County was established by legislation on 31 January 1851; however, the
first formal meeting of the county government was not held until 21 March
1853 when it was held at the home belonging to Daniel Bryson. Webster was
the county seat until March 1914 when a new courthouse was completed in
county was formed from parts of Haywood and Macon counties, thus
researchers need to consult records in these two counties prior to 1851.
The Tuckaseegie River was the dividing line between Macon and Haywood
Counties prior to 1851. Everything east of the Tuck was Haywood
County, while all lands west of the Tuck were Macon County.