Last Will and Testament of Cornelia
|State of North Carolina
County of Granville
I, Cornelia Davis, of the County of Granville, State of North Carolina, being of sound mind and memory, do make, publish and declare this to be my last will and testament, in words following, that is to say:
1. I wish that my body may be given decent burial and that all my just debts be paid by my executor hereinafter named out of any funds belonging to my estate coming into his hands.
2. I direct that all the land which I own in fee simple shall after my death be divided into seven shares, or into as many shares as there shall be children of mine, or children of deceased children per ?? living at my death, and I give and devise to each of my daughters Genetta Wilson, Augusta Haswell, Araminta Haswell, Cordelia Davis, and Cora Davis one share of my said land, to each of them for the term of their natural lives and after their death to the child or children of said daughters in fee simple, but if either of my said daughters shall die without issue living at the time of their death, then the share herein devised to such daughter shall revert to and vest in my heirs at law in fee simple. And I give and devise to my son Lawrence Davis one share in my real estate in fee simple. And to my grandchildren Hubert and Lucy Inscore, children of my deceased daughter Sarafina Inscore, I give and devise one share in my said real estate in fee simple.
3. It is my will that the said lands devised in the preceding paragraph shall be actually partitioned and not sold for division.
4. Whereas my only son Lawrence has been faithful in taking care of me and looking after the farm, and has in the course of such employment purchased and added to the live stock, machinery, and tools, now therefore in order that there may not be any dispute as to whom these belong, I devise and bequeath to my said son Lawrence Davis all my interest and right, if I have any, in and to the horse, mules, oxen, farming tools and all machinery of whatever nature which are now or may be at the time of my death in use on my said farm lands or on that in which I have a life estate coming from my deceased husband Jonathan F. Davis.
5. I name as the executor of this my last will and testament my son Lawrence Davis, who shall not be required to give any bond.
Cornelia Davis (her mark X)
Signed, sealed, published, and declared to be her list will and testament by Cornelia Davis, who signed the same in our presence, we being requested by her to act as witnesses thereto and who signed the same as witnesses thereof in her presence and in the presence of each other. This the 24th day of November 1908.
W. A. Davis
L. F. Smith
This note was attached to the will:
To the Clerk of Superior Court of Granville Co. We the undersigned heirs of Mrs. Cornelia Davis estate do recommend that H. S. Powell be appointed as the administrator of the estate.
Herbert Inscoe (his mark X)
©2007 to present by Carla Stancil, Nola Duffy, Deloris Williams,for the NCGenWeb Project. No portion of any document appearing on this site is to be used for other than personal research. Any republication or reposting is expressly forbidden without the written consent of the owner. Last updated 11/20/2013
| Top |