Return to Hyde Co. Main Page
David Miller Carter
(Jan. 12, 1830 - Jan. 7, 1877? or 1879?)
David Miller Carter was a native of Hyde county, though much of his early life was spent in Raleigh. He was prepared for college by Mr. Lovejoy and graduated at the University in 1851. He studied law and settled in the town of Washington, and formed a partnership with Hon, E.J. Warren. He pursued the profession with great success. He was a Whig in politics, and strongly opposed to the doctrine of secession. But when the Federal Government announced the intention to coerce the States, he raised a company to serve during the war, which formed a part of the 4th North Carolina regiment. At the battle of Seven Pine, he was severely wounded so that he was never again able to serve in the field. He was assigned to duty as one of the three Judges of the Military Court of Longstreet's Corps, with the rank of Colonel, in which capacity he continues until he was elected (1864) by the people of Beaufort County to represent them in the House of Commons. After the war was over he returned to the care of his large farming interests and the practice of his profession in Washington where he remained until his removal to Raleigh. Colonel Carter was a public spirited man. He devoted much of his time and energy to the cause of education, and especially to the University of which he was a steady friend and a liberal benefactor, and to the management of the Penitentiary, of which he was one of the Directors. His health gradually failing, he repaired to Baltimore for medical aid--but in vain. He died at Baltimore on January 7, 1877. He married twice, first a daughter of D.P. Perry, and second, a Mrs. Benbury, one of the most amiable ladies of the State.
[NOTE: The Economist (Elizabeth City) - Tuesday, Jan. 14, 1879 -- Col. David Miller Carter died in Baltimore on the 7th inst. He was a native of Hyde County and was about 50 at the time of his death.
(Source: Reminiscences and Memoirs of North Carolina and Eminent North Carolinians by John H. Wheeler; 1884)
McGowan / Sheppard