Franklin County, North Carolina
click image to enlarge
|PLANTATION NAME:||VINE HILL PLANTATION|
|ASSOCIATED LINK(s):||Myrtle Lawn, Archibald H. Davis Plantation, Cherry Hill|
|OWNER:||Robert Webb Williams (1792-1822); Archibald Davis Williams (1821-1904)|
|BUILT:||originally before 1822; remodeled in 1856|
|ASSOCIATED SURNAMES:||Williams, Davis|
Vine Hill Plantation was owned by Robert Webb Williams (1792-1822), and later his wife Harty Hodges Davis (1793-1868) managed it for the care of their 5 children until they became of age. It may have actually been started by Robert's father, Maj. William Williams (1760-1838) because he was the legal owner of the land in 1838 when he left it to his daughter-in-law, Harty, at which time he said it had been where his son Robert had lived. It was later inherited by Harty's youngest son, Archibald Davis Williams (1821-1904) who lived there with his wife, Lucy Ann Lewis (1822-1879) and their 12 children. The home was located originally in the area called Reuben Town, now Centerville, Franklin County.
William Williams, the son of Solomon Williams (ca 1723-1794) & Temperance Bodie (ca 1730-1784) was married 1st in 1785 Sussex Co. VA to Ruina Elizabeth Webb (ca 1765-1789), and 2nd on Dec. 4, 1790 to Elizabeth Kinchen Kearney (1769-1863), who was the mother of Robert W. Williams, b. Feb 27, 1792/d. Nov. 15, 1822. Robert W. Williams married in Oct. 1812 to Hartwell ("Harty") Hodges Davis, daughter of Archibald Davis (1766-1821) and Elizabeth Jane Hilliard (1769-1816).
Children of Robert Webb Williams & Harty Hodges Davis were:
An Inventory by his father, William Williams, administrator of the estate, written March 8, 1823, shows that Robert W. Williams had 40 Slaves, no names were given. In 1830, Harty (Davis)Williams had 21 Slaves in Franklin Co; in 1850 Harty Williams had 7 Slaves, Archibald Williams had 4 Slaves; In 1860 Archibald D. Williams had 51 Slaves.
|Slaves listed in the 1836 Division of Slaves Robert W. Williams:|
|Lott No. 1 drawn by
MRS. HARTY H. WILLIAMS:
|Lott No. 2 drawn by
ROBERT E. WILLIAMS:
|Lott No. 3 drawn by
ARCHIBALD D. WILLIAMS:
See Estate of Robert Webb Williams, 1836, Franklin Co, NC, for entire transcription of Division of Slaves
|RESEARCH NOTES:|| Robert W.
Williams brother-in-law was Archibald H. Davis, owner of
Cypress Hall, and his son, Robert Edgar
Williams, became owner of Myrtle Lawn Plantation
in Warren Co., NC. His sister, Marina Priscilla Williams, married
George W. Davis, of Warren Co., where she built Cherry
|MISCELLANEOUS:||National Register of Historic Places Application; Estate of Robert Webb Williams,1836; Robert Webb and Harty Hodge David Williams Family Bible; Dr. R. Edgar Williams Bible; photo of Hartwell Hodges Davis-Williams; Lucy Tunstall Alston Williams Papers, 1827-1979|
North Carolina Plantations
A NCGenWeb Special Project
© 2016 to present by NCGenWeb Project Inc.