Return to Hyde Co. Main Page
Ivy Bryan and Henrietta (Midyett) Nobles
Ivy Byran NOBLES was born in Beaufort County, N.C. in October 1838 to Noah Isaac Nobles and Repsana Dillon/DeLone. He had brothers named William Henry Nobles and Baker Nobles and a sister named Anne Nobles. On November 24, 1845 Ivy, who was then 8 years old, was apprenticed to Samuel T. Douglas to be taught the trade of farming. The 1850 Hyde County census, Mattamuskeet District, bears this out as Ivy B. Nobles, age 11, is living in the household of Samuel T. [Thomas] Douglas, mariner, and his wife Celia M. [Midyett] Douglas.
Not much is known about Ivy from 1850 until 1863 but it is assumed that he must have taken up the trade of seaman with Samuel Douglas, as a Boston, Massachusetts marriage certificate indicates he married Catherine Secille Fitzgerald in that city on October 12, 1863. Ivy and Catherine had one child, Mary Jane "Mame" Nobles who was born in Boston on June 9, 1866. Mary Jane married 3 times--first to Edward Edmund Pugh about 1882; second to Henry Melling Warburton, a naturalized Englishman; and third to Joshua Hollowell. Between husbands she lived with the Warren Payne family in Gull Rock, N.C. Mary Jane died March 13, 1953 in Gull Rock and is buried in the Thomas Paine Pugh Cemetery in Gull Rock.
On December 19, 1872 Ivy Bryan Nobles married Henrietta Midyett. They are listed in the 1880 Hyde County census in Lake Landing Township along with his daughter, Mary Jane, from his first marriage. Henrietta was born to Daniel Midyett and Bethany Paine on June 22, 1850 in Hyde Co., N.C. and died January 31, 1898 in Norfolk, Virginia. Ivy B. Nobles and Henrietta Midyett Nobles had the following children:
1. Lee Nobles - born 1874; died 1877
2. Sallie E. Irby Nobles - born 1876; died 1908; married Henry Melling Warburton (later the husband of her 1/2 sister, Mary Jane Nobles) and had one child, Estelle Warburton
3. Lillian Estelle Nobles - born 1877; died 1970. Married Alexander Reid, a Scotsman
4. Abiatha May "Abby" Nobles - born May 19, 1879 Mt. Pleasant, NC; died Nov. 15, 1942 Norfolk, Va.; Married 1st to Edward Slater Jones from Nansemond Co., Va.; 2nd to John J. Snyder
5. Mattie Bryan Nobles - born 1882; died 1958
6. William Nobles - born 1884; died 1950
7. Carrie Nobles - born 1886; died 1903
8. Ina Nobles - born 1889; died 1948
After Henrietta's death in 1898 the family moved to Newport News, Virginia to live with Lillian & Alexander Reid. Lillian raised her youngest sister, Ina, and Abiatha May Nobles Jones raised her niece, Estelle Warburton, after the death of her mother in 1908.
(Information and photograph given to Kay Midgett Sheppard by Abiatha Ellen "Bobbie" (Dozier) Willis before her death in Norfolk in 1996.)
McGowan / Sheppard