The following records have been abstracted from the Sandy Grove Presbyterian Church Sessional Minutes covering the years 1866 through 1924. There is much more information available to the researcher from microfilm #R.052.08001 at North Carolina Department of Archives and History in Raleigh, N.C. What you will see here has been carefully abstracted and represents only a small portion of this church's records.
The congregation of Sandy Grove Presbyterian Church
was organized in 1855 in Cumberland County on land which in 1907 became
Hoke County. The original church was built in 1854
and remodeled 1917. By 1922 the U S Government had
purchased this land and currently maintains this
beautiful old church and cemetery. (Located at the intersection of Sandy Grove
and Plank Roads)
1872 October 27. The Session met and was opened with prayer by the moderator, Rev. Neill McKay. Elders, Peter Monroe, Archibald McLeod and J. M. Currie were present as Murdoch Campbell presented himself before the Session as a candidate for church membership. After due examination, he was received into full communion with this church. Rodrick and John McCaskill were dismissed at their own request to Center Church in Robeson County. Closed with prayer. Peter Monroe, Clerk
1876 October 1. At a meeting of the Session held on this day David Fairly the moderator was present with Elders, P. Monroe, Archibald McLeod, D. K. McDuffie, J. A. Gillis, and N. S. Blue. The meeting was opened with prayer by the moderator. Anna McLeod and Catherine V. Campbell presented themselves before the Session as candidates for church membership. After due examination they were received into full communion with the church. Closed with prayer.
1877 May 6. Catharine Leslie, Sallie A. Wilson and Margaret J. Currie presented themselves before the Session as candidates for church membership. After due examination they were received into full communion with the church. Closed with prayer.
1884 September 28. A meeting of the Session was opened with prayer by Moderator, Rev. David Fairley. Present were Elders, Archibald McLeod, Joseph G. Skull, D. K. McDuffie, Peter Monroe, N. S. Blue, J. A. Gillis. Christianna Jane Clark and Neill A. McLeod and presented themselves before the Session as candidates for church membership. After due examination they were received into full communion with the church. Closed with prayer.
1885 April 26. Alexander Campbell was received into this church on certificate from Sardis Church. A. D. McLeod and wife Sallie Ann were dismissed at their own request from this church to join Philadelphia Church in Robeson County.
1885 November 21. The following persons appeared before the Session and after due examination, they having made a satisfactory confession of their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, were admitted to the sealing ordinance of the Lords Supper. Norman C. McLeod, Duncan J. Guin, Duncan Ray, Duncan M. Campbell, Daniel J. Blue, Florah McLeod, Emma A. Monroe, Margaret Eliza Gillis, Catharine Ann Patterson, Effie Christian McDuffie, Margaret Ann Monroe, Sara Jane Ray, John C. Ray, Lauchlin A. Bethune, William C. Guin, Daniel N. Leslie, Daniel A. McLeod, Martha Jane Monroe, Mary C. Ray, Margaret Leslie, Lovedy Catherine McDuffie, Florah S. Leslie, Sarah Catharine Gillis, Alice McLeod, James A. Blue, James Wilson, Alexander Canady, William D. Ray and Duncan and Daniel M. McDuffie. Closed with prayer. J. Gillis, Clerk.
1893 August 20. The meeting of the Session held this day Rev. David Fairley, moderator, present with Elders, J. A. Gillis, D. J. Patterson, N. S. Blue, D. J. Gillis, D. K. McDuffie. The meeting was opened with prayer by the moderator. The delegate to attend the meeting of Presbytery at Laurinburg reported to the Session that he was unable to attend. The Session then proceeded to appoint M. C. Campbell Superintendant of Sunday School at Blue's School House, together with a competent corps of teachers. There being no other business, the Session adjourned. Closed with prayer. D. K. McDuffie, Clerk Pro.Tem.
1894 October 21. A[lexander?] Campbell dismissed at his own request to Bethesda. [Bethesda Presbyterian Church in Aberdeen, Moore County, North Carolina]
1903 March 29. The Session met with Rev. D. Fairley. Elders present, D. J. Gillis, A. C. Monroe. Mr. & Mrs. L. McDuffie and Mr. H[ugh?] A. Ray were granted letters of dismissal to join the church at Floralla, Florida. The Session was opened and closed with prayer. A. C. Monroe, Clerk.
1905 April 9. Deacon, M. C. Campbell officially resigned as treasurer of Sandy Grove Church, whereupon after inviting the Deaconate to sit with the Elders, S. J. Cameron, Deacon was unanimously chosen to serve as treasurer.
1907 July 28. Beulah Scot Campbell a member of Galatia Church was
received by certificate as a regular member of this church. M. A. Patterson,
TRUSTEES: John C. Currie - Relieved September 2, 1887
Angus Ray - Relieved September 2, 1887
Neill McK. Blue - Relieved August 1, 1883
Duncan J. Patterson - Relieved September 11, 1886
L. A. Blue - Elected August 1, 1883
Samuel A. Cameron - Elected September 11, 1886
Murdoch Campbell - Elected September 24, 1887
Alexander B. Cameron - Elected March 6, 1921
Neill A. McFadyen - Elected March 6, 1921
Back to Hoke County Church & Cemetery Records