Return to Hyde Co. Main Page
John Methious & Nancy Gaskins Midyette
(Photo taken circa late 1920's in Roanoke Rapids, NC)
John Methious Midyette, son of Zachariah Robert Russell Midyette and Clarissa Elizabeth "Clara" Jarvis, was born in Swan Quarter in May 1858 according to the 1900 Hyde Co. census (all other census records indicate 1860). He died in Roanoke Rapids, Halifax Co., N.C. on January 11, 1938. On July 26, 1882 in Swan Quarter he married Nancy Catherine Gaskins. Nancy Catherine was born in Ocracoke on January 28, 1857 to Benjamin W. Gaskins and Eliza Howard and died in Roanoke Rapids, N.C. on January 17, 1934. John Methious and Nancy Catherine Gaskins Midyette are buried in the Roanoke Rapids Cemetery. They had the following 6 children, some of whom spelled their last name with a "g":
- Clara Elizabeth "Lydie" Midgette born August 2, 1883 in Hyde Co. and died December 7, 1961 in Roanoke Rapids, N.C. She married Albert Claude Jarvis (1882-1968) in Swan Quarter on July 27, 1913.
- Benjamin Russell "Bennie" Midyette born, according to his Social Security application, October 26, 1885 in Hyde Co. and died November 17, 1967 in Norwich, New London Co., Connecticut. Bennie married Dollie Ella Ball (1898-1980) in Swan Quarter on Christmas Day 1921.
- George Thomas Midyette was born March 25, 1888 in Hyde Co. and died July 4, 1968. On February 12, 1921 he married Alma Pearl Harris (1903-1994) in Swan Quarter. George Thomas and Alma Pearl are buried in Soule Cemetery in Hyde County.
- Lucy Ellen Midgette was born February 22, 1891 in Hyde Co. and died in June 1978 in Tarboro, Edgecombe Co., N.C. On May 26, 1919 in Halifax Co., N.C. she married Laurin David Jarvis, Sr. (1878-1928). Laurin and Lucy are both buried in Soule Cemetery in Hyde County.
- Hilkiah Harrison "Hill" Midgette was born August 3, 1894 and died in Roanoke Rapids, N.C. on August 24, 1957. On March 27, 1915 he married Ruth Lola Jarvis (1897-1974) in Swan Quarter. Hill and Ruth are both buried in Roanoke Rapids.
- Eva Helen Midgette was born February 17, 1897 and died in November 1991. She married Eulas Martin.
(Photo and information kindly submitted by Marilyn Wesner, great-great-granddaughter of John Methoius & Nancy Gaskins Midyette.)
McGowan / Sheppard