New About Search Data Deeds Military Wills Links Query Home



Oxford Public Ledger

November 1903


Entered into Rest


Mrs. Ann Hasseltine Faucett, the wife of Mr. James Faucett, was born August 1844, and died Nov. 27th, 1903. After a mixed life of 59 years of happiness, sorrow, suffering, and service –service for her loved ones and her God, she entered peacefully into that “rest that remaineth for the people of God.” Sister Faucett was  the daughter of Nathaniel E. Cannady, one of the most excellent and  honorable citizens Granville county ever had. Her death leaves Mr. John H. Cannady, her brother, as the only living  child by her fathers first marriage.

Sister Faucett was a devoted wife, not only in the gush of early love did she call her husband “darling” but to the Close of life she addressed him by that affectionate title. As a mother, her love for her four children was  unbounded. It must have been a joy to see her children all grown and starting off well in life. It was a noble work to raise four good children. In early life sister Faucett professed faith in Christ and joined Brassfield Baptist Church. Her plenty was not of the demonstrative kind, but was sincere and steady. She loved to attend church whenever her delicate health would permit.

On Saturday, the 28th of November her body was carried home in Oxford and laid to rest in the family burying ground in the country. The interment was witnessed by many sorrowing relatives and friends.

The funeral services were conducted by Rev. J. A. Stradley. “ How blest the righteous when they die, when sinks a weary soul to rest; How mildly becomes the closing   eye, How gently heaves the expiring breast.” ---A FRIEND.—


Oxford Public Ledger
Wednesday, March 15, 1912

Mr. Otho Faucette Dead.

Relatives in Oxford received the sad intelligence early Monday morning last that Mr. Otha Faucette died in Denver, Colorado, the night before His brother, Mr. N. E. Faucette, who resides at Wilton, this county, was immediately advised and he wired instruction to embalm the body and forward remains to Oxford. We are not advised as to the hour the body will reach Oxford, but the remains will be met by the old fellow, of which the deceases was a member, and escorted to Hester, Granville county, for interment.
Mr. Faucette left Oxford about a year ago in search of health and it was hoped that the Colorado air would heal the lungs, but the climate and medical skill was not equal to the great white plague.
The deceased was about twenty-eight years of age, of broad and handsome statue; was universally popular and loved for his many noble traits of character.
The deceased has many relatives in Granville county—the Cannady-Green families.



Oxford Public Ledger
Friday, February 5, 1895

Gathered Home.

Rev. Thomas U. Faucette’s Noble Career Ended.

It is our painful duty to announce to the world the death of this venerable minister of the gospel who in early life for many years was the beloved pastor of the Oxford Presbyterian church which prospered under his ministration and during his pastorate he made many friends. During a large part of his life he served faithfully and well other churches in the State. After a long absence from Oxford, a few years ago he returned to this place among the dear friends of former years, with the view of opening a female school in which his wife was to be the chief instructress, as the infirmities of age were making some impress on his physical condition, having passed his three score years and ten. He however heard some of the important classes of the school room with the zeal and energy of his younger days, for be if known he was not without experience as a teacher. He was well educated and knew well how to impart instruction in the school room well as in the pulpit. The cause of death of Mr. Faucette was attributable to an attack of paralysis, which was principally at first on one side. This at the outset did not destroy his consciousness or his ability to converse with his family and friends. His thoughts and conversation however were much of a religious bearing, and he was evidently prepared for whatever his Lord and master might have in store for him as his faith was simple and strong in Jesus, from he had faithfully served from early part life until he passed beyond free score years and ten. His children were at his beside in the sueme moment when his spirit left his body. His pastor, Rev. J. E. Thacker, between whom and himself was great brotherly love was sensitive to him during his brief illness. Mr. Faucette stood high with everybody who knew him for his --??_ and blameless life, and he had a large circle of friends and acquaintances . The funeral devices were conducted at the Presbyterian church Wednesday morning at 11 by Mr. Thacker, by whom appropriate remarks were made not. Only by him but also by Rev. R. I. Devin, a venerable Minister of the Baptist church, who had been a life long friend of the deceased, and also by Rev. J. B. Hurley, pastor of the Methodist church.’
Many of our readers will sorrow at the death of Mr. Faucette and we offer to his family words of sympathy in this hour of their deep sorrow.
The pallbearers were Messrs. J. P. Stedman, J. A. Webb, F. B. Wimbish, T. D. Clement, R. S. Usry, Capt. John A. Williams and Col. J. S. Amis. The interment took place in Elmwood cemetery.


Oxford Torch Light
Wednesday, November 16, 1887

Two Men Drowned.

The following we take from the Mecklenburg Democrat

On Saturday last a most heart rendering casualty occurred at the mill of Mr. A. K. Fleming on Nutbush on the North Carolina line which resulted in the drowning of Mr. Fleming and his miller, Mr. Lynch. It seems that the freshet had carried away the bridge, and these gentlemen attempted to cross the stream Nutbush creek in a small canoe; soon after starting the canoe, creened- (?-) somewhat build Mr. Lynch, who could not swim immediately seized Mr. Fleming from behind, pinning the latter’s arms to his body, the movement upset the boat and both were thrown into the water. Mr. Fleming begged his frightened companion to let him go, but rendered ranted by fear held to Mr. Fleming with super human grasp .
Mr. Fleming was an excellent swimmer, tried in vain to free himself from the drowning man, but all his efforts were unavailing and served to exhaust the strength of both, and in a few moments both were down to rise no more. On Sunday morning the creek was dragged and the bodies of the two unfortunately men were found no more than twenty feet from where the canoe was overturned; the body of Mr. Fleming being clasped in the arms of Mr. Lynch, death not having the power to relax the grasp. The terror stricken man had taken upon the other while the boat commended to capsize. The death of these two gentlemen has cast a gloom of the entire community in which they lived, and is a source of universal regret , as they were both men of high character and esteemed by all who knew them.


Oxford Public Ledger
Friday, January 8, 1892

Died near Hester’s on Dec. 31st, Mrs. John Fleming, the wife of Major Fleming. She was about 75 years of age and was greatly beloved by her neighborhood, as she was charitable to fault, ever ready and willing to comfort the afflicted and aid the distressed.



Oxford Public Ledger
February 8, 1900

Death of Mr. H. A. Foote

Last morning Mr. H. A. Foote was stricken down with paralysis at his residence on Bragg street. He was badly effected on the entire left size and from the very first his case was pronounced hopeless. He lingered on in unconsciousness till his death on Wednesday morning. His family were all with him as was his sister Mrs. M. A. Simmons, of Wake Forest.
Mr. Foote was 54 years old. His career has been a notable one. When only a boy of eighteen years he enlisted in the Confederate army and was with the immortal few Confederates who surrendered with Lee and Johnston. He was an alumnus of Wake Forest College, a practicing attorney for twenty odds years, an ardent democrat and was for over twenty years editor of the Warrenton Gazette, and labored hard through the columns of his paper for the up building of his native county and town.
He leaves a wife and six children, five daughters and one son, to whom the sympathies of the entire town go out.---Warrenton Record.





Oxford Public Ledger
Thursday, January 17, 1896

Sudden Death.

Mrs. Forsyth, wife of H. L. Forsyth, went over to her old home in Granville county some days ago on a visit. The sad news was brought here today that while sitting in a chair she fell over and expired in a few minutes. It was very sudden. She leaves several children who work in the East Durham factories. Her remains will be interred in Granville at her old home.--Durham Sun




Oxford Public Ledger
Saturday, January 27, 1912

Mrs. Hallie S. Franklin Dead.

At her home in Danville, Va., Jan 22, 1912, the gentle loving spirit took its flight from the sorrows of earth to the joys of Heaven, Sister Franklin was a daughter of D.Y. Hunt and wife of Granville county. At 12 years of age sister Franklin professed faith in Christ and was Baptized into the fellowship of Enon Baptist Church. After her marriage to Mr. L. W. Franklin she moved to Danville, and became a member of the First Baptist Church there. In the midst of a busy, useful life as church member, wife and mother she was called away in the 33rd year of her life. How mysterious that one who had so much to live for as Christian, wife and mother be taken away from her needed services so early in life! But God makes no mistakes as the right time for her departure had come.
Sister Franklin’s loving mother passed on to heaven several years ago. How happy it was for mother and daughter to meet again to part no more.
She leaves behind a true and loving husband, and five bright lovely little children, Carmilla, Wellons, Elizabeth, Thelma, and Earl. She also leaves a father, D. Y. Hunt, and six brothers and sisters, Mrs. Kate Cheatham, Mrs. C. H. Parham, Mrs. J. H. Cheatham, and Mrs. Geo. E. Cheatham and brother Willie, Bennie and Tommie Hunt.
Sister Franklin was a great sufferer before death came to her release. But she bore her sufferings with Christian fortitude and resignation to the Divine will. She saw her heavenly home without a cloud or shadow between. She went rejoicing home to Heaven.
She wanted to live to raise her children, but she begged those who had charge of them to try and lead them to Christ in early life, that they might be true Christians.
She was buried in the Green-hill cemetery, Danville, Va. The burial services were conducted by her pastor, Rev. J. E. Hicks. “Dearest sister thou has left us, Here thy loss we deeply feel; But ‘tis God who has bereft us, He can all our sorrows heal.” -J. A. S.-



The Torch Light
Tuesday, January 15, 1878


In this county on the 15th of November 1877, Mr. Beverly D. Frazier in the 70th year of his age. He was a member of the Baptist Church 43 years and a very useful and highly respectable citizen.


Public Ledger
July 6, 1899

Gone Up Higher.

On Saturday evening June 10th, the grim monster entered the home of Mr. J. E. Frazier, and claimed his bright little son, aged 5 years. He was only sick a few days and is now among the blessed in heaven. Weep not dear parents as your boy is “Asleep in Jesus.” The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away, blessed be the name of the Lord.
May the God of love and mercy hover around the bereaved ones in their hour of great affliction and comfort and sustain them.---A FRIEND.—


Oxford Public Ledger
( Frances B. Hayes Books)
Friday, March 1, 1940

J. H. Frazier Is Buried In County
Angina Attack Fatal to Granville Native and World War Veteran

Johnnie H. Frazier, Granville county native and a former resident of Oxford, died at his home in Norfolk, Va., Tuesday morning when he suffered an attack of angina. He was 44 years old.
The body was brought to the home of Mr. Frazier’s father, B. F. Frazier on Hancock Street, Wednesday afternoon, to await the funeral Thursday afternoon. Rev. C. W. Hilman, pastor of Fairmount Methodist Church, Norfolk and Rev. G. Van, Stephens, pastor of Bullock Baptist church, were in charge of the service Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock at Bullock Baptist church. Burial was in the cemetery there.
Mr. Frazier had resided in Norfolk for about 11 years and was engaged at the Naval Base there. A World War veteran, Mr. Frazier, was one of the first in this country to volunteer and he served about two years in France with an engineering division in a machine gun unit.
Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Anne Bullock Frazier, his father, B. F. Frazier, two sisters, Mrs. W. L. Speed and Miss Jane Frazier.
Active pallbearers were R. P. Lambert, D. B. Smith, J. C. Craig, Louis Bernard, A. F. Bullock and Mr. Lockmey.




Oxford Public Ledger
Wednesday, May 22, 1912
A Good Soldier Gone.

(*Note: This obituary is transcribed as is in the newspaper as all obituaries are, but please note there are a lot of mistakes in the dates that do not add up.)

Rhodes H. Frazier was born in Granville county, May 27th, 1883 and died at his home near Oxford, September 15th, 1911, age 78. At the age of 21, he married Cornelia H. Chandler who still lives. There was born unto them, Adolphus Y., Algerman, Ed Lee, Sol and Sam, and four daughters, Mrs. Nelson, Mrs. Brooks, Mrs. Gooch, and Miss Mollie, all of whom are living but Algerman and Mollie.
May 6th, 1852, Mr. Frazier volunteered as Confederate Soldier under Capt. M. T. Smith. He belonged to 55th N. C. Troops, commanded by John Kerr Connolly at Gettysburg. He lost an arm and was taken prisoner, after 6 months of prison life at David’s Island he was exchanged and discharged from his old company in Granville. There still remained honored veterans, William Stovall, Sol. T. Satterwhite, Jno. P. Cannady, James Currin, M. H. Hester, T. J. Murray, S. R. Puckett and B. P. Thorp. Mr. Frazier was a good solider, brave, obedient and self-sacrificing. Once however he got into the guard house. He was fond of singing and quite pleasant in prayer; at one of the prayer meetings in camp he and some others prolonged services beyond drum taps, greatly to the disturbance of some in camp for this thoughtless offence, Col. Connolly put him in the guard house.
He came out of the army with one hand, poor and discouraged but by hard work and strick economy he managed to raise a large family and leaves behind a good name and comfortable home.
He was for nearly in half century a member of the Hester Baptist church; here also he was a “good soldier” as long as he was able to attend, he was prompt, punctual and helpful. He was noted for his love of the church, his peaceable life and ready helpfulness. He was gifted in prayer song and served the church well as a faithful deacon.
He was buried near his home by the side of his departed daughter, Mollie. He will be remembered for his goodness both home and abroad.
We therefore resolve that a copy of this be spread upon the church minutes, one to the bereaved family and one to the Public Ledger for publication.
M. G. Brooks, Flem Beasley, N. F. Hobgood, Committee.


Oxford Public Ledger
Friday, February 17, 1905

She Rests From Her Labors.

Mrs. Indiana Fuller, relict of the late Capt. J. W. Fuller, died at her home on Asylum street early Monday morning after a short illness with congestion of the lungs. While Mrs. Fuller had been in feeble health for some time her death was rather unexpected by the family, only being sick for a few hours. She was quiet, unassuming in manner and was greatly beloved by those, who knew her best. She was for four years, a member of the Methodist church, and a devoted mother and sister, a warm hearted friend and kind neighbor. Mrs. Fuller had reached her 71st year of life’s journey and “In the Sweet Bye and Bye” her beloved ones will meet her in The Beautiful City, whose builder and maker is God.
The funeral services were held at her late residence on Tuesday afternoon conducted by Rev. F. M. Shamburger, assisted by Dr. A. B. Dunaway, and the interment was in Elmwood Cemetery by the side of her companion who had proceeded her to the grave.
She leaves behind three sons, Messrs. Dudley, Newman and Joe Fuller, and one daughter, Mrs. Peed, and two brothers, Messrs. John and Alex Bragg to mourn her demise, to all of whom we extend our condolences.


Oxford Torchlight
Tuesday, November 30, 1886

On Friday, 26th inst., Mr. Wesley Fuller, of Brassfield township, aged 65 years, died suddenly.
The deceased was truly a good man, and his death is much regretted by the community in which he lived.




©2010 by  NCGenWeb Project.  No portion of  any document appearing on this site is to be used for other than personal research.  Any republication or reposting is expressly forbidden without the written consent of the owner. Last updated 01/02/2012