Division of Negro
Wm. Marshall, dec'd.
(Researched and contributed by Mona Marshall Prado)
Division of Negro Slaves under order of Court belonging to the estate of William MARSHALL Nov Term of Court 1810.
David GIBBS and Henry GIBBS 3rd and David CARTER cousins. (David GIBBS was the father of Seth GIBBS. The grandfather of ____? & Seth __ and Henry GIBBS 3rd was the grand father of J.S. MANN.
- Bill of Sale for Negro woman & child John Webster to his son-in-law, Samuel Spencer, consideration love and good will. Date: Jan 27, 1808 [bad condition]
- Division of Negro slaves belonging to the estate of Ina Hollaway, dec'd, 31 slaves. Done by court order. Sept 4th 1837. Warranty given for a negro slave that had been "swooper" or exchanged for another slave Jan. 11, 1821.
- Bill of sale for negro to make assets for settling and estate-public sale to highest bidder and rec'd one hundred and seventy too pounds current money--sale by Benj Saunderson 28 Aug 1802.
- Bill of sale for Negro man with warranty 29th Jan 1801.
- Bill of sale with warranty for negro girl ("?") Mame "Genny" Oct. 10, 1797.
- Bill of sale with _______ warranty for a "certain negro wench named Nanny with a male negro child named Charles" March 5, 1787.
- Bill of sale for negro man 33 yrs. old named George with warranty Feb 19, 1807.
- Deed of Gift of Negro woman and her child in consideration of good will & love for son-in-law for _____ _____" June 27, 1808 John Webster.
- Bill of sale for negro man named Frank Sr. 1833 (unsigned).
- Bill of sale for negro Mch. 15, 1808.
- Bill of sale for negro woman & her increase Feb 12, 1828.
- Bill of sale for negro boy 1810.
Facts about John Marshall, Nancy Northan & Thomas John Marshall
Thomas John MARSHALL attended Normal College in Randolph County which became Trinity College in 1859 and is what today is known as Duke University.
Braxton CRAVEN was president of Normal College which was a teacher training institute with a three year degree. In 1858 in the MARSHALL guardian papers, a bill from Braxton CRAVEN is found for tuition--$8.00, Food--$1.50, Board--$20.00 and Room & Washing--$5.00. Braxton CRAVEN died in 1882 and records for Normal College can be found at Duke University Archives in Durham, NC.
Thomas John MARSHALL named a son after Braxton CRAVEN. I am not sure if Thomas John boarded with Mr. CRAVEN or elsewhere at the school.
John MARSHALL died sometime in 1836 per his estate papers. His wife Nancy remarried Hilliard GIBBS and she apparently died about 1840 after her son Felton GIBBS was born.
Robert M. BURRUS was guardian to Thomas John apparently after the death of Nancy's parents. John NORTHAN appears to have been his guardian from May 12, 1839 to 1842 and Mary NORTHAN received payment for six months board 23 Feb 1843. John NORTHAN died in 1840 and Mary NORTHAN, his wife, died in 1846.
Robert M. Burrus is guardian in 1842, 1846, 1849, Dec. 1848, 1850-1855 and 1857 with a guardian bond signed May 31, 1841. A petition was filed in Feb. court 1857 for a settlement of the estate due to Thomas John MARSHALL's age of 21 but was refused by Robert M. Burrus. A court docket notes that 98.50 was paid Feb 21, 1857 to Thomas John MARSHALL as an apparent settlement.
Thomas John MARSHALL married Sarah Ann TODD and Nancy L. was born in 1858.
Names listed in guardian papers include:
- R.M. BURRUS - guardian
- Robert BURRUS-same
- Cason G. SPENCER - and co-signed S.H. Ritch 1849 for tuition
- R.J. BONNER - 1849 for store acct 1849
- N. BECKWITH - 1849 paid in full for all demand against Thomas J.
- B.F. BONNER - 1849
- S. SINGLETON - Dec. 1848 and Jan. 1849 for medicine and visit
- Jesse Benj. GIBBS - tuition 1850 $3.37
- M. McGUIRE - Feb. 28, 1852 tuition
- Israel BROOKS, late sheriff - 1848 pd. in full for Thomas J. transfer
- M.M. MURRAY Nov. 30, 1854 travel expense to Normal College $17.90
- Jesse Benj. GIBBS - July 1849 tuition
- Benj. G WATSON - tuition Feb. 1852
- Stephen WILLIAMSON - Jan. 1851(7). [I suspect that Nancy W. NORTHAN's mother, Mary, may have been a WILLIAMSON.]
- Arnold GRAY - 1842
- A. SHANKLIN - June 1850 for visit
- S.H. RITCH for tuition Dec. 1849
- J.V. BLACKWELL - May 1842 until Dec. 1846 for Clothes
- Wm. B. BALLANCE - guardian for Jesse B. GIBBS May 1849
- J.V. BLACKWELL - 1848 to Jan. 1851
- J.V. BLACKWELL 1851 to Jan. 1852 for clothes
- Hilliard GIBBS - Feb 1854 for making coat, shirts, drawers and socks and for 12 month board
- B. CRAVEN - 1855 (President of Normal College)
- Thos. R GIBBS, Sheriff - 1848 for taxes and for 1849
- Fred S. ROPER, Sheriff - 1850 for taxes
- Mary NORTHAN - mother of Thomas John's mother, Nancy
- William MARSHALL - father of John MARSHALL from New Bern died in 1813
- John S. BURRUS and Allen BURRUS - signed guardian bond with Robert BURRUS May 1853 for $1500
- Robert BURRUS, John S. BURRUS and F.S. ROPER - signed guardian bond May 1841 for $100
- Guardian acct. submitted for settlement 1841 thru 1857 for Thomas John MARSHALL
- John NORTHAN - guardian to Thomas John MARSHALL May 1839 to 1842
- John S. NORTHAN and Solomon NORTHAN - summoned to court by Robert M. BURRUS Feb. 1858
- John S. and Solomon were Thomas John MARSHALL's uncles--Nancy's brothers
- Rent received on NORTHAN house and David GIBBS house. David GIBBS married Nancy's sister Elizabeth who died prior to 1840. Elizabeth had a child by David GIBBS named Zachary who was an heir to John NORTHAN's estate.
- John MARSHALL was Thomas John MARSHALL's father and Nancy W. NORTHAN was his mother. Edward MARSHALL appears in guardian papers Aug. 1837 with John NORTHAN, Wallace STOW and Hezekiah FARROW signing bond for $1000 and John NORTHAN as guardian. I suspect that Edward was a son of John and Nancy's who did not live very long. John's father was Capt. William MARSHALL of Carteret then Craven County. Sarah SPENCER, daughter of Edward and Margaret SPENCER of Hyde Co., was John's mother. John apparently had a sister Nancy who is listed in guardian files with John and having John NORTHAN as their guardian. They are both listed as minors in 1819, 1820 and 11 Sept 1821. Estate papers of William MARSHALL divide sales of negro slaves between John MARSHALL and Benjamin SAUNDERSON. Benjamin was the husband of Nancy MARSHALL.
- Benjamin SPENCER was guardian of John MARSHALL May 1824 - 1829 when Benj. became deceased. John T. DAVIS became Adm'r. of William MARSHALL's estate? or of John MARSHALL's estate? 1820
- 1850 Hyde Co. census lists Thomas J. MARSHALL age 14, living in household with Robert M. BURRUS, age 38. Also living in same household were Mariah BURRUS, age 22, Frances E. BURRUS, age 9, George T. BURRUS, age 3, and Susannah BURRUS, age 81/2 months. Next to Frances as occupation is "school" but there is no such notation next to Thomas J. MARSHALL.
- John S. BURRUS is also listed within two households of Robert as a farmer with $10,010 in real estate. John NORTHAN, age 19, is also living in the same household and listed as a laborer.
- Richard REDDICK, age 48, is listed as a school teacher living in the household of Thomas BURRUS.
- Benj. R. SAUNDERSON, Allen BURRUS and Dixon SWINDELL have signed an Adm. bond in the sum of $10,000 dated 31 Nov 1840 for John NORTHAN so that Benj. R. SAUNDERSON can be his Adm. in the presence of D.G. WESTON. John NORTHAN died intestate in 1840 and was indebted for about the sum of $1000 per the Adm. report dated Feb. Term 1841. He died with insufficient funds to pay his debts but possessed a negro woman named Easter and her youngest child who are being requested permission to sell for the purpose of paying the debts.
Sources: Hyde Co. Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions and Julian Mann Private Collection Hyde Co. at N.C. Archives. Written on a piece of paper as indicated. Titled: Negro Slaves.
Return to Hyde County Home Page