourth street, this morning at eleven o’clock. Mrs Morton had been very ill for some weeks past and her death while not unexpected nevertheless comes as a crushing blow to the son who has watched tenderly at her bedside during her illness. The immediate cause of death was paralysis. Mrs Morton has been confined to her home for the past seven years and was an invalid for the greater part of the time. Mrs. Morton was the widow of the late Stephen H. Morton, who preceded her to the grave some years ago. Her maiden name was Mary C. Wilder and she leaves to mourn their great loss, one son, Col Geo L Morton, a brother, Mr Jesse Wilder, of this city, and a little granddaughter, Miss Eliza Morton, twelve years of age.
Mrs Morton was a devoted member of St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. The funeral services will be held at the residence tomorrow afternoon at 5 o’clock, and in the absence of her pastor, Rev A D McClure, who is absent from the city, will be conducted by Rev J S Crowley, pastor of Immanuel Presbyterian Church. The interment will be made in Bellevue cemetery.

Wilmington Morning Star March 12, 1907
Mrs. Olivia Russell Dead
Good Woman Entered Into Rest Yesterday at Home of Her Daughter. Mrs Olivia Russell, relict of the late Daniel L Russell, Sr, of Brunswick county, died in this city yesterday at 12 o'clock noon. She was born in Washington, NC, on April 6th, 1826 and was the daughter of Allen Grist, Esq, of that town who in his day was one of the most prominent men of his section of the State.
Mrs Russell lived until after the war in Brunswick county at Winnabow, where her family lived in great affluence and there dispensed the most lavish hospitality; and many are the friends who will remember the enjoyment of the antebellum days at her home.
Mrs Russell had lived in Wilmington since 1868, where she has ever been noted for her piety and many Christian virtues, having been all her life a member of the Episcopal church to which she was greatly devoted.
She is survived by her family consisting of Mrs W J H Bellamy, of this city, and Mr Thomas B Russell and Davis S Russell, of Robeson county, and a step son, Ex-Governor DL Russell, of Brunswick. She also leaves two sisters, Mrs. Kennedy, of Uniontown, Ala.; Mrs. Margaret Hoyt, of Washington, N.C., and a brother, Allen Grist, Esq., of Chattanooga, Tenn. She leaves besides a large number of grandchildren and relatives, prominent among the grandsons being Dr. Russell Bellamy and Lindsay Russell, Esq., of New York; William J Bellamy Esq, John D Bellamy, Jr. 3d., and Dr Frank H Russell, of this city.
Services will be conducted at St James Episcopal Church at 3:30 P.M. today and the remains will be interred in the family burying ground at Oakdale cemetery.

DIED: RUSSELL At 12:10 P.M., March 11th, 1907, OLIVIA GRIST RUSSELL, in the 81st year of her age.
Funeral will take place from St James Church at 3:30 P.M. today; thence to Oakdale cemetery. Friends and acquaintances respectfully invited to attend.

The Morning Star March 13, 1907; Volume LXXX Number 147
Impressive Services Yesterday Afternoon From St. James' Church.
In the presence of a large assemblage of friends and relatives, impressive funeral services were conducted at 3:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon from St. James' Church over the remains of the late Mrs. Olivia G. Russell, the rector, Rev. R.W. Hogue, assisted by Bishop Strange, officiating. A large number of very pretty floral tributes were laid upon the casket by sorrowing friends and many expressions of deep regret at the death of Mrs. Russell were heard. The interment was in beautiful Oakdale cemetery, the pall-bearers having been Hon. John D. Bellamy and Mr. William H. Green, honorary; Messers. David S. Russell, John D. Bellamy, Jr., J.C. Stevenson, Dr. Frank H. Russell, and Col. Walker Taylor, active.

Wilmington Star September 11, 1910
Well Known and Highly Esteemed Citizen of Southport.
Many friends in Wilmington were shocked and saddened yesterday to learn of the death of Capt. John W. Galloway, which occured Sunday at his home at Southport after an illness of some months with heart disease.  Capt. Galloway passed away between 11 O'clock and noon. For a number of years he resided in this city and was highly esteemed by all who knew him.  Capt. Galloway was a brave Confederate soldier and served during the civil war first as a lieutenant in Cumming's Battery. He was a man of the ability and was was an expert accountant and had several times held various positions with the United States government. His passing is genuinely regretted by a host of friends and acquaintances.
Capt. Galloway is survived by his wife and three children, Mr. Dan Galloway and Mrs. Minnie Galloway of this city, and Mrs. Oscar Croom, of this city; also by one sister, Miss Adell Galloway of Wayne County, and two brothers, Dr. W. C. Galloway of Wilmington, and Mr. D. W. Galloway of Fairmont, Robeson County. The funeral was held at Southport yesterday and a number of friends from this from this city were in attendance.

Morning Star Wilmington, North Carolina March 28, 1911; page 5
Mr. C. G. Hatch Dead
Passed Away Sunday Morning of Pneumonia--Funeral Yesterday.
Following an illness of a few days of pneumonia, Mr. C. C. Hatch, a well known citizen, passed away at his home on Second, near Ann Street, Sunday morning at 11:45 o’clock. Mr. Hatch was 62 years old and had resided in Wilmington for the past several years, coming here from Atlanta, Ga., and followed his trade, that of painter, with much success. Surviving are his wife, two sons, Messrs. J. E. Hatch and Walter Hatch, of this city; one brother, Mr. William Hatch, of Texas, and one sister, Mr. E. C. Wise, of Atlanta. Many friends learned with much regret of his passing. The funeral services were held at 4 o’clock yesterday afternoon from the residence of his son, Mr. J. E. Hatch, No. 424 South Fourth street, conducted by Rev. W. A. Snyder, pastor of St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, in the presence of a large concourse of relatives and friends. The interment was in Oakdale cemetery, and the pall-bearers were: Honorary, Messrs. J. H. Render, E. P. H. Strunck, G. Henry Haar and J. O. Brock; active, Messrs C. S. Denny, H. E. Longley, P. LeMoyne, W. J. Bradshaw and Hall Whitney.
(From "Oakdale Cemetery Records, Wilmington, North Carolina, Vol II, 1880 -1919, abstracted by Delmas D. Hackett, page 135: Hatch, C. G., 62 years old, married, died March 26, 1911. Born in Georgia and died in Wilmington, N. C. Interment in Section G., Lot No. 33 W ½. Lot owned by James E. Hatch.)

The Morning Star, Wilmington, NC Thursday, December 10, 1914
Prominent Naval Stores Man in Wilmington for Many Years--Career of Great Usefulness Ended.
Capt Jesse Wilder, for nearly 50 years prominent in Wilmington as a business man, passed away yesterday afternoon at 3:20 o'clock after an illness of six weeks. He had sufficiently recovered from his first attack to be able to return to his work on the wharf ten days ago, but suffered a relapse after two days.  He grew gradually worse, but his wonderful vitality did not fail him and he remained conscious almost to the last moment.
The announcement of his death will bring profound sorrow not only to a host of friends in Wilmington, but throughout this entire section.
He had been in the naval stores business since 1868 on the wharf and was widely known to the trade both in the North and South. He had been in this business here longer than anyone else. He was simple and unaffected in manner, full of the joy of living, industrious, always mindful of his own affairs and always willing and glad to help those in need. Had he lived until next February he would have been 78 years old, and yet so lightly did his years rest upon him, that unless one knew his age, he was always considered to be much younger.
Captain Wilder took a prominent interest in fraternal organizations, finding there taught many of the lessons which he daily practiced. He became a member of St Johns' Lodge of Masons, No. 1, on January 10, 1868, and at the time of his death was the only living charter member of Stonewall Lodge, No. 1, Knights of Pythias, which was organized in 1879.
The business of Captain Widler on the wharf, now the George L Morton Company, was founded by Captain Wilder in 1868, shortly after the close of the War Between the States. He continued the business alone and most successfully until 1872, when he was joined by the late S. H. Morton, his brother-in-law. Upon the death of the latter, his son, Col. George L Morton, took his place and the George L Morton Company was established, with Captain Wilder as general manager. They did as big business in naval stores and Captain Wilder was recognized as being the best posted man in this line in this section.
Captain Wilder served for four years in the Confederate Army, one year in the Second Georgia batallion of infantry and three years in the Fourth North Carolina cavalry. He was captured the day before the surrender of General Lee at Appomattox and spent some months in the Federal prison at Sandusky, Ohio.
Captain Wilder was a native of Onslow county, but in early boyhood moved with his parents to Georgia.  Before the war he was engaged in the naval stores business in that State, and gave this up to enter the Confederate army.
For ten years or longer Captain Wilder served as a member from the First ward on the Democratic Board of Audit and Finance of the city of Wilmington, having given up this office in November, 1910. The only near relatives surviving him are his niece, Miss Eliza Morton, who was a constant attendant at his bedside during his last illness and was with him when the end came, and a nephew, George L Morton, Jr, both these being children of Col. George L. Morton, formerly of this city and now of Atlanta, Ga. Capt Wilder's wife died about 40 years ago and he never married again.
The funeral will be conducted from the Orton hotel this afternoon at 3:30 o'clock by Rev. Dr. A. D. McClure, pastor of St. Andrew's Presbyterian church, a lifelong friend of the deceased. The interment will be in Bellevue cemetery and will be with Masonic honors. The members of Cape Fear camp of Confederate veterans, of which he was a member, will also attend the services and will escort the remains of their comrade and friend to the grave.
The pallbearers will be as follows: Gen. James I. Metts and Messrs. Herbert McClammy, R C Cantwell, S M Boawright, John S McEachern and A S Holden.

Wilmington Mor ning Star - Friday, December 11, 1914
Services Conducted From Orton Hotel
Yesterday Afternoon--Many Expressions of Sorrow.
The funeral of Capt. Jesse Wilder, whose death occurred Wednesday afternoon, was held yesterday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock in the Orton Hotel parlors. The services were attended by a large number of friends and were conducted by Rev Dr A D McClue, pastor of St Andrew's Presbyterian church.
The interment was in Bellevue cemetery and was with Masonic honors. The pallbearers were: Gen James I Metts and Messrs Herbert McClammy, R C Cantwell, S M Boatwright, John S McEachern and A S Holden, all of these being members of St John's Lodge of Masons, of which the deceased was a member for nearly a half century. 
Members of Cape Fear chapter, United Confederate Veterans, attended the funeral in a body. A delegation of Pythians also attended the funeral.
A quartette composed of Mrs. Muse, Miss Carrie White and Messrs. A S Holden and A L Dosher sang "Asleep in Jesus" and "Abide With Me."
All of the naval stores enterprises in Wilmington closed at 1 o'clock for the funeral. Captain Wilder was chairman of the naval stores committee of the Chamber of Commerce, and on account of his death there were no market quotations yesterday.
There were many beautiful and elaborate floral designs sent by friends and by the organizations of which the deceased was a member. The members of the office force of the Galena Oil Company in Atlanta, Ga., sent a design and there were also designs from the Capt [Cape] Fear club, of which Captain Wilder was a member, St John's Lodge of Masons, Stonewall Lodge, Knights of Pythias, the Wilmington Chamber of Commerce, the Columbia Naval Stores Company, and a number of designs from individuals, including one from Mr H C McQueen, who was a colleague of Captain Wilder on the old board of audit and finance of the city of Wilmington.
Col. George L Morton, a nephew of the deceased, was not present at the funeral, as he is in Texas inspecting oil wells and could not be located. A telegram was received from him late yesterday afternoon stating that he had just learned of Captain Wilder's death.
The colored employes of the turpentine distilleries on Eagles' Island attended the funeral in a body.
The only near relatives surviving Captain Wilder besides Col George L Morton, a nephew, who was for so many years associated with the [the following line of type was entered upside down & backwards] deceased in business are Miss Eliza [end of upside down line of text] Morton, a great niece, who was a constant attendant at his bedside during his last illness, and his great nephew George L Morton, Jr. Captain Wilder married Miss Fanny Ellis, who died about 40 years ago.

News has been received by relatives in the city of the death of Mr. Joseph Murdock Loftin, a member of the Canadian Casualty Clearing Station No. 2, who was accidentally killed on December 28, while serving with the Canadian troops in Belgium. Mr Loftin was born at Kenansville and was 41 years old. He is survived by his mothr, Mrs Anne Elizabeth Pearsall Loftin, and the following brotghers and sisters: Mrs T R Ames, of this city, and Mrs J E Johnson, of Fair Bluff, and Messrs J P, I C and S E Loftin. On Sunday, when the news of Mr. Loftin's death was learned here, Rotarian T R Ames communicated with Rotarian Magnussen, in Ottawa, Canada, and within six hours received the information that Mr Loftin was buried at Lijssenhoeck cemetery at Poperingbe, Belgium. This information was secured from the Canadian War Office.  Wilmington Dispatch, March 21, 1917. 
(Joseph Murdock Loftin was the son of Dr. Ila Croom Major Loftin and Anne Elizabeth Pearsall.  Joseph Murdock Loftin and Daisey McIntyre were married in Wilmington on December 26, 1901.)

Morning Star Wilmington, North Carolina July 10, 1922; page 5
Funeral Services Today For Mrs. C. G. Hatch
Mrs C G Hatch, mother of J E and W G Hatch, passed away at 5:30 o’clock yesterday afternoon at the home of her son, J E Hatch, 426 South Fourth street. Mrs Hatch had been in declining health for two years and the end was not unexpected. She was a native of Georgia, but made Wilmington her home for the past 18 years, and was 70 years of age.
The deceased is survived by the following relatives: Two sons, J E and W G Hatch; one sister, Mrs O P Hargis, and one brother, both of Atlanta, Ga., and the following grandchildren: Mrs S L Schulken, Mrs S G Moore, of Greensboro, Edward, Fred, Walter and Samuel Hatch, and also two great grandchildren, all of Wilmington. Funeral services will be conducted this afternoon at 4:30 o’clock at the home of J E Hatch, 426 South Fourth street, by Dr. Edwin F. Keever, pastor of St. Paul’s Lutheran church, assisted by Rev John B Gibble, pastor of the Church of the Good Shepherd.
(From "Oakdale Cemetery Records, Wilmington, North Carolina, Vol III, 1920 -1949, abstracted by Delmas D Hackett, page 114: Hatch, Missouri Jane, 69, died July 9, 1922, widow of C T Hatch. Born in Georgia, died in Wilmington, NC. Interment in Sec. G, Lot # 33 W 1/2, owned by James E. Hatch.)

Wilmington News Dispatch, 2/18/1926; 2/19/1926
Funeral services for Mrs. Josephine Galloway, who died at the home of Mrs Lerrie Hewett, Southport, Wednesday evening at 6 o'clock will be held from the Hewlett's residence Friday afternoon 4 o'clock. The service, will be conducted by Father Charles J Mahan, of St Mary's Pro-Cathedral. Mrs Galloway was in her 77th hear of age and was the widow of the late John Wesley Galloway, of Wilmington and Southport.
Death came to Mrs. Galloway on her visit to Southport after a period of long illness, but she had not been considered in a serious condition until a few days ago. The deceased is survived by one brother, W F Furpless, of Winter Park; ane half-brother, C Furpless, of Southport; one daughter, Mrs Julius Rudolph, of this city, and one son, Daniel Galloway, of Tampa Florida, 10 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren also survive.
Interment will be in the Southport Cemetery.

Wilmington Star, 10-23-1926
The home of Mr and Mrs George R Galloway was deeply saddened Monday morning at 6:30 o'clock when their six seeks old daughter, Betty Claire, died at Walker hospital. The baby had been ill with whooping cough for about four weeks; and this developed into pneumonia, which resulted in death. Betty Claire was the first and only baby to bless this home, and was the cheer and hope of her fond parents. The funeral will be conducted from the home, 1617 Orange Street, at 3:30 this afternoon by the Rev. W.A.Cade, of Grace M.E. Church.
(1926 Oakdale Cemetery Records: Bettie Clare (Claire) Galloway, 6 weeks old, died 10-18-1926. Born and died in Wilmington, NC. Interment in Section R, Lot No. 31, owned by George R Galloway.)

Wilmington Star, 12-24-1928
Memory Honored
Records of the North Carolina department of the American Legion show that the first North Carolinian to fall in action in the World War was George E Galloway, son of Mrs DW Galloway of Fairmont. Mrs Galloway, one of Robeson County's many gold star mothers, was to have been present at the dedicatory exercises in Lumberton yesterday, but is a parient in a Lumberton hospital where she underwent a major operation.

Wilmington Morning Star Saturday September 8, 1928; page 2 col 3
Funeral services for Mrs Alice Julia Johnson (Nee Sanders) widow of Jackson Johnson, of Winnabow, Brunswick county were held yesterday afternoon at the New Hope Presbyterian church of which she was a charter member.  Interment was made in the adjoining church burying ground.
The services were conducted by the pastor, Rev W E West, assisted by Rev J M Plowden and Rev J H  Whitmore, D D. The pallbears were: Active, D R Johnson, Jr, E W Taylor, Jr, Simon Warren Sanders, W D  Sanders, I Newton Sanders, and D B Sanders, who were her grandsons and nephews. Honorary, J Reid, John Knox, J L Henry, C E Taylor, W D McCaig, W H Walker, Judge E K Bryan, Dr Andrew Harris and Col Walker Taylor.
Among the many friends in attendance were Rev John Fairley, Rev and Mrs R C  Clontz, Rev Marion Murray, Arthur John, Rev and Mrs A H Howell, Mrs W M Cumming, Mrs Bradford Reynolds, Louis Goodman, I A H  Millar, John Hall, Mr  and Mrs Price Furkless, Professor Dawkins Judge and Mrs E A Cramner.
The large attendance of relatives and friends which crowded the church and overflowed into the surrounding grove together with the floral offerings which were both profuse and beautiful, all were a mute attestation to the love and respect in which the deceased was held.

Wilmington Moring Star, Wilmington, NC;  Wednesday October 22, 1930
Prominent Former Wilmingtonian Will Be Buried at Bellevue Cemetery
Funeral services for Col George L Morton, of Atlanta, formerly of Wilmington, who died last Sunday night in New York from a heart attack, are to be held this faternoon at 3 o’clock from the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence D. Maffitt, 219 South Fifth street. The Rev C H Storey, pastor of the St Andrew’s Presbyterian church, will hold the services. Interment will be at Bellevue cemetery.
Honorary pallbearers will be: Lyman Delano, H C McQueen, F H Fectig, D L Eubanks, C McD Davis, Judge George Rountree, P R Albright, M W Divine, Geo B Elliott, M J Corbett, Walter Bucknor, H H McIlhenny, J V Grainger, J O Carr, Walker Taylor, Benjamin Solomon, John Hill Brown and W H Sprunt.
Active pallbearers, members of Col Morton’s office staff, will be W J McGee, F J Vestal, C A Joiner, J S Brown, T Turney and L K Morrison.

Morning Star, Wilmington, NC 3 Dec 1936
Funeral Rites Conducted For Mrs Elizabeth Morton
JACKSONVILLE, December 2. Mrs Elizabeth Morton, 83, widow of John B Morton, died at her home, near Jacksonville, at 7:35 o'clock a.m., Wednesday, November 25.  She had been in declining health for several years but was confined to her bed only a few weeks.
Surviving are two sons, I T and J W Morton, Jacksonville; 23 grandchildren and 25 great-grandchildren, three married daughters having preceded her in death.
Funeral services were conducted at the graveside in the family burying ground at 2:30 p.m. Thursday by Elder E F Pollard, Jacksonville. The many beautiful floral offerings and the large number of friends and relatives present attested the high esteem in which the deceased was held.

Richmond Times Dispatch, Richmond, Virginia; Monday, January 29, 1940
George Henry Davis, 69, died Sunday in a local hospital. Surviving him are his wife, Mrs Bessie Chappell Davis; three daughters, Mrs Stuart B Gordon and Mrs Clinton S Robb of Richmond and Mrs William B Upchurch of Arlington; fours sons, George H Jr, John B and Roy W Davis, all of Richmond, and Charles W Davis of Mobile, Alabma; a sister, Mrs Eugene Philyaw of Wilmington, NC and two grandchildren. The body rests at the Joseph W Bliley Funeral Home, Third and Marshall Streets, where services will be held at 3:30 PM, Monday. Burial will be in Riverview Cemetery.
(George Henry Davis was born in Wilmington, NC on 26 May 1870, the son of Samuel John Davis and Rachel Hallen Wright of Wilmington, NC.)

Sunday Star News, Wilmington, NC November 30, 1947
Mrs. Nettie Freeman Morton, died at the residence of her son Gilbert F Morton, 319 Walnut Street last night following a long illness. Mrs Morton was the daughter of the late E W and Mary Marshall Freeman and was a member of Southside Baptist church. Surviving besides her husband C E Morton, retired contractor, of Wilmington are two sons, Gilbert F Morton and Robert G Morton, both of Wilmington; one sister, Miss Lou Freeman of Silverdale, NC; two brothers, E W Freeman of Silverdale, NC, and C M Freeman of Maysville, NC; three grandchildren, Gloria, Elizabeth Hayes and Robert G Morton, Jr, all of Wilmington. Funeral arrangements under the direction of Andrews Mortuary will be announced later.

Wilmington Morning Star December 1, 1947
Mrs Nettie Freeman Morton, died at the residence of her son Gilbert F Morton, 319 Walnut Street Saturday night following a long illness.
Mrs Morton was the daughter of the late E W and Mary Marshall Freeman and was a member of Southside Baptist church. Surviving besides her husband, C E Morton, retired contractor, of Wilmington are two sons, Gilbert F Morton and Robert G Morton, both of Wilmington; one sister, Miss Lou Freeman of Silver, NC, two brothers, E W Freeman, of Silverdale, and C M Freeman of Maysville, three grandchildren, Gloria, Elizabeth Hayes and Robert G Morton, Jr., all of ments under the direction of Andrews Mortuary will be announced later.
Funeral services will be conducted from the chapel of Andrews Mortuary, Monday afternon at 2:30 o'clock by the Rev G C Moore, assisted by Dr Eugene D Witherspoon. Interment will follow in Oakdale cemetery.
Pallbearers will be Honorary, John donnelly, James Donnelly, Frank Cox, Albert Solomon, Addison Hewlett, Sr, John Carter, Dr H A Codington, W A Simon and W R Jones, Sr; Active, Vernon Cheek, Earl Orrell, George F Tienken, Ronald Lane, R H Stanley and E S Capps, Jr.

Wilmington Morning Star 02/08/1948
City Purchasing Agent, Building Inspector Died Yesterday Funeral services for Gilbert F Morton, 42, city purchasing agent and building inspector for the past six years, who died yesterday at 9 a.m. will be conducted Monday at 3 pm from the chapel of Andrews morturay.
The Rev E D Witherspoon will have charge of the Morton services, and will be assisted by the Rev Guy C Moore. Interment will be in Oakdale cemetery.
He had been ill for approximately three weeks after suffering a heart attack.
Concerning his death, City Manager J R Benson said: "The community has lost a fine citizen and the city government a valuable employe.  I feel a great personal loss in losing his wise counsel."
Until a permanent replacement is made to fill the vacancy left by Morton's death, Benson said that City Auditor  D B Padgett will act as purchasing agent and the city engineer will act as building inspector.
A native of Wilmington, Morton graduated from New Hanover High school and later with honors from the Blackstone Military academy in Blacksburg, VA.  He also attended North Carolina State college.
He was active in the Building Officials conference of America and was a member of a four-man committee to draft a national building code.
Before his tenure as purchasing agent and building inspector, he was superintendent of the county WPA office. He was a member of the Lions and the Wilmington Engineers clubs and also a member of the Capital Improvements committee of the Community Chest.
Surviving are his widow, Mrs Ruby W Morton, one daughter, Gloria, eight, a brother, Robert, and his father, C E Morton.

Wilmington Morning Star 03/02/1948
Robert G Morton, 39 safety engineer with the U.S. Corps of Engineers, stationed at Fort Bragg, died yesterday morning at Bulluck's Clinic. He was stricken with a heart attack at 11 pm Sunday.
Mr Morton, brother of the late Gilbert F Morton, city building inspector who died here about a month ago, was the son of CE and the late Mrs Nettie F Morton of Wilmington. His widow, Mrs Bess Orrell Morton; their son, Robert G Morton, Jr; and a daughter, Elizabeth Hayes Morton, who resides in Piney Woods.
Mr Morton had been employed by the US Engineers as safety engineer for the past five years.
Funeral services will be conducted from the chapel of Andrews Mortuary this afternoon at 3 o'clock with the Rev J A Nielson officiating, assisted by the Rev TH King.  Interment will follow in Oakdale cemetery.
Pallbearers will be, honorary: P M Snell, W B Baldwin, Brooks Long, LeRoy Halbrook, J Harrell Grimes, Robert E Suggs, Dr E C Anderson, Dr W C Mebane, Lee Porter, John Donnelly, James Donnelly, R D Cronly,Jr, Addison Hewlett, Sr, J A Orrell, Abraham Solomon, Albert Solomon, Roger W Hewlett, Addison Hewlett, Jr, John T Butters, L H Waters, Sr, active: Leon Hall, George Tienken, R H Stanley, R M Waldorf, Otto Edwards, and Gillium Anderson.

Wilmington Star 04/22/1953
Charles E Morton, died early today at the home of his sister, Mrs E W Freeman of Silverdale, NC, after a long illness.
Mr Morton came to Wilminton in 1905 and was associated with the Morton and Cox Contracting Co. He was born in Onslow County, September 26, 1868 and was the son of the late Edgar B and Merinda Thomas Morton. He was also the father of the late Gilbert and Robert Morton.
He was a member of the Southside Baptist Church and was a deacon for many years prior to his illness. He was a member of the Junior Order United American Mechanics, George Washington Council No. 67.
Survivors include one sister, Mrs. Freman; two brothers, Edgar Morton of Silverdale and Stephen Morton of Atlanta, Georgia.

The Robesonian, December 4, 1959
Farimont - Mrs Alice Curtis Warwick, 72, of Orrum, widow of Hardy Warwick, died at 5:50 pm Thursday in Robeson Memorial Hospital after an illness of two weeks.
Mrs Warwick was a member of Orrum Baptist church and a teacher of the Adult Women's Sunday School class, an Order of Eastern Star mother of Porctorville Chapter 307, and a past president of the Women's Missionary Union. A native of Wilmington, she was a daughter of the late John Jefferson and Ruth Ellen Craig Curtis.
Surviving are three sons, Hardy Warwick of Cincinnati, Ohio, Elbert Warwick of Yakima, Washington, and Joe Warwick of Lumberton; three daughters, Mrs W B Hall of McDonald, Mrs Bobby Jones of Fairmont, and Mrs Hazel Walters of the home; nine grandchildren; two great grandchildren; a brother, J W Curtis of Wilmington; and a sister, Mrs H M Russ of Hendersonville.
The funeral will be conducted at 3 pm Saturday in Prevatte Funeral Chapel by Rev S M Dorton, assisted by Rev Donald Holland. Burial will be in Floyd Memorial cemetery.

Wilmington Morning Star, Wilmington, NC March 5th, 1963, page 12
Mrs Mildred T Morton, 85, widow of George L Morton, died Saturday in Atlanta, Georgia, after a long illness. She was born in Louisville, Ky, May 13, 1878, daughter of the late Robert Coleman and Gerelda Kelly Thompson Jr. She was a member of the Cathedral of Chirst the King Catholic Church in Atlanta
Survivors include one son, George L  Morton of Atlanta, Ga; one daughter, Mrs M L Woodward of Miami, Florida; three sisters, Mrs Clarence D Maffitt of Wilmington, Sister Immaculata of Cincinnati, Ohio, and Sister Saint Frances of Warsaw, NY.
Recitation of the Rosary was held Monday night in the H M Patterson-Son Funeral Home, Atlanta, Georgia.   Requiem Mass will be said Tuesday morning at 11:45 o’clock at St  Mary’s Catholic Church in Wilmington by the Rev Louis Morton.  Interment will be in Bellevue Cemetery.
Pallbearers will be Michael C Brown, G  F Elfe, J  J Eiden, William L Fox, Robert Walsak and August S Klein.

Washington Post, Washington, DC, 21 Oct 1978
H C McClammy, Federal Nuclear Research Official
Air Force Col Herbert Charles McClammy, 46, an assistant director for nuclear research, development and testing for military applications for the Department of Energy died at Mt Vernon Hospital Tuesday after an apparent heart attack. Col McClammy, a metallurgy specialist was assigned to his nuclear work four years ago and remained with it when it became part of the Department of Energy. Before that, he had been on the faculties of the Air Force Academy and the Air University at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama.
A native of Wilmington, NC, he earned a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Florida in 1953. He later earned a master's degree in aeronautical engineering from the Air Force Institute of Technology at Dayton, Ohio, and a doctorate in business administration from Auburn University.
Col McClammy was a member of Sigma Xi, a scientific society, and the American Society for Metals.
Survivors include his wife, Martha, and three children, James Schott, Martha Ann and Richard Alan, all of the home in Alexandria; his mother, Jeanette Pleasants, and his stepfather, Ben Pleasants of Reidsville, NC; two sisters Deane Klimpel of New York City, and Carlyn Kriegel, of Atlanta, and a stepbrother, Ben Pleasants, of Los Angeles.
(Herbert Charles McClammy was born in Wilmington on 3 Nov 1931, the son of Herbert McClammy and Mae Jeanette McGuinness.)

Wilmington Morning Star, Saturday, Feb. 11, 1978
George Lee Morton Jr, 70, of 825 Starlight Drive, North East, Atlanta, Georgia, died Thursday in Atlanta after a sudden illness. Mr Morton is survived by one sister, Mrs Eliza M Woodward of Miami Beach; one nephew, George M Woodward of Miami Beach; two nieces, Mrs John Logan of Louisiana, Missouri, and Mrs Robert Sedlak of San Bernardino, California; and two cousins, Mrs William Fortune of Roanoke, Virginia, and Mrs. Ann Thompson of Los Angeles.
Funeral services will be conducted Monday at 10 a.m. in Atlanta from Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Church.
Graveside services will be conducted Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. in Wilmington, at the Bellevue Cemetery with Father Albert Tittinger officiating. In lieu of flowers, the family request memorials be made to the American Red Cross.