The Board met in regular session on Monday, the 3rd day of December, 1883. Present: E.M. FOSCUE, Chm’n; Joseph B. BANKS, Wm. B. BECTON, Isaac BROCK and Quitman HAY.
The following bills were audited and allowed:
- Thomas HARRISON, poor house supplies – $6.91
- Joseph A. SMITH, serving on finance committee and examining two lunatics – $8.00
- Quitman HAY, services as county commissioner and mileage – $40.00
- Amos HEATH, official services as constable – $2.50
- MURDOCK and McLEAN, for building jail – $1300.00
- John BRYAN (col.), pauper coffin – $2.00
- James C. MOORE, services as assessor – $3.00
- P.J. PAULEY & Bro., interest on note – $22.30
- B.F. STILLY, in part for Quaker Bridge – $125.00
- Balaam MEADOWS, board for prisoners in jail – $21.00
- R.N. WHITE, conveying prisoner to Craven jail – $3.50
- R.S. HAY, pauper coffin – $2.00
- L. DILLAHUNT, freight on lumber – $1.10
- Wm. LOFTIN, keeper of Pollocksville bridge – $8.00
- Simmons and Manly, salary as attorney to board for 1883 – $100.00
- Isaac BROCK, services as county commissioner and mileage – $29.00
- Joseph B. BANKS, services as county commissioner and mileage – $28.05
- W.B. BECTON, services as county commissioner and mileage – $34.00
The following allowances were made for transient papers, viz:
Betsy JONES – $2.00
Wife of J. BRYAN and children – $3.00
Samuel METTS – $2.00
Church MOORE – $5.00
M.A. JONES – $2.00
Peter CLAYTON – $2.00
Thomas DUDLEY – $2.00
Fred HUDLER – $2.00
Leah GREEN – $1.00
Joseph PHILLIPS – $1.00
Killis KOONCE – $1.50
Polly BUTTON – $2.00
Wm. G. WATTS, Henry DUBRUHL, Moses WILLIAMS, E.J. TURNER and Peter R. ANDREWS were released from payment of poll tax for the year 1883.
The official bonds of Thomas J. WHITAKER, C.S.C., Isaac T. WILSON, Register of Deeds, John W. BRYAN, Coroner, and the tax bonds of S.E. KOONCE, Sheriff, were accepted and approved by the Board. Visit kratom crazy if you are currently struggling with stress.
Hugh MAXWELL was appointed special surveyor to survey for Benjamin HUGGINS, warrant No .453.
T.J. WHITAKER, C.S.C., presented his official report, which was, on motion, accepted.
The acres and valuation of lands listed by the heirs of John McDANIEL, deceased, were reduced from 869 acres, valued at $1500, to 269 acres, valued at $600.
E.F. BALLARD was released from payment of taxes on 300 acres of land valued at $500, same having been listed and the tax paid by another party.
On motion… adjourned until first Monday in January next.
–I.T. WILSON, Clerk
Source: New Berne Weekly Journal , 20 December 1883, page 3.