James Franklin Cahoon Bible Record
[Kindly submitted by Donald E. Giles of Virginia Beach, Va., great-grandson of James F. Cahoon.]
[The below 3 pages were torn from the original Bible of unknown whereabouts.]
James F. Cahoon son of Sylvanous Cahoon and Emily F. Jefferson, Daughter [torn] was united in matrimony April 14th 1880.
Daniel W. Cahoon Son of Stonewall Jackson Cahoon & Wife Elizabeth was born Nov. 11, 1885.
George Sylvanous Cahoon Son of James F. and Emily F. Cahoon Was born in Hyde Co. Jan. 4th 1881.
Ida Frances Cahoon Daughter of James F. and Emily F. Cahoon Was born in Beaufort Co. Dec. 9th 1882.
Luther Vance Cahoon Son of James F. and Emily F. Cahoon Was born in Hy[torn] Feb. 7th 1885.
Minnie Irene Cahoon Daughter of James F. and Emily F. Cahoon Was born July 22nd 1887.
William Junious Cahoon Son of Jas. F. and Emily F. Cahoon was born in Hyde Co. Oct. the 11th 1889.
Harriet Elisebeth Squires, Daughter of Jacob Squires & Elisebeth [torn] born July ? 1831.
Hariet Elisebeth Squires died October the 12 1892.
Charlottie Jane Squires Daughter of Jacob Squires and Elisebeth his [torn].
Charlottie [torn] departed this life October the 22 1894.
Sally an Squires Daughter of Jacob Squires and Elisebeth his Wife was born [torn].
Adline Cornelious Squires Daughter of Jacob Squires and Elisebeth his wife was born August the 3 1824.
Genealogy of James Franklin Cahoon
Isaiah Cahoon (b. 1790-1800 - d. before Oct. Term 1834 Tyrrell Co.) married Sarah Banks in Tyrrell Co., NC on January 14, 1812. He married Orpha ______ after 1819. Isaiah and Sarah had the following children:
- James Cahoon born circa 1813
- Sarah Cahoon born circa 1815
- Sylvanous Cahoon born October 25, 1817
- Abi Cahoon born October 25, 1817
- William Cahoon born ???
- Mary Cahoon born ???
Sylvanous Cahoon born Oct. 25, 1817 in Tyrrell Co. and died Dec. 6, 1899 in Hyde Co. He married Olive Sawyer (1825 - c 1859) in Tyrrell Co. in 1840 and they had 8 children. After the death of Olive, Sylvanous married Affa "Affie" M. (Sawyer) Taft in Tyrrell Co. on June 10, 1860. Affie was the daughter of Levin Sawyer and Levina Smith of Tyrrell Co. Sylvanous and Affie had the following children:
- James Franklin Cahoon born March 6, 1861.
- Stonewall Jackson Cahoon born in 1862 & died before 1900. He married Elizabeth Davis in the Currituck Twp. of Hyde Co. on July 6, 1884.
Sylvanous married for the 3rd time to Polly Stow (born Aug. 1830) on April 28, 1865 in Hyde Co. and they had at least one child, Sarah F. Cahoon, who was born in 1869. Sylvanous is buried in Mount Olive Church of Christ Cemetery in Ponzer, Hyde Co., NC
James Franklin Cahoon was born March 6, 1861 in Tyrrell Co. and died March 26, 1936 in the St. Bride's section of Norfolk, Virginia. He is buried in the Good Hope Methodist Church Cemetery in Great Bridge, Va. He first married Emily Frances "Emma" Jefferson in the Currituck Twp. of Hyde Co. on April 14, 1880. Emily Frances was the daughter of George W. Jefferson (1818 - 1897) and Sarah Ann "Sally" Squires (1822 - bef. April 1880) and was born Jan. 21, 1850 in Beaufort Co., NC and died Oct. 30, 1915. She is buried in Mount Olive Church of Christ Cemetery in Ponzer, Hyde Co., NC. James Franklin Cahoon and Emily Jefferson had the following children:
- George Sylvanous Cahoon born Jan. 4, 1881 in Hyde Co. & died on Nov. 18, 1968 in Norfolk, Va. He is buried in Rosewood Memorial Cemetery in Virginia Beach, Va. He married Neva May Phillips in Norfolk on Nov. 9, 1904 and after her death in 1922 he married Hattie Hitchings in Norfolk on Nov. 1, 1924.
- Ida Frances Cahoon was born Dec. 9, 1882 in Beaufort Co. & died March 31, 1947. She married James McCoy Ainsley in 1904. Ida and James are both buried in Mount Olive Church of Christ Cemetery in Ponzer.
- Luther Vance Cahoon was born Feb. 7, 1885 in Hyde Co. & died in Rocky Mount, NC on April 15, 1972. He married Missouri Florence Congleton at the home of John H. Jefferson in the Long Acre District of Beaufort Co. on Sept. 29, 1907. Luther and Missouri are both buried in Mount Olive Church of Christ Cemetery in Ponzer.
- Minnie Irene Cahoon was born July 22, 1887 in Ponzer, Hyde Co., NC & died in Swan Quarter on March 4, 1972. She married Timothy Albert Jones circa 1908. Minnie and Timothy are both buried in Mount Olive Church of Christ Cemetery in Ponzer.
- William Junius Cahoon was born Oct. 11, 1889 in Hyde Co. & died Dec. 26, 1955 in Norfolk, Va. He married Helen F. _____. William Junius and Helen are both buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery in Norfolk, Va.
James Franklin Cahoon married for the 2nd time to Mary Ann Simmons (1885 - 1964) in Scranton, Hyde Co. on March 16, 1916 and they had 5 children:
- Myrtle Delilah Cahoon was born April 15, 1917 in Ponzer & died in Chesapeake, Va. on Jan. 28, 1980. She married Mike Olah, Jr. They are both buried in Riverside Cemetery in Norfolk, Va.
- Monroe Delton Cahoon was born Oct. 29, 1918 in the Currituck Twp. of Hyde Co. & died Sept. 25, 1961. He is buried in the Good Hope Methodist Church Cemetery in St. Bride's, Va.
- Sidney Cahoon was born in the Currituck Twp. of Hyde Co. on Feb. 21, 1920 & died in Nashville, Davidson Co., Tennessee on June 2, 1992.
- Queenie Cahoon was born in the Currituck Twp. of Hyde Co. on Sept. 10, 1921. She married Fred Garrett.
- Kinzie Cahoon was born in St. Bride's, Va. on Dec. 25, 1923 & died in Belhaven, Beaufort Co., NC on Sept. 22, 1999. He married Josephine Wilburn Hollman. Kinzie is buried in Mount Olive Church of Christ Cemetery in Ponzer.
© 2002McGowan / Sheppard