Return to Hyde Co. Main Page
Some Descendants of
Benjamin Mackey & Mary Jane Barber
(The Mackey surname is also spelled at times as Macky, Mackie, Mackay, & MaGee)
According to the Fairfield Township of the 1860, 1870, 1880 and 1900 Hyde County census and the personal records and photographs of Lason Mackey-Hines, the following information has been obtained on Benjamin Mackey and his wife, Mary Jane Barber, and some of their descendants.
Benjamin Mackey was born in November 1822. He was listed as a free black in 1860, mulatto in 1870 & 1880 and black in 1900. He married Mary Jane Barber around 1850 according to the 1900 census. She was born in March 1832 to Bartee Barber and his wife Marena. Mary Jane was listed as mulatto in 1850, a free black in 1860, black in 1870, mulatto in 1880 and black in 1900. Benjamin Mackey served as a private in Company "F" of the 33rd Regiment in the Confederate Army and on September 12, 1861, he was issued his uniform pants and shirt at a cost of $2.25 in a bill sent to the Hyde County War Fund by Captain Thomas Mayhew.
Benjamin Mackey and Mary Jane Barber had the following children:
- James Mackey was born circa 1853 according to the 1860 Hyde Co. census.
- Clarissa "Classie" Mackey was born circa 1855 according to the 1860 Hyde Co. census.
- John Mackey was born circa 1857 according to the 1860 Hyde Co. census.
- Sally Mackey was born circa 1858 according to the 1860 Hyde Co. census.
- Jane Mackey was born circa 1859 according to the 1860 Hyde Co. census.
- Mahala was born circa 1860 according to the 1870 Hyde Co. census.
- Levina/Louvenia Mackey - According to the 1870 census she was listed as age 16, however, she was not listed in 1860 census so I believe this to be in error. She was more than likely born around 1862
- Eugene Mackey was born July 1863 according to the 1900 Hyde Co. census.
- Josephine Mackey was born 1864 and died Jan. 18, 1936. (click here to see photo and history of Josephine)
- Banister Mackey was born circa 1865 according to the 1880 Hyde Co. census.
- Benjamin Luther Mackey was born May 18, 1867 in Hyde County. He was married
- 1st to Clarissa Burrus on Oct. 24, 1886. Clarissa was born in June 1870 to a woman named Polly.
- 2nd to Mattie Sawyer, daughter of Ned Sawyer, on January 29,1908 in Pasquotank Co., NC
- 3rd to Fannie (Price) Brothers on February 23, 1917.
Benjamin Luther Mackey died in Elizabeth City, NC on January 31, 1935 and is buried there in Oak Grove Cemetery.
(Possibly Fannie (Price) Brothers Mackey, 3rd wife of Benjamin Luther Mackey)
Benjamin Luther Mackey and his 1st wife, Clarissa Burrus, had the following children:
- Florine/Flora G. Mackey was born circa 1889.
- Mary J. Mackey was born circa 1891. She moved to Pittsburgh, Pa. and married a Brimmage.
- Leonis Mackey was born circa 1894.
- Waynus was born circa 1895.
- Clarissa/Claricy Mackey was born circa 1897.
- Melton Mackey was born circa 1898.
- Blanche Mackey was born April 17, 1899. She moved to Pittsburgh, Pa. and was married 1st to Mose Hensley. Blanche married for the second time to Prince Bland on December 24, 1961 but there were no children from this union. She died July 1, 1989.
- Vanus "Shorty" Mackey was born circa 1903.
(Left & center photo: Vanus Mackey; Right photo(l-r): , unidentified lady, Vanus Mackey, Blanche Mackey)
(Josephine Mackey on the left; girl on the right is an unidentified Mackey but probably is a sister to Josephine)
Some Unidentified Photographs pertaining to the Mackey family
(Information and photographs kindly supplied by Lason Mackey-Hines whose grandfather left her the above photographs before his passing. If anyone has more information or photos to share with us on any of the above persons please let me know so I can update this page.)
McGowan / Sheppard