How did I not know about this resource? Perhaps you knew about it; if not, you’re sure to be pleasantly surprised. The State Library has an online database that will help you identify newspapers that may have covered a particular area of interest in NC. Need to know what papers were published in Craven County in 1917? Covered! Need to know what papers would cover Asheville in the late 1880s? The NC Newspaper has you covered there too.
You can access the database online at http://cinch.nclive.org/newspaper/. Recently, the library staff uploaded a YouTube video to help you learn how to navigate and search.
The database includes records about the library’s holdings so keep that in mind as you search. Just because you don’t find what you need, does not mean it does not exist.
Some additional resources for your NC newspaper searches include:
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project – digitized issues of several NC newspapers; covers 1750s-late 1800s
- North Carolina Newspapers – at Google News Archive
- NC People in the News – online abstracts of vitals representing many individuals across the country
- NC Newspapers – digitized papers at digitalnc.org
- NC Newspaper Extracts Bibliography – locate print books with NC newspaper abstracts