Will of Seth "Ty" Pettypool
Dated Nov 12, 1838, Proved Nov 1843
N.C. Dept. of Archives - Granville Co., NC wills -
In the name of God Amen. I Seth Pettypool of the
county of Granville and state of North Carolina
being in a low state of health but in perfect sound
mind, do by these presence make and ordain this my
last will and testament seting (sic) aside all
1. It is my wish and desire that my beloved wife
Elizabeth Pettypool should have all my estate during
her life to hold in peaceable possession so long as
she should live, consisting of land, stock, negroes,
house hold and every thing that I possess.
2. It is my wish and desire that after the death of
my said wife Elizabeth Pettypool all my land
estate(?) much or little should be eaqueally (sic)
divided between my son Seth Pettypool and my son
3. It is my wish and desire that the remainder of my
Estate after giving my son Seth Pettypool and
Alexander Pettypool one bed and furniture each, and
also unto my daughter Dosha Pettypool one bed and
furniture and one side saddle and to my daughter
Patsy Tailor Pettypool one bed and furniture and one
side saddle, to be sold and after paying all my just
debts to be divided in the following manner.
4. It is my wish and desire that my son Thomas
Pettypool should have the sum of one dollar.
5. It is my wish and desire that my granddaughter
Elizabeth Daniel be paid the sun of one dollar and
the remainder of my estate to be eaqually (sic)
divided between my other six children in the
1. that my daughter Sally (Averett or Avery?)'s part
shall be eaually (sic) divided between all her
2. and also that my daughter Elizabeth
Melton's(Milton?) part be eaqually divided between
her two sons, Stephen Melton and William Melton.
3. also one portion to my son Seth Pettypool
4. and also one portion to my daughter Dosha
5. and also one portion to my daughter Patsy T.
6. and also one portion to my son Alexander
I also leave my son Seth Pettypool and my son
Alexander Pettypool my executives to my last will
and testament as witnessed I hereunto set my hand
and affix my seal this day and date above mentioned.
Seth Pettypool (his mark)
Witnessed by Gabriel Jones and William P.______?
The execution of this will took place in November
Court, 1843. Gabriel Jones came forth as a witness,
and Seth P. Pool, named as an executor, was duly
qualified as such.