Montgomery County NCGenWeb

Local History


 

Montgomery County was formed in 1779 from Anson County.  It is located in the south central part of the state, bounded by Moore, Richmond, Stanly, Davidson & Randolph Counties.

Montgomery County was named for General Richard Montgomery (1736-1775), a Revolutionary War soldier who was killed in the Battle of Quebec.

The area of the county is 499 square miles.

The Uwharrie National Forest covers a large part of the county, with the Yadkin River forming its western boundary.
Badin Lake straddles the boundary of Montgomery and Stanly County, as does Lake Tillery.  Both are on the waters of the Yadkin River.

The Town Creek Indian Mound in the southwestern part of the county is a state historical site.
 


this page is part of:

Montgomery County NCGenWeb

NCGenWeb 2009