Return to Hyde Co. Main Page
Annie Bertha (Harris)
(October 27, 1878 - after 1935)
Annie Bertha Harris was born in Swan Quarter, NC to Thomas Wilson Harris, Sr. and his wife, Eleanor Clayton. She was first married to Daniel Tarelton Watts in Swan Quarter on September 29, 1897 and they had the following children:
- Thomas E. Watts was born July 10, 1898 in Swan Quarter and died November 2, 1900.
- Nellie Lavinia "Nell" (aka Helen) Watts was born Jan. 23, 1901 in Swan Quarter and died February 19, 1973 in New Orelans, Louisiana. She was first married on July 20, 1917 in St. Francis Xavier, Brunswick Co., Georgia to Robert Francis McNall who died in 1920. Nellie then married Benjamin Franklin Brown in Jacksonville, Duval Co., Florida on August 22, 1934. Benjamin Brown died in 1957 and Nellie married for the third time (before 1960 and possibly in New Orleans) to Gus Finkelstein. When Nellie died in 1973 she was cremated in Metairie, Louisiana and her ashes were returned to Palmetto Cemetery in Brunswick, Georgia.
Upper left: Nellie Lavinia Watts; other 3 are unknown
- Emma E. "Lena" Watts born May 12, 1904 in Swan Quarter. She married Buford Rumph.
- Timothy Berry "Tim" Watts was born December 24, 1905 in Swan Quarter. He married Susan Platt. Timothy possibly died in Live Oak, Florida as that was his last known address.
- Joseph H. "Joe" Watts was born December 5, 1906 in Swan Quarter and died in Australia. He married Mary _____.
Left to right: Joseph H. Watts & Timothy Berry Watts
After the death of her first husband, Daniel T. Watts in circa 1907, Annie Bertha Harris was married for the second time to William R. Campen/Harrison. [Note: William attended Harvard under the surname of Harrison which was his birth name. He was adopted by a Campen family from Pamlico Co. but when he was old enough he had his name legally changed back to Harrison.] Annie Bertha and William had the following children:
- Sudie Belle Campen/Harrison was born October 11, 1914.
- Thomas Rossman Campen/Harrison was born October 11, 1914 and died in Jacksonville, Florida. He married Lucy _____.
- Woodrow Wilson Campen/Harrison was born August 4, 1916.
(Photos and information kindly submitted by Dan Griggs.)
McGowan / Sheppard