Updated 09/05/2009

@2009 - Sue Ashby

bighistory.jpg (23246 bytes)

Moore Co. Courthouse as it appears today


Moore County was formed in 1784 from Cumberland County. It was named in the honor
of Captain Alfred Moore of Brunswick, a soldier of the Revolution and
afterwards a judge of the Supreme Court of the United States. Moore County
is in the south central section of the State and bounded by Harnett, Hoke, Scotland, Richmond,
Montgomery, Randolph, Chatham, and Lee counties.
The act establishing the county provided for the erection of the public buildings. In 1795 an act was passed which stated that the location of the courthouse was inconvenient; it named commissioners to purchase land near the center of the county and erect a new courthouse. In 1796 an act was passed establishing Carthage on land where the courthouse was to stand. In 1803 an act was passed naming commissioners to lay out a town and build a courthouse as directed in the act of 1796. In 1806, Carthage was changed to Feaginsville. In 1818, "Feaginsville" was changed back to Carthage, and is now the county seat.
The surface of the county is moderately uneven; in the northern part there is clay foundation
and much good land; the southern part has sandy land with heavy pine forests;
western is hilly and abounds with minerals, gold mines, millstones & c.(?)
The water power is very good, there being many never-failing streams. Good timber is abundant.
The county is now well supplied with railroads; in fact it claims to have the
largest mileage of any county of this State. Almost every product raised in the State
can be raised in Moore County. There is no good reason whay this may not be,
in a very few years, one of the very richest sections of North Carolina.*

* Levi Branson, 1898

greybar2.gif (3673 bytes)

...About Moore County Schools...

From _Moore County North Carolina 1747-1847_ by Blackwell P. Robinson: p.154 - "Before the American Revolution there are few records pertaining to schools or education in Cumberland-Moore. The schools that did exist were those conducted in the home as a private undertaking or those of he "old field" or neighborhood type. In addition, there was the apprenticeship system, . . . .In general, the "old field" school was conducted at the residence of the teacher. . . .
. . . . Three different grants of land in the years 1767-1770 refer to "the schoolhouse branch of Crane's Creek," which is fairly conclusive
evidence that a school antedating 1767 existed on this creek. . . .between
Cameron and Vass, there existed prior to, during, and after the Civil War, a school, a church and a post office, known as Crane's Creek.
. . . .there was a schoolhouse, prior to 1793, at the head of Jame's
Creek. Another existed, prior to 1810, just north of Hurd's pond, on a
branch of Horses Creek "above Patterson's old field." [another] school
sited. . . as being on the "north side of the Joel Road, at the head of
Causeway Branch." . . . .Samuel Cole. . .taught a subscription school there after the Civil War.
. . . .there was an "old school house" on Pond Branch. . . A short
distance northeast of Carthage, east of Colin Spencer's lumber plant. .
.stood "Wilson's old schoolhouse."
[about 1799/1800] . . . trustees...which should be called the Moore
County Academy. Despite this auspicious beginning, the first academy in the county, was short-lived.....
A second academy....known as Solemn Grove Academy [about 1804].
A third academy...Mount Parnassus Academy...located at Carthage, and it continued for years.
1811 - The Euphronian Academy was incorporated.
1833- The Sylvester Academy
c1833 - The Jackson Springs Academy - did not exist after 1851.

Moore County's Population Growth
Year of Census Population
1790 3,770
1800 4,767
1810 6,367
1820 7,128
1830 7,745
1840 7,988
1850 9,342
1860 11,427
1870 12,040
1880 16,821
1900 20,479
1910 17,010
1920 21,388
1930 28,215
1940 30,969
1950 33,129
1960 36,733
greybar2.gif (3673 bytes)

Moore County history is hard to find. If any one would like to add
some here, you are most welcome to.

1820censuslgo.jpg (10806 bytes)

Moore County Genealogical Society, Inc.
Post Office Box 1183
Pinehurst, North Carolina 28374-1183

Moore County Historical Association
Post Office Box 324
Southern Pines, North Carolina 28388

mailbo15.gif (5864 bytes)

greybar2.gif (3673 bytes)

Excerpts from
Branson's 1898 Moore County, NC
Business Directory

Lands for sale listed with D, A, McDonald of Carthage:

No. 1  52 acres, Ritter Gold Mine, 10 miles from Carthage (County seat), Price                $10,000.

No. 2  15 acres, 1 1/2 miles from Carthage, berry and grape land, uncleared, $100.00

No. 3  Five 10 acre tracts near Railroad, 1 1/2 miles from Carthage, suitable for               vineyards, berries and fruit trees, price per tract, $100.00

No. 4  1,000 acres on A. & W. E. R. R. Grape and fruit lands,
           West End, N. C. $2,000

No. 5  183 acres, 1/2 mile from Curriesville, on Carthage and Western Railroad. 
           Four room cottage and store house and barn. A good farm for grain and fruits;
           60 acres under cultivation, $1,000.

flourish15.gif (978 bytes)

1800 Moore Census is online at the Moore Archives.

Moore Co. Archives the Bethlehem Baptist Church Cemetery.

flourish15.gif (978 bytes)

Moore County Railroads 1898

Carthage Railroad 21.60 miles
Hallison Branch 9.00     "
Moore County Railroad 12.50   "
Raleigh & Augusta Air-Line 43.86   "
Aberdeen & Ashboro 23.35   "
Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley 14.68   "
Aberdeen & Rockfish 3.25    "
Durham & Charlotte 20.00   "
Southern Pines & Pinehurst 7.00    "
                                      Having altogether 155.24 miles
flourish15.gif (978 bytes)


Residence of Anderson Jones   -  In the Horseshoe on Deep River is the house that
was once owned by Co. Phil. Alston, in Revolutionary times. A battle fought on one
Sunday mornig there between Alston and David Fanning, the Tory;
some eight men were killed, among whom was one English officeer.
Bullet holes are still to be seen in the walls of the house. The house stands
on the north side of Deep River, in the Horseshoe, and about three hundred
yards from the river bank. It was afterwards the residence of Benjamin W. Williams
while he was Governor. The house is still in good repair and is supposed to be about 150 years old.
(It is now known as the House in the Horseshoe. Every August they hold a reenactment
and is open to the public.  FYI 910/947-2051)

W. D. Harrington's Residence   -  Is situated on the south bank of Deep River
and Governor Creek, about thre hundred yards from the bank of Deep Rivers
and the same distance from the creek. It was the last residence of
Governor Benjamin W. Williams, and his remains lie buried near the residence.
A Confederate soldier by the name of Holleman was drowned at Glenn's Mill on his way home from
Lee's surrender, and was buried at Tyson Graveyard, near to Glenn's Mill, in sight of Glendon.

Cross Hill, of Revolutionary fame   -  Lord Cornwallis camped at Cross Hill,
one mile west of Carthage. His horse bit off the top of a young mulberry tree,
which tree is yet still standing. (as of 1898) His horse-comb was found under the tree
many years after the war. Dr. George Glasscock resided at Cross Hill; he was a surgeon
in our army at Guilford Courthouse. He was first cousin of George Washington - sister's children
Mary Ball and Esther Ball. He was killed about 1790 by a negro and was buried at the place.

Burkett's Church, M. E., South   -  (First text: "Lord, who hath believed our report") -
was one and a half miles northwest of Carthage, and was the place of the first
Methodist preaching in this county, by a preacher - a Mr. McDonald - a Scotchman.
This church is not now standing, the members having built a new church in Carthage.

Mrs. Fannie McNeill, widow of John McNeill, who was a hatter and died in 1840.
Mrs. McNeill is approaching her 84th year - will be October 17th - born in 1814.
Maiden name was Muse, resided at Muse's Station, on the old Fayetteville stage road.

flourish15.gif (978 bytes)

Moore County Courthouse - 1898

courthou.jpg (46180 bytes)

The Court-house intersects the main avenue on the highest ground. It is a substantial
and imposing building. Here you find the offices of D. A. McDonald,
Clerk of the Superior Court (successor to Col. A. H. McNeill,
who held the office for thirty-two years), Samuel M. Jones, Sheriff,
W. H. Battley, Register of Deeds, the County Commissioners, the
Superintendent of County Schools, and  W. H. McNeill, Esq., Mayor of Carthage.
The Court house is a great center for the gathering of the hoi polloi.
Here they meet, especially on court weeks, to exchange courtesies and gather county news.

flourish15.gif (978 bytes)

Post-Offices of Moore County in 1898
(Names, Locations, Postmasters, Estimated Population)

Aberdeen, 75 ms s w Raleigh, H H Powell, pop 1,000
Antler, 8 ms s Carthage, J W McCaskill, pop 25
Bensalem, SP Seawell, pop 40
Big Oak, 15 ms s w Carthage, pop 50
Blink, 12 ms s w Carthage,J S Sheffield, pop 60
Broadway, 24 ms e Carthage, M M Watson
Caledonia, 15 ms w Carthage, D M Cannady, pop 50
Cameron, 10 ms s Carthage, Mrs. Flora McFayden, pop 350
Carbonton, 5 ms n Gulf, J A Jones, pop. 150
Carter's Mill, 14 w Carthage, W G Carter, pop 50
Carthage (C H), Mrs. Julia A Ritter, pop 1,500
Chiloe, 7 ms s Carthage, Thad McLean, pop 20
Clarks Mills, 20 ms s e Carthage, pop 50
Coffer, 8 ms e Carthage, John Coffer, pop 30
Curriesville, 10 ms w Carthage, D A B Currie, pop 100
Craigrownie, 13 ms w Aberdeen, pop 100
Eagle Springs, 14 ms w Carthage, John F Reynolds, pop 250
Endon (Cumberland Co.), 16 ms s Carthage, W D Cameron
Euphronia, 12 ms n e Carthage, pop 50
Fair Haven, 12 ms n Carthage, Dabney Phillips, pop 75
Flynn, 12 ms w Carthage, H H Martin, pop 40
Forkade, 25 ms e Carthage, pop 25
Fall Creek (Chatham Co)
Gilbert, 12 ms ne Carthage, Jesse D Spivey, pop 40
Glendon, 12 n e Carthage, A J Jones, pop 150
Greenwood, 9 ms e Carthage, J M Cole pop 50
Grotto, 7 ms e Carthage, J C Thomas, pop 50
Gulf (Chatham Co)
Horners, 8 ms n w Carthage, W Y Horners, pop 50
Hallison, 9 ms n w Carthage,pop 25
High Falls, 19 ms nw Carthage, Thos N Woody, pop 250
Jackson Springs, 4 ms s Westebd Depot A & A R R , pop 50
Jessup, 12 ms n e Carthage, pop 25
Johnson, 9 ms ne Carthage, pop 50
Jonesboro, 18 ms s e Carthage, S H Buchanan, pop 1,500
Kyser, 22 ms s Carthage, Miss Mattie Register, pop 250
Lawhon, 7 ms w Carthage, Mrs. Nora Lawhon, pop 150
Lemon Springs, 7 ms s Sanford, G W Smith, pop 100
Lonely, pop 25
Longleaf, 20 ms s Carthage, T H Davis, pop 60
Manly, 12 ms s Carthage, W H Allen, pop 100
Mooshaunee, 7 ms n Carthage, J T Seawell, pop 100
Mount Carmel, 8 ms n w Carthage, L R McIntosh, pop 125
Montrose (Cumberland Co), 15 ms s Carthage, D P Campbell
Noise, 19 ms w Carthage, Mr Maness, pop 150
Old Stores, 18 ms w Carthage, John C Currie, pop 25
Ollie, pop10
Parkwood, 7 ms n Carthage, J E Taylor, pop 25
Pattersons Bridge, 20 ms s w Carthage, J E Patterson, pop 75
Pine Bluff, 18 ms s w Carthage, Levi Pockard, pop 150
Pinehurst, 6 ms w Southern Pines, C D Benbow, pop 300
Pocket, 12 ms n Carthage, Newton Poe, pop 25
Prosperity, 12 ms n Carthage(N bank of Deep River),L Fineson, pop 200
Quiet, 8 ms e Carthage, E T Edwards, pop 25
Roseland, 5 ms s w Aberdeen, C J Brown, pop 75
Rubican, 6 ms s w Carthage, R A Cole, pop 75
Sanford, 18 ms e Carthage, I H Lutterloh, pop 1,500
Southern Pines, 14 ms e Carthage, A M Clark, pop 1,000
Spencer, 20 ms n w Carthage, pop 50
Swann Station, 6 ms n w Carthage, pop 50
Swinton, 16 ms n w Carthage, pop 50
Steeds, on A & A R R, pop 100
Tempting, 5 ms w Sanford, C D Gross, pop 30
Thagardville, 7 ms s Carthage, J L Thagard, pop 45
Tyra, 20 ms n w Carthage, pop 50
Vass, 11 ms s Carthage, A Cameron, pop 100
Victor, 5 ms s e Carthage, pop 200
Villanow,9 ms ne Carthage, Dr V N Seawell pop, 50
Westend, 13 ms s w Carthage, pop 200
flourish15.gif (978 bytes)

Moore County Schools as of 1898
(Names, Post offices, Principals)

Aberdeen High School, Misses Ida and Fannie Carr
Carbonton Academy, Frank Edwards
Colored Parochial School, Southern Pines, Miss Wheeler
Dayton Academy(col), Carthage, Rev H D Wood
Hamilton Seminary(col), Carthage, Rev G H Miles
James Mark Academy, Lemon Springs, Rev C V Brooks
Thompson High School and Business College,
Sanford, J A W Thmpson
Union Home School, Victor, Prof John E Kelly(w/ 4 assist)
Village School, Pinehurst, Miss May Taylor
flourish15.gif (978 bytes)

Churches in Moore County as of 1898
(Names, Post-offices, Pastors, Denominations)

St.Augustine, Carthage, R M Thompson, A M E Z
Reive's Chapel, Glendon, G W Gaines, A M E Z
Mt. Olive, near Carthage, R M Thmpson, A M E Z 
Church, Sanford, A M E Z
Church, Southern Pines, Mathias Howe, Catholic
Turner's Chapel, Jonesboro(5 mi east), A T Barbee, Christian
Shallowell, Jonesboro(1 mi east), G R Underwood, Christian
Poplar Branch, Jonesboro, (3 mi SW), Christian
Moore Union, Lonely, A P Barbee, Chriatian
Grace Chapel, Jonesboro(5 mi W), A P Barbee
First Church, Southern Pines, G R Ransom, Congregational
Friendship, Parkwood, W H H Lawhon, Miss Bap
First Baptist, Southern Pines, Rev Cree, Miss Bap
Ewing Chapell (col), Carthage, W H Diggs, Miss Bap
Church (col), Cameron, W H Diggs, Miss Bap
Bethlehem, Carthage (5 mi NW), Rev Cree, Miss Bap
Bethlehem, Lawhon, A C Cree, Miss Bap
Poplar Springs, Sanford, D L Earnhardt, M E C S
Mt Olive, Carthage (3 mi NW), Meth Epis
Morris Chapel, Swann Station, D L Earnhardt, M E C S
Midway, Lemon Springs, D L Earnhardt. M E C S
Church, Jonesboro, D L Earnhardt, M E C S
Church, Sanford, D L Earnhardt, M E C S
Church, Carbonton, W W Holder, M E C S
Bensalem, Caledonia, R M McIntyre, Presb
Bethesda, Aberdeen, Charles H Dobbs,Jr, Presb
Buffaloe(over 100 years old), Sanford, M D McNeill, Presb
Church, Carthage, Charles H Dobbs, Jr, Presb
Church, Cameron, McD McNeill, Presb
Church, Bensalem, R M McIntyre, Presb
Church, Jackson Springs, C W Coppage, Presb
Church, Pocket, Presb
Church, Sanford, _______ Graves, Presb
Church, Sanford, M B McNeill, Presb
Church, Sanford, M D McNeill, Pesb
Church, Jonesboro, K A McLeod, Presb
Culdee Church, Charles H Dobbs, Jr, Presb
John's Hall Chapel(col), Carthage, H G Wood Presb
Salem, Broadway, R A McLeod, Presb
St. Andrews, Lemon Springs, R A McLeod, Presb
Union, Victor, M N McIver, stated supply, Presb
Union, Victor, M D McIver, Presb
White Hill, Villanow, M D McNeill, Presb
Emanuel, Southern Pines, Rev Gregory, Prot Epis
Church, Sanford, Prot Epis
flourish15.gif (978 bytes)

North Carolina has had three Constitutions in her history as a State: the Constitution of 1776, the Constitution of 1868,
and the Constitution of 1971.

Drafted and promulgated by the Fifth Provincial Congress in December, 1776, without submission to the people, the
Constitution of 1776 and its separate but accompanying Declaration of Rights sketched the main outlines of the new
state government and secured the rights of the citizen from governmental interference. While the principle of separation
of powers was explicitly affirmed and the familiar three branches of government were provided for, the true center of
power lay in the General Assembly. That body not only exercised full legislative power; it also chose all the state
executive and judicial officers, the former for short terms and the judges for life.

Profound distrust of the executive power is evident throughout the document. The Governor was chosen by the
legislature for a one-year term and was eligible for only three terms in six years. The little power granted him was hedged
about in many instances by requiring for its exercise the concurrence of a seven-member Council of State chosen by the
legislature. Judicial offices were established, but the court system itself was left to legislative design. No system of local
government was prescribed by the Constitution, although the offices of justice of the peace, sheriff, coroner, and
constable were created.

The system of legislative representation was based on units of local government. The voters of each county elected one
Senator and two members of the House of Commons, while six (later seven) towns each elected one member of the
House. It was distinctly a property owner's government, for only landowners could vote for Senators until 1857, and
progressive property qualifications were required of members of the House, Senators, and the Governor until 1868.
Legislators were the only state officers who were elected by the people until 1836.



moretreesbar.gif (3129 bytes)