Return to Hyde County
O'Neal - 1853
NC Archives, Original estates records 1745-1904; CR.053.508.54
Feb. Term 1853 - Petition of Thomas P. Oneale, Oliver Oneale, Jethro A. Midyett, and of David, John A. & Bethany Midyett, minors, by their next friend & father, Ezekiel Midyett, Benj. E. Oneale, Rinaldo Oneale, Nathan Etherage & wife Luraner, Louisa Oneale, minor by her guardian Oliver Oneale, all of Hyde County, respectfully show unto the Court that Nathan Oneale, dec'd., was possessed at the time of his death, a life estate as tenant by the courtesy in right of his wife Bethany Oneale, who inherited from her father, Thomas Paine, two certain tracts of land; the one lying & being on Long Shoal in Hyde County containing 93 acres; the other lying & being in Chickimacomico in Hyde County containing 41 acres, the latter now being in possession of Thomas P. O'Neal. That said deceased departed this life intestate leaving as the children of his wife Bethany the petitioners Thomas P. Oneale, Oliver Oneale & Jethro A. Midyett, Jno. A, Midyett, David & Bethany Midyett, children of Mary Oneale & her husband Ezekiel Midyett, and the children of Christopher Oneale, dec'd., to wit: Benj. W. Oneale, Rinaldo Oneale, Lurana Etherage & Louisa Oneale, him surviving, and upon his death the said lands descended to the said petitioners as tenants in common in the proportion of 1/4 to Thomas P. Oneale, 1/4 to Oliver Oneale, 1/4 to the children of Mary Midyett, wife of Ezekiel Midyett, and 1/4 to the children of Christopher Oneale, dec'd. Petitioners further show that they are desirous of having a fair and just partition of the said lands in order that they have their respective shares. They ask the court to appoint 5 commissioners to divide and appropriate said lands. /s/ Thos. Sparrow, Solicitor
William Weatherington, William H. Meekins, James Meekins, Cyrus Hooper and Ira Midyett were appointed by the court to divide and appropriate said lands and make report to next term of court. /s/ Will. W. Spencer, Clerk
May 16, 1853 - The tract of land on Chicamacomico Banks containing 58 acres beginning at Richard Midyett's line near the Sound side and runs north to Ebenezer Paine's line then south to the seaside then north by a line of marked trees to the beginning.
Lot #1 consisting of 14 1/2 acres went of the children of Ezekiel Midyett and was valued at $58.00.
Lot #2 consisting of 14 1/2 acres went to Oliver ONeal and was valued at $49.50.
Lot #3 consisting of 14 1/2 acres went to the children of Christopher ONeal and was valued at $250.25.
Lot #4 consisting of 14 1/2 acres went to Thomas P. ONeal and was valued at $88.87.
Whole evaluation $446.62 and equal dividend of $88.87 Lot #3 pays to #1 $53.65. Lot #3 pays #2 $65.15. Lot #3 pays to #4 $22.78.
/s/ Wm. Weatherington, William H. Meekins, James Meekins, Cyrus Hooper, Ira Midyett
Persons mentioned in this estate--
1) Nathan O'Neal (1776-1852) - married Bethany Paine
2) Bethany Paine (between 1774-1780-before 1850) - daughter of Thomas Paine and Mary Midyett
3) Thomas P. O'Neal (1807-1854) - son of Nathan O'Neal, dec'd., & Bethany Paine; married Nancy O. Paine/Payne
4) Oliver O'Neal (c1803-1873) - son of Nathan O'Neal, dec'd., & Bethany Paine; married 1st Mary Little Farrow O'Neal and 2nd Susan L. Paine
5) Jethro Midyett (1831-1866) - son of Ezekiel Midyett & Mary Louisa O'Neal and grandson of Nathan O'Neal, dec'd.; married Clarissa Paine/Payne
6) David Midyett (1833-1879) - son of Ezekiel Midyett & Mary Louisa O'Neal and grandson of Nathan O'Neal, dec'd.; married Colinda Ann Sabrina Paine
7) John A. Midyett (1836-1913) - son of Ezekiel Midyett & Mary Louisa O'Neal and grandson of Nathan O'Neal, dec'd.; married Louisa A. O'Neal
8) Bethany Midyett (c1839-1879) - daughter of Ezekiel Midyett & Mary Louisa O'Neal and granddaughter of Nathan O'Neal, dec'd.; married Wallace D. Gray
9) Ezekiel Midyett (c1801-1869) - married 1st Mary Louisa O'Neal; 2nd Elizabeth Ann Meekins
10) Benjamin W. O'Neal (1822-after 1880) - son of Christopher O'Neal and Elvira Midyett and grandson of Nathan O'Neal, dec'd.; married Celia M. ____.
11) Rinaldo O'Neal (1820-1861) - son of Christopher O'Neal and Elvira Midyett and grandson of Nathan O'Neal, dec'd.; married Elizabeth J. "Anneliza" Midyett.
12) Lurana O'Neal (1828-1882) - daughter of Christopher O'Neal and Elvira Midyett and granddaughter of Nathan O'Neal, dec'd.; married Nathan Etheridge
13) Louisa O'Neal (1834-1882) daughter of Christopher O'Neal and Elvira Midyett and granddaughter of Nathan O'Neal, dec'd.; married John A. Midyett (#5)
This estate was contributed by Kay Midgett Sheppard. No part of this document may be used for any commercial purposes. However, please feel free to copy any of this material for your own personal use and family research. If you find anything in these records that pertains to your families, it is strongly suggested that you look at the original record on your own to check for errors or possibly other additional and helpful information. Thank you!
© 2010 Kay Midgett Sheppard