Return to Hyde Co. Main Page

Samuel Spencer Mann
(April 3, 1867 - September 10, 1940)

Samuel Spencer Mann was born April 3, 1867 in Lake Landing Township, son of Joseph Spencer Mann and Sophia Lumsden Swindell. His father gave him the choice of some land or a college education, and he chose the latter. He graduated from Trinity College and earned his law degree from the University of North Carolina in 1890. He taught school for several years, was Clerk of Court for Hyde County, secretary of Rivers and Harbors Commission, and North Carolina State Senator in 1902.

On June 17, 1891 he married Magnolia May "Nolia" Watson (Aug. 31, 1868-Jan. 3, 1956), daughter of Joseph Masters Watson and Elisha Ann Burrus, and they made their home in Swan Quarter where he had his law office. Their children were:

All the girls attended the University of North Carolina in Greensboro except Sophia who graduated from East Carolina. Joseph Spencer followed the sea and was a Merchant Marine Captain during World War II.

Samuel Mann worked to bring a railroad to Hyde County and to drain Mattamuskeet Lake to further the interest of the Rivers and Harbor Commission of which he was secretary. While a senator in Raleigh, he became good friends with Josephus Daniels (long-time editor of the Raleigh News and Observer). He was assistant to Congressman John Small in Washington, D.C. After Mr. Small retired, Samuel Spencer Mann became a candidate for Congress from his district. His opponent, who won the election, was Lindsay Warren.

Samuel Spencer Mann and his wife, Nolia, are buried in the Credle-Mann-Watson Cemetery on the Milton Credle farm in Swan Quarter. He was always interested in farming, liked gardening and was a lover of nature.



Front row (l-r) Hildah (Mann) Jones, Louise (Mann) McCarroll, Samuel Spencer Mann, Joseph Spencer Mann, Margaret (Mann) Swindell, Grace (Mann) Ames

Back row (l-r) Olive (Mann) Sweeney, Sophia (Mann) Credle, Magnolia (Watson) Mann, Mildred (Mann) Hartman, and Dr. L.H. "Plum" Swindell.



(Photos and information from Hyde County History published by the Hyde County Historical Society in 1976.)

Copyright 1999
McGowan / Sheppard